"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 pm

mint0h wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Ending 6 is sung in English by Elliot Coleman.

Source: https://twitter.com/elliotcoleman/statu ... 24544?s=21
I see they've opted for professional singers now, compared to the days of Kai.
I think part of that may be that remote recording technology has just reached the point where they don't have to stick solely to voice actors in the Dallas area anymore. For that matter, it doesn't even sound like Sean Schemmel is recording his dialogue in Dallas anymore, and instead records it at a studio in LA called North Hollywood Sound. Along similar lines, Brian Drummond said that he still hasn't even been to Dallas, and recorded all of his lines for Clone Vegeta at a studio in Vancouver.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
mint0h wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Ending 6 is sung in English by Elliot Coleman.

Source: https://twitter.com/elliotcoleman/statu ... 24544?s=21
I see they've opted for professional singers now, compared to the days of Kai.
I think part of that may be that remote recording technology has just reached the point where they don't have to stick solely to voice actors in the Dallas area anymore. For that matter, it doesn't even sound like Sean Schemmel is recording his dialogue in Dallas anymore, and instead records it at a studio in LA called North Hollywood Sound. Along similar lines, Brian Drummond said that he still hasn't even been to Dallas, and recorded all of his lines for Clone Vegeta at a studio in Vancouver.
Check out James Arnold Taylor's YouTube channel. Several years ago, he uploaded some videos where he recorded for Star Wars: The Clone Wars over an internet call from a makeshift studio he set up at his house rather than go into the studio to demonstrate how he records his voice work. If he can do that with a DIY setup at his house, a more professional studio should be able to do the same, if not more.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Scsigs wrote:Check out James Arnold Taylor's YouTube channel. Several years ago, he uploaded some videos where he recorded for Star Wars: The Clone Wars over an internet call from a makeshift studio he set up at his house rather than go into the studio to demonstrate how he records his voice work. If he can do that with a DIY setup at his house, a more professional studio should be able to do the same, if not more.
I'm familiar with the video you're talking about, but that's not quite an accurate description. He was recording a promo for the show in-character as Obi-Wan, not actual dialogue. It's the norm in the VO industry to record promos from a home studio (for the most part), but if you're playing an actual character in the content of an episode, it's the norm to go into a professional studio.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:26 pm

This might be slightly off topic, but god damn is the first half of Episode 62 ugly. Almost original episode 5 levels. Not only is all the art off, the animation is stiff and barely existent, but the content is rubbish as well.

Trunks comes off this massive transformation (which is already one of my most hated part of the series) and immediately gets owned by Black with a simple kick. Really terrible.

As for the dub work this week I think it continues to be of a very high quality. I don't remember Chi Chi getting on my nerves so much in past arcs though. Could just be her dialogue is written to be more whiny but her voice also seems to be straining a lot more and be a higher pitch or something.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 10, 2018 5:30 pm

nato25 wrote:This might be slightly off topic, but god damn is the first half of Episode 62 ugly. Almost original episode 5 levels. Not only is all the art off, the animation is stiff and barely existent, but the content is rubbish as well.

Trunks comes off this massive transformation (which is already one of my most hated part of the series) and immediately gets owned by Black with a simple kick. Really terrible.

As for the dub work this week I think it continues to be of a very high quality. I don't remember Chi Chi getting on my nerves so much in past arcs though. Could just be her dialogue is written to be more whiny but her voice also seems to be straining a lot more and be a higher pitch or something.
Chichi's VA has been having problems between sounding like she usually does & having a more strained rasp in her voice since Super's dub started. It doesn't make any sense to me, since Kai TFC's dub doesn't have it & it was only recorded 2-3 years prior to Super's. Maybe it's how Sabat's directing her nowadays, but she never had that before & it's, honestly, off-putting when she suddenly doesn't have it anymore.
I mean, Kara Edwards has also been inconsistent in her Goten voice since Super's dub started too. She constantly struggles between sounding like a little boy & a little girl when it comes to Goten, which is definitely weird since I loved her more softer approach to Goten in Kai TFC & Battle of Gods, plus the newer games, but it sounds like Sabat's not hearing the difference when directing her in Super, so they don't do retakes of the off lines. It's similar to Schemmel doing Goku Black, where he's either Posh, lightly British, uppercrust, or just doing a deeper take on his normal Goku voice depending on the episode & scene. It's inconsistent as all hell. You'd think the actors would know when they're being off too, but I guess not.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 am

Scsigs wrote:
nato25 wrote:This might be slightly off topic, but god damn is the first half of Episode 62 ugly. Almost original episode 5 levels. Not only is all the art off, the animation is stiff and barely existent, but the content is rubbish as well.

Chichi's VA has been having problems between sounding like she usually does & having a more strained rasp in her voice since Super's dub started. It doesn't make any sense to me, since Kai TFC's dub doesn't have it & it was only recorded 2-3 years prior to Super's. Maybe it's how Sabat's directing her nowadays, but she never had that before & it's, honestly, off-putting when she suddenly doesn't have it anymore.
I mean, Kara Edwards has also been inconsistent in her Goten voice since Super's dub started too. She constantly struggles between sounding like a little boy & a little girl when it comes to Goten, which is definitely weird since I loved her more softer approach to Goten in Kai TFC & Battle of Gods, plus the newer games, but it sounds like Sabat's not hearing the difference when directing her in Super, so they don't do retakes of the off lines. It's similar to Schemmel doing Goku Black, where he's either Posh, lightly British, uppercrust, or just doing a deeper take on his normal Goku voice depending on the episode & scene. It's inconsistent as all hell. You'd think the actors would know when they're being off too, but I guess not.
While I can't say I've seen the dubbed episodes, I always hear a light British accent from the clips I've seen.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 am

It may be the direction. Because people at Kamehacon asked her to say lines and she used her normal pre DBS voice

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:

It may be the direction. Because people at Kamehacon asked her to say lines and she used her normal pre DBS voice
Does Sabat think screechy Chichi sounds good? If so, he needs his ears checked.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm

I thought Cranz performance this episode was great. You genuinely felt Chichi's care for Goku in this episode, she wasn't anywhere as annoying in this episode at all.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Seeing how no one's discussing it, I'm guessing nothing noteworthy happened in the dub last night?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 13, 2018 8:57 pm

shadd21 wrote:Seeing how no one's discussing it, I'm guessing nothing noteworthy happened in the dub last night?
Oh, the dub was great like always. It's just that the episode was just uneventful in terms of the dub doing anything noteworthy other than being great. The next truly noteworthy thing won't happen until 66, I believe.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Vegeta's beatdown on Black here was on point, I'm glad they nailed that. One of my favourite scenes in the arc.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 am

Scsigs wrote:
shadd21 wrote:Seeing how no one's discussing it, I'm guessing nothing noteworthy happened in the dub last night?
Oh, the dub was great like always. It's just that the episode was just uneventful in terms of the dub doing anything noteworthy other than being great. The next truly noteworthy thing won't happen until 66, I believe.
65, it has Fused Zamasu and the Father/Son Galick Gun

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
65, it has Fused Zamasu and the Father/Son Galick Gun
Ah. Forgot about that one.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Vegeta's beatdown on Black here was on point, I'm glad they nailed that. One of my favourite scenes in the arc.
I've been waiting a long time to see how they'd handle what he said to Black and I'm more than happy to say it was worth the wait.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 am

Prince Vegeta > Vegeta-sama.

But yes great episode, finally get that Angel knowledge drop totally forgot the dub hadn't had it yet lol. That moment when Goku and Vegeta slammed Zamasu and Black respectively at the same time was very satisfying. Only nitpick this episode is wish they had Vegeta call Goku a "fool/idiot" rather than "clown" when beating on Black, I hate whenever they use "clown" and they started bringing it back in Kai TFC /:

I have no idea why people blame next episodes seal on Goku when Roshi clearly here didn't give it to him nor even after be like "Goku you forgot this" just sat there smug.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Prince Vegeta > Vegeta-sama.

But yes great episode, finally get that Angel knowledge drop totally forgot the dub hadn't had it yet lol. That moment when Goku and Vegeta slammed Zamasu and Black respectively at the same time was very satisfying. Only nitpick this episode is wish they had Vegeta call Goku a "fool/idiot" rather than "clown" when beating on Black, I hate whenever they use "clown" and they started bringing it back in Kai TFC /:

I have no idea why people blame next episodes seal on Goku when Roshi clearly here didn't give it to him nor even after be like "Goku you forgot this" just sat there smug.
I don't remember people blaming Goku for the seal, they blamed him for foolishly leaving it in the time machine.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Prince Vegeta > Vegeta-sama.

Don’t bother. I’ve been pointing out that fact for over a year.

Personally like ‘clown’.
OLKv3 wrote: I don't remember people blaming Goku for the seal, they blamed him for foolishly leaving it in the time machine.

They blame him for both. And he left the jar in the machine because he was trying to see if Trunks was still alive and he thought Vegeta had it. Foolish, but fans took it to new levels like Goku was brain dead.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 pm

[spoiler]A satisfying beatdown ruined by "I too will use the power of anger" and spawning clones that could beat both of them up.[/spoiler]

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Tue May 15, 2018 2:22 am

Eric Vale continues to get worse as Trunks and Schemmel continues to get better at Black.
Scsigs wrote:

The entire Super dub has been inconsistent to me. Every single actor is off and on every other line. Schemmel will go from phoning it in as Goku to giving a god-tier intense performance a minute later, Sabat will go from overdoing his delivery in one scene to then nailing it the next. I don't know if it's the voice direction by Sabat or what, because I know all of these people have talent. I hear it every week, slipping out in every other line.