"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 am

HeroR wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Episodes 21 - 26, visually speaking, is some of the worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced. And it's only salvaged by the fact it's arguably better written than the movie and Tate's awesomeness in episode 26.
Episodes 21-23 are not visually awful, at least not in the "worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced". The animation only nose drives in Episode 24-26.
Outside of a few good shots here and there, those chunk of episodes are really far from satisfactory, excluding Tate killing in episode 26.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Episodes 21 - 26, visually speaking, is some of the worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced. And it's only salvaged by the fact it's arguably better written than the movie and Tate's awesomeness in episode 26.
Episodes 21-23 are not visually awful, at least not in the "worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced". The animation only nose drives in Episode 24-26.
Out of a few good shots here and there, those chunk of episodes are really far from satisfactory, excluding Tate killing in episode 26.
I just watched Episodes 21-23 and the animation was okay. There was nothing that screamed, "OMG, this is ugly". As for Tate, I personally didn't like his shots in Episode 26.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
Hit!! wrote:I can't stop saying it, the dub makes this show so much better.

Of course, this is right before the ROF arc animation debacle. Let's see how 23 and 24 come out. These episodes weren't fixed for the blue rays, so expect the same shitty animation as we got back in the original Fuji TV run in 2015.
After episode 22, the art/animation began to take a turn to the worst in the arc with only a few decent scenes in between. Episode 27 was ok, but the art was really hard to look at in some scenes.
Episodes 21 - 26, visually speaking, is some of the worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced. And it's only salvaged by the fact it's arguably better written than the movie and Tate's awesomeness in episode 26.
Wow. Even the God of Destruction Beerus, one of the most powerful beings of the entire multiverse, hates the Resurrection F arc.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
superfan2024 wrote: After episode 22, the art/animation began to take a turn to the worst in the arc with only a few decent scenes in between. Episode 27 was ok, but the art was really hard to look at in some scenes.
Episodes 21 - 26, visually speaking, is some of the worst fucking shit the franchise has ever produced. And it's only salvaged by the fact it's arguably better written than the movie and Tate's awesomeness in episode 26.
Wow. Even the God of Destruction Beerus, one of the most powerful beings of the entire multiverse, hates the Resurrection F arc.
I specifically hate Episodes 21 - 26. All the padding and additional material that could have benefited the film in retelling it into an multi-episode arc went into the wrong areas for the most part (Ginyu-Frog, Gotenks, Piccolo dying) and in the areas it should have went into, it was handled poorly (Gohan, Tagoma, the Z-Fighters vs Freeza's Army, Jaco, Vegeta attaining SSJB). I do give it credit for making more sense of the Sorbet ring scene, axing the 1.3 million line and making Goku's characterization more balanced and less Blood Knight-ish than it was in the movie. But everything else about the Super retelling of Resurrection F was very lackluster compared to the Resurrection F movie. From animation, to music, and to use of characters. Episodes 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 27, and the first half of episode 26 are fine, but the rest of the episodes are just hot garbage.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Outside of a few good shots here and there, those chunk of episodes are really far from satisfactory, excluding Tate killing in episode 26.
It still pains me that Tate's best cut in Super came in the Freeza retelling.... People hype up over the #18 Goku fight but I still think his Freeza cut was better.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
HeroR wrote:
It still pains me that Tate's best cut in Super came in the Freeza retelling.... People hype up over the #18 Goku fight but I still think his Freeza cut was better.
In my opinion that cut is overhyped. The Goku vs 17 fight looked 10 times better.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Hit!! wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Outside of a few good shots here and there, those chunk of episodes are really far from satisfactory, excluding Tate killing in episode 26.
In my opinion that cut is overhyped. The Goku vs 17 fight looked 10 times better.
Funny I think the #17 one is overhyped. The art direction with the sun and orange skies etc I think makes people think the cut is better than it actually is. It's not even in my top 5 cuts of the series anymore.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Toonami marathons AoT July 1st....this means the Champa arc is now pushed back 3 weeks to when it was supposed to start. Fantastic...

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Toonami does marathons. I understand the frustration but this is something we're going to have to get used to. It's not the first time and it definitely won't be the last time that we get a slight delay.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Yeah. I share the feeling of wanting the dub to reach the new martial as fast as possible but delays and or breaks are to be expected. Dragonball Super isn't Toonamis only show so sometimes other shows are going to get more attention.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Is this truly considered a delay? Aren't these Toonami schedules crafted well ahead of their air dates, implicating awareness of general audiences? I'm seeking clarification if any statement, regarding Champa arc's debut, guaranteed a set date. If not, I don't think there's any foul present. It's not as if Fuji TV's broadcasts are always weekly either.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Nejishiki wrote:Is this truly considered a delay? Aren't these Toonami schedules crafted well ahead of their air dates, implicating awareness of general audiences? I'm seeking clarification if any statement, regarding Champa arc's debut, guaranteed a set date. If not, I don't think there's any foul present. It's not as if Fuji TV's broadcasts are always weekly either.
Well no marathons are announced well in advance regardless if they planned it then or not so yes expecting Super to air every Saturday at 8/11pm should be expected.

What's frustrating is Super, airs twice a night the 8pm should be left alone if Toonami wants to do marathons. It's absolutely different to FujiTV.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm

"Delay" might have been the wrong word to choose, but I think the use of the word here is meant to say that it's not coming as soon as we expected. I don't think anyone is actually saying there is foul play or mis-scheduling.

I'm just unaware of what other word to use besides delay right now.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Sure, I understand expectations may be formed. The overall point I'm reaching is that there's precedence for Toonami's scheduling, pre-dating Dragon Ball Kai & Dragon Ball Super. Perhaps one may find it unrealistic to expect a particular standard granted for our series when, to my knowledge, a standard for sudden change doesn't exist for anything else on their roster (it's internally consistent). We may have Dragon Ball marathons in the future, too (featuring one new episode) & I'm sure groups may find issue with that.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Hopefully this is the appropriate thread to comment on this, but I hope I'm not the first person to say I actually vastly prefer Schemmel's base Black voice over his Rose one.

That's not to say I don't have some criticisms for base Black's voice - at times it's way too scratchy and gruff for my liking - and I don't even necessarily have a problem with the overall change in tone and pitch for the Rose transformation, but the random British accent definitely kills the vibe for me. It's just so jarring because it comes out of nowhere and isn't consistent with Zamasu in any of his other incarnations. I hope that for the show they can find a nice middle ground between the two voices that doesn't involve sudden left-field shifts in mannerism like this.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Hopefully this is the appropriate thread to comment on this, but I hope I'm not the first person to say I actually vastly prefer Schemmel's base Black voice over his Rose one.

That's not to say I don't have some criticisms for base Black's voice - at times it's way too scratchy and gruff for my liking - and I don't even necessarily have a problem with the overall change in tone and pitch for the Rose transformation, but the random British accent definitely kills the vibe for me. It's just so jarring because it comes out of nowhere and isn't consistent with Zamasu in any of his other incarnations. I hope that for the show they can find a nice middle ground between the two voices that doesn't involve sudden left-field shifts in mannerism like this.
It's also important that he has the same voice in both forms. There's no reason for the sudden change when he transforms.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Toonami marathons AoT July 1st....this means the Champa arc is now pushed back 3 weeks to when it was supposed to start. Fantastic...
That blows big time. This is Toei's fault really as if they would get with times and allow simuldubs we wouldn't be as far behind as we are. By the way I have a feeling that the last episode we see this year will be 46 as it makes sense to start 2018 with the Trunks arc.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:49 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Toonami marathons AoT July 1st....this means the Champa arc is now pushed back 3 weeks to when it was supposed to start. Fantastic...
That blows big time. This is Toei's fault really as if they would get with times and allow simuldubs we wouldn't be as far behind as we are. By the way I have a feeling that the last episode we see this year will be 46 as it makes sense to start 2018 with the Trunks arc.
The fault absolutely is with Toei and this dumbass TV deal they want, this isn't 2000 anymore heck it ain't even 2010 anymore with Kai1.0, the fact that Kai 2.0 took forever to get slotted on a station should have been a warning sign to Toei but nope. They should have licensed the show to FUNi a year later and then have them release 12-13 ep BDs/stream on FUNiNow every couple of months like they're other big shows and things would be good. But no Toei have to be extra, it's now why the UK is completely without Super but we're getting toys cuz kids definitely watch a subbed simulcast!

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:33 am

Toei is the company that forced 4Kids to take One Piece when 4Kids just wanted another show they had, despite Funimation and Viz both bidding for it. Nothing they do will ever be as stupid as that, it's just a shame to see they haven't learnt anything.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Toei is the company that forced 4Kids to take One Piece when 4Kids just wanted another show they had, despite Funimation and Viz both bidding for it. Nothing they do will ever be as stupid as that, it's just a shame to see they haven't learnt anything.
Being honest though, 4Kids could have turned down the package deal
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)