"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 am

Damn, that is a major improvement from his gruff SSJ4 voice. More composed yet still leaves an intimidating presence. Seems that Schemmel did take advice from his fans after all.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 am

It sounds like his normal SSj4 voice in the dub and not as rough as it was in XV2 if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 am

https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 2894384129

EDIT: Not making assumptions yet, but perhaps this is how Sean is justifying why Rose sounded like he did in the games.

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 5497555968

This is what Sabat had to say, they're playing us right now.
Last edited by mint0h on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 am

mecha3000 wrote:I understand the replies who don't like Sean's Black, but don't attack the dub for something as simple as changing a line or two. The dub is not required to follow the original verbatim, as long as it doesn't completely go against the original intent. That's all that matters. Also, Nozawa's Black was her own thing. Schemmel's should be the same way.
so we shouldent criticize any dub because it independent? yes i am criticizing the dub and not schemmel because schemmel is an actor. its the director who decide how everything will go. this is funimation fault for telling him to no make a variation to his voice. no it dosent work. I'm sorry. its just dosent. because black is not goku and goku is not black. its the same body with a diffrent soul compleatly. and therefore the same goku voice formula dosent work. funimation dosent understand the charecter of goku black. this is like giving darth vader the voice of anakin skywalker when he was young. it dosent work

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:39 am

Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:Episode 48 Preview https://youtu.be/aY5EaD2vKcE
ok now its confimred. black dub voice suck balls. thats exectly the same voice as goku. wtf? there is no variation whatsovever. cant believe funimation is lazy. way to kill all the style of the original black.
What the hell did you expect? Sean's Goku is already pretty serious as far as the voice goes, especially when he fights. Black is entirely more serious as Goku, so the performance matches the tone. I mean, Nozawa has a more childlike Goku while Sean sounds like Goku went through puberty. You're not gonna have a 1:1 translation with Goku in English. Set the right standards, man.
i expected a voice that has his own uniqe style and not the identical goku voice.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:40 am

Man Schemmel killed it as Black. Cant wait to hear more of him

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 am

Matches what'd I'd expect Black to sound like in English anyway, still prefer Nozawa by a mile but we'll see as the ark progresses.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 am

puar wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:I understand the replies who don't like Sean's Black, but don't attack the dub for something as simple as changing a line or two. The dub is not required to follow the original verbatim, as long as it doesn't completely go against the original intent. That's all that matters. Also, Nozawa's Black was her own thing. Schemmel's should be the same way.
so we shouldent criticize any dub because it independent? yes i am criticizing the dub and not schemmel because schemmel is an actor. its the director who decide how everything will go. this is funimation fault for telling him to no make a variation to his voice. no it dosent work. I'm sorry. its just dosent. because black is not goku and goku is not black. its the same body with a diffrent soul compleatly. and therefore the same goku voice formula dosent work. funimation dosent understand the charecter of goku black. this is like giving darth vader the voice of anakin skywalker when he was young. it dosent work
Like I said, I understand the replies who don't like Sean's Black. Also like I mentioned - People are seemingly getting mad over something as simple as Trunks not saying "Bastard". Is it really that big a deal? Perhaps, they'll even add the line in for the home release. But if they don't, who cares? There's still the original version. Like Sscigs (I know I might've butched that) mentioned, Schemmel is less childlike and he's also a man unlike Nozawa so the inflections in his voice are going to sound a little different. Still, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:42 am

Trunks he is alright generally the same not a big fan of the "you killed her" line

Mai is alright

Black is...........I don't know. I was expecting him to use the Rose voice but this new voice leaves me feeling empty
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:43 am

puar wrote:
he really supposed too? because nozawa black voice sound nothing like goku. sean voice sound identical to goku which is wierd. black suppose to sound sinister which sean dosent deliver with his voice. this is just goku with another charecter. the all point of nozawa voice is that black is the soul of zamasu in goku's body and therefore there is a combination. this is however. just goku. it sound wierd.
She does. She just speaks in a lower and softer range. In fact, it her Super Saiyan 4 Goku voice. There is no combination of Zamasu and Goku's voice in Black, outside of Black being far more polite than Goku.

Sean's Black does sound sinister, while still sounding like Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 am

mecha3000 wrote:
puar wrote:
Like I said, I understand the replies who don't like Sean's Black. Also like I mentioned - People are seemingly getting mad over something as simple as Trunks not saying "Bastard". Is it really that big a deal? Perhaps, they'll even add the line in for the home release. But if they don't, who cares? There's still the original version. Like Sscigs (I know I might've butched that) mentioned, Schemmel is less childlike and he's also a man unlike Nozawa so the inflections in his voice are going to sound a little different. Still, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
its not much that he dident said bastard but the fact he said youve killed herrrrrrrrr like in the most cirngey voice possible and not just ''you killed her''

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 am

Your entitled to your opinion but i completely disagree. This is the perfect Black voice he needed to sound like goku but be a more sinister and arrogant and this is clearly obvious in the episode 47 45 secs and in the preview for 48. I am so glad they did what made sense. And Nozawa's black does sound like Goku watch episode 50 I think it is where they fight eachother for the first time.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 am

So, there's some people who wanted the Rose voice? And some people who didn't and are happy with Sean's new take? THIS IS THE STAR WARS FANDOM!!! RETREAT, RETREAT!!! DIVISION IN THE FANDOM!!! I REPEAT, DIVISION IN THE FANDOM!!! IMPOSSIBLE-TO-PLEASE-FANS INCOMING!!!

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 am

mecha3000 wrote:So, there's some people who wanted the Rose voice? And some people who didn't and are happy with Sean's new take? THIS IS THE STAR WARS FANDOM!!! RETREAT, RETREAT!!! DIVISION IN THE FANDOM!!! I REPEAT, DIVISION IN THE FANDOM!!! IMPOSSIBLE-TO-PLEASE-FANS INCOMING!!!
yes i absolutly loved the rose voice in xenoverse 2 of black and I've expected that. so this is half a good thing i guess because the majority of black is at his rose form. and yet i think this is quite wierd if he just change his voice compleatly from base to rose.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:It sounds like his normal SSj4 voice in the dub and not as rough as it was in XV2 if you ask me.
Not really. Though there's shades of the SS4 rasp there, it's only there enough to just be intimidating. It's about as much there as the rasp in Trunks' voice is, that's for sure.
mint0h wrote:https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status ... 2894384129
So, Rose is keeping the British accent in the dub then.
From what Sabat & Schemmel said there, it appears that they're just going to slowly introduce an accent, unlike in Xenoverse, so the shift isn't so jarring & it keeps an air of mystery about the character until the reveal for those not up to speed on the events of Super.
puar wrote:I expected a voice that has his own unique style and not the identical Goku voice.
It's NOT identical, though. Really listen to the preview clip. There's an added rasp to the voice that usually doesn't get affected unless Goku's SS3 at least. However, it's not even as much as THAT voice, since it's about as much rasp as Trunks' voice. Even SS Blue doesn't get that. Sean keeps his voice pretty clean. The voice is intimidation-based, since that's a part of Black's character. I'm assuming that it'll become more apparent for the differences between them as the arc goes on.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 am

So I got my uncle's reaction and he caught on pretty fast.

Me: What you think of the ending?

Uncle: it's a Kai in Goku's body.

Me: Based on the earring?

Uncle: yes that and he dresses like a kai (Like the little guy)

Hoping episode 56 throws him off.

That being said I love Blacks voice so far and super happy it's not the Batman Goku voice or the British voice.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:58 am

The Patrolman wrote:Trunks he is alright generally the same not a big fan of the "you killed her" line

Mai is alright

Black is...........I don't know. I was expecting him to use the Rose voice but this new voice leaves me feeling empty
The "You killed her" line DOES reek of narm to me, given the delivery.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:00 am

Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Trunks he is alright generally the same not a big fan of the "you killed her" line

Mai is alright

The "You killed her" line DOES reek of narm to me, given the delivery.
That was the worst line in the episode. They should have just kept bastard.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 am

Oh man the anticipation when it finally came to the moment!! Soo good.

As great as Nozawa's voice was, she basically only had one tone for Black and lacked range, especially compared to what Miki was doing with Zamasu. So I think if done right Sean can surpass her performance.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:16 am

TRIZACK wrote:So I got my uncle's reaction and he caught on pretty fast.

Me: What you think of the ending?

Uncle: it's a Kai in Goku's body.

Me: Based on the earring?

Uncle: yes that and he dresses like a kai (Like the little guy)

Hoping episode 56 throws him off.

That being said I love Blacks voice so far and super happy it's not the Batman Goku voice or the British voice.
Give him credit, most of the fandom didn't put that shit together until the reveal.