"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Goku didn't introduce himself to Zamasu as "Son," so for Zamasu to suddenly bring it up without proper setup would break the dub's continuity. We already have problems in Kai having continuity errors in the dub (also with TFC keeping in the Hell scenes in the animation for no reason, but I digress), plus Super has some script inconsistencies at times, so for Zamasu to scream it would break the dub's own internal consistency..
Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that recognized Vegeta.
Are we forgetting that Zamasu, before becoming Black, goes to ask Mr Know's Everything to tell him all about Goku?
I did forgot that. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Ajay wrote:Just popping in to shower Marsters' Zamasu with praise. I've not been particularly hot on the Future Trunks arc's dub so far, but he's freaking outstanding. It's tonally on-point, and his delivery is naturalistic, never once falling into that irritating 'anime dub' delivery. Really looking forward to hearing some of Zamasu's big speeches from him... you know, without crappy no-context video game directing this time.
Probably helps that this is his first anime dub.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Goku didn't introduce himself to Zamasu as "Son," so for Zamasu to suddenly bring it up without proper setup would break the dub's continuity. We already have problems in Kai having continuity errors in the dub (also with TFC keeping in the Hell scenes in the animation for no reason, but I digress), plus Super has some script inconsistencies at times, so for Zamasu to scream it would break the dub's own internal consistency..
Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that he recognized Vegeta.
...That's not how the body swap works. That's not even how Ginyu's body swap worked. The fact that he recognizes Vegeta doesn't make any sense. He has control over Goku's body & Goku's Saiyan genes apparently affect his mind a bit, but he wouldn't gain his memories, otherwise he'd know how to go Super Saiyan (which he did in the manga, but this is the anime's continuity here).

P.S. Imagine the way Han says "that's not how the Force works" for that first sentence of the second response, if you would.
Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that recognized Vegeta.
Are we forgetting that Zamasu, before becoming Black, goes to ask Mr Know's Everything to tell him all about Goku?
Oh wow, really? Then I guess that makes sense.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Ajay wrote:Just popping in to shower Marsters' Zamasu with praise. I've not been particularly hot on the Future Trunks arc's dub so far, but he's freaking outstanding. It's tonally on-point, and his delivery is naturalistic, never once falling into that irritating 'anime dub' delivery. Really looking forward to hearing some of Zamasu's big speeches from him... you know, without crappy no-context video game directing this time.
Probably helps that this is his first anime dub.
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that he recognized Vegeta.
...That's not how the body swap works. That's not even how Ginyu's body swap worked. The fact that he recognizes Vegeta doesn't make any sense. He has control over Goku's body & Goku's Saiyan genes apparently affect his mind a bit, but he wouldn't gain his memories, otherwise he'd know how to go Super Saiyan (which he did in the manga, but this is the anime's continuity here).

P.S. Imagine the way Han says "that's not how the Force works" for that first sentence of the second response, if you would.
He knows about Vegeta for the same reason he knows about Blue, he saw them being used on Godtube. Also, technically, didn't he kill Vegeta in his timeline?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 pm

JazzMazz wrote:He knows about Vegeta for the same reason he knows about Blue, he saw them being used on Godtube. Also, technically, didn't he kill Vegeta in his timeline?
He killed Chichi & Goten, but I don't think it's said if he killed anyone else. As far as we know, he hijacked Goku's body, transported to Earth to kill them, transported back to his realm, stole a Time Ring, & went to Trunks' future timeline. Not much else before that.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:He knows about Vegeta for the same reason he knows about Blue, he saw them being used on Godtube. Also, technically, didn't he kill Vegeta in his timeline?
He killed Chichi & Goten, but I don't think it's said if he killed anyone else. As far as we know, he hijacked Goku's body, transported to Earth to kill them, transported back to his realm, stole a Time Ring, & went to Trunks' future timeline. Not much else before that.
I still feel like their is some stuff that wasn't shown on screen. I'm sure Zamasu wouldn't be stupid enough to at least find out who the remaining powerful Saiyans are, especially, if they do in fact work in close quarters to the Gods.

Also, Trunks is Vegeta's son, I think that could also explain it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Considering Zamasu gets Goku's body, it's not surprising he would eventually know his full name and at least some of his memories, going by the fact that recognized Vegeta.
This was a major plot point... I mean, I know it was immediately followed with Black murdering Chichi and Goten, but come on, guys! :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:51 am

Zamasu knows Vegeta through God Tube and all the information Zuno provided him with.
"Oh dear...."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:07 am

Kanassa wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Are we forgetting that Zamasu, before becoming Black, goes to ask Mr Know's Everything to tell him all about Goku?
This was a major plot point... I mean, I know it was immediately followed with Black murdering Chichi and Goten, but come on, guys! :D
I don't watch the Japanese!

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 am

Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Oh wow, really? Then I guess that makes sense.
Oh ? Then how do you know that he killed Chichi and Goten ?
"Oh dear...."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 am

Kogu 87 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote: This was a major plot point... I mean, I know it was immediately followed with Black murdering Chichi and Goten, but come on, guys! :D
Oh ? Then how do you know that he killed Chichi and Goten ?
I don't watch the full episodes, but I keep up with spoilers & watch clips on YouTube.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 am

Kanassa wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Are we forgetting that Zamasu, before becoming Black, goes to ask Mr Know's Everything to tell him all about Goku?
I remember that, just not the part about Zuno. I haven’t been keeping up with the dub and I only saw the episode when it first aired so a lot of details are hazy.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 am

Goku and Beerus are something else, Whis crash landing on purpose 'cuz of their bickering and Goku casually trying to steal his food :lol:

Also re-watching this arc is so much better than I remember! And I found it to be pretty good back in JPN broadcast.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Not in Dragon Ball: Super, I reckon.
Which doesn't mean they won't have Zamasu scream it.
It is quite senseless to make an exception for episode 66. It's not like people remember that scene because Zamasu screamed 'Son Goku' as opposed to just 'Goku', they remember that scene because of Miki's astonishing voice acting.
Like I said, they did it before for Goku's Super Saiyan speech. He called himself Son Goku

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am

OLKv3 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Which doesn't mean they won't have Zamasu scream it.
It is quite senseless to make an exception for episode 66. It's not like people remember that scene because Zamasu screamed 'Son Goku' as opposed to just 'Goku', they remember that scene because of Miki's astonishing voice acting.
Like I said, they did it before for Goku's Super Saiyan speech. He called himself Son Goku
That is the most iconic scene in the entire franchise so it's different, and they never did it in Super anyway. That has nothing to do with 'Zamasu knowing Goku's full name'; even Chi Chi or Krillin know Goku's full name, yet they never called him 'Son Goku' in the Super dub, therefore it is for consistency's sake.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:21 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
That is the most iconic scene in the entire franchise so it's different, and they never did it in Super anyway. That has nothing to do with 'Zamasu knowing Goku's full name'; even Chi Chi or Krillin know Goku's full name, yet they never called him 'Son Goku' in the Super dub, therefore it is for consistency's sake.
He knows Goku's full name. He knows everything about Goku, he researches this before he decides to steal his body

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 am

OLKv3 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Like I said, they did it before for Goku's Super Saiyan speech. He called himself Son Goku
He knows Goku's full name. He knows everything about Goku, he researches this before he decides to steal his body
I know very well that Zamasu is aware of Goku's real name, that has nothing to do with the subject. Chi Chi and Bulma also know about Goku's real name, and have called him 'Son Goku' several times in the Super sub, yet they never did in the Super dub, so why would they make an exception for episode 66? It makes no sense at all. Either you aknowledge that Goku's full name is Son Goku since episode 1 of Super, or you don't at all.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:49 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
I know very well that Zamasu is aware of Goku's real name, that has nothing to do with the subject. Chi Chi and Bulma also know about Goku's real name, and have called him 'Son Goku' several times in the Super sub, yet they never did in the Super dub, so why would they make an exception for episode 66? It makes no sense at all. Either you aknowledge that Goku's full name is Son Goku since episode 1 of Super, or you don't at all.
They'd make an exception if they thought the scene was awesome or iconic, like they did with the SS Goku speech. That's the point. Like how they want to give Black an accent when he goes Rose, despite Zamasu not having an accent at all. Consistency doesn't matter if it sounds cool, Funimation has always operated by that rule
Not saying he'll say it for sure, but don't rule it out

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Alright guys, when the Episode 55 preview, comes out, expect our first look at who will be voicing The Grand Priest, who I still think will be Aaron Roberts.
I actually would prefer Aaron Paul.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Alright guys, when the Episode 55 preview, comes out, expect our first look at who will be voicing The Grand Priest, who I still think will be Aaron Roberts.
I actually would prefer Aaron Paul.
Wonder if Jesse Pinkman enjoys the occasional anime in between producing meth.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 am

So new DBS movie. I know FUNi have dubbed Fairy Tail new content while behind on the main anime and same for One Piece I believe so them dubbing the new movie next year (or hopefully December) doesn't seem out the question to be honest.

I'd hate it if they were restricted on dubbing the movie while the dub catches up. But given OP is a Toei property I feel less worried about that.