"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Grand Priest is called Grand Minister in this dub? That's odd.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Well guys, next week, this is it. The make it or break it episode, at least, for the dub. Episode 56. The debut of Super Saiyan Rosé. Will Sean Schemmel impress people with his new Rosé voice, or will this be the thing that will turn off everyone? Stay tuned and find out next week on Dragon Dub Super! (At least, this isn't over yet)
Eagerly awaiting the promo, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be his FighterZ voice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Well guys, next week, this is it. The make it or break it episode, at least, for the dub. Episode 56. The debut of Super Saiyan Rosé. Will Sean Schemmel impress people with his new Rosé voice, or will this be the thing that will turn off everyone? Stay tuned and find out next week on Dragon Dub Super! (At least, this isn't over yet)
Eagerly awaiting the promo, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be his FighterZ voice.
Sabat said it's not gonna be like Fighters.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Where? When?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:48 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Eagerly awaiting the promo, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be his FighterZ voice.
Where? When?
Pretty sure he's referencing when Sabat said they've refined the voice for the show after watching the arc. It would make sense , since the FighterZ dub was recorded before Super's dub of the Future Trunks Arc was from what we know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:52 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sabat said it's not gonna be like Fighters.
Where? When?
Pretty sure he's referencing when Sabat said they've refined the voice for the show after watching the arc. It would make sense , since the FighterZ dub was recorded before Super's dub of the Future Trunks Arc was from what we know.
I think it will be British, but more of an undertone instead of in your face. You kind of hear it in base Black.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:04 am

Marsters is fantastic as Zamasu! I am glad that he did justice to the character. I'm looking forward to hearing the chemistry between Sean and Marsters.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:52 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Eagerly awaiting the promo, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be his FighterZ voice.
Where? When?
Sabat's reply to a fan when they said Rosé accent will be in DBS cuz it was in Fighters:

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 5497555968

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sabat said it's not gonna be like Fighters.
Where? When?
Sabat's reply to a fan when they said Rosé accent will be in DBS cuz it was in Fighters:

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 5497555968
That's Sabat saying it won't be in
But then Schemmel later says it will be in

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:23 pm

So...an interesting development in terms of Dragon Ball's digital distribution. FUNi released a clip of the original dub of Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle, in HD too. Sure enough, Path to Power & Curse of the Blood Rubies are on there too, in Fullscreen no less (are those movies in fullscreen on the DVDs too? I know the Z movies were animate to be cropped to widescreen). However, they screwed up the cover art for COTBR & label it as a Z movie & use Z's logo with a poster for Dead Zone, but I imagine they'll have this pointed out to the & fix it. They're only dubbed in English & the Japanese versions aren't available, unlike BOG & RF, but it's starting to become a reality. Dragon Ball on iTunes!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Scsigs wrote:So...an interesting development in terms of Dragon Ball's digital distribution. FUNi released a clip of the original dub of Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle, in HD too. Sure enough, Path to Power & Curse of the Blood Rubies are on there too, in Fullscreen no less (are those movies in fullscreen on the DVDs too? I know the Z movies were animate to be cropped to widescreen). However, they screwed up the cover art for COTBR & label it as a Z movie & use Z's logo with a poster for Dead Zone, but I imagine they'll have this pointed out to the & fix it. They're only dubbed in English & the Japanese versions aren't available, unlike BOG & RF, but it's starting to become a reality. Dragon Ball on iTunes!
Interesting. Any links?

Didn't like the Grand Priest name change. When he said let me show you the way I can't shake the feeling that his delivery was a direct reference to that Ugandan Knuckles meme making its way around the Internet.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm

nato25 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:So...an interesting development in terms of Dragon Ball's digital distribution. FUNi released a clip of the original dub of Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle, in HD too. Sure enough, Path to Power & Curse of the Blood Rubies are on there too, in Fullscreen no less (are those movies in fullscreen on the DVDs too? I know the Z movies were animate to be cropped to widescreen). However, they screwed up the cover art for COTBR & label it as a Z movie & use Z's logo with a poster for Dead Zone, but I imagine they'll have this pointed out to the & fix it. They're only dubbed in English & the Japanese versions aren't available, unlike BOG & RF, but it's starting to become a reality. Dragon Ball on iTunes!
Interesting. Any links?

Didn't like the Grand Priest name change. When he said let me show you the way I can't shake the feeling that his delivery was a direct reference to that Ugandan Knuckles meme making its way around the Internet.
There's a thread discussing it, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41562, where there's links to them, but you could also go to iTunes to find them too.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:I really hate how the Super dub has backslid from the quality of the Kai dub.
Uh oh. What’s going on with it? Too many liberties taken? I haven’t watched much of it yet.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 pm

What's the point of changing Grand Priest to Grand Minister?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:I really hate how the Super dub has backslid from the quality of the Kai dub.
Uh oh. What’s going on with it? Too many liberties taken? I haven’t watched much of it yet.
Bingo. Too many liberties.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:What's the point of changing Grand Priest to Grand Minister?
When talking in church terms, "minister" and "priest" mean more or less the same thing. With that in mind, I don't think it's so much a change as it is another valid translation choice. Lip flaps may have been a factor, too.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Since Sabat got Drummond to voice Copy Vegeta, I'll love him forever if he gets McNeil to voice Quitela with his Rattrap voice. Seriously, that voice would fit Quitela perfectly. If that doesn't happen, then let him voice one of the Universe 6 Namekians.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Minister feels too political for my liking. However I guess Priest never really made sense either as their don't seem to be any religious themes to his characters. I guess it's fine just takes a while to adjust to change.

And while they may be taking a few too many liberties I feel like they've only done it in places where the dialogue is ineffectual, such as with jokes. Like I haven't fact checked but I'm 99% sure Goku doesn't call Lord Beerus "Lord B" in the original subs.

There's not really a reason for that change but it doesn't affect anything negatively or change the current dynamic of Goku and Beerus' relationship. I also got a good laugh from it. I can see why purists would hate it.

I don't watch much anime but watching the Attack on Titan dub with the original subtitles on was pretty eye opening for how accurate a dub could be. Their sentences were very close to the original, mostly using words with the same meaning at all times just to make it sound more natural.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:What's the point of changing Grand Priest to Grand Minister?
When talking in church terms, "minister" and "priest" mean more or less the same thing. With that in mind, I don't think it's so much a change as it is another valid translation choice. Lip flaps may have been a factor, too.
I guess that makes sense.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 am

Huh, the Grand Priest sounds almost exactly like I thought he would. Can't really complain about that choice. :thumbup: