"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 am

Buzz has it Kefla will be coming to Xenoverse 2 (the game that just won't die, apparently), which means English voice actors for Caulifla and Kale. Kind of sucks that they might be debuting the fusion before the individuals, that will make it hard to judge the performances.

That's the last *big* casting decision left for the Super dub, and once again Xenoverse 2 is going to be the testing ground. It's funny how that game has just loomed over this whole production. There was the issues with Hit, which we all thought they'd solved by hiring a bigger name until this week's debacle brought it roaring back. You had the Sean Schemmel Goku Black controversy, James Marsters sounding drunk and bored as Zamasu, and to a lesser extent Jason Liebrechdt sounding not quite ready for prime time as Champa. Those somehow all worked out in the end. Only ones who sounded good from the very beginning were Clifford Chapin's Cabba, Greg Ayres' Frost and Caitlin Glass' Vados. Jury's still out on Patrick Seitz' Jiren, can't really judge since the Xenoverse 2 version might as well be a different character.

Interested to see how they handle Kefla.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Buzz has it Kefla will be coming to Xenoverse 2 (the game that just won't die, apparently), which means English voice actors for Caulifla and Kale. Kind of sucks that they might be debuting the fusion before the individuals, that will make it hard to judge the performances.

That's the last *big* casting decision left for the Super dub, and once again Xenoverse 2 is going to be the testing ground. It's funny how that game has just loomed over this whole production. There was the issues with Hit, which we all thought they'd solved by hiring a bigger name until this week's debacle brought it roaring back. You had the Sean Schemmel Goku Black controversy, James Marsters sounding drunk and bored as Zamasu, and to a lesser extent Jason Liebrechdt sounding not quite ready for prime time as Champa. Those somehow all worked out in the end. Only ones who sounded good from the very beginning were Clifford Chapin's Cabba, Greg Ayres' Frost and Caitlin Glass' Vados. Jury's still out on Patrick Seitz' Jiren, can't really judge since the Xenoverse 2 version might as well be a different character.

Well, there was a datamine last month with Dragon Ball Legends and Caulifla and Kale (not Kafla) were in that datamine. So we can look forward to that.
Caulifla best girl! :)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Buzz has it Kefla will be coming to Xenoverse 2 (the game that just won't die, apparently), which means English voice actors for Caulifla and Kale. Kind of sucks that they might be debuting the fusion before the individuals, that will make it hard to judge the performances.

The testing ground thing was something that never really occurred to me until now.

Anyway, is that game ever going to stop with the DLC updates? It's almost two years old at this point. I would've thought that they would've preferred to save this stuff for the third game.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote:

The testing ground thing was something that never really occurred to me until now.

Anyway, is that game ever going to stop with the DLC updates? It's almost two years old at this point. I would've thought that they would've preferred to save this stuff for the third game.
seeing how the third game isn’t likely coming out until 2020, i can see them doing DLC for a long time

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 am

Yes, lines like this ARE damaging. Not to people like us, but to the brand. Imagine two casual Dragon Ball fans talking, one who watched the dub and one who watched the sub.
"Hit is so cool" "He totally is! I love the donuts line" "The what?" "You know? That line he says before he kills Goku? It's time to make the donuts" "What the hell are you talking about?"

This is what Ajay was trying to say I think, it's 2018 and Funimation is creating a dub of Dragon Ball that will create confusion and separate the dub and sub as products.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:30 am

Mills will probably take over Freeza now. U.S arc and now movie in January. I hope he is able to make the character is own rather than to try and mimic Ayres.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mills will probably take over Freeza now. U.S arc and now movie in January. I hope he is able to make the character is own rather than to try and mimic Ayres.
The whole reason he was hired in the first place was because he was presumably the closest thing they had to a Chris Ayres soundalike.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Mills will probably take over Freeza now. U.S arc and now movie in January. I hope he is able to make the character is own rather than to try and mimic Ayres.
Mills' Freeza has been exceptional, so I don't mind if they continue the direction they take with his voicing of the character.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:01 am

Meaning no more Ayres as Freeza?
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 am

Let's be adults about Mills taking over, though.

Linda Young couldn't keep up with the dialogue delivery of the new scripts for the lip flaps as Frieza, and Chris Ayres is sadly very unwell.

Mills is completely fine in the role, and looking forward to what he does with it in the Universal Survival Arc and DBS: Broly

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 am

I like Mills and appreciate his particular take on the character but I will be disappointed if this is the case. There's just something about Ayres that I'm not sure any other English Freeza will be able to capture.

Obviously it would be beyond anyone's control and I wish Ayres the best but he will no doubt be missed if indeed this is all true.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:41 pm

Dubbed trailer for the movie; https://youtu.be/FHgm89hKpXU

That definitely sounds like Mignogna’s screams. Paragus’ voice sounds the same as ever too.
Also sounds like Daman Mills as Frieza

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Geekdom confirmed it was Ayres!. Amazing.

I expect Mills is doing the U.S arc though.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Geekdom confirmed it was Ayres!. Amazing.

I expect Mills is doing the U.S arc though.
Incredibly delighted to know that Ayres is returning as Freeza. :D

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Confirmation from Ayres himself: https://twitter.com/Chrisayresva/status ... 0401614848
Bless this man for his dedication.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Sooo happy that Ayres managed to play Freeza. What incredible dedication! I have so much respect for him. He will forever be one of the best English dub actors for Dragon Ball.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:03 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Confirmation from Ayres himself: https://twitter.com/Chrisayresva/status ... 0401614848
Bless this man for his dedication.
GOD! This guys is HARDCORE. Its not even my dub but I still love him for his dedication!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:36 am

Chris Sabat posted the cast in the trailer: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 8923441152

Most are obvious, but he confirmed Dameon Clarke is back as Paragus. Vic is conspicuously absent though. Could be that he just neglected to mention him, or possibly they're waiting to officially confirm? Vic himself hasn't said anything.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 am

Kataphrut wrote:Chris Sabat posted the cast in the trailer: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/statu ... 8923441152

Most are obvious, but he confirmed Dameon Clarke is back as Paragus. Vic is conspicuously absent though. Could be that he just neglected to mention him, or possibly they're waiting to officially confirm? Vic himself hasn't said anything.
I get the feeling that Vic's finally done playing Broly. Can't blame the poor guy if he drops the role, he's said on several occasions that the voice kills him. Of course, he could try approaching the character differently, but there's still going to be a lot of yelling. They'll see this new rewritten Broly as an opportunity for a recast.

The yells from Broly in the trailer kinda sounded like Sabat, but they're definitely temporary. If they do a recast, I wonder who they'll get?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Vic Mignogna not returning as Broly would be odd. That’s arguably one of the most iconic roles in any of the FUNimation dubs.