"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Son Gara » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:31 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Anyone else found it weird when both Trunks and Goku called Black "Goku Black" rather than just "Black" at the end of the episode? I don't think they ever called him by his full name in Japanese.
"Artistic license". But seriously that is weird. Reminds me of the Super episode when Kefla is defeated and somehow everyone (including characters that were no near the battle to hear what she calls herself) somehow magically know what her name is.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 am

Scsigs wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote:Yeah it was always Corp until the other week when the Future Trunks saga started. Core would make more sense if it was Capsule Corps. I notice they also pronounce Shu as Shou now, when it was always Shu in Dragon Ball.
I mean, with "Shou," maybe it could be for making up for mispronouncing it in DB, but that depends on if they pronounce it like that in Japanese. Do they? I mean, it's a more Chinese way of pronouncing the name, I think, but is it the same in Japan?
"Corp" doesn't make any sense to pronounce "core" unless there's an "s" at the end as you said. Since in-universe it's never been romanized with the "s," this doesn't make any sense, clearly. I'm really questioning some of the direction choices Sabat's making. Sadly, this isn't the first FUNi dub to make pronunciation changes for some reason that doesn't make any sense. One Piece, starting at the Thriller Bark Arc, made some weird direction decisions. Mainly in pronouncing some words more like a Japanese person would, like "samurai" sounding like "saumurai" instead. It's a decision first made, I believe, in Attack on Titan's dub, where they pronounced things more like a German person word, yet in that dub, it at least made sense, given the setting & words involved. Both of those dubs are mainly directed & produced by Mike MacFarlane, so I wonder if he talked to Sabat about those.
I tweeted Sabat asking why they changed the Corp to Core, don't know if he will respond though. I would agree that Shou is probably to correctly pronounce it but it makes it inconsistent with Dragon Ball.

Didn't One Piece also start calling the Marines, the Navy eventually in the English dub? Which I believe the Japanese version already did.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:13 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Anyone else found it weird when both Trunks and Goku called Black "Goku Black" rather than just "Black" at the end of the episode? I don't think they ever called him by his full name in Japanese.
I think they said Goku Black like two times in the Japanese version. I’m honestly not surprised that they’re willing to use the full name more in the dub because of how Xenoverse 2’s translations handled his name. It also referred to him as Goku Black many times. I’m sure it’s probably just a censorship thing, or maybe lip flaps.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:58 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote:Yeah it was always Corp until the other week when the Future Trunks saga started. Core would make more sense if it was Capsule Corps. I notice they also pronounce Shu as Shou now, when it was always Shu in Dragon Ball.
I mean, with "Shou," maybe it could be for making up for mispronouncing it in DB, but that depends on if they pronounce it like that in Japanese. Do they? I mean, it's a more Chinese way of pronouncing the name, I think, but is it the same in Japan?
"Corp" doesn't make any sense to pronounce "core" unless there's an "s" at the end as you said. Since in-universe it's never been romanized with the "s," this doesn't make any sense, clearly. I'm really questioning some of the direction choices Sabat's making. Sadly, this isn't the first FUNi dub to make pronunciation changes for some reason that doesn't make any sense. One Piece, starting at the Thriller Bark Arc, made some weird direction decisions. Mainly in pronouncing some words more like a Japanese person would, like "samurai" sounding like "saumurai" instead. It's a decision first made, I believe, in Attack on Titan's dub, where they pronounced things more like a German person word, yet in that dub, it at least made sense, given the setting & words involved. Both of those dubs are mainly directed & produced by Mike MacFarlane, so I wonder if he talked to Sabat about those.
I tweeted Sabat asking why they changed the Corp to Core, don't know if he will respond though. I would agree that Shou is probably to correctly pronounce it but it makes it inconsistent with Dragon Ball.

Didn't One Piece also start calling the Marines, the Navy eventually in the English dub? Which I believe the Japanese version already did.
If I were to guess, it's probably because corp is in fact supposed to be pronounced like the word "core", I took an English class once that I saw a list of words that are most often mispronounced, and corp was in fact one of them. So the reason behind saying it like that is for the purpose of accurate English.

Now that that's out of the way I gotta applaud the scene of Trunks explaining how he stopped Buu, it was written a little bit differently from the original, but done in a way that kinda makes it sound like they're following the manga version somewhat. I suspect that they're trying to imply that supreme kai was among the casualties of the effort to stop Buu from happening as opposed to the bs claim the show did of saying that Zamasu killed him just like that. I could be wrong, but either way the rewrite here has my approval.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Most likely lipflaps is the reason, but it fits the situation, so it's fine.
supersaiyandoctor wrote:I tweeted Sabat asking why they changed the Corp to Core, don't know if he will respond though. I would agree that Shou is probably to correctly pronounce it but it makes it inconsistent with Dragon Ball.

Actually, in One Piece, they pretty much flip-flop between Navy & Marines. While they mostly refer to them as Marines in the dub, sometimes they use Navy & the uniforms of the grunts say "Navy," but they mostly use "Marines." It's an entire thing that the One Piece Wiki goes into.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 pm

terrible dubbing. makes me cringe to my deepest roots. compared to the japanese version this is pure garbage. vale is terrible.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:36 pm

gohan_black wrote:Terrible dubbing. Makes me cringe to my deepest roots. Compared to the japanese version this is pure garbage. Vale is terrible.
Since you were gone from Kanzenshuu while this was going on, what did you think of Brian Drummond coming back to voice Copy Vegeta? And what do you think about Sean Schemmel's new take on Goku Black?
Caulifla best girl! :)

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
gohan_black wrote:Terrible dubbing. Makes me cringe to my deepest roots. Compared to the japanese version this is pure garbage. Vale is terrible.
Since you were gone from Kanzenshuu while this was going on, what did you think of Brian Drummond coming back to voice Copy Vegeta? And what do you think about Sean Schemmel's new take on Goku Black?
dont care about drummond cuz i dident watched the ocean dub as a kid. goku black is ok i guess. the script changes is what bother me

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Actually, in One Piece, they pretty much flip-flop between Navy & Marines. While they mostly refer to them as Marines in the dub, sometimes they use Navy & the uniforms of the grunts say "Navy," but they mostly use "Marines." It's an entire thing that the One Piece Wiki goes into.
I see, I'm only up to episode 173 or so and they've been called the Marines the whole time. I just noticed in the movies they called them the Navy.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I think the dub has been pretty faithful so far, sure some little deviations here and there but overall not too bad.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:45 am

gohan_black wrote:terrible dubbing. makes me cringe to my deepest roots. compared to the japanese version this is pure garbage. vale is terrible.
Oh boy, it's puar 2.0 ...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:48 am

MrTennek wrote:
gohan_black wrote:terrible dubbing. makes me cringe to my deepest roots. compared to the japanese version this is pure garbage. vale is terrible.
Oh boy, it's puar 2.0 ...
I wasn't gonna say anything, but...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 am

Yeah the "core" thing is really odd. I thought it maybe just Rial pronouncing like that but Chichi/Cranz said it too, speaking of Cranz she popped up in a simuldub yesterday and her voice was really smooth, so it seems what has been going on with her voice was just vocal direction, while the Chichi voice is better now I still feel like it is slightly too "rough" sounding.

The whole secret love child mini running joke was actually hilarious.

The whole "fish sausage" thing was too great, from Beerus' "obscenely questionable" comment to every then munching on it.. haha.

Goku punches Trunks into the ground then "are you okay Trunks?" had me ROFLing. :lol:

Schemmel's SS3 wasn't that bad this episode either! He did a fanatic job this episode. Vale's screams are also pretty awesome!

Great episode. Good week for DBS.

Oh and I forgot we get Grand Priest this arc, wonder who'll voice him and how they'll TL his name.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah the "core" thing is really odd. I thought it maybe just Rial pronouncing like that but Chichi/Cranz said it too, speaking of Cranz she popped up in a simuldub yesterday and her voice was really smooth, so it seems what has been going on with her voice was just vocal direction, while the Chichi voice is better now I still feel like it is slightly too "rough" sounding.

The whole secret love child mini running joke was actually hilarious.

The whole "fish sausage" thing was too great, from Beerus' "obscenely questionable" comment to every then munching on it.. haha.

Goku punches Trunks into the ground then "are you okay Trunks?" had me ROFLing. :lol:

Schemmel's SS3 wasn't that bad this episode either! He did a fanatic job this episode. Vale's screams are also pretty awesome!

Great episode. Good week for DBS.

Oh and I forgot we get Grand Priest this arc, wonder who'll voice him and how they'll TL his name.
I love that Pilaf and his gang are such gossip mongers. If nothing else they have a great future in tabloids. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

Maybe they’re using Goku Black instead of just Black so certain people on the internet (you know who I’m talking about) don’t cry racism

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:10 am

Idk why but the voice acting and sctipt just feel a notch lower than the Kai, BoG and R’F’ dub. It’s not bad by any means, just not as good as those previous dubs.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

DHM211 wrote:Idk why but the voice acting and sctipt just feel a notch lower than the Kai, BoG and R’F’ dub. It’s not bad by any means, just not as good as those previous dubs.
Seems to be on level with Kai 2.0/BoG/"F" those took quite a few liberties with the latter two being the same script writer as well as some iffy acting namely Schemmel's SS3.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Idk why but the voice acting and sctipt just feel a notch lower than the Kai, BoG and R’F’ dub. It’s not bad by any means, just not as good as those previous dubs.
Seems to be on level with Kai 2.0/BoG/"F" those took quite a few liberties with the latter two being the same script writer as well as some iffy acting namely Schemmel's SS3.
I wasn’t really paying attention to Super pre future trunks arc, so I really didnt notice it beforehand, but a lot of the acting just seems off. Future Trunks “You killed herrrrrr” comes to mind. Goku also saying “So youre Goku Black” sounded really cheessy imo. Maybe its just me.

Also, what was wrong with Schemmel’s SSJ3 in Kai?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Maybe they’re using Goku Black instead of just Black so certain people on the internet (you know who I’m talking about) don’t cry racism
I think it probably has to do with how the name sounds in English. Since they didn't decide to make it "Dark Goku" instead, since that would produce a bit of narm, plus with how some of the lines in Xenoverse 2 sounded, since they were really awkward in English, with the characters only saying "Black," it was probably to have it come across better in English, though the racial thing probably played a part in it too. And, given the context of the show, I imagine it's only the SJWs that'll cry racism out of anybody.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 pm

But Goku Black is his name. Toriyama even called by him that. Don't see the problem. It's not like they're calling him as Scsigs said above Goku Dark or something.

I swear people just love nitpicking everything about this dub.

Also this artistic license "meme" is getting old and makes people come across as petty.