"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:So, Super may be getting simuldubbed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8mBwpAPY4
Hmm. If that is the case, you have to wonder how this will affect the viewership of Super on Toonami and Adult Swim.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 am

yugidmx5 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
yugidmx5 wrote: I would've been very hyped if the AoT wasn't also mentioned along with the rest of the titles which matches with the date of the season premiere. I wonder if it's a typo and they just meant Simulsub instead.
It's got Trunks on there and Sabat and Sean have been talking about the Black arc a lot lately....

Isn't AoT coming in April though? Also Simulcast is used not Simulsub so hard to say if it's a typo but probably is.
Simulcast is what I meant thanks for the correction english is not my first language. As for the AoT I don't know if it's possible for the big series such as that to be simuldubbed the same day the simulcast comes out though we can only hope.
I think it depends how well in advance FUNi have the materials, for MHA S2 they will have the first 6 episodes same day as Japan so AoT might be possible too.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 am

Well, Super is using another studio in Hollywood for additional recording so Schemmel and Hebert could always record for a simuldub there rather than going out to Texas which is something FUNi has been trying to do for a while with their simuldubs and shows in general. Having LA actors record in a studio in Hollywood over the internet with the director is easier than paying to fly them out to Texas
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 am

Something else to note that points in this not being an error is the fact the new Super arc has already started and they've separately advertised it that and they showed Trunks which leads me to believe if this is true, they'll start releasing the Black arc weekly on FUNiNow which also explains why the FUNi cast were talking so much about the Black arc.

Hopefully we can some more information soon which confirms or denies this.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am

Someone asked Chris Sabat on Twitter a few weeks ago how they'll handle translating "Gowasu-sama" and he replied that they're a long way away from having to decide that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Is it just me, or is Sabat slipping back into his 2004-2007 era Vegeta voice??

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just me, or is Sabat slipping back into his 2004-2007 era Vegeta voice??
Is that bad thing?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think it depends how well in advance FUNi have the materials, for MHA S2 they will have the first 6 episodes same day as Japan so AoT might be possible too.
They might get the scripts for translation ahead of time, then when they get the episodes, they script them, then tweak the scripts for the dub as they record them. How quickly they get the episodes depends on the animation studio.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Noah wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Is it just me, or is Sabat slipping back into his 2004-2007 era Vegeta voice??
Is that bad thing?
Not at all. Actually, Buu era is actually my favorite Vegeta voice.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 pm

It will definitely be fun see Funi and Bang Zoom competing to get their episodes released sooner.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Simere wrote:Someone asked Chris Sabat on Twitter a few weeks ago how they'll handle translating "Gowasu-sama" and he replied that they're a long way away from having to decide that.
"Gowasu sir" would fit the lip-flaps and would be a pretty accurate substitute, wouldn't it? Seems odd that they haven't thought of it yet, even if they're a long way away from actually having to record the dialogue.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Why is that so notable? Why not Lord Gowasu or whatever Funimation does with every other instance of -Sama?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I think it's the same debate as Zamas vs. Zamasu, though it's hard to imagine that their pronunciation for Gowasu wouldn't match Zamasu.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Why is that so notable? Why not Lord Gowasu or whatever Funimation does with every other instance of -Sama?
I only noted it because it's an indication they're not about to jump ahead to the Black arc.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 am

Man, Sean's acting during that scene when Goku's underwater in Episode 11 gave me chills! That was fantastic.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Man, Sean's acting during that scene when Goku's underwater in Episode 11 gave me chills! That was fantastic.
Agreed. I don't think I've ever heard him do Goku so realistic before. I ain't gonna lie, that was good.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 am

I'm quite surprised there aren't more posts about #11.

I've not been massively in love with Super's dub so far -- it's felt a little over the top and some of the script additions seemed unnecessary and verging on parody. Watching Boo Kai's more grounded performances cemented that view pretty well.

This episode, though? Near perfect. Genuinely. Absolutely spectacular performances all around. I might even say they blew the original away - I was that impressed.

#11 was one of my favourite episodes during the original run and my preferred cast already did a good job. Never expected myself to be saying that Funi might have one-upped them.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 am

Ajay wrote:I'm quite surprised there aren't more posts about #11.

I've not been massively in love with Super's dub so far -- it's felt a little over the top and some of the script additions seemed unnecessary and verging on parody. Watching Boo Kai's more grounded performances cemented that view pretty well.

This episode, though? Near perfect. Genuinely. Absolutely spectacular performances all around. I might even say they blew the original away - I was that impressed.

#11 was one of my favourite episodes during the original run and my preferred cast already did a good job. Never expected myself to be saying that Funi might have one-upped them.
I'm glad you pointed out what should have pointed out! I really liked this episode. It was top notch performance. Seems like they're getting better and better as time goes on.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am

Ajay wrote:I'm quite surprised there aren't more posts about #11.

I think that's just it. Most people have said what they wanted to say about the dub of this arc so far - the performances have been on point, the script changes are polarizing but nonetheless a talking point regarding how this dub compares to Buu Kai. There weren't any notable script changes in this episode, so as a result there's less to talk about in that regard.

At this point I think most of us, while still enjoying this dub are really looking forward to the Resurrection F arc to hear Chris Ayres as Freeza again as there's a very good chance that will be the highlight of this dub so far.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Ajay wrote: I might even say they blew the original away - I was that impressed.
For realsies? :eh:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?