"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Wow. Dragonball Super is much more enjoyable with the english dub it's not even funny. The part where Beerus tells Goku he's boring him and Goku's response made me so excited in ways the original didn't. Amazing job on both voice actor's parts.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm

kinisking wrote:Wow. Dragonball Super is much more enjoyable with the english dub it's not even funny. The part where Beerus tells Goku he's boring him and Goku's response made me so excited in ways the original didn't. Amazing job on both voice actor's parts.
Sean and Jaosn were both on absolute fire! The Island scene where Beerus is beating on Goku and the impaling scene from Douglas' sinister delivery and Sean's amazing monologue, I think that is definitely up there as the best voiced scenes in DB, in any language. I always loved Douglas' Beerus but I think a weekly show has managed to make him hone in on that role, he is able to convey all of Beerus' emotions perfectly. And of course Sean is pretty much the closest we have now to an English Nozawa no contest. All we are left for now is Sabat, he hasn't had that much to do so far but I am curious to see how he does when he get to the meaty Vegeta stuff post-BoG arc pre-F arc.

Honestly if the retellings are this good, cannot wait for when they get to the new material, also Ayres should help pull us through the Freeza retelling... :P

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:09 pm

kinisking wrote:Wow. Dragonball Super is much more enjoyable with the english dub it's not even funny. The part where Beerus tells Goku he's boring him and Goku's response made me so excited in ways the original didn't. Amazing job on both voice actor's parts.
It is quite enjoyable but I doubt they will nail these scenes so well as the original did it
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Noah wrote:
It is quite enjoyable but I doubt they will nail these scenes so well as the original did it
Thanks for the ear rape haha. I'll admit that English black and Zamasu will most likely never be as good as the original. Those voices were out of this world.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 pm

Absolutely 100% agree.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:The only game I remember them explicitly saying "ki" in dialogue was that terrible DBZ: Sagas game & even then, only in the tutorial.
I recall Goku saying "Ki" in one of Budokai 3's training scenarios. That's the only instance of it I ever recall from the English cast.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:28 pm

kinisking wrote:
Noah wrote:
kinisking wrote:It is quite enjoyable but I doubt they will nail these scenes so well as the original did it
Thanks for the ear rape haha. I'll admit that English black and Zamasu will most likely never be as good as the original. Those voices were out of this world.
Don't doubt the power of Sean Schemmel EVER! Also, if Matthew Mercer gets the role of Zamasu, you bet your ass it'll be great!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:03 am

Yeah Sean said they had no context for XV2 and I think he said his Black in the show will be different. And Zamasu can easily be matched, they already did a good job with Champa.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah Sean said they had no context for XV2 and I think he said his Black in the show will be different. And Zamasu can easily be matched, they already did a good job with Champa.
Nah, Zamasu was amazing. He can't be easily matched. His Son Goku!, mafuba scene and his voice acting right before he died was amazing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 am

kinisking wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah Sean said they had no context for XV2 and I think he said his Black in the show will be different. And Zamasu can easily be matched, they already did a good job with Champa.
Nah, Zamasu was amazing. He can't be easily matched. His Son Goku!, mafuba scene and his voice acting right before he died was amazing.
Okay perhaps not easily but he can be matched, if the rumours of Mercer are true we'll have our match! I'm confident on Zamasu but Sean's Black as I just re read his tweets he said he isn't taking any advice from fans, which I guess is understandable just hope Sabat can direct the crap out of him for that role.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Okay perhaps not easily but he can be matched, if the rumours of Mercer are true we'll have our match! I'm confident on Zamasu but Sean's Black as I just re read his tweets he said he isn't taking any advice from fans, which I guess is understandable just hope Sabat can direct the crap out of him for that role.
What has Mercer voiced?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 am

kinisking wrote: What has Mercer voiced?
From what I know of, Yamato from Naruto, Leorio from Hunter X Hunter, and some guy from One Piece.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 am

Bansho64 wrote:
From what I know of, Yamato from Naruto, Leorio from Hunter X Hunter, and some guy from One Piece.
Yup, Trafalgar Law in One Piece. Though I've never actually seen One Piece dubbed outside of a few early episodes, so can't really comment on him.

I know his voice well from his video game work, though. He was Robin in Arkham Knight, Cor Leonis in Final Fantasxy XV, and Leon in Resident Evil 6.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 am

Bansho64 wrote:
He also recently played Silver on Fairy Tail which is promising for Super since FUNi dubs that aswell since I'm not sure how long it's been since he played the OP char.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
He also recently played Silver on Fairy Tail which is promising for Super since FUNi dubs that aswell since I'm not sure how long it's been since he played the OP char.
It wouldn't have been very long ago. Law appears a few times during the Paramount War, which they just finished dubbing a few months ago.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
The character's name is Trafalgar Law & if they've gotten Mercer for it, you can expect greatness. I don't care if the voice doesn't match 100% in terms of tone, which it doesn't need to as long as the voice fits, as long as the acting's great, which I'm betting it will be.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Scsigs wrote: The character's name is Trafalgar Law & if they've gotten Mercer for it, you can expect greatness. I don't care if the voice doesn't match 100% in terms of tone, which it doesn't need to as long as the voice fits, as long as the acting's great, which I'm betting it will be.
I never really got that far into One Piece or watch Hunter X Hunter much, so I'm holding my breath until we see it. Never really saw much of the guy's work.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: The character's name is Trafalgar Law & if they've gotten Mercer for it, you can expect greatness. I don't care if the voice doesn't match 100% in terms of tone, which it doesn't need to as long as the voice fits, as long as the acting's great, which I'm betting it will be.
I never really got that far into One Piece or watch Hunter X Hunter much, so I'm holding my breath until we see it. Never really saw much of the guy's work.
Here's a taste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hHDOSEIXw.
This one's good for smugness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8rR1zcRcE.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
And Here he is as Silver. Mercer is just so awesome!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Bansho64 wrote: I never really got that far into One Piece or watch Hunter X Hunter much, so I'm holding my breath until we see it. Never really saw much of the guy's work.
And Here he is as Silver. Mercer is just so awesome!
He's a great voice actor, but that doesn't really sound like Zamasu to me. He sounds too...chill. Zamasu to me is arrogant and I thought Shinichiro Miki captured that perfectly. So if Matthew Mercer does get cast as Zamasu, I don't know how he'd work. Guys, what is about Mercer that would make you think he'd be perfect as Zamasu? Because I kinda don't get it.
Caulifla best girl! :)