"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by mint0h » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:58 am

mint0h wrote:As expected, the full version of the OP today is still Japanese.
Anticipating the full TV size English version of ED1 soon.
Never mind, they used the cut ED.

I don't think I caught Kid Vegeta's VA though. Possibly Sabat again.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:00 am

mint0h wrote:
mint0h wrote:As expected, the full version of the OP today is still Japanese.
Anticipating the full TV size English version of ED1 soon.
Never mind, they used the cut ED.

I don't think I caught Kid Vegeta's VA though. Possibly Sabat again.
It won't be 'til the Blu-ray, at this rate.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:54 am

Wasn't expecting the ending to be dubbed, I wonder if they'll dub the opening at this point
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:37 am

This at least tells us that they are indeed still trying and are starting to get results. So, if they're successful, we may have a best case scenario of them dubbing all the OP and ED songs. Wonder how the infamous Yoka Yoka Dance would sound? 8)
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:32 am

...was that Jonathon Young singing the ED...?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:53 am

The only thing I could think of is that they couldn't get them dubbed in time for the premiere on Toonami and they just recently got the instrumental for both the opening and ending so they recorded one for "Hello Hello Hello" for this week and we may hear an English version of "Chozetsu Dynamic" next week but if we don't, we'll definitely hear it on the Blu-ray because FUNi doesn't just dub the ending themes for a show. Sabat did say "We are trying" in regards to the dub OP when someone asked him on Twitter back when the show started airing so it's highly likely that he was referring to them working on dubbing the OP. However, it's highly possible that the OP won't be dubbed and the Endings will be but we'll see, next week should be interesting because if they can just randomly start doing a dub of the ED, they can definitely start doing it for the OP
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:27 am

It's stupid that al lines and episode titles that say "God of Destruction" now say Destroyer. I'm not complaining, but even the episode titles?!?! Hopefully the DVD/BD has GoD

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 am

Kinda shocked they dubbed the ending. It sounded a bit too short for my like but it was serviceable at the very least. I wonder who sung the ending?

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 am

simtek34 wrote:It's stupid that al lines and episode titles that say "God of Destruction" now say Destroyer. I'm not complaining, but even the episode titles?!?! Hopefully the DVD/BD has GoD
I wonder if that has anything to do with political correctness and not wanting to piss off the religious right. They tend to completely blow things out of proportion after all.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 am

Saturnine wrote:
simtek34 wrote:It's stupid that al lines and episode titles that say "God of Destruction" now say Destroyer. I'm not complaining, but even the episode titles?!?! Hopefully the DVD/BD has GoD
I wonder if that has anything to do with political correctness and not wanting to piss off the religious right. They tend to completely blow things out of proportion after all.
Nothing of the sort, it's merely a term they decided to stick with and be consistent with. Simmons uses Destroyer in his subs, it's a perfectly legitimate translation of GoD. Destroyer sounds a lot better dubbed as it rolls of the tongue nicely as opposed to saying GoD in full.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Saturnine wrote:
Nothing of the sort, it's merely a term they decided to stick with and be consistent with. Simmons uses Destroyer in his subs, it's a perfectly legitimate translation of GoD. Destroyer sounds a lot better dubbed as it rolls of the tongue nicely as opposed to saying GoD in full.
Yeah, fair enough.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:05 pm

TheAldella wrote:...was that Jonathon Young singing the ED...?
Yeah, that's what it sounded like to me.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:21 pm

I have got to say that even after all this time, listening to Jason Douglas as Beerus is wonderful.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:I have got to say that even after all this time, listening to Jason Douglas as Beerus is wonderful.
Jason Douglas nails it every single time.I can't think of a better voice for Beerus,he's just incredible.Ian Sinclair as Whis too.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Does anyone know when the Champa DLC for XV2 drops exactly? Hotly anticipating his voice.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Really glad they dubbed the ending. If you're gonna translate a show, why wouldn't you translate the whole thing?

I agree that titles should keep "God of Destruction." Destroyer works in the dub because it fits mouth flaps better, but it should be GoD in written form.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that's Justin Briner as Kid Vegeta, he voiced Deku in the My Hero Academia dub

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm

funrush wrote:Really glad they dubbed the ending. If you're gonna translate a show, why wouldn't you translate the whole thing?

I agree that titles should keep "God of Destruction." Destroyer works in the dub because it fits mouth flaps better, but it should be GoD in written form.
Exactly as in the original is only one word for "God of Destruction" (Hakaishin), so I think Destroyer feels that role, even though I think saying "God of Destruction" is quite badass
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:31 pm

When talk about kid vegeta scene i think kaiji tang did pretty great job with it compared to whoever voicing him currently in funi!! I think kaiji himself voiced king vegeta too (can't say for sure but his voice range is pretty much everywhere, so it could be him)...

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 pm

hulkedoutdude wrote:When talk about kid vegeta scene i think kaiji tang did pretty great job with it compared to whoever voicing him currently in funi!! I think kaiji himself voiced king vegeta too (can't say for sure but his voice range is pretty much everywhere, so it could be him)...
Justin Briner (FUNi Kid Vegeta) did pretty well too, his voice fit the younger Vegeta. Kaiji sounded too old in the role for my tastes, reminds me of when they had adult men voice kids in the 4Kids dub of One Piece. I mean, Justin is probably in his 30s almost so he is a man voicing a kid but his voice is naturally like that while Kaiji and those actors from the One Piece 4Kids dub have deeper voices so it fits much better than having a deep voiced adult male voice a kid
Last edited by VejituhTheWarriorGuy on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.