"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Mooreish wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
Mooreish wrote: See this guy gets it.
Gets what? That Funimation now has an obligation to fill in some kind of "diversity quota" to appeal to the politically correct crazies? Whatever, I'm done with this dub and this discussion.
Holy **i* jesus *u** no man, I would be enraged if that were the case. It just makes it funnier and more original. Besides, again, think of the meme potential. The universal gangstas.
So black voices are just inherently funny to you, huh?

I think you might want to sit the rest of this discussion out.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I don't mind Dyspo's voice, but I don't feel like his or Toppo's line delivery is quite there yet.
Dispo is too soon to tell, he doesn’t have anything going until the Hit fight, which is a while away. I don’t think Top’s actor quite pulls off the Pride Trooper haminess. His best line so far is still his first, which makes me think he’s going to nail the God of Destruction stuff.
Yeah, I don't think Hurd is quite forceful or LOUD enough to capture Toppo's boisterous ham so far. He could get better as the arc goes on though.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Mooreish wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
Gets what? That Funimation now has an obligation to fill in some kind of "diversity quota" to appeal to the politically correct crazies? Whatever, I'm done with this dub and this discussion.
Holy **i* jesus *u** no man, I would be enraged if that were the case. It just makes it funnier and more original. Besides, again, think of the meme potential. The universal gangstas.

Don’t put words in my mouth. It’s the things that stand out like a sore thumb that are noticed the most. Besides, it’s the surprise of it that makes it funny.

Don’t make this political man.it has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with the unexpected being hilarious.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Mooreish wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Mooreish wrote: Holy **i* jesus *u** no man, I would be enraged if that were the case. It just makes it funnier and more original. Besides, again, think of the meme potential. The universal gangstas.

Don’t put words in my mouth. It’s the things that stand out like a sore thumb that are noticed the most. Besides, it’s the surprise of it that makes it funny.

Don’t make this political man.it has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with the unexpected being hilarious.
My man, you just said it makes things funnier and more original. And making a casting decision to pander to jokes people would have for it being "unexpected" and "standing out" - and "unexpected" and "standing out" in this case being euphemisms for widespread causal racism, evidently - would be crass.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Mooreish wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: So black voices are just inherently funny to you, huh?

My man, you just said it makes things funnier and more original. And making a casting decision to pander to jokes people would have for it being "unexpected" and "standing out" - and "unexpected" and "standing out" in this case being euphemisms for widespread causal racism, evidently - would be crass.
This has nothing to do with racism. It’s just that everybody thought vermoud would sound like the joker and macarita would sound like Harley Quinn but instead most of the characters in univers 11 have black voice actors, which nobody was expecting. And it’s kind of funny with how weird it is to hear those voices come out of those characters.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Mooreish wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Mooreish wrote: Don’t put words in my mouth. It’s the things that stand out like a sore thumb that are noticed the most. Besides, it’s the surprise of it that makes it funny.

This has nothing to do with racism. It’s just that everybody thought vermoud would sound like the joker and macarita would sound like Harley Quinn but instead most of the characters in univers 11 have black voice actors, which nobody was expecting. And it’s kind of funny with how weird it is to hear those voices come out of those characters.
Dude you literally called U11 "the ghetto universe" and then tried to argue that was ok because it's funny. (It isn't.)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Mooreish wrote:Black people, amirite?
This is the premise of almost everything you're saying so far, no matter how clumsily you try to explain it away.

First, you called Universe 11 "The Ghetto Universe" for no reason other than them being voiced by black people with accents. Then said it's a good casting decision because of the memes that would come as a result of black people talking just being so darn unusual and "unexpected".
Cold World (Fanfic)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:09 am

Can I ask, what episode are they up to on the English dub Broadcast?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:31 am

85, I'm pretty sure.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:25 pm

TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote: To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
His name doesn't mean "top" though. His name is a pun on a kitchen appliance.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:58 pm

Is it just me, or does Kanzenshuu have a poor track record when it comes to discussions about things like race, gender, religion, etc?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:01 pm

You have most DEFINITELY not been to other places besides this one.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Is it just me, or does Kanzenshuu have a poor track record when it comes to discussions about things like race, gender, religion, etc?
That hasn't been my experience. I think we just live in a time where many people find race, gender, and religion to be sensitive topics in general. Quite the contrary, I've found Kanzenshuu to be among the more civil fan-sites out there. As Cure Dragon 255 alluded to, it's not too hard to find places where the tension, screaming, and name-calling is infinitely worse. Like, "makes you lose a little bit of faith in humanity"-infinitely worse.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Is it just me, or does Kanzenshuu have a poor track record when it comes to discussions about things like race, gender, religion, etc?
That hasn't been my experience. I think we just live in a time where many people find race, gender, and religion to be sensitive topics in general. Quite the contrary, I've found Kanzenshuu to be among the more civil fan-sites out there. As Cure Dragon 255 alluded to, it's not too hard to find places where the tension, screaming, and name-calling is infinitely worse. Like, "makes you lose a little bit of faith in humanity"-infinitely worse.
I guess I’m mostly just remembering that thread from last year titled “LGBT in DragonBall”. I (thankfully) didn’t take part in that thread, but it was pretty ugly.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
I guess I’m mostly just remembering that thread from last year titled “LGBT in DragonBall”. I (thankfully) didn’t take part in that thread, but it was pretty ugly.
Well, *shrug*, sometimes civility erodes no matter how hard we try to maintain it, even in the most civil of places. Kanzenshuu's overall track record is very good, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 pm

OMG DONT REMIND ME OF THAT THREAD!

But other than that this is an awesome place to discuss Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 am

I'm really grateful that we have VegettoEX and his crew modding this site in an efficient way. (No brown nosing, 'kay?)

Seriously, other DB fan sites I went to had mods that just didn't care about the site at all.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Tian wrote:I'm really grateful that we have VegettoEX and his crew modding this site in an efficient way. (No brown nosing, 'kay?)

Seriously, other DB fan sites I went to had mods that just didn't care about the site at all.
And then you have mods who care WAY too much. One fan forum I'd say that about is Rangerboard, though that mainly had to do with some light language I used. Nothing too bad, but it wasn't something that had to be a thing. Then you have other forums where the mods pick & choose what they moderate, like KHInsider, which never feels like the mods are in the business of keeping threads on track. Kanzenshuu is definitely one of the more balanced fan forums I've been on thus far & it's all in the execution. A stern warning & giving people a chance to follow your warnings is something I really appreciate over a strict enforcing of policies or none at all.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 pm

How about getting back on topic, huh? This thread stopped being about the dub several pages ago. :roll:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 pm

The ratings are doing awesome! I know its not the thread for it but the ratings are indeed great.