"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Ok, stop. I never said Killa's voice in the FUNi dub of Z wasn't a problem. In fact, it IS a problem. However, I'm grouping it with all of the other major problems of Z's dub. Do not call me or think of me as a racist, because I'm certainly not, & I thank you to quit that bullshit.
Z's problems include: Bad voice acting & direction because of the inexperience of all involved when it switched to the Texas-based cast, ill-fitting voices, like Frieza's, that have since been switched with better ones, bad translations, poor scriptings of the bad translations, a general rushed-feeling production, which it probably was, a lot of bad music replacements, amongst others that have been stated before. Killa's voice is a perfect combination of at least 4 of these problems.
I never said you were wrong to hate the voice. It's certainly a bad thing to have him sound like Black Boomhauer from King of the Hill. However, like I said, it's not the first bad thing this dub did (Vegeta's pleas to Goku to avenge the Saiyans because Frieza forced him to work with him even though that made NO sense even in the dub's context anyone?), it's not the last, & it's certainly not the biggest ("Ally to good, nightmare to you!"). In fact, in regards to the dub's massive missteps, I'd say it's one of the smaller ones. They rectified it in Kai like a lot of other things, so I take that as an apology. Basically everyone who worked on that dub regrets a lot of the decisions made during it, but FUNi loves money & people are nostalgia-blind, so we're not ever gonna get a proper redub of the series outside of Kai & the video games. I get why you'd single it out, but I group the small amounts of "racial insensitivity" in the dub with the other problems. It more compounds the issue than stands out for me, k? It's a genuine problem, but one of many.
"Ally to good, nightmare to you" is on a different plane of existence than what happened with Killa. You can't even begin to place them as even remotely comparable. They're not. One's just being shitty at your job, and the other is being a genuinely shitty person. In that order, respectively.

Trying to sweep that away as one little thing among a bunch of other dumb dubisms is appalling and shows a complete lack of understanding.
In all honesty, a lot of the 90s dubbed series had bad changes. For instance in Sailor Moon, Sailor Uranus and Neptune were originally lesbian lovers. The English dub changed them to cousins. Many awkward scenes abounded afterwards.
Pokemon, for reasons that still elude me, called rice balls "donuts", among other such things.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Again, not even remotely the same kind of thing, and not even remotely comparable.

Changing dumplings to donuts is dumb localization. Changing lovers to cousins is frightened censorship. Killa's voice is actively and purposefully racist.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"Ally to good, nightmare to you" is on a different plane of existence than what happened with Killa. You can't even begin to place them as even remotely comparable. They're not. One's just being shitty at your job, and the other is being a genuinely shitty person. In that order, respectively.

Trying to sweep that away as one little thing among a bunch of other dumb dubisms is appalling and shows a complete lack of understanding.
I do understand that & it was a mistake. Making any character anywhere near incomprehensible, especially a black character, isn't something people should do in a dub of a show. The decision to do that was just bad & I can understand the outrage at it. My main point was that the Z dub made a ton of bad mistakes in the scripting department which certainly shouldn't have been done. Whoever made the decision to make Killa scripted that way clearly wasn't thinking through the implications of it, just like most of the rest of the dub. It was rectified in Kai by making him more understandable &, thankfully, we can just list it under a mistake of the past. Still, it should've been fixed on the remastered dub of Z for the home releases, since it shouldn't have been done in the first place.

Sorry to the person I was talking to. I just chalk it up to the long list of bad decisions made with that dub, which is LONG, & now is another reason Kai's dub is better. Trust me, I'm not one to defend that dub at all & since that character in the dub was scripted & voiced in an insensitive manner during a time where they didn't know what they were doing with that dub, it was just a big mistake on a list of many.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Not liking Schemmel's voice when Goku goes all serious. The deep gruff similar to his SS3 doesn't work at all. Absolutely hated it in Kai TFC. Not as bad here but still don't like it.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Killa's voice is not racist. It's goofy and nothing more. Even though I think Nam's English voice is fine THAT would be a reason to pause for concern not Killa's because Caucasian's suffer from incomprehensible speech as well. With that said I can't wait to hear Town's voice actor again. English Tien was always good and nailed "Tri Beam" every time.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 pm

GTx10 wrote:Killa's voice is not racist. It's goofy and nothing more. Even though I think Nam's English voice is fine THAT would be a reason to pause for concern not Killa's because Caucasian's suffer from incomprehensible speech as well. With that said I can't wait to hear Town's voice actor again. English Tien was always good and nailed "Tri Beam" every time.
So taking a black character with virtually no characteristics originally (aside from his racial caricature appearance) and giving him a voice straight from the Minstrel Shows of the early 20th century doesn't strike you as the least bit racist?
Scsigs wrote: I do understand that & it was a mistake. Making any character anywhere near incomprehensible, especially a black character, isn't something people should do in a dub of a show. The decision to do that was just bad & I can understand the outrage at it. My main point was that the Z dub made a ton of bad mistakes in the scripting department which certainly shouldn't have been done. Whoever made the decision to make Killa scripted that way clearly wasn't thinking through the implications of it, just like most of the rest of the dub. It was rectified in Kai by making him more understandable &, thankfully, we can just list it under a mistake of the past. Still, it should've been fixed on the remastered dub of Z for the home releases, since it shouldn't have been done in the first place.

Sorry to the person I was talking to. I just chalk it up to the long list of bad decisions made with that dub, which is LONG, & now is another reason Kai's dub is better. Trust me, I'm not one to defend that dub at all & since that character in the dub was scripted & voiced in an insensitive manner during a time where they didn't know what they were doing with that dub, it was just a big mistake on a list of many.
You're still minimizing and equivocating stuff.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:47 pm

nato25 wrote:
Huber stepped back into 17 like he never left which is pretty impressive.
Well, the last time he voiced him was FighterZ.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:40 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
nato25 wrote:
Huber stepped back into 17 like he never left which is pretty impressive.
Well, the last time he voiced him was FighterZ.
Yeah that's true, I guess I'm more thinking of say Eric Vale when he returned to the Future Trunks arc and even Sabat whose Vegeta was criticised when Battle of Gods trailers were making the rounds. Those guys were constantly doing video games however they seemed to struggle to get back into the character as it was portrayed in the past where Huber had no such problem.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:52 pm

I don't know what happened with Eric, honestly. He sounded so strained. It's weird, because his voice for Sanji isn't all that different, just with a little more drawl to it, but his Trunks in the last Kai episodes and Super sounded like he has someone standing on his stomach the whole time.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Sean Schemmel wrote:Finished first day of recording for Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie and I can’t comment on it, but I can say this: It is a visual Tour de Force hands down. It will be mind blowing!
I was initially surprised that recording just stated today, but then I remembered the film's production finished about a week or two ago, and it doesn't come out until January in the States. I could have sworn Funimation received animatics much earlier to work from though.

This probably also signifies that our international dubbing friends should be receiving their copies throughout November.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:15 am

jjgp1112 wrote:You're still minimizing and equivocating stuff.
I'm not trying to do that. I'm just stating my viewpoint on this thing. I said that that was a problem, one of many. The dub has many problems & this is one of them. One that shouldn't have happened & was stupid. If it seems like I'm minimizing the fact that it has bad implications, know that's not what I'm trying to say. The Z dub is bad in many ways, which is why I'm overly glad we got Kai & its fantastic dub. Know that it's high on the list of bad things. There are bad things in the Z dub that shouldn't have happened. Some things are terrible like the unintentional racism (and, yes, I'm thinking it was unintentional considering the time & people involved) that should've never happened, some bad things are either forgivable, or you can ignore. I'm not trying to minimize or equalize anything. I'm just saying that it's not the only bad thing in that dub that should be called out.
Also, I'm not used to talking about the racism in some parts of the Z dub, since I didn't think there was any. I'm only used to talking about the bad translation issues & bad acting. So, sorry for coming across as you think I am.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:29 am

Scsigs wrote:
TheOne wrote:Exactly. But you can’t convince guys like him. He’s already made up his mind on how he views the situation.
Ok, stop. I never said Killa's voice in the FUNi dub of Z wasn't a problem. In fact, it IS a problem. However, I'm grouping it with all of the other major problems of Z's dub. Do not call me or think of me as a racist, because I'm certainly not, & I thank you to quit that bullshit.
Z's problems include: Bad voice acting & direction because of the inexperience of all involved when it switched to the Texas-based cast, ill-fitting voices, like Frieza's, that have since been switched with better ones, bad translations, poor scriptings of the bad translations, a general rushed-feeling production, which it probably was, a lot of bad music replacements, amongst others that have been stated before. Killa's voice is a perfect combination of at least 4 of these problems.
I never said you were wrong to hate the voice. It's certainly a bad thing to have him sound like Black Boomhauer from King of the Hill. However, like I said, it's not the first bad thing this dub did (Vegeta's pleas to Goku to avenge the Saiyans because Frieza forced him to work with him even though that made NO sense even in the dub's context anyone?), it's not the last, & it's certainly not the biggest ("Ally to good, nightmare to you!"). In fact, in regards to the dub's massive missteps, I'd say it's one of the smaller ones. They rectified it in Kai like a lot of other things, so I take that as an apology. Basically everyone who worked on that dub regrets a lot of the decisions made during it, but FUNi loves money & people are nostalgia-blind, so we're not ever gonna get a proper redub of the series outside of Kai & the video games. I get why you'd single it out, but I group the small amounts of "racial insensitivity" in the dub with the other problems. It more compounds the issue than stands out for me, k? It's a genuine problem, but one of many.
It was not my intent to make you feel like a “racist”. I personally find it hard for anyone who’s heavily involved in another countries culture to be prejudice.i apologize for making it come across that way. It is possible however, to not be as empathetic since it doesn’t directly impact tou. You also see the wrong doing in how Funi handled that specific dubbing of Killa, so my earlier statement doesn’t apply to you.

As far as the other dubbing issues you pointed out, it’s all depending on personal taste. I don’t mind some of the stuff in the OG Dub. Yeah some of it was cringy, but overall I like the emotion that the Original dub had. Also, the corny jokes in there were hilarious to me. When I watched Kai, it was more accurate dubbing but it didn’t deliver on the big moments at times. To say definitively one is absolutely superior than the other without acknowledging the possibility that the OG Dub did certain things better just reeks of a biased point of view. Which unfortunately, most of the “purist” in the fanbase have.
How i predict the tournament will end:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:37 am

GTx10 wrote:Killa's voice is not racist. It's goofy and nothing more. Even though I think Nam's English voice is fine THAT would be a reason to pause for concern not Killa's because Caucasian's suffer from incomprehensible speech as well. With that said I can't wait to hear Town's voice actor again. English Tien was always good and nailed "Tri Beam" every time.
Yeah there are white people who have a problem with speaking along with every other race, but goodness gracious the one race that’s stereotyped as bad speakers, slang users, illiterate etc. and has a history of this kind of stuff are black people. To sit here and pretend like they didn’t know what they were doing makes you part of the problem. The only REAL black guy in Z (voiced by a white man) just happens to be the only one who doesn’t know how to talk? Yeah right. No adult is that ignorant to their surroundings. Not even in the 90s. I don’t expect you to understand so there’s really no point in explaining why this wasn’t right. You, like many others in the world, will not be swayed in your personal beliefs by someone on the internet.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 am

Blaine Hodge to have a voice acting part in FUNimation dub of the movie.
https://twitter.com/Staticssound/status ... 06624?s=19
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Blaine Hodge to have a voice acting part in FUNimation dub of the movie.
Do we have confirmation of Lemo's voice actor?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Blaine Hodge to have a voice acting part in FUNimation dub of the movie.
Do we have confirmation of Lemo's voice actor?
Otherwise, it'd be a shameful waste to be flown out for the pretigious role of "City Pedestrian #82".

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jaden » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Lol they went with 17 calling Jaco "Taco" instead of "Zaco".
"Do I look like a taco to you?" :mrgreen:

Next episode will have Renso and Caulifla's debut :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Jaden wrote:Lol they went with 17 calling Jaco "Taco" instead of "Zaco".
"Do I look like a taco to you?" :mrgreen:

Next episode will have Renso and Caulifla's debut :thumbup:
Actually, Caulifla's first lines are in the episode after the next (unfortunately :( ). But still, even if she starts speaking in an otherwise bad episode, I'm Super excited to hear my girl in English. :)
Caulifla best girl! :)

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:52 pm

I thought you guys were talking about the latest episode in super with the black guy voice thing and was confused.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 am

I hope I am not the only one that noticed this change in Goku's Dialogue, but it is pretty important IMO story and character wise; :think:

At the end of the recent Space Poachers episode when 17 is asking him about the ToP and what Goku wants out of it Goku does say like before he wants to fight Strong Fighters, but this time Funimation added their own last bit of, paraphrasing this "I Don't want to see innocent people getting hurt over this, I will fight to prevent that." aka, mentioning the deaths of all life in the Universe.

I found that really significant and important cause one of the only things that got me disappointed in the original Japaneses is that Goku just seem to mostly only care about fighting strong fighters and not enough about the destruction that was happen. I hope I am wrong about this in that original missing more of those moments of the stakes by Goku and I remember maybe one or 2 somewhat ones, but not enough.

If So, I think Funimation is trying to correct the story by saying yea Goku wants to fight strong guys, but not at the expense of the deaths of innocents. If that is the case it is a Dubbed Dialogue change I Greatly Welcome for Goku's character! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker