"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Scsigs wrote: I kind of get it, & I won't say every joke they make makes sense, or is top quality, but I really don't think they dumbed down anyone, they just turned up the heat on aspects of their characters, or introduced new ones, like Goku's more selfish traits & stupidity (which I think is where the Toei staff got it from with Super), though I think they've started to add some hidden traits to his character, Vegeta's arrogance & self importance, Gohan hating Goku, Piccolo being more protective of Gohan, Cell's extra creepy persona, as you said, etc. I'd get more it if they weren't putting genuine effort into the series, which they are, but I seriously disagree with you there. In fact, I'd say their Trunks is, basically, canon Trunks, just thrown into the Abridged version of the series. I also LOVE their version of the Broly movie for actually giving Broly a personality prior to his power up, because that one was extremely one-note originally. They've also started to show Goku's battle prowess & skill more like his canon self as well, it's just that that's added on to what was already there.
I think the thing I like most about their humor as well is that they have really good meta & 4th wall jokes thrown in & pretty good situational humor as well, but that's just me. Agree, disagree, whatever. This isn't the thread for them, so I don't think the admins would appreciate going off point any longer.
Just no on the above. I doubt Toei gained any influence from an English abride series that have been trying to stomp out for years. You give TFS too much credit.

And you mean forcibly insert new ones even if it makes little sense or even butchered the character, looking at you. TFS Gura. And even in Super Goku isn’t stupid so much as care free and dense. TFS Goku most likely have a mental disorder and the ‘Goku is a bad father’ and Piccolo is Gohan ‘real’ dad is just annoying at this point. In fact, Gohan hating his dad is the thing I despise most about Abridge since the bond Goku and Gohan shares is one of my favorite things in Dragon Ball.

I can understand why Abride has its fans, but find a lot of stuff not funny and make me hate characters I like more often than not.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:53 pm

HeroR wrote:Just no on the above. I doubt Toei gained any influence from an English abrided series that have been trying to stomp out for years. You give TFS too much credit.

And you mean forcibly insert new ones even if it makes little sense or even butchered the character, looking at you. TFS Guru. And even in Super Goku isn’t stupid so much as care free and dense. TFS Goku most likely have a mental disorder and the ‘Goku is a bad father’ and Piccolo is Gohan ‘real’ dad is just annoying at this point. In fact, Gohan hating his dad is the thing I despise most about Abridged since the bond Goku and Gohan shares is one of my favorite things in Dragon Ball.

I can understand why Abrided has its fans, but find a lot of stuff not funny and make me hate characters I like more often than not.
Dude, I was joking. What I meant about Toei's staff taking influenced from them is the extent that they flanderize Goku's selfishness. It feels, to me, like they tried to make Goku from the Buu saga of Z even MORE dumb. Goku's not dumb, just carefree, like you said. If you look at Goku's character in Super, while it's probably closer to how Toriyama wanted, they go off the deep end with him in places, at least in the places where it's, most likely, not in Toriyama's plot outlines. It was a joke towards how they write him that I've made before elsewhere about how Super's Goku isn't that far off from Abridged Goku & you didn't get it. It's fine, but still.
In some cases it's a bit forced, but in others, it completely makes sense. And, yeah, I don't like how they interpret the whole "Goku VS Piccolo" thing because of how the canon series had it, but it kinda makes more sense in the Abridged series, considering that the abridged series isn't supposed to be a straight gag dub of the show. I mean, with the way they've developed their versions of the characters, a lot of the developments makes sense. I'm at least glad that they kept the whole "Goku VS Piccolo" thing as it is in the canon & only really had his worrying about Gohan like a father only expressed in the Broly movie.
Humor is subjective, but I feel the series is very enjoyable on its own merits. I mean, comedies are hard to make appeal to everyone, but I still feel their humor is still good for the most part. I can see why some jokes & running gags they have in the episodes & movies can be grating to some, since I don't like some of them myself, but there's still a lot of fun to be had with their series.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 pm

I hate how long these damn Blu-Rays are taking to come out.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 pm

I forgot, is next week's episode the one where Goku accidentally grabs the Galactic King's "winkie"? It'll be interesting to see how explicit (or not) they make that scene in the dub.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 am

Scsigs wrote:
Dude, I was joking. What I meant about Toei's staff taking influenced from them is the extent that they flanderize Goku's selfishness. It feels, to me, like they tried to make Goku from the Buu saga of Z even MORE dumb. Goku's not dumb, just carefree, like you said. If you look at Goku's character in Super, while it's probably closer to how Toriyama wanted, they go off the deep end with him in places, at least in the places where it's, most likely, not in Toriyama's plot outlines. It was a joke towards how they write him that I've made before elsewhere about how Super's Goku isn't that far off from Abridged Goku & you didn't get it. It's fine, but still.
In some cases it's a bit forced, but in others, it completely makes sense. And, yeah, I don't like how they interpret the whole "Goku VS Piccolo" thing because of how the canon series had it, but it kinda makes more sense in the Abridged series, considering that the abridged series isn't supposed to be a straight gag dub of the show. I mean, with the way they've developed their versions of the characters, a lot of the developments makes sense. I'm at least glad that they kept the whole "Goku VS Piccolo" thing as it is in the canon & only really had his worrying about Gohan like a father only expressed in the Broly movie.
Humor is subjective, but I feel the series is very enjoyable on its own merits. I mean, comedies are hard to make appeal to everyone, but I still feel their humor is still good for the most part. I can see why some jokes & running gags they have in the episodes & movies can be grating to some, since I don't like some of them myself, but there's still a lot of fun to be had with their series.
Hard to say that was a joke since there are fans who honestly believe that TFS influence Super. They also didn't really flanderize Goku being selfish since Toriyama got on Toei for making Goku too selfless in Z. Goku in Super is no more selfish than he was in Battle of Gods in which Toriyama rewrote, Imo. Which also got criticism from some for making Goku a bit of an asshole. Also, one of the points that Goku often raised in Goku about Goku's 'dumb' moments is him not kissing his wife and him forgetting the seal for the Evil Containment Wave, somewhat that happened in both the anime and manga. That joke will and will never be funny about Super Goku being even remotely closed to Abridge Goku.

It really doesn't make sense for a lot of them since it made a lot of characters into unlivable jerks for the laughs. Specifically Gohan's daddy issue when he blames Goku for everything, even stuff that wasn't his fault like him dying to Raditz and not being wished back right away. Goku's borderline indifferent towards Gohan is equally annoying. What they did to Gura and Dende was completely unnecessary.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Hard to say that was a joke since there are fans who honestly believe that TFS influence Super. They also didn't really flanderize Goku being selfish since Toriyama got on Toei for making Goku too selfless in Z. Goku in Super is no more selfish than he was in Battle of Gods in which Toriyama rewrote, Imo. Which also got criticism from some for making Goku a bit of an asshole. Also, one of the points that Goku often raised in Goku about Goku's 'dumb' moments is him not kissing his wife and him forgetting the seal for the Evil Containment Wave, somewhat that happened in both the anime and manga. That joke will and will never be funny about Super Goku being even remotely closed to Abridge Goku.

It really doesn't make sense for a lot of them since it made a lot of characters into unlivable jerks for the laughs. Specifically Gohan's daddy issue when he blames Goku for everything, even stuff that wasn't his fault like him dying to Raditz and not being wished back right away. Goku's borderline indifferent towards Gohan is equally annoying. What they did to Gura and Dende was completely unnecessary.
Goku not kissing his wife isn't a dumb moment, he just hasn't kiss his wife. Also Roshi forgot to give Goku the seal, that was pretty painfully obvious I am surprised people still rag on that. Only thing Goku forgot was the Senzu when he went to take a leak, people forget things all the time so it's whatever.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Goku not kissing his wife isn't a dumb moment, he just hasn't kiss his wife. Also Roshi forgot to give Goku the seal, that was pretty painfully obvious I am surprised people still rag on that. Only thing Goku forgot was the Senzu when he went to take a leak, people forget things all the time so it's whatever.
Didn't say I agree with these things, since I think they're both stupid arguments about Goku's intelligent. Just that they're often used to show how 'dumb' Goku is in Super. That and him getting motion sickness from the time machine, because we know only dumb people get motion sickness. The Senzu is the only moment I would call 'dumb' and I wished the anime took the manga route and had Future Zamasu burn the Senzu bag. But Goku forgetting the Senzu was never a big deal to me since Goku usually isn't the Senzu person, that's Krillin. Another 'dumb' moment is Goku not caring about universes about being destroyed by Zen'o, despite no one else given a damn, his overall carefree attitude about the tournament, and how 'he doesn't understand the stakes' when Vegeta was willing to just bring nine people because he was more than enough.

Funny thing about the seal, Roshi in the bonus chapter of the Super manga lampshaded that he could have given Goku a container with the seal already painted on it, like the ones he used in the TOP, so Goku wouldn't need the paper seal. Something I have pointed out for over a year.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:04 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Didn't say I agree with these things, since I think they're both stupid arguments about Goku's intelligent. Just that they're often used to show how 'dumb' Goku is in Super. That and him getting motion sickness from the time machine, because we know only dumb people get motion sickness. The Senzu is the only moment I would call 'dumb' and I wished the anime took the manga route and had Future Zamasu burn the Senzu bag. But Goku forgetting the Senzu was never a big deal to me since Goku usually isn't the Senzu person, that's Krillin. Another 'dumb' moment is Goku not caring about universes about being destroyed by Zen'o, despite no one else given a damn, his overall carefree attitude about the tournament, and how 'he doesn't understand the stakes' when Vegeta was willing to just bring nine people because he was more than enough.

Funny thing about the seal, Roshi in the bonus chapter of the Super manga lampshaded that he could have given Goku a container with the seal already painted on it, like the ones he used in the TOP, so Goku wouldn't need the paper seal. Something I have pointed out for over a year.
I completely agree with everything you say here, I think people exaggerate Goku's selfishness is "more in DBS" because Toei aren't writing him heroic at all, Toei doing that covered up so many things in Z for example Goku landing the final blow on Freeza on Namek in the Manga Goku's face showed compassion and sadness while Toei's adaptation had a generic angry look, the scene and it's implication were completely changed! Now also FUNi have no interest in making Goku heroic, people are finally seeing Goku as the raw selfish bastard he has always been!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I completely agree with everything you say here, I think people exaggerate Goku's selfishness is "more in DBS" because Toei aren't writing him heroic at all, Toei doing that covered up so many things in Z for example Goku landing the final blow on Freeza on Namek in the Manga Goku's face showed compassion and sadness while Toei's adaptation had a generic angry look, the scene and it's implication were completely changed! Now also FUNi have no interest in making Goku heroic, people are finally seeing Goku as the raw selfish bastard he has always been!
Don't really agree with that. Goku's facial expression was more akin to resolution or a 'hardness' about what he did. Especially since we saw Goku's hand shake before going to his face. Even in the Toei's version, you get a sense that Goku isn't happy about what he did, but took it as 'it needed to be done' moment. That and he lingered for longer in the anime after 'killing' Freeza.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 pm

SSGSSKKx10 dubs comparison:
https://youtu.be/Mxp4Ds9Sjsc

Schemmel easily wins, followed by the Italian dub, I love Nozawa but damn she sounds pretty lackluster here to be honest.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:SSGSSKKx10 dubs comparison:
https://youtu.be/Mxp4Ds9Sjsc

Schemmel easily wins, followed by the Italian dub, I love Nozawa but damn she sounds pretty lackluster here to be honest.
I know Latin-American fans on Discord Gaf said that the Spanish one was extremely good too. That first one after Sean sounds like Goku is shouting into a speaker.
Kanassa wrote:

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:19 am

Am I the only one hearing some weird screaming alongside of Goku's when he says the x10 in Kaioken x10? As if there's someone else shouting?

Like right in the beginning here: https://youtu.be/Mxp4Ds9Sjsc?t=171

Kinda ruining the scream for me since it sounds so silly and random.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am

Asura wrote:Am I the only one hearing some weird screaming alongside of Goku's when he says the x10 in Kaioken x10? As if there's someone else shouting?

I think that is just Sean's voice cracking.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:41 am

shadowmaria wrote:Have the air dates for 40 and 41 been confirmed? I think it was upthread, but I can't find it
#40- "A Decision at Last! Is the Winner Beerus? or Is It Champa?" 11/11/17

#41- "Come Forth, Divine Dragon and Grant My Wish, Peas and Carrots!" 18/11/17

No episode 25/11/17 presumably because of Thanks Giving

#42- "The Stormy Victory Party! Is It Finally Monaka vs. Son Goku?!" 02/12/17

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Have the air dates for 40 and 41 been confirmed? I think it was upthread, but I can't find it

Well, at least we will finished the tournament before the Thanksgiving break. We may also get 43 before the year ends.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:00 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Well, at least we will finished the tournament before the Thanksgiving break. We may also get 43 before the year ends.
#44 should air before the new year as they'll probably take 23rd off for Xmas and 30th for New Years so that means the Trunks arc should start 20/01/18.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 am

HeroR wrote:
Asura wrote:Am I the only one hearing some weird screaming alongside of Goku's when he says the x10 in Kaioken x10? As if there's someone else shouting?

I think that is just Sean's voice cracking.
I don't think so, since it sounds like two voices at once and you can still hear his scream in the background.

Also, unpopular opinion but I was a little bit disappointed. The TIMES TEN part and all that was great but I thought all of the screaming was far too gravely like he was taking tips from Eric Vale on how to do the screaming this episode. The sounds/yelling he made while punching also sounded a little too over the top.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm

I think someone a page back or so brought this up here, so sorry that I didn't find the post to quote it, but I only thought of this response now. I'm talking about the whole "Toei doesn't make Goku into a hero anymore, nor does FUNimation" post. Now, I don't know about Z, since I've only seen the Buu Saga from that version of the show, but Kai really doesn't. Since it cut out all of the completely unnecessary filler, I don't know how Goku fares in that material, but in the canon stuff, I don't think that Goku comes off much differently than he did in the manga, even in the English dub. I've only really done a 1-to-1 comparison of the manga with the Saiyan Saga at this point in time & there aren't really any changes to Goku's character that I could see.
Plus, I watch anime dubbed, but with the subtitles for the Japanese audio to see how accurate the dubs get to the Japanese, when available. The sub's not anything indicative from what I can see &, thanks to a more accurate translation, neither is the dub. That's at least what I've observed from this.
Which brings me to Super's portrayal of Goku & why I say he's been flanderized passed what Toriyama most likely intended. I have no problems with Goku wanting to have a good fight, or even if he sometimes neglects his family to train. That's been explained by his Saiyan heritage influencing his personality. However, where I draw the line is that Goku also had a sense of right & wrong about him separate from that. He kind still has that, but after the Super take on the Battle of Gods arc, it's very inconsistently implemented.
Resurrection F isn't really that bad, but Goku's confidence definitely got the better of him, though that was one of the lessons of the arc (that didn't stick at all), so it's ok.
The Champa Arc, it doesn't really matter, since it's a tournament & that's the point of it, to find out who's stronger & have some fights along the way, but Goku's DEFINITELY more so wanting to have a good fight than anything.
The Future Trunks Arc, I'd say Goku's pretty normal, outside of a few legitimately stupid moments, like him not kissing Chichi in the 20 or so years that they've been married, which I find INCREDIBLY hard to believe, even if the manga never showed it. Though him getting legitimately furious over Black killing Chichi & Goten in the alternate timeline he came from is something I think brings him back to showing he cares for them. The seal, I wouldn't say is Goku's fault that they didn't have it, since Roshi needed to give it to him, so that's fine, especially since he never used the technique before. Then again, Trunks was the main character in that arc, not Goku, so Goku didn't have a lot of screentime to screw up when he wasn't fighting. Plus, the arc has actual legitimate writing problems outside of Goku's character, so that's fine.
The Universe Survival arc, though I haven't seen much of it outside of clips, since I'm mostly waiting for the dub, I'll say that there's different stupid things going on with Goku, like his apparent not worrying about the other universes, though I've read that he's at least giving them fighting chances to survive after Zeno wanted to wipe some of them out anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong there, though. His apparent callousness, though, is something I'd take issue with, since he should show SOME worry. We're talking about the guy who, in the Buu Saga, screwed up through his hubris several times, but worked to correct himself after realizing he screwed up, worried about the universe legitimately, & worked to defeat Buu, though his confidence STILL got the better of him at points, but some of those made sense at the very least.
This is why I say Goku's been flanderized. His shifts in personality rely on extremes in Super & I really do think it's a result of Toei's writing staff for the show overcompensating with adapting Toriyama's plot outlines. Most of the plots themselves are fine, but not a lot of the handling of some of the key characters is.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:55 pm

HeroR wrote:There description of Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken was off since they called the Kaioken calm. Someone probably should tell Sabet this so it can be corrected.
Sean has confirmed on twitter the corrections have already been recorded.