"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Count me in the camp that think Kale's FUNimation VA is not only excellent, but somehow manages to make the character more tolerable from her performance.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Wait are we sure this was actually Mills? Maybe the credits accidentally credited Mills? If this is actually Mills then he’s doing a very fantastic job.
There are some very subtle differences I picked up on listening back

I can definitely say /some/ of it was mills at least
Not super sure if all of it was though

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:15 pm

Wow. Just...wow.

Mills absolutely nailed Freeza in that episode. He was always a good replacement for Ayres, but I could instantly sniff out the switch the first time I heard it.

Here, though? I couldn’t spot a trace of him at all. Everyone’s favorite emperor is in even better hands than before.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 am

Lunatic Fringe wrote:I could instantly sniff out the switch the first time I heard it.

Here, though? I couldn’t spot a trace of him at all. Everyone’s favorite emperor is in even better hands than before.
Agreed, I thought Mills did a fine job in the Resurrection F arc but the switching of him and Ayres was jarring. If that happens again for this arc I have confidence Mills will be able to fill that void completely, and thankfully so as Freeza has some great moments in this arc.

Guessing Ayres gave the Broly movie all he had and is resting now. Well deserved if so, I'd imagine :D
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Has anyone from the dub premiere spoken about Ayres' performance yet?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Has anyone from the dub premiere spoken about Ayres' performance yet?
I recall Geekdom saying it was his best performance yet as the character. Haven't heard what anyone else thought though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Has anyone from the dub premiere spoken about Ayres' performance yet?
I recall Geekdom saying it was his best performance yet as the character. Haven't heard what anyone else thought though.
From the few reviews I’ve listened to from people who attended the LA premier, Ayers’ performance was one of the major highlights of the dub.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

This is just a hunch here, but I'm guessing that Ayres is gonna be doing the part for some of it, while Mills will be doing the more difficult parts that Ayres can't do (IE screaming, or moments that take too much energy to perform). If this is the case, I'm hoping that Ayres is at least able to provide the voice for scenes that involve Frieza interacting with Baba next episode (it's just too good an opportunity of him talking to his former voice), and the scenes involving Frieza and Frost "working together", if Ayres can be Frieza for those scenes, then I would be contempt with Mills covering the rest of the arc. Of course if Ayres can't even do that much, I completely understand as well, his health is important.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:This is just a hunch here, but I'm guessing that Ayres is gonna be doing the part for some of it, while Mills will be doing the more difficult parts that Ayres can't do (IE screaming, or moments that take too much energy to perform). If this is the case, I'm hoping that Ayres is at least able to provide the voice for scenes that involve Frieza interacting with Baba next episode (it's just too good an opportunity of him talking to his former voice), and the scenes involving Frieza and Frost "working together", if Ayres can be Frieza for those scenes, then I would be contempt with Mills covering the rest of the arc. Of course if Ayres can't even do that much, I completely understand as well, his health is important.
Well, you were somewhat right I guess. I saw the dub movie just a few hours ago, and Mills definitely did a scene or two.

The dub overall was pretty good. It wasn't spectacular, but it was good. Many of the voice actors were really good! My top three favorites were Clarke as Paragus, Erica Lindbeck as Cheelai (the voice was kinda "sexy" lmao, i'm sorry), and Ayres/Mills as Freeza.

My only nitpick was Mignogna as Broly. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't too great either (at least in my opinion). Mignogna has stated many times that Broly strains his voice, and his performance in the movie really tells you that it wasn't easy.

Oh, and the audio mixing in my theater was very odd. The voices and sound effects were loud and clear, but the OST just wasn't easy to hear at some parts. Did that only happen to me?

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Well, you were somewhat right I guess. I saw the dub movie just a few hours ago, and Mills definitely did a scene or two.
He did? I didn't notice. It doesn't help that the credits did not include any for English staff at all, heck it didn't even include subtitles for on text screens. But yeah I didn't notice Mills in it at all, he's that good at covering for Frieza, probably one that rivals trying to tell Mako Iwamatsu apart from Greg Baldwin as Iroh in terms of replacements that are near impossible to hear the difference.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Well, you were somewhat right I guess. I saw the dub movie just a few hours ago, and Mills definitely did a scene or two.
He did? I didn't notice. It doesn't help that the credits did not include any for English staff at all, heck it didn't even include subtitles for on text screens. But yeah I didn't notice Mills in it at all, he's that good at covering for Frieza, probably one that rivals trying to tell Mako Iwamatsu apart from Greg Baldwin as Iroh in terms of replacements that are near impossible to hear the difference.
That’s really weird. Mine had English credits after the Japanese credits (only Ayers was credited as Freeza) and had translations for all of the on screen Japanese text.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:32 am

I just got back, and from what I could tell, I don't think Mills filled in for Ayres, and I was really listening for it. I watched last Saturday's episode for the first time, while I was eating dinner, and I could immediately tell that was Mills, so that did make me feel pretty confident about that observation. Definitely could be wrong though.

But man oh man, Ayres was amazing in this thing! If I wasn't already aware of his condition, I would never believe there was anything wrong with his health, guy was in top form! The whole dub cast really knocked it out of the park in my book. One thing I took extra note of, was that it seemed like Schemmel was trying to match how animated Goku looked for the comedic bits, and I thought he was far more funny because of it. I was worried Vic might not change his approach for Broly, but I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. Of note was Broly' Super Saiyan transformation,

Anyway, I totally understand people not being thrilled that they're forced to watch the dub, if they wanted the sub instead. I mean, I watched the sub of the Academia movie (even though I had actually meant to see the dub oops), in the same theater I watched this, and it's distributed by the same people. So I definitely feel for those who didn't get to watch the version they wanted. That being said, this was 100% the version I wanted to see, and it did not disappoint! Everybody brought their A game to this thing, no doubt about it.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 am

uncutpokemon wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mills did the scene where Freeza is talking to Kikono right before he blows up Planet Vegeta. Also, there are English credits right after the first batch of credits (English translation/Japanese credits/Blizzard playing in the background/animation in the background) that credit Mills as "Additional Voices."

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 pm

I didn't see any English credits for mine, and I stayed through the while thing. Must have been a mistake on the theaters part.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Aside from a few relatively minor translation hiccups, the movie's dub is honestly remarkable. The weakest performances were probably kid Vegeta and Raditz, but they weren't distractingly bad. Everyone else nailed their roles; Schemmel felt the most energetic he's been since perhaps Battle of Gods, Ayres was fantastic as usual, Mignogna knocked it out of the park. Erica Lindbeck is also the perfect choice for Cheelai.

Pretty much everyone brought their A-game and it shows.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 pm

I gotta say that the timing of the movies release is actually kinda perfect in terms of the dub on tv if you think about it. The last episode to air being the one that had the 2 plot points being Kale going berserk for the first time (while being as similar to Broly as possible), and the other being Goku talking Frieza into coming back to life for the tournament. If this was on purpose (considering Toonami had 2 weeks in a row of not having a new episode, it's possible), then I gotta say it's very fitting.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Ayers voiced Frieza in DBS: Broly. Sabat said so back at that Dragonball convention from a few months ago. He said Ayers was not letting his condition get in the way of voicing Frieza here.

The funimation cast were all on their A-game here. Vic MCNogNog didn't sound like he typically does, so it's good that he did something new for this Broly. I still feel sorry for his throat though, what with all the yelling he still had to do.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:15 am

For those of Use that are Fans of the Recent Voice Action of Brianne/Ribrianne ~ Veronica Taylor, Kale ~ Dawn Bennett and Caulifla ~ Elizabeth Maxwell, Tuber Geekdom101 just recently made a Video about all 3 of the actresses and just how Perfectly well both them and Funimation is Doing with their voice acting work on these Ladies we Love! :)

I High recommend this video to Watch. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRTs_M ... Xg&index=4
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Is the mouse GoD voiced by a woman?

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:20 am

That "lets at least warm up" line has me totally sold on Mills as a primary Frieza until Ayers gets better

I was still a little worried about the TOP till then but not at all anymore