"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm

kidhero1000 wrote:
Jessie Pridemore
20 hrs ·

TW Sexual Assault

I've been seeing a lot going around about Vic Mignogna recently. I've kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin my career. I didn't want to not get invited to conventions. But I can't keep quiet about it anymore. I used to have the same opinion as everyone else. "Oh well he's always been nice to me." But after seeing his behavior evolve in front of me over the years and my own assault story, I can't keep it to myself anymore.

About ten years ago, I was a bright eyed and bushy tailed cosplayer at the height of my cosplay career. I was really well known for being the official character model for several anime companies and worked a lot with voice actors for events. I was also a high up staffer at a convention I loved. I was also going through a divorce.

A voice actor (I'm not willing to name because I can't be alone when I do this. He's too powerful in the community) that I really admired and thought was cute was flirting with me. Used my divorce as an "in." Him and another man kept feeding me drinks. Despite another voice actor kicking him in the leg to stop, he kept going. He inviting me up to his room to see his "Japanese candy collection." I blacked out. I woke up half off his bed and undressed just from the waist down. I couldn't even see who's room I was in. I gathered my stuff and left horrified. After talking to a couple people, I pieced together what had happened that night. I was too young to understand what consent was in that situation and thought that he was truly interested in me. I'd give more details, but it would give his identity. So I went to the next convention he did. He spent the entire weekend treating me like garbage. When I finally opened up to my ex husband about what had happened, he told me I was raped. Even then I didn't want to admit it. Over the years, I found there was more girls that it happened to. He started telling people I was obsessed with him and just mad he didn't want to date me.

So the part about Vic. The guy who raped me told everyone at an anime company I regularly worked with that we had fucked and that I was a con slut. He also told Vic. I played nice with Vic a lot because of my position in the community. At this point though, I had seen him be really shitty to people and staffers and knew he wasn't a good person. I ran into him at a con and said hi. We started chatting for a little bit and a couple fans ran up. I went to walk away, but he grabbed my arm and wouldn't let me leave. At one point, one of the fans starts talking about a series that he's in. I said that I actually really liked his role in it, I didn't even realize it was him (making a comment on how all his roles usually sound the same). He turns to me and says, "Oh I know why you like that series." He then slides his hand up through my hair (which was long at the time) on the back of my hair and tugs hard while saying "Because of _______." I was stunned. My heart sank. A friend ran over (there were a lot of witnesses) and asked if she needed to take me away. I just didn't even know how to respond. And if that wasn't bad enough HE DID IT A SECOND TIME with the implication that if the other voice actor had "had" me, he could too. I RAN off in tears. Called a friend of mine in said anime company and told him that if Vic ever touched me again, I would kick him in the balls, I didn't care who I was working for.

I know this will probably tarnish me getting invited to cons. It's why I started moving away from working for anime companies. I've become really good at ignoring shitty people over the years. But it is long past time that this comes out to light. Maybe one day I'll be strong enough to name the other one.
https://www.facebook.com/jessie.pridemo ... 2278447159

Doubtless there are SOME abuse claims against that are false, #kickvic has more than enough claims to have me convinced most of those claims against have at least truth to them. Regardless of the fact the allegations have been going on against him long before the #Metoo stuff was even a thing. However, a forensic evidence, an arrest, and a jury trial is what will get others to really believe those claims.
All I have to say regarding that Facebook post is that it’s going to create a lot of paranoia and speculations in regards to who exactly raped her.

In any case, this thread has gotten really dark.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:34 pm

So, watching the dub of Dragon Ball Super Broly, great dub by the way, there was a particular line that I've noticed, and that was when Broly fights Super Saiyan Vegeta, Goku said "This guy is amazing! He's holding his own in his base form." I have two questions about this. 1. Is this the first time we've heard the term "base form" in official Dragon Ball material, considering that they usually say "normal state"? 2. Those of you who watched the Japanese version, did he said "base form" in that version too?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, watching the dub of Dragon Ball Super Broly, great dub by the way, there was a particular line that I've noticed, and that was when Broly fights Super Saiyan Vegeta, Goku said "This guy is amazing! He's holding his own in his base form." I have two questions about this. 1. Is this the first time we've heard the term "base form" in official Dragon Ball material, considering that they usually say "normal state"? 2. Those of you who watched the Japanese version, did he said "base form" in that version too?
I can't see it being int he Japanese dub. It''s probably a choice of translating the phrase from Japanese, especially if lip flaps were involved, requiring them to chose something that was 3-4 syllables long.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:
Jessie Pridemore
20 hrs ·

TW Sexual Assault

I've been seeing a lot going around about Vic Mignogna recently. I've kept quiet because I didn't want to ruin my career. I didn't want to not get invited to conventions. But I can't keep quiet about it anymore. I used to have the same opinion as everyone else. "Oh well he's always been nice to me." But after seeing his behavior evolve in front of me over the years and my own assault story, I can't keep it to myself anymore.

About ten years ago, I was a bright eyed and bushy tailed cosplayer at the height of my cosplay career. I was really well known for being the official character model for several anime companies and worked a lot with voice actors for events. I was also a high up staffer at a convention I loved. I was also going through a divorce.

A voice actor (I'm not willing to name because I can't be alone when I do this. He's too powerful in the community) that I really admired and thought was cute was flirting with me. Used my divorce as an "in." Him and another man kept feeding me drinks. Despite another voice actor kicking him in the leg to stop, he kept going. He inviting me up to his room to see his "Japanese candy collection." I blacked out. I woke up half off his bed and undressed just from the waist down. I couldn't even see who's room I was in. I gathered my stuff and left horrified. After talking to a couple people, I pieced together what had happened that night. I was too young to understand what consent was in that situation and thought that he was truly interested in me. I'd give more details, but it would give his identity. So I went to the next convention he did. He spent the entire weekend treating me like garbage. When I finally opened up to my ex husband about what had happened, he told me I was raped. Even then I didn't want to admit it. Over the years, I found there was more girls that it happened to. He started telling people I was obsessed with him and just mad he didn't want to date me.

So the part about Vic. The guy who raped me told everyone at an anime company I regularly worked with that we had fucked and that I was a con slut. He also told Vic. I played nice with Vic a lot because of my position in the community. At this point though, I had seen him be really shitty to people and staffers and knew he wasn't a good person. I ran into him at a con and said hi. We started chatting for a little bit and a couple fans ran up. I went to walk away, but he grabbed my arm and wouldn't let me leave. At one point, one of the fans starts talking about a series that he's in. I said that I actually really liked his role in it, I didn't even realize it was him (making a comment on how all his roles usually sound the same). He turns to me and says, "Oh I know why you like that series." He then slides his hand up through my hair (which was long at the time) on the back of my hair and tugs hard while saying "Because of _______." I was stunned. My heart sank. A friend ran over (there were a lot of witnesses) and asked if she needed to take me away. I just didn't even know how to respond. And if that wasn't bad enough HE DID IT A SECOND TIME with the implication that if the other voice actor had "had" me, he could too. I RAN off in tears. Called a friend of mine in said anime company and told him that if Vic ever touched me again, I would kick him in the balls, I didn't care who I was working for.

I know this will probably tarnish me getting invited to cons. It's why I started moving away from working for anime companies. I've become really good at ignoring shitty people over the years. But it is long past time that this comes out to light. Maybe one day I'll be strong enough to name the other one.

Doubtless there are SOME abuse claims against that are false, #kickvic has more than enough claims to have me convinced most of those claims against have at least truth to them. Regardless of the fact the allegations have been going on against him long before the #Metoo stuff was even a thing. However, a forensic evidence, an arrest, and a jury trial is what will get others to really believe those claims.
All I have to say regarding that Facebook post is that it’s going to create a lot of paranoia and speculations in regards to who exactly raped her.

it's a slow process, but this guy is as good as finished in this industry now. About time too.

Greg Ayres, Danielle McRae, Michelle Ruff, Bonnie Gordon, ProZD, are among the people who've also liked kickvic things and Jessie's story, or Jamie's posts about it.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:27 am

Out of respect for the parties involved, I remain neutral in the subject.
If charges are brought, he appears in court, and the jury finds him guilty, so be it.
Under the law, he is innocent until proven guilty.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:36 am

Any reason why Kid Vegeta's voice actor keeps changing? It was back to Sabat's voice in the movie.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 am

Anyone calling out the victims or the actors supporting the victims, and calling foul play: Victim-blaming and such is about the worst thing you can do in a situation like this. If you don't believe it, be like ShadowBardock89, or just don't say anything. Remember that, even if you do believe he's innocent, you could very well be wrong, and in that case, you're telling victims of abuse/assult that they're lying in calling out their abuser. So, regardless of your feelings on this situation, be gentle.

A lot of stories are coming out, a lot of people are corroborating the stories, so at the very least, the accusations have merit to them. Let's see how this plays out before anyone starts calling foul. Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to say Mignogna is innocent until proven guilty, but so are the people who have claims to voice; assume they're making these claims in good faith. Disbelieving victims just makes such heinous actions as these people are claiming easier for people to get away with, and can be a truly horrible thing for the victims to go through. The occurances of false claims are significantly rarer than a lot of people would have you believe, and ultimately pretty much everyone calling these stories out as fake simply weren't there, so they simply can't know for sure.

For what it's worth, with the magnitude of claims, I personally believe the accusations against Mignogna, and I'm now wondering if Funi will redub his work in the new movie for the DVD/BD, since -- for me personally -- that's the only way I can see myself watching this dub if the accusations are true -- which, again, I believe they are.
Spoilers for the new movie follow:
On a positive note, I do look forward to sampling the movie's dub in future, if either Mignogna's redubbed, or he turns out to be innocent; I really want to see what Sabat does with Vegeta in this, and I'm curious about the dub castings of the new characters. :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:11 am

Robo4900 wrote:Anyone calling out the victims or the actors supporting the victims, and calling foul play: Victim-blaming and such is about the worst thing you can do in a situation like this. If you don't believe it, be like ShadowBardock89, or just don't say anything. Remember that, even if you do believe he's innocent, you could very well be wrong, and in that case, you're telling victims of abuse/assult that they're lying in calling out their abuser. So, regardless of your feelings on this situation, be gentle.

A lot of stories are coming out, a lot of people are corroborating the stories, so at the very least, the accusations have merit to them. Let's see how this plays out before anyone starts calling foul. Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to say Mignogna is innocent until proven guilty, but so are the people who have claims to voice; assume they're making these claims in good faith. Disbelieving victims just makes such heinous actions as these people are claiming easier for people to get away with, and can be a truly horrible thing for the victims to go through. The occurances of false claims are significantly rarer than a lot of people would have you believe, and ultimately pretty much everyone calling these stories out as fake simply weren't there, so they simply can't know for sure.

For what it's worth, with the magnitude of claims, I personally believe the accusations against Mignogna, and I'm now wondering if Funi will redub his work in the new movie for the DVD/BD, since -- for me personally -- that's the only way I can see myself watching this dub if the accusations are true -- which, again, I believe they are.
Spoilers for the new movie follow:
On a positive note, I do look forward to sampling the movie's dub in future, if either Mignogna's redubbed, or he turns out to be innocent; I really want to see what Sabat does with Vegeta in this, and I'm curious about the dub castings of the new characters. :D
The problem with the “believe the victim” mentality is that it can lead to a very dangerous slippery slope, where any vidicative person can get back at someone simply by claiming abuse. I’m not saying the allegations against Mignogna aren’t true, but this Internet mob mentality isn’t doing anyone any favors. It doesn’t help that some of these cases sound almost like extortion attempts, such as the allegations that had come out against Stan Lee before he died, or the allegation that Johnny Depp beat his wife.

I have a feeling I’m going to make a lot of enemies with what I just said, but let me just make it perfectly clear that I’m not defending Vic Mignogna. If the allegations against him are true, FUNimation needs to sever all ties with him. The problem is that we may never know for sure what the truth is.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 am

WittyUsername wrote:The problem with the “believe the victim” mentality is that it can lead to a very dangerous slippery slope, where any vidicative person can get back at someone simply by claiming abuse. I’m not saying the allegations against Mignogna aren’t true, but this Internet mob mentality isn’t doing anyone any favors. It doesn’t help that some of these cases sound almost like extortion attempts, such as the allegations that had come out against Stan Lee before he died, or the allegation that Johnny Depp beat his wife.

I have a feeling I’m going to make a lot of enemies with what I just said, but let me just make it perfectly clear that I’m not defending Vic Mignogna. If the allegations against him are true, FUNimation needs to sever all ties with him. The problem is that we may never know for sure what the truth is.
No, it is a fair point to bring up. That's why the best thing to do is to kind of just be gentle and assume good faith from all parties.

I think there's enough stories and corroboration to make the Mignogna thing totally believable... But, if it was just a couple of accusations, then yeah, the only reasonable course of action would be to sort of assume good faith from all parties; be gentle to the accuser, assume good faith, but don't damn the person they're calling out, just keep an open mind and see how it pans out.
False claims are very rare. They do happen -- I remember one case of Craig Charles serving some jailtime over a false claim -- but typically a false claim will stay as just one or two people, whose stories end up not being reliable. George Takei and Stan Lee both dealt with false claims, and when no one else came forward and the initial claims ended up seemingly not holding water, people forgot about it, they seem to have been false claims. But then you get cases like Kevin Spacey... One guy came out and said something. Then someone else popped out of the woordwork, and there soon was mountainous stories, and he's currently being charged for at least one case.

So... That's the thing. Don't do undue harm to anyone; don't disbelieve the victims, but don't jump on a bandwagon of hate too quickly. As is often considered a virtue in general life, try to be measured and reasonable.

Though, regarding Johnny Depp... IIRC, there are some pretty substantial allegations against him, so he's probably a poor example to cite. I believe the jury is still out on him, since there has yet to be a definitive finding either way, but his case still has a strongly fishy tinge.

But yes, if this is all true, Funi need to sever ties with him ASAP. As for knowing the truth... True, it's hard to determine the truth, but admittedly, the number of stories, and the amount of corroboration... At the very least, the accusations hold water, and should be seriously considered and investigated.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 pm

It seems that the other actor on Jessie Pridemore's story is Todd Haberkorn. He commented about it in his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/todd.haberkorn ... 0951161320

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:
Jessie Pridemore
20 hrs ·

TW Sexual Assault

it dosent sound credible. she was divorced at the time but dident knew what consent is?

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:37 pm

ironfist2020 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote: https://www.facebook.com/jessie.pridemo ... 2278447159

it dosent sound credible. she was divorced at the time but dident knew what consent is?
Coming from someone who’s girlfriend was recently raped a couple months ago. It’s, well, it’s more complicated than that. When it happens, sometimes, the victim kind of, “dissasociaties” themselves from it and they try to escape from that trauma psychologically. It took my girlfriend’s best friend telling her what it actually was that she acknowledged she was raped. Happens a lot more than you think as well, people just don’t want to think that they had been sexually assaulted. And above all, the fact that Pridemore here would’ve likelybeen in her early 20s at that time definitely says that that’s most likely the train of thought at that time.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Coming from someone who’s girlfriend was recently raped a couple months ago. It’s, well, it’s more complicated than that. When it happens, sometimes, the victim kind of, “dissasociaties” themselves from it and they try to escape from that trauma psychologically. It took my girlfriend’s best friend telling her what it actually was that she acknowledged she was raped. Happens a lot more than you think as well, people just don’t want to think that they had been sexually assaulted. And above all, the fact that Pridemore here would’ve likelybeen in her early 20s at that time definitely says that that’s most likely the train of thought at that time.
It might be a good idea to read Todd Haberkorn’s Facebook post on the matter. In any case, this whole “#KickVic” business has become really messy.

Edit: It seems Haberkorn deleted his post.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
It might be a good idea to read Todd Haberkorn’s Facebook post on the matter. In any case, this whole “#KickVic” business has become really messy.

Edit: It seems Haberkorn deleted his post.
Honestly I’m praying that this situation can be resolved eventually, it’s seeming tragic all around.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Well, Haberkorn reposted his FB post from earlier, so if you haven’t seen it already, I guess give it a read and form your own judgements.

https://m.facebook.com/todd.haberkorn.7 ... 4343366123

I never would’ve imagined that there would’ve been this kind of drama in the anime dubbing community.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:33 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote: This is just example #503 of "Sean Schemmel is an unprofessional dickbag". Seriously, he's starting to really piss me off at this point.
maybe he knows things that you dont since he worked with him. dont judge him so fast. the world isnt black and white
If he knew something we don't, and he cared so much about getting the truth out, he would have been making a stink about this for a while now, as opposed to just jumping on the bandwagon when the allegations start to heat up.
All he did was to hit the like button on a tweet lol. Is that makes him an asshole..?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Well, Haberkorn reposted his FB post from earlier, so if you haven’t seen it already, I guess give it a read and form your own judgements.

https://m.facebook.com/todd.haberkorn.7 ... 4343366123

I never would’ve imagined that there would’ve been this kind of drama in the anime dubbing community.
Haberkorn is not only an anime/videogame dubber animore, but since he moved to Los Angeles he started doing some relevant voice-over work in foreign live-action series, like La Casa de Papel for Netflix. But I got your point.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:25 pm

So, in the interest of moving into more pleasant topics, Jiren was released for FighterZ and thus now has an english VA. Has anyone managed to determine who it is?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Its probably not going to be the final version of his voice, even if it is the same voice actor.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 pm

jcogginsa wrote:So, in the interest of moving into more pleasant topics, Jiren was released for FighterZ and thus now has an english VA. Has anyone managed to determine who it is?
That's a hard thing to pin down, especially for post-release DLC.
For example, take Jill Valentine from Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Her seiyuu was noted on MVC3's website, but her English VA is not credited.
The best guest is Kari Wahlgren voiced her (first time, too).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif