"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 14, 2017 1:20 am

First full Super episode I've seen in English. Gokû calling Vegeta pal made me smile, as did some of the line deliveries. I still wish there had been more training episodes here; I really enjoyed this bridge. Gokû and Vegeta as classmates and roommates is one of my favorite bits from Super.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:03 am

Lyrics for the English Starring Star for anyone who wants them

I look back to when I was young
Reminiscing all that I've done
In my hands are held the dreams of my childhood that now have come to pass

Shining star give me strength from your light up above
Show me the way to be brave
My hands still hold onto hope that together we'll ??? all that we dreamed of
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 am

Still not feeling Champa's English voice yet. I was watching FMA Brotherhood the other day and the English voice for Barry the Chopper sounds just like what I imagined Champa to sound like in the English dub. He's voiced by Jerry Jewell.

Everything else about Episode 18 was pretty much perfect. Loved the banter between Goku and Vegeta.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun May 14, 2017 3:15 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Still not feeling Champa's English voice yet. I was watching FMA Brotherhood the other day and the English voice for Barry the Chopper sounds just like what I imagined Champa to sound like in the English dub. He's voiced by Jerry Jewell.

Everything else about Episode 18 was pretty much perfect. Loved the banter between Goku and Vegeta.

Yea me too, I just don't like it so far. Though, I'll give it some time. Vados however sounds hot af lol.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 14, 2017 3:36 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I asked Professor Shyguy on Twitter if he had done the full version of the song (as in the minute long one in the show because the Toonami one is cut down of course) for home video and he said that he hasn't yet but likely will. So I would expect to see dubbed endings and the dubbed opening from here on out on both TV and home video
Doesn't it make sense that he did the actual-length version of the song? Can't shorten down a song then record it. That just doesn't make any sense. Also, why doubt it in the first place?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 14, 2017 6:36 am

So it seems all the complications have been resolved regarding dubbed OP and EDs, the OP is fine but I really like the dubbed ED :thumbup:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Still not feeling Champa's English voice yet. I was watching FMA Brotherhood the other day and the English voice for Barry the Chopper sounds just like what I imagined Champa to sound like in the English dub. He's voiced by Jerry Jewell.

Who they got for Champa is perfect, see the special quotes from Xenoverse it's exactly like the JPN. I think it's because in these early teases Champa was depicted as a pretty much a different character.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 am

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I asked Professor Shyguy on Twitter if he had done the full version of the song (as in the minute long one in the show because the Toonami one is cut down of course) for home video and he said that he hasn't yet but likely will. So I would expect to see dubbed endings and the dubbed opening from here on out on both TV and home video
Doesn't it make sense that he did the actual-length version of the song? Can't shorten down a song then record it. That just doesn't make any sense. Also, why doubt it in the first place?
I don't get why you have to be so fresh with people on here but that's what he said. He could have thought I meant the full 3 minute version I guess because it'd be strange to do the Toonami cut first and then do the full one. I only asked because the OPs and EDs have been flip flopping in the dub so even if they're English on Toonami now, I'd like to know that they'll be consistently English on home video. Plus, even with Starring Star, they had it in Japanese for it's first 5 episiodes on TV like with Ending 1 so they could very well still do that on Toonami with Ending 3 but now that the OP is in English, I doubt that they'll keep the EDs in Japanese for their first 5 episodes like with the first two
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun May 14, 2017 7:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So it seems all the complications have been resolved regarding dubbed OP and EDs, the OP is fine but I really like the dubbed ED :thumbup:
Seems so which is great
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:11 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Who they got for Champa is perfect, see the special quotes from Xenoverse it's exactly like the JPN. I think it's because in these early teases Champa was depicted as a pretty much a different character.
I think this is why it feels off. Champa's first scene is totally different from the others. Even the JPN voice is different, so that's why IMO his voice sounded way off here

On another note, did anyone feel that the Sorbet scene was totally off? I felt that Sorbet's emotions weren't synching with the facial expressions. I wonder if that's just me...
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 am

Oh no guys: next week, The Resurrection F arc begins! Someone save me from this despair.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4YGHOgUd4
Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 14, 2017 8:37 am

It was really cool that Funimation dubbed another ending of Super. And the English version of Starring Star actually sounded really good.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun May 14, 2017 10:11 am

HD version of Starring Star in English: https://youtu.be/6OzrmUbvVWY

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 14, 2017 11:01 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I think this is why it feels off. Champa's first scene is totally different from the others. Even the JPN voice is different, so that's why IMO his voice sounded way off here

On another note, did anyone feel that the Sorbet scene was totally off? I felt that Sorbet's emotions weren't synching with the facial expressions. I wonder if that's just me...
Yeah I definitely remember that, Champa's voice did a complete one eighty between the Freeza arc teases and the U6 arc in the Japanese.
Interesting that both Toei and Toyotaro (in his BoG retelling) teased and depicted Champa as a pretty different character to what we got.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:38 pm

By the time this dub reach those Goku vs. Gohan episodes, I hope for a better performance from the VA's, nothing against Nozawa but I can't differ her voice in those scenes.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun May 14, 2017 7:01 pm

So he did sing the full one minute ending and it was edited for Toonami so it'll definitely be on the Blu-rays and DVDs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 14, 2017 7:24 pm

The end of the episode where Whis was explaining the body moving thing the dialogue was pretty much 1:1 from the ResF dub. Wonder if they just re used it.

Also the Piss Scene lived up 100%. :thumbup: Schemmel's delivery of "it's coming out it's coming out" had me :lol: Ah brilliant stuff!

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun May 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The end of the episode where Whis was explaining the body moving thing the dialogue was pretty much 1:1 from the ResF dub. Wonder if they just re used it.

Also the Piss Scene lived up 100%. :thumbup: Schemmel's delivery of "it's coming out it's coming out" had me :lol: Ah brilliant stuff!
They absolutely reused the dialogue but it is redubbed, as the lip flaps wouldn't match otherwise. I was actually wondering if the japanese version used the same script as the movie as well. I know they say basically the same thing in both, but I can't tell if it's literally the same.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun May 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The end of the episode where Whis was explaining the body moving thing the dialogue was pretty much 1:1 from the ResF dub. Wonder if they just re used it.

They absolutely reused the dialogue but it is redubbed, as the lip flaps wouldn't match otherwise. I was actually wondering if the japanese version used the same script as the movie as well. I know they say basically the same thing in both, but I can't tell if it's literally the same.
The line that stuck out to me more than any was "Oh, shut your face! You're only thinking less because you're an idiot".

It sounded like the exact same delivery, but to be fair there's no real reason to replace these lines since they already work. No need to fix what ain't broken.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 15, 2017 1:57 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Image

So he did sing the full one minute ending and it was edited for Toonami so it'll definitely be on the Blu-rays and DVDs
Exactly why I said not to doubt it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 15, 2017 1:59 am

Did you not hear how much dialogue from Battle of Gods was reused 1:1 in both dubs from the movie to the show? Seriously, you could make a drinking game out of it! :lol: