"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:France are already on the Black arc and we're now just starting the Freeza retelling, it's not going by fast.
Actually France and Portugal are on the FT arc but just at the beginning because Toei Europe isn't distributing the FT arc after episode 52.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:France are already on the Black arc and we're now just starting the Freeza retelling, it's not going by fast.
Actually France and Portugal are on the FT arc but just at the beginning because Toei Europe isn't distributing the FT arc after episode 52.
Yeah I know about Portugal but France started the same time as America, in Jan so was giving that as an example of why America/FUNi dub isn't going so quick.

Wait so who is distributing the Trunks arc after #52? This explains why the Toonami Asia press release only noted 52 eps for their license of DBS then.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
simtek34 wrote: Then tell me, is the Dragon Ball Z FUNimation dub better that the Original Japanese version? The dub of an anime isn't always better.
I like the dub more, yes, even though I know it's the inferior product in most areas.
I should have been more clear. I was talking to Dpc292, not you Dbzfan94, kay?
If you're gonna to exclude people from conversations, take it to PM. This is a public forum. Don't be an asshole, kay? :p

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 am

Re-watching #18 again I gotta say, this is by far Schemmel's best performance as Goku in non serious. He delivered everything from Goku acting like a child about peeing to the high pitched "Whaaaaaaaaaaaa" perfectly. Even the way he delivered "Aw I am not" when Whis said Goku wasn't strong enough, conveyed oure Goku-ness. I am running out of plaudits for this guy I swear! I genuinely can't wait until we get to the new materiel, so much to look forward too with all the interactions.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm

5 more minutes, until the Resurrection F arc begins in Dragon Ball Super The English Dub. It's almost time to relive the despair guys. Hopefully Chris Ayres can knock it out of park again to make this arc at least bearable, or he'll phone it in, because he's doing this thing again. (I'm really hoping it's the former and not the latter)
Caulifla best girl! :)

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat May 20, 2017 8:15 pm

They did use the second version of the first OP and of course it was edited but it was actually edited in a better way than the first version was
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Piccolo sounded...off at first, but luckily Sabat brought it in. Also, there's a bit of a continuity error, isn't there, with Shenron being able to grant 3 wishes? Even the movie only had 2.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Scsigs wrote:Piccolo sounded...off at first, but luckily Sabat brought it in. Also, there's a bit of a continuity error, isn't there, with Shenron being able to grant 3 wishes? Even the movie only had 2.
No, that was more fixing a continuity error that existed since the Boo arc. In the Boo arc they kinda went back and forth between Dende's Shen Long granting 2 and 3 wishes from time to time. One example of Shen Long mentioning three wishes is when Bulma summoned Shen Long for the first time to revive the people that Vegeta killed at the tournament. Super addresses this discrepancy by having powerful wishes such as mass resurrections take up two wishes.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 20, 2017 10:46 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:No, that was more fixing a continuity error that existed since the Boo arc. In the Boo arc they kinda went back and forth between Dende's Shen Long granting 2 and 3 wishes from time to time. One example of Shen Long mentioning three wishes is when Bulma summoned Shen Long for the first time to revive the people that Vegeta killed at the tournament. Super addresses this discrepancy by having powerful wishes such as mass resurrections take up two wishes.
I see.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:5 more minutes, until the Resurrection F arc begins in Dragon Ball Super The English Dub. It's almost time to relive the despair guys. Hopefully Chris Ayres can knock it out of park again to make this arc at least bearable, or he'll phone it in, because he's doing this thing again. (I'm really hoping it's the former and not the latter)
It's pretty ironic that the Funimation is on the ROF arc since Freeza's gonna return in the current arc of Super.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 21, 2017 12:02 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:5 more minutes, until the Resurrection F arc begins in Dragon Ball Super The English Dub. It's almost time to relive the despair guys. Hopefully Chris Ayres can knock it out of park again to make this arc at least bearable, or he'll phone it in, because he's doing this thing again. (I'm really hoping it's the former and not the latter)
It's pretty ironic that the Funimation is on the ROF arc since Freeza's gonna return in the current arc of Super.
Well, kinda, but not really. It's just a big coincidence. By the time FUNi got the rights & started dubbing Super, the Japanese broadcast was well into the Future Trunks arc. No one could've predicted what Toriyama would've come up with after planning out the FT arc. The show had to wait a year & almost a half to be dubbed anyway, so it's just a big coincidence.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun May 21, 2017 12:19 am

Scsigs wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Well, kinda, but not really. It's just a big coincidence. By the time FUNi got the rights & started dubbing Super, the Japanese broadcast was well into the Future Trunks arc. No one could've predicted what Toriyama would've come up with after planning out the FT arc. The show had to wait a year & almost a half to be dubbed anyway, so it's just a big coincidence.
Dude, I'm sure he knows it's a coincidence
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 21, 2017 4:23 am

Great to hear Chris Ayres again, its going to be a long week waiting for more :) .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 21, 2017 6:18 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Great to hear Chris Ayres again, its going to be a long week waiting for more :) .
Long fortnight*. No episode next week.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun May 21, 2017 8:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Great to hear Chris Ayres again, its going to be a long week waiting for more :) .
And in two weeks, unfortunately, We're gonna hear Todd Haberkorn as Jaco again. Hopefully he gets to be funny enough to make this arc bearable in English.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 22, 2017 10:49 am

So next month the Merged Zamasu DLC drops for XV2 so we'll get more of a taste for Marsters and a better idea what his potential Zamasu might sound like in Super. Still weird that he never got formally announced though.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:01 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
And in two weeks, unfortunately, We're gonna hear Todd Haberkorn as Jaco again.
Whats wrong with his Jaco??

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Long fortnight*. No episode next week.
And in two weeks, unfortunately, We're gonna hear Todd Haberkorn as Jaco again.
I think they mean waiting two weeks for the episode is unfortunate not Haberkorn's Jaco.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon May 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: And in two weeks, unfortunately, We're gonna hear Todd Haberkorn as Jaco again.
I think they mean waiting two weeks for the episode is unfortunate not Haberkorn's Jaco.
What he said.

DBGT101
Patreon Supporter

Post by DBGT101 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=562txXVVBro
The artist that preformed the English version of starring star released a chiptune cover of the song. Gives us a look at the full TV-size version's lyrics.