"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Since there hasn’t been much discussion lately, I’m guessing that FUNimation’s handling of the mini arc with Great Saiyaman was serviceable? Nothing too controversial?
There was some added colour to the dialogue (Barry's Watagashi-induced rant includes a line about silencing the "people online who said I couldn't fill out the suit" which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the original) but in an episode like this, it suits.

Speaking of Barry, Rob McCollum tweeted this about the show (typecasting? : https://twitter.com/RobMcCollum/status/ ... 4240322560) and it took me a while to work out what he meant. But then I remembered he played grown up Goten in GT. And what was the only thing notable about grown-up Goten? A douchey pretty boy who gets taken over by an evil parasite. He's 2 for 2 in Dragon Ball now. Except Barry Kahn is a more interesting and complex character.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Since there hasn’t been much discussion lately, I’m guessing that FUNimation’s handling of the mini arc with Great Saiyaman was serviceable? Nothing too controversial?
There was some added colour to the dialogue (Barry's Watagashi-induced rant includes a line about silencing the "people online who said I couldn't fill out the suit" which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the original) but in an episode like this, it suits.

Speaking of Barry, Rob McCollum tweeted this about the show (typecasting? : https://twitter.com/RobMcCollum/status/ ... 4240322560) and it took me a while to work out what he meant. But then I remembered he played grown up Goten in GT. And what was the only thing notable about grown-up Goten? A douchey pretty boy who gets taken over by an evil parasite. He's 2 for 2 in Dragon Ball now. Except Barry Kahn is a more interesting and complex character.
Wow. That’s pretty wild if it was intentional. It makes me wonder if they’ll get him to voice Aniraza, given that he has some experience playing giant mindless monsters in Dragon Ball as well.

While they’re at it, they could probably get Andrew Chandler to voice Zirloin and Duncan Branan to voice Zarbuto.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:57 pm

I think Stephanie Sheh (Sailor Moon) should voice Ribrianne, or if that is a bit complicated, Bryn Apprill, as someone else mentioned earlier.
I'm mostly undecided on the rest of the ToP fighters.

I do hope Sabat is able to get Scott McNeil for one of the U6 Namekians.
Eric Vale and Rob McCollum should also have a chance to voice someone in the Universe Survival arc cast. Also, Jerry Jewell is long overdue for a role in this dub.
I think Patrick Seitz could do a good job as Jiren, even if Troy Baker was my primary pick.

Also, Linda Young still voiced Baba in this episode.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:02 pm

While I don’t usually follow the dub, I decided to check this most recent episode out, and it seemed fine, although I’ll admit that it’s been over a year since I saw the Japanese version of the episode. Also, it kind of sucks for Linda Young that the only character she has left to voice is an incredibly minor character like Baba. That’s a huge downgrade from having voiced the most icnonic villain in the series.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:09 am

I dunno who else they could give her, though. I don't dislike her performance as Baba and I think she's great in Yu Yu Hakusho, but I'm not sure whose role they could give her. I can't stand her attempt at Frieza and Ayres/Mills are much more suited to him.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:49 am

mint0h wrote:I think Stephanie Sheh (Sailor Moon) should voice Ribrianne, or if that is a bit complicated, Bryn Apprill, as someone else mentioned earlier.
I'm mostly undecided on the rest of the ToP fighters.

I do hope Sabat is able to get Scott McNeil for one of the U6 Namekians.
Eric Vale and Rob McCollum should also have a chance to voice someone in the Universe Survival arc cast. Also, Jerry Jewell is long overdue for a role in this dub.
I think Patrick Seitz could do a good job as Jiren, even if Troy Baker was my primary pick.

Also, Linda Young still voiced Baba in this episode.
Stephenie has been in a few shows FUNi has dubbed, I believe. I even tweeted at Sabat weeks ago saying that he should try to get her to do it. With the fact that Sean records in LA most of the time, it'd be pretty easy to get her too.
Yes.
Yes, but don't expect Troy Baker to do a lot of anime dubbing anymore. With the amount of work he's been getting in LA, it's not likely he'll be free to do it. I mean, he stopped voicing Helmeppo in One Piece years ago, which Mike McFarland took over for. Speaking of, would anyone else want him to voice that clown God of Destruction with his Buggy voice? I think that would be a cool bit of casting. Baker's also doing work on Last of Us Part II & Death Stranding, so he's gonna be busy for a while.

Why are you surprised at that? The only role she's been replaced for is Frieza. She even voiced Baba in Kai & is still active at FUNimation.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Alright guys, so we're one episode away until the Universe Survival Arc English Dub begins. And I have two questions regarding it, but I'll save the second one for Wednesday. Now, onto the first question!

I'm pretty surprised about the fact that we haven't gotten a sneak peek at what Toppo is gonna sound like in the English Dub yet, and he's a pretty important character in this arc. So as we wait for his debut, in the upcoming weeks I wanna ask you guys, who do you think would be the best choice to voice Toppo?
Caulifla best girl! :)

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:55 pm

I know most people would hate the idea of Sabat adding another DB character to his resume, but his All Might/Alex Armstrong voice would totally fit Toppo.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

shadd21 wrote:I know most people would hate the idea of Sabat adding another DB character to his resume, but his All Might/Alex Armstrong voice would totally fit Toppo.
That's why I thought Patrick Seitz should have voiced Toppo instead of Jiren. Toppo is the definition of a Sabat character, and Seitz is who you get when you need more Sabat but already have too much Sabat.

Him as Jiren isn't bad though. Jiren is basically Endeavour without the nuance anyway.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:03 am

Does anyone know whether Funimation is going to release Dragon Ball Super as season sets or not ?

I think they are way overpriced at the momment , 30$ just for 13 episodes is ridiculous.

People in the past said the Level sets were expensive , but atleast they give you 18 episodes for 20$ instead of 12 episode for 30$.
My English is poor .

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:Does anyone know whether Funimation is going to release Dragon Ball Super as season sets or not ?

I think they are way overpriced at the momment , 30$ just for 13 episodes is ridiculous.

People in the past said the Level sets were expensive , but atleast they give you 18 episodes for 20$ instead of 12 episode for 30$.
If they do plan on Season sets, it probably won't be too much longer until we hear something about them. After all, they announced the first Kai Season about a year after the first Part released. Since it's been a little over a year since Super Part 1 came out, I suspect we'll hear something soon. Then again, they may wait a little longer than usual on announcing Seasons since Super is the new hotness. Still, I'd be surprised if we didn't get Seasons at some point. Just have patience and they'll come in due time.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:01 pm

Kataphrut wrote:

What show were you watching if you thought GT Goten was a douche pretty boy?

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:

That's exactly what he was. What's so hard to comprehend?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 am

MrTennek wrote:[spoiler]
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:

[/spoiler]

How was Goten a douche, or a pretty boy at all? You've given no examples of this. What do you have to go on anyways?
Him going on a date with a cute girl he liked because he's a teenager & a lot of them do those things? Oh, such a pretty boy.
Or was it him being taken over by Baby & turned into a Tuffle/Human/Saiyan hybrid & attacking his brother, then Vegeta, then his father at the orders of baby, whom he couldn't at all disobey because he was brainwashed. Oh, such a douche.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:17 am

Scsigs wrote:
MrTennek wrote:[spoiler]
Dbzfan94 wrote:
[/spoiler]

How was Goten a douche, or a pretty boy at all? You've given no examples of this. What do you have to go on anyways?
Him going on a date with a cute girl he liked because he's a teenager & a lot of them do those things? Oh, such a pretty boy.
Or was it him being taken over by Baby & turned into a Tuffle/Human/Saiyan hybrid & attacking his brother, then Vegeta, then his father at the orders of baby, whom he couldn't at all disobey because he was brainwashed. Oh, such a douche.
It's a joke bro

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:21 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
MrTennek wrote:[spoiler][/spoiler]

It's a joke bro
Then, as I've said elsewhere, I say that tone isn't readily apparent in text form most of the time.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Scsigs wrote: How was Goten a douche, or a pretty boy at all? You've given no examples of this. What do you have to go on anyways?
It's a joke bro
Then, as I've said elsewhere, I say that tone isn't readily apparent in text form most of the time.
Exactly. Nowhere in his post could I see a joke

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
It's a joke bro
Exactly. Nowhere in his post could I see a joke
Well to be fair, I was only joking when I said teen Goten is a douchey pretty boy. Barry Khan being a more interesting and complex character is 100% objective statement of fact.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Brice Armstrong would make a perfect Jiren.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Noah wrote:Brice Armstrong would make a perfect Jiren.
He's retired and besides, he'd sound too old.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.