"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm

MrTennek wrote:
Shaddy wrote:That is a fucking rich response coming from the guy who said this:
MrTennek wrote:Funimation now has an obligation to fill in some kind of "diversity quota" to appeal to the politically correct crazies
just because they're hiring black people now.
Simmer down and get back on topic. 'kay? :yawn:
Sorry, but you can't just open Pandora's box and not expect it to go badly. People need to be held accountable for shit like you said in the context of this topic
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:34 pm

TheOne wrote: Wow. You know what? I’m Glad they have a diversity quota. To be honest, the way they portrayed Killa in the original Funimation dub was absolutely wrong. Instead of making him speak like a normal black person, they made him sound completely illiterate and couldn’t understand a single thing he said. But guys like Mr. Tennek obviously don’t see anything wrong with that. There’s a reason why there’s Affirmative Action. If it was up to individuals to make choices, MOST (obviously not all) people would feel comfortable hiring their own. That’s a fact.
My point is that there isn't a mythical diversity quota to appease le epic essjaydabyews. Literally nothing points to that, he only said it because they had a few actors in a row that happened to be black. As if the only reason anyone black is ever hired for anything is because it needs to be progressive, not because they might have fucking talent or anything.

The fact that his only response to this is "mmm UwU calm down sweetie its okay" is just showing how fucked the ideals at play here are.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:07 pm

TheOne wrote:Does anyone know if there’s a date set for the last episode of Super for the English Dub?
Not officially, no. I tried to make a projection based on holidays they took off in 2017, but there are always surprises and I've already had to adjust it a couple of times. There will be an AOT marathon on the 17th, but that is too early for a Thanksgiving marathon, so there might be another one on the 24th, but the backdoor schedule appears normal on that day. (I've seen that change in the past, but for now I'm assuming Super will be back on the 24th.)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm

MrTennek wrote:Then don't. Politics have no place in this thread. Nor do petty insults based off of them.
You don't get to actively participate in questionable-at-best/gross-at-worst social commentary and then wall it off with "whoa whoa, good sir, no politics here!"

Like, what. Fucking no. You're accountable for the things you say and you get to be called out on it. This is you being called out and held accountable for it.

We've already removed some users for similar stuff, so if this is your hill to die on, I mean, so be it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:00 pm

TheOne wrote:
MrTennek wrote:Funimation now has an obligation to fill in some kind of "diversity quota" to appeal to the politically correct crazies
Wow. You know what? I’m Glad they have a diversity quota. To be honest, the way they portrayed Killa in the original Funimation dub was absolutely wrong. Instead of making him speak like a normal black person, they made him sound completely illiterate and couldn’t understand a single thing he said. But guys like Mr. Tennek obviously don’t see anything wrong with that. There’s a reason why there’s Affirmative Action. If it was up to individuals to make choices, MOST (obviously not all) people would feel comfortable hiring their own. That’s a fact.

Now back on topic. Does anyone know if there’s a date set for the last episode of Super for the English Dub?
Can we PLEASE just kill this BS already? Look, I'll attempt to do so.

1. There is NO diversity quota at FUNi. Stop saying/thinking they do. They're not the BBC. If there were, we'd probably know about it. Literally this is going on only because they needed more people to voice characters in the dub of this show. As I've said, FUNi now has the capital & reach to do so. They've been doing so with One Piece for years now, due to the gradual growth of the numbers of characters, which is massive. The current technology that also allows for telecommunication recordings also makes that easier, hence why Sean Schemmel records out in LA where he lives. There's no affirmative action stuff here, just hiring more people. People often times get hired for jobs based on merits, status, & connections first, not race. Voice acting often only needs you to sound the part for a character rather than look the part, so this is just the case of Sabat hiring a lot of people to play these characters. This happens all the time in these situations, I'm sure you'll find. I don't agree with forced diversity quotas & it's obvious FUNi aren't enforcing one on their casting directors.
2. You, TheOne, look at all of the problems with the Z dub & Killa is what comes to mind first? Admittedly, it was still a problem making him talk like Boomhauer, but that's a problem with the translations & scriptings of the time, which I still maintain were awful 99% of the time & the only people who could possibly like them have either no respect for the series, or are nostalgia blind. However, that's not racist. That's just making him completely incomprehensible. And cherry-picking something from the old Z dub & painting someone as racist isn't gonna do anything but stir up more arguments by making straw people out of them. Killa's still voiced by a white guy in Kai, but scripted a HELL of a lot better so...

If anyone else wants to hash this out elsewhere, which is what I suggest doing, there are other venues to do this with.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:08 pm

So, how many episodes are left for the freaking tournament begins? :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Noah wrote:So, how many episodes are left for the freaking tournament begins? :)
10 or 11.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Didnt expect there to be a race debate when I came back here. I've seen little problem with voices chosen for the official English dub. Does it matter if they are black? That should be completely irrelevant especially as the characters they portray aren't racially portrayed as any earth race. The actors of the Pride Troopers have done a good job can we just leave it that.

Huber stepped back into 17 like he never left which is pretty impressive. Another solid dub week, stand out was probably that line about respecting the earth or getting buried 6 feet under it. That was nice, I can't recall the original script version of that line being as memorable (obviously).

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 am

How many episodes until we hear Caulifla and Kale’s voices?

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:22 am

shadd21 wrote:How many episodes until we hear Caulifla and Kale’s voices?
Last episode was 86.

Just one for Caulifla as she will be in episode 88.

Kale doesnt speak until episode 92-93, so she is still a few weeks away.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 am

Scsigs wrote:
TheOne wrote:

Wow. You know what? I’m Glad they have a diversity quota. To be honest, the way they portrayed Killa in the original Funimation dub was absolutely wrong. Instead of making him speak like a normal black person, they made him sound completely illiterate and couldn’t understand a single thing he said. But guys like Mr. Tennek obviously don’t see anything wrong with that. There’s a reason why there’s Affirmative Action. If it was up to individuals to make choices, MOST (obviously not all) people would feel comfortable hiring their own. That’s a fact.

Now back on topic. Does anyone know if there’s a date set for the last episode of Super for the English Dub?

1. There is NO diversity quota at FUNi. Stop saying/thinking they do. They're not the BBC. If there were, we'd probably know about it. Literally this is going on only because they needed more people to voice characters in the dub of this show. As I've said, FUNi now has the capital & reach to do so. They've been doing so with One Piece for years now, due to the gradual growth of the numbers of characters, which is massive. The current technology that also allows for telecommunication recordings also makes that easier, hence why Sean Schemmel records out in LA where he lives. There's no affirmative action stuff here, just hiring more people. People often times get hired for jobs based on merits, status, & connections first, not race. Voice acting often only needs you to sound the part for a character rather than look the part, so this is just the case of Sabat hiring a lot of people to play these characters. This happens all the time in these situations, I'm sure you'll find. I don't agree with forced diversity quotas & it's obvious FUNi aren't enforcing one on their casting directors.
2. You, TheOne, look at all of the problems with the Z dub & Killa is what comes to mind first? Admittedly, it was still a problem making him talk like Boomhauer, but that's a problem with the translations & scriptings of the time, which I still maintain were awful 99% of the time & the only people who could possibly like them have either no respect for the series, or are nostalgia blind. However, that's not racist. That's just making him completely incomprehensible. And cherry-picking something from the old Z dub & painting someone as racist isn't gonna do anything but stir up more arguments by making straw people out of them. Killa's still voiced by a white guy in Kai, but scripted a HELL of a lot better so...

If anyone else wants to hash this out elsewhere, which is what I suggest doing, there are other venues to do this with.

Why does Killa bother me? Because I’m black. Obviously I didn’t catch onto it when I was younger, but having the only black character in the series be somebody who can’t speak correctly is effed up. Especially since that’s a legitimate stereotype that is still a problem to this day. I don’t expect you to understand why that sticks out, but if you really want to dig into this, message me.

As far as the Dub goes, You are entitled to your opinion. I love the original Funimation dub moreso than Kai. That doesn’t mean I’m blinded by Nostalgia. It means I have a preference. There are a lot of aspects of Kai that I strongly dislike, but at the same time there are things in the original Dub that frustrate me as well. No product is perfect, but I’ll be darned if I let someone like you try to make me feel like I’m wrong for liking a specific dub. It’s called an opinion for a reason. Don’t pretend like what you’re saying is a fact.
How i predict the tournament will end:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TheOne wrote:

Um...yeah, Killa's manner of incoherent babbling fell in line with a very obvious racial stereotype. The accent, his mannerisms, his dialect...it's a dumb "black voice" that's straight from the Minstrel Show archives. And the fact that it was a white guy voicing and (99% likely) white script writers coming up with it is even more concerning. Calling it a "boomhauer voice" (and Boomhauer itself is mocking incomprehensible redneck speech!) is just...absurdly disingenuous and erases the issues that are there.

Watch : this and this, and then this and try to tell me there's no similarity to be found.

AT BEST, you can call it a bad Mr. T impression or a dumbed down blaxploitation villain.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Glen300 wrote:
shadd21 wrote:How many episodes until we hear Caulifla and Kale’s voices?
Last episode was 86.

Just one for Caulifla as she will be in episode 88.

Kale doesnt speak until episode 92-93, so she is still a few weeks away.
I think she appears in 88 but doesn't actually speak until 89 so we'll have to tune into Master Roshi's Fun Times with Sexual Assault episode in order to hear her, unfortunately. They haven't confirmed it yet, but it's all but certain it's going to Elizabeth Maxwell and Dawn Bennett. I'm a little less sure about Patrick Seitz still being Jiren, I seem to recall them being quiet about that casting when it came out in Xenoverse 2, it could potentially be another Hit situation.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
TheOne wrote:

Um...yeah, Killa's manner of incoherent babbling fell in line with a very obvious racial stereotype. The accent, his mannerisms, his dialect...it's a dumb "black voice" that's straight from the Minstrel Show archives. And the fact that it was a white guy voicing and (99% likely) white script writers coming up with it is even more concerning. Calling it a "boomhauer voice" (and Boomhauer itself is mocking incomprehensible redneck speech!) is just...absurdly disingenuous and erases the issues that are there.

Watch : this and this, and then this and try to tell me there's no similarity to be found.

AT BEST, you can call it a bad Mr. T impression or a dumbed down blaxploitation villain.
Exactly. But you can’t convince guys like him. He’s already made up his mind on how he views the situation.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Watch : this and this, and then this and try to tell me there's no similarity to be found.

FYI, the second and third clips you've linked are to the same video. I'm assuming the third one is supposed to be Funi dub Killa himself.

On a related note, what did he sound like in Kai?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Shaddy wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: Watch : this and this, and then this and try to tell me there's no similarity to be found.

FYI, the second and third clips you've linked are to the same video. I'm assuming the third one is supposed to be Funi dub Killa himself.

Jason Douglas voiced him.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Shaddy wrote:

Oh, whoops. Thanks. This is what I meant to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziaP7lfusZg
Cold World (Fanfic)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:26 pm

TheOne wrote:Exactly. But you can’t convince guys like him. He’s already made up his mind on how he views the situation.
Ok, stop. I never said Killa's voice in the FUNi dub of Z wasn't a problem. In fact, it IS a problem. However, I'm grouping it with all of the other major problems of Z's dub. Do not call me or think of me as a racist, because I'm certainly not, & I thank you to quit that bullshit.
Z's problems include: Bad voice acting & direction because of the inexperience of all involved when it switched to the Texas-based cast, ill-fitting voices, like Frieza's, that have since been switched with better ones, bad translations, poor scriptings of the bad translations, a general rushed-feeling production, which it probably was, a lot of bad music replacements, amongst others that have been stated before. Killa's voice is a perfect combination of at least 4 of these problems.
I never said you were wrong to hate the voice. It's certainly a bad thing to have him sound like Black Boomhauer from King of the Hill. However, like I said, it's not the first bad thing this dub did (Vegeta's pleas to Goku to avenge the Saiyans because Frieza forced him to work with him even though that made NO sense even in the dub's context anyone?), it's not the last, & it's certainly not the biggest ("Ally to good, nightmare to you!"). In fact, in regards to the dub's massive missteps, I'd say it's one of the smaller ones. They rectified it in Kai like a lot of other things, so I take that as an apology. Basically everyone who worked on that dub regrets a lot of the decisions made during it, but FUNi loves money & people are nostalgia-blind, so we're not ever gonna get a proper redub of the series outside of Kai & the video games. I get why you'd single it out, but I group the small amounts of "racial insensitivity" in the dub with the other problems. It more compounds the issue than stands out for me, k? It's a genuine problem, but one of many.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:14 am

Really liking the English dub of Limit Break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtOP721n0s

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:40 am

Scsigs wrote:Ok, stop. I never said Killa's voice in the FUNi dub of Z wasn't a problem. In fact, it IS a problem. However, I'm grouping it with all of the other major problems of Z's dub. Do not call me or think of me as a racist, because I'm certainly not, & I thank you to quit that bullshit.
Z's problems include: Bad voice acting & direction because of the inexperience of all involved when it switched to the Texas-based cast, ill-fitting voices, like Frieza's, that have since been switched with better ones, bad translations, poor scriptings of the bad translations, a general rushed-feeling production, which it probably was, a lot of bad music replacements, amongst others that have been stated before. Killa's voice is a perfect combination of at least 4 of these problems.
I never said you were wrong to hate the voice. It's certainly a bad thing to have him sound like Black Boomhauer from King of the Hill. However, like I said, it's not the first bad thing this dub did (Vegeta's pleas to Goku to avenge the Saiyans because Frieza forced him to work with him even though that made NO sense even in the dub's context anyone?), it's not the last, & it's certainly not the biggest ("Ally to good, nightmare to you!"). In fact, in regards to the dub's massive missteps, I'd say it's one of the smaller ones. They rectified it in Kai like a lot of other things, so I take that as an apology. Basically everyone who worked on that dub regrets a lot of the decisions made during it, but FUNi loves money & people are nostalgia-blind, so we're not ever gonna get a proper redub of the series outside of Kai & the video games. I get why you'd single it out, but I group the small amounts of "racial insensitivity" in the dub with the other problems. It more compounds the issue than stands out for me, k? It's a genuine problem, but one of many.
"Ally to good, nightmare to you" is on a different plane of existence than what happened with Killa. You can't even begin to place them as even remotely comparable. They're not. One's just being shitty at your job, and the other is being a genuinely shitty person. In that order, respectively.

Trying to sweep that away as one little thing among a bunch of other dumb dubisms is appalling and shows a complete lack of understanding.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::