"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:55 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Like THAT James Marsters? Spike and Piccolo James Marsters? Has he ever even been in an anime before?
none that I know of but he has done voice work. He was Lex Luther in Superman: Doomsday and DC Universe Online, 2 spiderman series and a series of audio books off the top of my head.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Yeah... I'm... not digging what I've heard from English dub of Zamasu so far, to be brutally honest. I appreciate the effort being put in to making the character sound regal, youthful and composed, but the delivery just sounds too stilted. I hope what we get in Super is better than this.
Well as I always say, Just like Beerus and Whis in Battle of Z the voice actors have had zero time to work on and perfect the voices. They get the rightish voices and just have to roll with it. I expect them to have worked out the kinks by the time Super gets that far.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjerYwa6UwA

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Zamasu is James Marsters 90% sure!!!!

https://youtu.be/V0Dt3Kpdgac

What a casting. Unbelievable.
Really? That's who you suspect? I looked up his filmography &, while he's no stranger to voice acting, he hasn't done any anime voice acting, so it's kind of unlikely.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ya'll need to realise this is just a video game, they are literally just reading lines.
It's a fair thing to take into account, no doubt, but can we really write off criticism on that basis? Obviously not. The only context we have for the new voices aren't good, so we're going to say that they aren't good. Will they get better later? Almost certainly, but this isn't later, this is now, and now is not good for these voices.
Retired.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:

Really? That's who you suspect? I looked up his filmography &, while he's no stranger to voice acting, he hasn't done any anime voice acting, so it's kind of unlikely.
He said that he was working with Sabat back in December
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:31 pm

So why does SS Rose Goku Black have a British accent, while Zamasu nor his base form do not?

Don't get me wrong, I love that voice for Black, but Zamasu should have a similar accent for that to make sense.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Scsigs wrote:

Yup evidence is overwhelming:
a) Him and Sabat have worked on something.
b) It sounds exactly like him.
c) Marsters recently followed Schemmel and MacFarland and vice versa.
d) Explains the fact that unlike Champa and Vados the streamers were NDA'd and no announcement was made about the casting.
e) Sabat told Geekdom he wouldn't believe who they got to play Zamasu and Marsters certainly fits that category.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Yup evidence is overwhelming:
a) Him and Sabat have worked on something.
b) It sounds exactly like him.
c) Marsters recently followed Schemmel and MacFarland and vice versa.
d) Explains the fact that unlike Champa and Vados the streamers were NDA'd and no announcement was made about the casting.
e) Sabat told Geekdom he wouldn't believe who they got to play Zamasu and Marsters certainly fits that category.
I guess. It's certainly out of left field, that's for sure.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, if it really is James Masters voicing Zamasu... at least they got a someone who is fan of Dragon Ball. So let's hope he take into account feedback and improves his performance.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Jason Douglas in that Battle of Z clip is truly terrible in comparison.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:56 pm

So I turned on the English voices to check out Zamasu's and Goku Black's voices...

Schemmel is god awful. His regular Black voice is SO bad that I am legit surprised they let him use that voice. His Rosé voice is also COMPLETELY different for no reason. It sounds like a different person. It also sounds pretty awkward by using a forced British accent, but it is nowhere near as bad as base form Black. If Schemmel doesn't change things in the actual anime, then I pity the dub-only fans that will have to go through that terrible voice.

Zamasu I think is at an OK place. The voice is decent. I don't have much to say about him other than he's not amazing or bad.

Overall, color me disappointed. The "it's just a video game" excuse doesn't apply here because Schemmel himself said that he gave the Rosé form a completely different voice because he had more flamboyant lines compared to his base form appearances. That makes zero sense. Nobody grows a British accent out of nowhere. Hopefully they change their approach.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 pm

MajinMan wrote:So I turned on the English voices to check out Zamasu's and Goku Black's voices...

Schemmel is god awful. His regular Black voice is SO bad that I am legit surprised they let him use that voice. His Rosé voice is also COMPLETELY different for no reason. It sounds like a different person. It also sounds pretty awkward by using a forced British accent, but it is nowhere near as bad as base form Black. If Schemmel doesn't change things in the actual anime, then I pity the dub-only fans that will have to go through that terrible voice.

Zamasu I think is at an OK place. The voice is decent. I don't have much to say about him other than he's not amazing or bad.

Overall, color me disappointed. The "it's just a video game" excuse doesn't apply here because Schemmel himself said that he gave the Rosé form a completely different voice because he had more flamboyant lines compared to his base form appearances. That makes zero sense. Nobody grows a British accent out of nowhere. Hopefully they change their approach.
I agree on Base Black, when Xenoverse 2 first came out the little we heard of him I didn't care for but with his dialogue in the PQ's it's really bad. I really hope for Super he does not use this voice.

Zamasu's voice I like, it is not perfect but I think by the time the future arc comes around it will be even better.

Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black is definitly a step in the right direction although I think Schemmel should dial back slightly on the accent.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Is there SERIOUSLY no announcement on who plays Zamasu yet? How long did it take for Champa & Vados' actors to get announced after the last DLC pack?

Black's Rose voice I wouldn't mind Schemmel using during Black's speeches in the show, but otherwise, a more smarmy version of his regular Goku voice, sans accent, is DEFINITELY the way to go for the character. Also, using SS4 for Black was just a bad decision, seeing as HIS SS4 voice is way different than Nozawa's.

What's confusing the fuck out of me is that Schemmel seems to consider the versions of Black different characters, which doesn't make any sense at all. What could be going on is that Sabat told him to talk in the accent for Rose to gauge reaction after the divided reception to his first Black voice. Could that be it?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:03 pm

Scsigs wrote:Is there SERIOUSLY no announcement on who plays Zamasu yet?
We're already 95% sure it's James Marsters, we have plenty of evidence that seems to point that way. Official confirmation isn't really necessary at this point.
Scsigs wrote:What's confusing the fuck out of me is that Schemmel seems to consider the versions of Black different characters, which doesn't make any sense at all.
I don't think that's an honest interpretation on Schemmel's statements. He simply said that his new voice wasn't an update on the original Goku Black, but his transformation. While I originally interpreted this as Schemmel having a separate voice for the two states, I now think it's more likely that he was talking specifically in-game distinctions. As in, the voice for the original Goku Black slot didn't change, just the new form. Since he doesn't seem to be watching Super, it's understandable that he may not be able properly contextualize in discussions about the voice, and that's what I think happened.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:50 pm

I hope they get their shit together by the time this stuff comes up. I remember Hit's voice being awful as well.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 am

After listening to rosé, I am concerned for the dub..
Zamasu ain't marvellous either, it barely makes average...
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

NeciFiX

Post by NeciFiX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

Their voices are terrible. Black sounds like Sean Schemmel smoked a pack of cigarettes, and Zamasu and Hit are pretty atrocious as well.
Moderator Team Leader @ www.dbzf.co.uk for 12 years! :)

Stannis I Baratheon quotes - A Song of Ice and Fire

“I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King's Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men."

"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."

"Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice."

“Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:54 am

TheAldella wrote:Jason Douglas in that Battle of Z clip is truly terrible in comparison.
So was Schemmel's SSG, but let people overreact it's what the fandom does best, certainly not using logic.
These voices are for Xenoverse 2 not Dragon Ball Super .

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:13 am

I'm sure that at least *some* of the Black Arc characters were recorded before the Arc began, with no reference whatsoever.
I personally don't have an issue with what I've heard up to now.
I just hope we get to see the dub soon, though I doubt it will happen until next year, unless this secret Fornever and BardockObama are keeping hush is a Simuldub.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:I'm sure that at least *some* of the Black Arc characters were recorded before the Arc began, with no reference whatsoever.
I personally don't have an issue with what I've heard up to now.
I just hope we get to see the dub soon, though I doubt it will happen until next year, unless this secret Fornever and BardockObama are keeping hush is a Simuldub.
Yeah Schemmel's Base Black was recorded before the arc began in Japan.
As for the "secret" who knows at this point, it wasn't about the BD release it isn't about Marsters since someone tweeted Forneverworld telling him sorry Mercer implying Fornever wanted him and therefore wasn't wary about Marsters. FUNi announced the rest of their SD's yesterday so ship has sailed on a U.S arc SD (that was unlikely to begin with) the only thing left to assume is that it might be the Trunks arc being streamed sometime, Sabat said that Schemmel's Black voice is still in the works but he can't discuss any futher other than we'll like it. But only a month or so ago he was openly talking about translations for the Trunks arc.... Hmm...