"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The "Zalama" error wasn't fixed but the "Vegeta saying Goku" and "Calm Kaio Ken" ones were fixed
What about the number of push-ups? Was that corrected to 100 trillion rather than just 1 trillion?
supersaiyandoctor wrote:Nadolny's Goku was great and one of my favorite parts of the Dragon Ball dub. Not sure why Super didn't just reuse some of her audio for that flashback scene considering if someone was to watch Dragon Ball, it's Nadolny for every episode.
Maybe because the fact that it was reanimated wholesale rather than a clip from the OG Dragon Ball anime had them decide to have newly recorded dialogue for it? But then you could say that about Kai TFC, where they could've reused Goku's line Nadolny recorded when the ref remembered Goku as a kid when he saw Goten in the ring. Then again, they could've done the same with Cell's 1 Hell scene line, since they didn't even bother to get Clarke or Willingham to record it. Then again, they didn't even bother to change the dialogue Gaz & Mez had to remove the reference to Goku falling off of Snake Way because it creates a discontinuity from the first 98 episodes, so I don't know.
Then again, they reused Nadolny's recordings, & I think even Schemmel's, recordings from the DB & Z dubs for Battle of God's opening flashback, so I don't know what the hell Sabat's doing with these dubs with all of the inconsistencies. They got Krillin's VA from DB to reprise HER role, mostly because she's still living in Texas & is in the One Piece dub at the very least for the company, so why do they not get Nadolny back whatsoever? It's just stupid. It's confusing because you'd think they'd want as much consistency as possible with their VAs, but I guess not, especially since, if you go from DB to Kai, to GT or Super, there's no consistency with some of the voices. Clinkenbeard sounds NOTHING like Nadolny as well, so it's even MORE bad in that instance.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:In all honesty they will probably air GT as it would be the logical choice for where to go from EoZ.
Maybe with a new dub of GT?
Man wouldn't it be awesome if it was a new dub of Dragon ball with Dragon box footage. :'(
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:The "Zalama" error wasn't fixed but the "Vegeta saying Goku" and "Calm Kaio Ken" ones were fixed
What about the number of push-ups? Was that corrected to 100 trillion rather than just 1 trillion?
That episode was not part of the batch of episodes that went up on FUNiNow today
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:35 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
That episode was not part of the batch of episodes that went up on FUNiNow today
Ah.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:In all honesty they will probably air GT as it would be the logical choice for where to go from EoZ.
I'd like to think so, but realistically I can't see it happening. Would be nice though.
Funimation convincing Toei to do a Kai version of the original Dragon Ball for international markets would be amazing.

Granted they don't crop and fuck up the editing this time though. The way they edited the original "Z"(minus Buu) Kai would be fine.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Man wouldn't it be awesome if it was a new dub of Dragon ball with Dragon box footage. :'(
That wouldn't have been awesome, that would have been Super!
Caulifla best girl! :)

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 pm

We need more Monica Rial Bulma in our lives.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 am

Scsigs wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote:Nadolny's Goku was great and one of my favorite parts of the Dragon Ball dub. Not sure why Super didn't just reuse some of her audio for that flashback scene considering if someone was to watch Dragon Ball, it's Nadolny for every episode.
Maybe because the fact that it was reanimated wholesale rather than a clip from the OG Dragon Ball anime had them decide to have newly recorded dialogue for it? But then you could say that about Kai TFC, where they could've reused Goku's line Nadolny recorded when the ref remembered Goku as a kid when he saw Goten in the ring. Then again, they could've done the same with Cell's 1 Hell scene line, since they didn't even bother to get Clarke or Willingham to record it. Then again, they didn't even bother to change the dialogue Gaz & Mez had to remove the reference to Goku falling off of Snake Way because it creates a discontinuity from the first 98 episodes, so I don't know.
Then again, they reused Nadolny's recordings, & I think even Schemmel's, recordings from the DB & Z dubs for Battle of God's opening flashback, so I don't know what the hell Sabat's doing with these dubs with all of the inconsistencies. They got Krillin's VA from DB to reprise HER role, mostly because she's still living in Texas & is in the One Piece dub at the very least for the company, so why do they not get Nadolny back whatsoever? It's just stupid. It's confusing because you'd think they'd want as much consistency as possible with their VAs, but I guess not, especially since, if you go from DB to Kai, to GT or Super, there's no consistency with some of the voices. Clinkenbeard sounds NOTHING like Nadolny as well, so it's even MORE bad in that instance.
That's the thing, there is no consistency with some of the voices no matter which way you watch it. Even the flashback of Kid Vegeta in Super, and how he sounds nothing like he did in either Z or Z Kai. I know they reused lines for BOG because they were treating it as a Z product not a Z Kai.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:45 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
I'd like to think so, but realistically I can't see it happening. Would be nice though.
Who'd wanna constantly hear Clinkenbeard as kid Goku, though? For me, it's Nadolny as kid Goku, or nothing when it comes to these dubs.

Maybe they'll get One Piece back to mirror the Japanese airings of the shows. I'd certainly like that as a substitution.
This. Nadolny's Goku was great and one of my favorite parts of the Dragon Ball dub. Not sure why Super didn't just reuse some of her audio for that flashback scene considering if someone was to watch Dragon Ball, it's Nadolny for every episode.
That's your opinion. Not everyone shares it so saying "
if someone was to watch Dragon Ball, it's Nadolny for every episode." is not the right thing to say.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Rawly Pickens told me the Zuno quote was fixed, disappointing.
The Blu-rays are still to come out, maybe corrected for that, since those are the definitive release.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
Rawly Pickens told me the Zuno quote was fixed, disappointing.
The Blu-rays are still to come out, maybe corrected for that, since those are the definitive release.
I just spoke to Rawly again actually, and he reiterated it had been caught and corrected immediately after broadcast and he can't work out why the mix hasn't been updated.
So you are right, it'll be fine on the BluRay :D

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:13 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Maybe with a new dub of GT?
That wouldn't have been awesome, that would have been Super!
YOOO!!!
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Looks like I was right about no episode going to be out on the 23rd. Episode 45 will be out on January 6th.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Looks like I was right about no episode going to be out on the 23rd. Episode 45 will be out on January 6th.
Yep, there's a Cowboy Bebop marathon on 12/23, and a Super marathon on 12/30. No new episodes on either of those weeks.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm

wjbraden wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Looks like I was right about no episode going to be out on the 23rd. Episode 45 will be out on January 6th.
Yep, there's a Cowboy Bebop marathon on 12/23, and a Super marathon on 12/30. No new episodes on either of those weeks.
Well, shit.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Just found out that the Future Trunks arc started in Japan on my 20th birthday last year. Can't wait to see that arc dubbed into English.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 pm

The Future Trunks arc will start next month on the 20th when Episode 47 airs. It won't end until the end of June around June 23rd. I hope Funimation listen to the feedback from Fans and give Black a new voice.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:The Future Trunks arc will start next month on the 20th when Episode 47 airs. It won't end until the end of June around June 23rd. I hope Funimation listen to the feedback from Fans and give Black a new voice.
I've seen some people say that they have.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope Funimation listen to the feedback from Fans and give Black a new voice.
With new voice you mean a new actor? Cause I'm sure Schemmel is whilling to do Black justice after his awful voice acting in XENOVERSE 2.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Noah wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope Funimation listen to the feedback from Fans and give Black a new voice.
With new voice you mean a new actor? Cause I'm sure Schemmel is whilling to do Black justice after his awful voice acting in XENOVERSE 2.
Why would they change Goku's VA in English? They've already established that Schemmel's his English VA & it would make NO sense for him NOT to be for various reasons I could go into.