"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm

jcogginsa wrote:where is the thread? I haven't been able to find it
In the General Franchise Discussion.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm

jcogginsa wrote:where is the thread? I haven't been able to find it
It's specifically called "Vic Mignogna." It's in the "general franchise discussion" section.

Can we all please keep discussion of Vic to THAT thread instead of this one & just have this one dedicated to the dub of Super, as was originally intended? Discussion of Vic right now leads to a certain unpleasantness, some of which I've been admittedly involved with to a degree.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 am

Ending 9 in English uploaded to Youtube. It's alright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkOOctuVfU

But have a look at the cast list. We just got introduced to a shit-tonne of new characters, and while most of them are extras, check out just how few repeated voice actor names there are. In the old days, that list would be 70 percent Sabat.

I think that's heartening, it goes to show just how big the stable has gotten. When this episode aired last weekend, there were a lot of "I'm so honoured to be in Dragon Ball" tweets from young actors popping up. Again, this is the counter argument to anyone who thinks Funimation Dragon Ball reuses too many of it's cast members. That hasn't been the case for ages now, and it's only improving.

Also...means they won't have to look too hard to find a replacement Broly. AND THAT'S ALL WE'LL SAY ABOUT THAT HERE MOVING ON.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Ending 9 in English uploaded to Youtube. It's alright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkOOctuVfU

But have a look at the cast list. We just got introduced to a shit-tonne of new characters, and while most of them are extras, check out just how few repeated voice actor names there are. In the old days, that list would be 70 percent Sabat.

I think that's heartening, it goes to show just how big the stable has gotten. When this episode aired last weekend, there were a lot of "I'm so honoured to be in Dragon Ball" tweets from young actors popping up. Again, this is the counter argument to anyone who thinks Funimation Dragon Ball reuses too many of it's cast members. That hasn't been the case for ages now, and it's only improving.

Also...means they won't have to look too hard to find a replacement Broly. AND THAT'S ALL WE'LL SAY ABOUT THAT HERE MOVING ON.
When they put it into a credit list like that one fully starts to Grasp the level of the Scoop of the VA job Funmination had to juggle ahead of them, this is like Avengers: Infinty War Roaster level! :shock:

Bravo to Funimation and all this talent having to learn how to juggle this story and finding out how to fit in so many sessions to get all these voices down on what is likely a tight schedule! :clap:

Most Importantly,The voice actors I was most looking forward to be revievaled in these credits where the voices of the other 2 Kamikaze Fireballs Madiens ~ Sanka Ku/Kakunsa & Sous Roas/Rozie and these Credits Finally Provided those answers!

Sanka Ku/Kakunsa: Morgan Berry! 8)
https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Morgan_Berry

Sous Roas/Rozie: Kristi Rothrock! :angel:
https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Kristi_Rothrock

Both of these ladies are pretty new to my lexicon of Actor Knowledge, by Morgan Berry by my research has done a good amount of Voice Acting over the years by her resume, most Notable is her Voice of Thirteen from My Hero Academia! Another voice work of hers I looked up might be also the closes example of what I think she might sound like when Voicing Kakunsa when we finally get to episode 102. Here Morgan is voicing the girl Yoshiko, the Girl that falls from a Tree, from Love Live Sunshine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZverZ4nMw

Kristi Rothrock seems even newer to the Anime Voice Acting scene but she has a good amount of credit to her as well, I will be interested in what voice she brings to Rozie, but most amazing is that Kristi if you see a picture of her looks a decent deal like Sous Roas in her human form, so that is just IMO a fun and unique coincidence! :angel:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 0210112516
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 pm

I always kind of felt like these characters, along with the episodic JoJo villains, would be a great way for dubbing studios to foster young and inexperienced talent and expand their repertoire of actors and actresses, so I'm glad to see that sort of thing put in action.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:21 am

Shaddy wrote:I always kind of felt like these characters, along with the episodic JoJo villains, would be a great way for dubbing studios to foster young and inexperienced talent and expand their repertoire of actors and actresses, so I'm glad to see that sort of thing put in action.
I mean, FUNi's being doing that for years now with One Piece. Obviously at a slower rate, but with One Piece having an ever-expanding amount of characters each arc, it's necessary.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:56 am

Funimation just gave us A+ Material when it came to Episode 98 Tonight! :clap: :D

Honestly for characters we only Sadly, Even More Sadly after seeing this episode, that we only get for 1 episode Funimation got some Great Voices to Play them!

Hop the Cat Girl was played by Amanda Gish and I Completely LOVED her take on her! Every word she said was Sassy and Cool 8) , I Wished she could stick around SO much longer, a wicked wasted of a cool design in Hop and a Magnificent job by Amanda Gish on her! :thumbup:

Even the Dragon Chappil played by Taylor Harris, who seemed sadly really underused in the origin run, the Funimation dub Chappil felt much more epic and well utilized just by Mr. Harris's voice alone!

Funmination is hitting it out of the Park for me so far, their work is making the ToP FAR more Epic and it feels to have FAR more Weight to each character and each universe then I had thought it would be, IMO Funimation Gives ALLOT of Justice to SO many underused characters in the ToP like Hop, Chappil and others just by how good they do in Presenting them and getting the perfect voices for them!

Also the Trio-De-Dangers where On Point Perfect as well, but I expect that out of their Voice Actors Already! :wink:

My only dismay is always the original Writing of the Story that was Toei doing. Knowing what is to come, Universe 7 is just made WAY Unnecessary Overpowered and Toei Should have made more of these characters more powerful to add to more higher-stakes battles, real tension and giving more respect to each Warrior! Also to lengthened the story out far longer and with that they should have had healing characters to make sense of longer battles and fighting at higher power-levels more justified instead of holding back to much of the time as an excuses. Gets seriously boring seeing Universe 7 win so much, they should have evened it more out. A Wicked waste cause after Hearing how good Funimation did with Universe 9 I wanted them to Go MUCH higher in Power levels and Last a lot Longer and I already liked Universe 9!
My #1 in DB!

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Daman Mills is killing it.

If (god forbid) anything should happen to Chris Ayres it's good to know Freeza is in safe hands.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 am

I feel like there a lot more jokes added in this ep? Only one I felt that was a bit too much was the action figure one, at that point ragging on U9 was getting old.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm

The action figures line was fine. I can tolerate punched up dialogue as long as they don't change the tone of the scene, especially when a serious moment is ruined by a joke like Hit's "Time for me to make the donuts".

I'm still enjoying the dub, but the Tournament of Power will be a slog to get through again. If only Funimation were further ahead in dubbing I'd be all for a marathon of new episodes (which Toonami sadly won't do).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:The action figures line was fine. I can tolerate punched up dialogue as long as they don't change the tone of the scene, especially when a serious moment is ruined by a joke like Hit's "Time for me to make the donuts".

I'm still enjoying the dub, but the Tournament of Power will be a slog to get through again. If only Funimation were further ahead in dubbing I'd be all for a marathon of new episodes (which Toonami sadly won't do).
I mean, why would they run a marathon of what are new episodes for them? They only marathon older episodes. Plus, marathons take up their block & wouldn't allow them to show any of their other shows. People here have gotten PISSED when marathons of other shows, like the Rick & Morty April Fool's Day marathon when the first episode repeated for 4 hours 2 years ago. Can you imagine how fans of the OTHER anime shows they run on their block would feel if Dragon Ball Super took the timeslot, especially when it's a part of one of the most popular anime franchises of all time?

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 am

Maanged to get Super: Broly off Amazon UK with the Japanese audio and YIKES. Funimation completely destroyed the audio mixing on this film. You don't notice until you hear the Japanese 5.1 track, but the balancing and oomph of the SFX and music is so toned down in the English Dub and drowned out by the voices. The vast library of SFX used in this film i didn't fully realise in the dub at all and it's a shame cause the audio may be my new favourite part of this film. The impact felt in Gogeta v Broly with the Japanese audio mixing. Pure bliss. I can only hope they fix it for the English blu-ray.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 pm

If you're talking about the English audio from the Screener leak, it's not a fair comparison. Wait for one of the official releases to come out before you say such things.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Danfun64 wrote:If you're talking about the English audio from the Screener leak, it's not a fair comparison. Wait for one of the official releases to come out before you say such things.
Yeah. I can only think of 1 thing that FUNi botched the audio masters on & it was the Kai: TFC audio having muffled sound effects. Other than that, the audio masters for their dubs have been stellar.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 am

So, the latest dub episode of Super just aired. Did anyone else catch one of the Kai's saying Goku as Go-KU instead of GO-ku?
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 am

ABSOLUTELY KRILLIN' IT

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:45 am

gokaiblue wrote:So, the latest dub episode of Super just aired. Did anyone else catch one of the Kai's saying Goku as Go-KU instead of GO-ku?
Doc Morgan does that too

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 am

As Always what I am Enjoying about the Funimation dub is that they are hitting it not only on point with Good Voice actors for each character, but they are making each character feel Epic no matter where they fall on the Power Level of Imporatances and I have grown tired of that being a main standard for characters. Each of these interactions feels intenest and excells each fighter by their own personias and fighting themes!

Shosa by Brian Olvera & Majora by Christopher Wehkamp did their job nicely and made me appreciate the characters much more with their work on them. The Funimation ToP is feeling like the way a ToP should be, Epic with Each encounter and not feeling sidelined just cause they are not Goku Power Levels;

~~Fighters are Fighters and Skill is Still Skill~~ The Voice actors along with the nicely rendered Animations conveys Shosa and Majora's Skills are Warriors and Skilled Fighters Well! :thumbup:

Episode 99, Another Nice Funimatoin ToP Episode! 8)
My #1 in DB!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:00 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:So, the latest dub episode of Super just aired. Did anyone else catch one of the Kai's saying Goku as Go-KU instead of GO-ku?
Doc Morgan does that too
Doc Morgan from what I can recall generally uses GO-ku, not Go-KU from what I can recall.

Also, Krillin it was not a good dub decision.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 am

gokaiblue wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Doc Morgan does that too
Doc Morgan from what I can recall generally uses GO-ku, not Go-KU from what I can recall.

Also, Krillin it was not a good dub decision.
I can think of a few instances where he emphasized the U
Granted I cant remember if they were in Kai or Super