"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm

I feel the changes to Magetta are similar to the changes to the Titans in Funimation's Attack on Titan dub. While all Titans do is roar, in the Japanese they sound notably human, while in the dub they sounded more primal or monstrous, I remember one of my friends likening them to Godzilla. Yes it's gibberish either way, but the context got shifted in that case due to Titan's actually being *SPOILERS*, meaning Funimation's use of bestial roars detracted from the hidden foreshadowing as to the titans identity. Magetta's changes can be considered similar, due to him actually being organic and not a robot. While on the surface nothing changes, the subtext has been changed.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Dunno if this was asked yet, but any guesses or ideas on what the dub might call the Ultra Instinct form? Since the actual Japanese name for it has way more syllables in it than the 4 in Ultra Instinct.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:45 am

Asura wrote:Dunno if this was asked yet, but any guesses or ideas on what the dub might call the Ultra Instinct form? Since the actual Japanese name for it has way more syllables in it than the 4 in Ultra Instinct.
Ultimate Intuition, maybe?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well yeah that is what I meant this was Sabat's time to really shine and he did well, Schemmel has already had plenty (and killed them) and of course he has the big one coming up in #39..!! (Super duper pumped for that!!).
Then say so, don't say that an actor has been stealing screams, when it's the writers giving the character them in the first place. Say what you mean & mean what you say, man.
Woah, bud I'm not sure what made you think Baggie_Saiyan was being serious with his first comment, but he was quite clearly kidding. There's really no reason to be mad, or kinda rude about this. If I had said "Jeez, it's about time Sabat got to scream a bit, Schemmel sure has been hogging them lately hahaha!" It doesn't mean I'm actually sitting in my room, contemplating how Sean Schemmel is purposefully rearranging the episodes or scripts, to maximize the amount of screams he gets to record. In said scenario, I'm just being facetious. You obviously misunderstood his original intent, but after the guy explained himself clearly, that's your opportunity to say "Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding man," not berate him for telling a harmless joke, that you didn't get.
Can't believe I have to bring this up here, since I thought this would've been understood, but you can't really portray jokes too well in text form, unless that's what people know to expect from you.
In any case, I wasn't made, or trying to be rude. It's another case of not being able to convey tone too well in text form. How that was meant to be said was, "Say what you mean, & mean what you say, man," as, if I was saying it, it'd be in a calmer tone than what you think I'm intending.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 am

Scsigs wrote: Can't believe I have to bring this up here, since I thought this would've been understood, but you can't really portray jokes too well in text form, unless that's what people know to expect from you.
In any case, I wasn't made, or trying to be rude. It's another case of not being able to convey tone too well in text form. How that was meant to be said was, "Say what you mean, & mean what you say, man," as, if I was saying it, it'd be in a calmer tone than what you think I'm intending.
I mean, I understand not taking jokes well in text form if it's like an inside joke or something, but it was pretty darn easy to see that Baggie_Saiyan was making a harmless joke. Chill. It ain't that serious.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Can't believe I have to bring this up here, since I thought this would've been understood, but you can't really portray jokes too well in text form, unless that's what people know to expect from you.
I mean, I understand not taking jokes well in text form if it's like an inside joke or something, but it was pretty darn easy to see that Baggie_Saiyan was making a harmless joke. Chill. It ain't that serious.
As I said before, I'm not trying to be as harsh as you're thinking I am.

Okora

Post by Okora » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am

Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Forte224 wrote:So.......what do you guys think of Magetta's changes? I think they're stupid, unnecessary, and horrible. GG Funimation. I held out judgement until his crying scene to as show they'd handle it and it was still stupid. Why Funimation? Why can't you just be consistent?
It was consistent with their take on Magetta.
Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all. By Funimation being consistent, I meant why can't they be consistent with their dubs? In Z they changed stuff unnecessarily, in Kai they were faithful, and now in Super they change stuff unnecessarily again. I know it's still better than the OG Z dub but, come on
I don't see how it wasn't consistant if I'm being honest

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm

So apparently a singer by the name of Mystery Skulls will be doing the English vocals for Forever Dreaming: https://twitter.com/MysterySkulls/statu ... 5543716864

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with his work. I look forward to it regardless, though!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm

New OP version on Toonami's showing of Vegeta vs. Cabba.

It uses the footage of the Universe 6 warriors (as seen in V3 of OP1), and has an abrupt cut from Goku powering up to the Dragon Team flying with Shenron. The ending scene is both Vegeta and Goku going Blue.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Episode 37, is airing. Hopefully Cliff can knock it out of park with this one. And I wonder what the English version of Forever Dreaming will be like?
Caulifla best girl! :)

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 pm

...Um, that was an English rendition of Forever Dreaming right?

It's just that, I couldn't hear the lyrics properly...

EDIT: Although CnR did an English rendition of Forever Dreaming too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTxT90hZKA
Last edited by mint0h on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Dubbed already?!
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm

It's weird how much Chapin sounds like a slightly higher-pitched Yuri Lowenthal.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Dubbed Ending 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIStg5Y ... e=youtu.be

The English lyrics are the same as the original band's own English version
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:46 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Dubbed Ending 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIStg5Y ... e=youtu.be

Not really a fan of that dubbed ending. Half of the time I can't even make out what the hell they are saying.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Dubbed Ending 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIStg5Y ... e=youtu.be

Not really a fan of that dubbed ending. Half of the time I can't even make out what the hell they are saying.
Lyrics:

Wow

I don't want to draw the line
I gotta see it through some way
Fight for what I know is mine
The dream I had of me that day

Wow

Don't care if they call me greedy
If they hate me, make me blue
Don't care if they laugh at me 'cos
I will make the dream come true
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:13 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

Lyrics:

Wow

I don't want to draw the line
I gotta see it through some way
Fight for what I know is mine
The dream I had of me that day

Wow

Don't care if they call me greedy
If they hate me, make me blue
Don't care if they laugh at me 'cos
I will make the dream come true
Oh, thanks. The dubbed ending still isn't that good, though. It sounds way too synthesised for my liking. Like they used talk box and auto-tune at the same time and it gave off this distorted and just... off-sounding vocals.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:02 am

Episode 37 dub was great, though the next couple of episodes are what I'm anticipating the most. I've been wanting to hear SSB Kaioken dubbed ever since I watched the episode for the first time. Sean Schemmel is going to be yelling like crazy in Episode 39.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:55 am

Chapin was excellent as Cabba, and Sabat was suitably both menacing and proud sounding. There were no surprises here, but I got exactly what I was expecting, and that is not a bad thing in the least! Onward to Vegeta getting his ass handed to him, and Kaioken Blue!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:21 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Episode 37 dub was great, though the next couple of episodes are what I'm anticipating the most. I've been wanting to hear SSB Kaioken dubbed ever since I watched the episode for the first time. Sean Schemmel is going to be yelling like crazy in Episode 39.
That's me. I wanted to hear Sean do the Kaioken the moment the original episode aired.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.