"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:19 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Simere wrote:
I thought it was just about Japan's obsession with idols.
That could be it as well. But Whis's voice actor is a singer. (Which I think is also the joke for Whis being a bad singer, but don't quote me on that.)

Though I can't seem to find the source that says that the "pop idol thing" was a reference to the voice actor. So sorry I can't give any concrete proof.
I always thought the joke was that the Oracle Fish was played by a popular idol singer, not Whis. I don't remember her name, but she was one of the two cameos they hyped up in the promotional stuff leading up to the film's release. The other cameo was a Japanese Olympian, and she played the police officer. I'm pretty sure the Japanese home release even has interviews with them and Nozawa, but I could be misremembering.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:35 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Simere wrote:
I thought it was just about Japan's obsession with idols.
That could be it as well. But Whis's voice actor is a singer. (Which I think is also the joke for Whis being a bad singer, but don't quote me on that.)

Though I can't seem to find the source that says that the "pop idol thing" was a reference to the voice actor. So sorry I can't give any concrete proof.
I always thought the joke was that the Oracle Fish was played by a popular idol singer, not Whis. I don't remember her name, but she was one of the two cameos they hyped up in the promotional stuff leading up to the film's release. The other cameo was a Japanese Olympian, and she played the police officer. I'm pretty sure the Japanese home release even has interviews with them and Nozawa, but I could be misremembering.
Oh shit, you're right. I forgot about the oracle fish. Her voice actress is also a singer. I do remember that now. It might very well have been a reference to her.

Oh well, bottom line is the Pop idol joke is a reference to one of these characters voice actor's being a pop singer.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am

Hey Scsigs, Boo Machine, what do you guys think about Caulifla possibly being voiced by Tara Strong?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Honestly, I'm glad Funimation replaced TFS' Cell Games Reenactment in Kai.
Me too. I didn't find the TFS one funny at all. It was like really and they tried way too hard to be funny just by throwing every meme they could.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm

even when its not about the dub or sub its more relevent to this thread. rather then to others so i will say it.

the ressurection F arc in super may be the worst anime arc i ever saw. like if you could rate it from 1 to 10 it would get -20. thats how bad it is. atrocious animation. anoyying repeated dialouge. atrocious fight choreogrophy. even when it looks short it drags like a motherfuckea. it just unwatchable. i seariously prefer the post BOG filler to this arc. who thought filler can be superior to non filler? then again the entire arc feel like filler that shouldent even exist rather then give goku the SSJ BLUE form and to give frieza his golden form

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Hey Scsigs, Boo Machine, what do you guys think about Caulifla possibly being voiced by Tara Strong?
I don't think it'd happen, mostly because Tara Strong's a union voice actress & she lives all the way in California & does most of her VA work for American media & doesn't do a lot of anime work, outside of the a few dubs of the Ghibli movies, but I'm not against it. If they wanna get her, great, but I'll wait for an official announcement. I love her as a voice actress, but would she do it is the question.
gohan_black wrote:even when its not about the dub or sub its more relevant to this thread. rather then to others so i will say it.
the resurrection F arc in super may be the worst anime arc i ever saw. like if you could rate it from 1 to 10 it would get -20. thats how bad it is. atrocious animation. annoying repeated dialogue. atrocious fight choreography. even when it looks short it drags like a motherfucka. it just unwatchable. i seriously prefer the post BOG filler to this arc. who thought filler can be superior to non filler? then again the entire arc feel like filler that shouldn't even exist rather then give Goku the SSJ BLUE form and to give Frieza his golden form
I don't think this IS the place to talk about it, but since the Super general discussion thread is on current stuff, I guess it may be by default.
Here's the thing, the arc's not that good, I agree, but it's far from complete shit. It's better than the movie in several ways & the animation isn't that bad, especially after they cleaned it up for the home releases. The arc should've had some serious tweaks to it when it came tot he Super version than what it already got, but it's still better than the movie 100%. I wouldn't say it was filler, but more care & development should've went to expanding it into a better story. I mean, the Namek Arc from Z was ver twice as long as this one & it was more entertaining until you actually think about things, or watch MistareFusion's analysis of the arc, because it had more development due to its length & setups. I mean, we could've seen more of Frieza's training than the flashbacks & we could've seen Goku & Vegeta actually obtain the SSBlue transformation, but that's all more of a nod to Z, or even the original DB, which had timeskips up the ass because Toriyama didn't wanna show it in the manga, which consequently is why Kai cuts out any episodes that might've had them, so it's a victim of the Franchise Original Sin trope in that regard. I'm kinda torn here, as you all can see.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Honestly, I'm glad Funimation replaced TFS' Cell Games Reenactment in Kai.
Me too. I didn't find the TFS one funny at all. It was like really and they tried way too hard to be funny just by throwing every meme they could.
I'm just tired of TFS mindset people have when something funny happens in Super dub or sub they comment "reminds me off TFS" or "this was TFS inspired" like no, TFS didn't invent comedy much less for Dragon Ball... Such an eyeroll, Chris Niosi went on a similar rant a few weeks ago which I completely agree'd with and was relieved that I'm not the only that's noticed.

No disrespect to them and it's not their fault they blew up but I genuinely think the Dragon Ball fandom would have been much better without them.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Hey Scsigs, Boo Machine, what do you guys think about Caulifla possibly being voiced by Tara Strong?
I don't think it'd happen, mostly because Tara Strong's a union voice actress & she lives all the way in California & does most of her VA work for American media & doesn't do a lot of anime work, outside of the a few dubs of the Ghibli movies, but I'm not against it. If they wanna get her, great, but I'll wait for an official announcement. I love her as a voice actress, but would she do it is the question.
I know it seems impossible but, hey, we got James Marsters as Zamasu!

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:50 pm

I don't think it would happen. I'm unsure if Tara strong does a whole lot of anime roles if any at all. It's not impossible but I just don't see it happening especially since she is a pretty popular Voice actress and is most likely busy with other things.

Even if she wasn't I don't think it would fit. I mean, I don't think that an english voice has to match the japanese voice to be good, otherwise I wouldn't like English Goku, but Caulifla is a very rough girl, and I'm not confident Tara could capture that. I think most her voices are very high pitched that might match Kale, but not so much Caulifla.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:54 pm

FUNi announced their November slate at Otakon as expected no DBS but I'm hoping Part 3 will be out in December, perfect too with Xmas and what not.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
I don't think it would happen. I'm unsure if Tara Strong does a whole lot of anime roles if any at all. It's not impossible but I just don't see it happening especially since she is a pretty popular Voice actress and is most likely busy with other things.

Even if she wasn't I don't think it would fit. I mean, I don't think that an english voice has to match the japanese voice to be good, otherwise I wouldn't like English Goku, but Caulifla is a very rough girl, and I'm not confident Tara could capture that. I think most her voices are very high pitched that might match Kale, but not so much Caulifla.
Well to be fair, Tara has played characters that tend to have rough sounding voices, most notably the voice she usually uses when she voices boys (Excluding Timmy Turner), Ben 10 being the biggest example. If she does a voice thats a little bit similar to Ben 10, but not too much, and it still sounds a little girl like, basically an intimidation of EG Daily's Buttercup, I think it could work.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
I don't think it would happen. I'm unsure if Tara strong does a whole lot of anime roles if any at all. It's not impossible but I just don't see it happening especially since she is a pretty popular Voice actress and is most likely busy with other things.

Aside from Ghibli movie dubs, she doesn't do anime.

Anyway, I think Grey DeLisle could also be very good as Caulifla.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I'm just tired of TFS mindset people have when something funny happens in Super dub or sub they comment "reminds me off TFS" or "this was TFS inspired" like no, TFS didn't invent comedy much less for Dragon Ball... Such an eyeroll, Chris Niosi went on a similar rant a few weeks ago which I completely agree'd with and was relieved that I'm not the only that's noticed.

No disrespect to them and it's not their fault they blew up but I genuinely think the Dragon Ball fandom would have been much better without them.
Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.
Which ways would you say? The only way I can see is TFS' portrayals of some of the characters getting stuck in people's minds as the canon versions, like how Goku was always a selfish asshole, an idiot, & a bad parent for example. Toriyama's words on the matter really don't help much, which no one should really take without a grain of salt anyways because of how he treated his own franchise for all those years before Battle of Gods & his forgetfulness. Also that Piccolo was a better father to Gohan than Goku just because he trained him when he was a kid, though that one's more arguable.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I know it seems impossible but, hey, we got James Marsters as Zamasu!
That's different. Marsters is a huge fan of the franchise & worked on the Evolution film. He's also the only actor from those films to get the chance to play another role in the franchise after it, not that I'm thinking people would want Justin Chatwin to have a role or anything. Sabat also wanted to invoke the casting gag trope with him. For them to even get Strong, she'd have to show interest in the show & they'd have to respond to her interest. I'd love to hear her, but I don't think it'd happen unless we were shown legit interest from both sides.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:53 pm

I think Colleen Clinkenbeard could be a decent choice for Caulifla.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.
I'm so glad I didn't cave in and start watching it. There's just something about mocking the show that I'm not cool with. Everybody keeps saying how hilarious it is, but I have no desire to see such videos.
How i predict the tournament will end:

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 pm

gohan_black wrote:even when its not about the dub or sub its more relevent to this thread. rather then to others so i will say it.

the ressurection F arc in super may be the worst anime arc i ever saw. like if you could rate it from 1 to 10 it would get -20. thats how bad it is. atrocious animation. anoyying repeated dialouge. atrocious fight choreogrophy. even when it looks short it drags like a motherfuckea. it just unwatchable. i seariously prefer the post BOG filler to this arc. who thought filler can be superior to non filler? then again the entire arc feel like filler that shouldent even exist rather then give goku the SSJ BLUE form and to give frieza his golden form
You definitely haven't watched much anime. Resurrection F arc is the worst arc in Dragon Ball anime if we don't count filler, but it's far from the worst in anime, even in the realm of Shonen anime, Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail have all had much worse arcs.
TheOne wrote:I'm so glad I didn't cave in and start watching it. There's just something about mocking the show that I'm not cool with. Everybody keeps saying how hilarious it is, but I have no desire to see such videos.
They don't mock the show, the TFS crew all love Dragon Ball as much as the people here do, some of them are even members here. The product that TFS make isn't the problem, the rabid fanbase is. TFS and their affiliates are great people with a lot of respect to Dragon Ball and their product of DBZA is a love letter to Dragon Ball while also pocking fun of it and some relevant the time internet humor thrown in. It's the same thing LittleKuriboh did to Yu-Gi-Oh!, people thought he hated the show, but he loves it. But DBZA has garnered such a fanbase, some who don't even know anything about Dragon Ball. THEY are the problem.

It's very easy for the public perception of a product to be ruined by it's fanbase. Steven Universe and Sonic are two notable examples. TFS' rabid fanbase are awful, the kind that bug them months on end "New episode wen?", they're the kind of people that just thing every Dragon Ball joke was invented by TFS. Me personally what I enjoy about DBZA is seeing how fellow Dragon Ball fans interpret and commentate on some of it's tropes and plot points. I enjoy whenever TFS sneak in fun references to obscure Dragon Ball stuff. However I'm the minority. The majority of their fanbase is people who love the repeated and worn out jokes and quote it non-stop and think TFS IS what makes Dragon Ball good. They are the problem.

Tl:Dr, the Dragon Ball fanbase is the problem not TFS or DBZA themselves.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Now just to stop talking about Tara Strong, how was the English dub of Dragon Ball Super Episode 29?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm

It was hilarious, not a whole lot to talk about in terms of plot though aside from Monaka being namedropped and Tights making an appearance
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)