"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 am

Okora wrote: I don't think it's that. Even in dragon ball the type of comedy in it and in tfs is different. Tfs uses more darker humor as well. Also for there are very few fans who act like that at all and most of the ones that do aren't huge fans of the franchise in general and watch more out of nostalgia. Also Sabat is a fan of tfs as is a lot of the dub cast. I could get the argument for the super dub since they occasionally throw in jokes that weren't in the japanese dub. Anyway I think a lot of your critisim for these fans is overracted considering these fans are so few in number. Most of the people watching the super dub have never even seen tfs
A lot of the jokes in Super are more refined jokes from the Z dub, not something from TFS.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Okora

Post by Okora » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Okora wrote: I don't think it's that. Even in dragon ball the type of comedy in it and in tfs is different. Tfs uses more darker humor as well. Also for there are very few fans who act like that at all and most of the ones that do aren't huge fans of the franchise in general and watch more out of nostalgia. Also Sabat is a fan of tfs as is a lot of the dub cast. I could get the argument for the super dub since they occasionally throw in jokes that weren't in the japanese dub. Anyway I think a lot of your critisim for these fans is overracted considering these fans are so few in number. Most of the people watching the super dub have never even seen tfs
There's a lot of people who think TFS is the true version, trust me. It's much more than just a few. Hell, go in the comment section of most of their videos and you can find a bunch.
Most don't trust me The majority of their viewers know it's a parody and like I said earlier most dub fans don't even watch them period. And most of the comment sections of their videos is nothing more than people quoting lines theey thought were funny. I don't know where you got that it's a lot but it really isn't. I just look at the one from their latest video and i still couldn't find any.

Okora

Post by Okora » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 am

HeroR wrote:
A lot of the jokes in Super are more refined jokes from the Z dub, not something from TFS.
I never said they were from Tfs I'm just saying the argument so and so was from tfs is better argued for super than with Kai. But obviously the cell games reenactment was a direct reference to tfs.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:43 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Except Caitlin is already cast as Vados and Colleen has too many roles in this series as good of an actress as she is. Luci Christian is my personal pick for Caulifla
Schemmel, Sabat, McFarland, Strait, and Kara Edwards all say hello has having multiple roles in this franchise.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:45 am

shadowmaria wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Except Caitlin is already cast as Vados and Colleen has too many roles in this series as good of an actress as she is. Luci Christian is my personal pick for Caulifla
Schemmel, Sabat, McFarland, Strait, and Kara Edwards all say hello has having multiple roles in this franchise.
And those are castings that they can't change nowadays because of major fan backlash. I doubt they're going to use Glass again for Caulifla or Colleen for the umpteenth time with how big FUNi's talent pool is nowadays
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
And those are castings that they can't change nowadays because of major fan backlash. I doubt they're going to use Glass again for Caulifla or Colleen for the umpteenth time with how big FUNi's talent pool is nowadays
Except, the only reason they used a lot of actors for multiple roles back during the Z dub days was because of their smaller budget & limited nonunion actor pool at the time in Texas. Nowadays, thanks to FUNi getting more money from merch, home media sales, etc, they're able to scout more people, especially from out of state, to cast in their dubs. They also apparently have a rule not to cast someone in a second role unless absolutely necessary, or if it's a holdover from previous dubs, such is the case for Dragon Ball for the most part. It's why One Piece has such a huge cast list. Outside of the castings in English matching the Japanese for characters, they try their damnedest to get new people for new characters. I know some people want other VAs for some of the characters voiced by someone who does multiple characters, most of which I don't see why because the VAs are just fine by my standards, but unless the cast are unable to voice act for whatever reason, like Chris Ayres with his illness, we're gonna be keeping the majority of the cast we have whether some people like it or not.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:25 am

BTW, I'm hitting the fanexpo here in Canada at the end of the month. Collien Clinkerbeard is one of the voice actors that are going to be there. They had her name with a picture of adult Mai, so I'm guessing this is confirmation she playing Mai from the Future Trunks arc?

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:30 am

MR.Mark wrote:BTW, I'm hitting the fanexpo here in Canada at the end of the month. Collien Clinkerbeard is one of the voice actors that are going to be there. They had her name with a picture of adult Mai, so I'm guessing this is confirmation she playing Mai from the Future Trunks arc?
Likely, she plays kid Mai if I'm not mistaken, and played Mai in the FUNi redubs I believe.

Might be worth probing her mind about what she can/can't say about her experience playing Mai in that arc.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Exactly. People put them on too high of a pedestal. I've said on more than one occasion that their influence has really hurt the fandom (much more then any good they did) in ways I don't think it'll ever recover from, which is really unfortunate. But I'm curious on seeing that rant. I believe that's Kirbopher right? Could you link it.
Which ways would you say? The only way I can see is TFS' portrayals of some of the characters getting stuck in people's minds as the canon versions, like how Goku was always a selfish asshole, an idiot, & a bad parent for example. Toriyama's words on the matter really don't help much, which no one should really take without a grain of salt anyways because of how he treated his own franchise for all those years before Battle of Gods & his forgetfulness. Also that Piccolo was a better father to Gohan than Goku just because he trained him when he was a kid, though that one's more arguable.
Aren't you the guy who really overreacted when Funimation removed the TFS scene? I recall you (or someone else) getting really pissed off. The constant memes, everywhere I go someone quotes TFS. The people who believe TFS is better then the show, and of course the ones who think it's canon.

"Piccolo was a better father to Gohan than Goku just because he trained him when he was a kid, though that one's more arguable."

That joke got way too out of hand. This is exactly what I mean. Sure that joke existed before TFS but no thanks to them it's gone way too far. There's absolutely no basis for Piccolo being a better father than Goku when pretty much every thing in the manga shows that Piccolo trained Gohan and never raised him at all.
Who are these mystical people who think TFS is canon? YouTube commenters, generally considered the scourge of the internet and not taken seriously by anyone? Not to mention the vast majority of TFS' running gags were running gags in the greater fandom for years or have some tiny shred of basis in canon. I've seen and have made thousands of jokes about Goku being a shitty father since I started participating in the online fandom in the mid-00s.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 am

chaosmasterxx wrote:Caulifla- Luci Christian or Cherami Leigh
Zeno- Brina Palencia
Kale- Jeannie Tirado
Zuno- Aaron Dismuke

No to more Colleen she is already going to be Mai in the Future Trunks Arc
I also thought Brina for Zen-Oh! I wouldn't really say Cherami would fit Caulifla, what about someone like Janelle Lutz?
As for Kale well how about Didi Archilla? Haven't heard much of Tirado.
Can't remember what JPN Zeno sounded like but Dismuke is also a solid casting.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
chaosmasterxx wrote:Caulifla- Luci Christian or Cherami Leigh
Zeno- Brina Palencia
Kale- Jeannie Tirado
Zuno- Aaron Dismuke

No to more Colleen she is already going to be Mai in the Future Trunks Arc
I also thought Brina for Zen-Oh! I wouldn't really say Cherami would fit Caulifla, what about someone like Janelle Lutz?
As for Kale well how about Didi Archilla? Haven't heard much of Tirado.
Can't remember what JPN Zeno sounded like but Dismuke is also a solid casting.
Isn't Tirado the voice of Pan in Super? Also, Dismuke is too old to play young boys.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:47 am

The scene where Goku forgot about King Kai had me in stitches, the way Schemmel handled that scene was brilliant. Beerus saying "just bloody go away that's my wish" absolute gold haha :lol: He owned this episode "Vegeta...fetch..." haha. Forgot the whole Monaka thing starts here also forgot about Tights! That was a nice surprise completely forgot she was gonna appear! More Jaco shenanigans coming up but first a recap episode... well at least it is out the way not happening like mid tournament.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:58 am

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Except, the only reason they used a lot of actors for multiple roles back during the Z dub days was because of their smaller budget & limited nonunion actor pool at the time in Texas. Nowadays, thanks to FUNi getting more money from merch, home media sales, etc, they're able to scout more people, especially from out of state, to cast in their dubs. They also apparently have a rule not to cast someone in a second role unless absolutely necessary, or if it's a holdover from previous dubs, such is the case for Dragon Ball for the most part. It's why One Piece has such a huge cast list. Outside of the castings in English matching the Japanese for characters, they try their damnedest to get new people for new characters. I know some people want other VAs for some of the characters voiced by someone who does multiple characters, most of which I don't see why because the VAs are just fine by my standards, but unless the cast are unable to voice act for whatever reason, like Chris Ayres with his illness, we're gonna be keeping the majority of the cast we have whether some people like it or not.
You do realize that all I was doing was explaining that there was a reason why those actors were cast in multiple roles back then and why they keep them now and why nowadays, that wouldn't happen with their current talent pool
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm

ironiclly the weekly relese of the funmination episode is more importent to me then the japanese ones. maybe because i miss how good the show was prior to the tournamnnt of power where they bore me to death

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm still yet to receive my copy of the Part 1 BD. My usual retailer has only just got their copies in stock as they were waiting for their distributor to restock, so I should get it before the end of the week (and I actually pre-ordered months ago). This leads me into my question: do you guys think Funimation could attempt a simuldub at some point?.
I say this because it is of course obvious that this is now their biggest license, and if the sales of Part 1 are anything to go by, as the series gets passed the retellings, the money it could stand to make is ridiculously high.

The stumbling block would of course be Toei. As I assume they would want TV only - the problem with that is that Toonami will never be in a position to get anywhere near Japan as it only has one slot per week.
I don't know if Sony has any plans to get it on another channel, or even create an anime channel and put it on there, air episodes daily in order to catch up fast. The intriguing thing is what the Youtubers were talking about back in early April.
It was clear that something was in the works - it seemed like the dub was going to go to Funinow, we just don't know when, or how. The only way I could see Toei letting it go on there would be if it was Simuldubbed, as otherwise, they may as well wait for TV, like all the other regions.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a simuldub at some point in time, given how much money they stand to make on subscriptions alone - when My Hero Academia finishes (mid-October), Super's lead writer John Burgmeier will be freed up (unless he's working on multiple shows already) to solely write more episodes.
The Autumn season starts in October, so it will be interesting to see what Funimation announce when their current big simuldub finishes.

I know it would be difficult to sustain, but surely, it is worth a try.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:I'm still yet to receive my copy of the Part 1 BD. My usual retailer has only just got their copies in stock as they were waiting for their distributor to restock, so I should get it before the end of the week (and I actually pre-ordered months ago). This leads me into my question: do you guys think Funimation could attempt a simuldub at some point?.
I say this because it is of course obvious that this is now their biggest license, and if the sales of Part 1 are anything to go by, as the series gets passed the retellings, the money it could stand to make is ridiculously high.

The stumbling block would of course be Toei. As I assume they would want TV only - the problem with that is that Toonami will never be in a position to get anywhere near Japan as it only has one slot per week.
I don't know if Sony has any plans to get it on another channel, or even create an anime channel and put it on there, air episodes daily in order to catch up fast. The intriguing thing is what the Youtubers were talking about back in early April.
It was clear that something was in the works - it seemed like the dub was going to go to Funinow, we just don't know when, or how. The only way I could see Toei letting it go on there would be if it was Simuldubbed, as otherwise, they may as well wait for TV, like all the other regions.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a simuldub at some point in time, given how much money they stand to make on subscriptions alone - when My Hero Academia finishes (mid-October), Super's lead writer John Burgmeier will be freed up (unless he's working on multiple shows already) to solely write more episodes.
The Autumn season starts in October, so it will be interesting to see what Funimation announce when their current big simuldub finishes.

I know it would be difficult to sustain, but surely, it is worth a try.
Toei, Toei, Toei, Toei and Toei!! Toei have a phobia of streams. The fact that Kai still isn't even being streamed, the fact it took well over the year to get an actual subbed simulcast, we are stuck with AS/Toonami for the foreseeable future and just gotta hope the BDs eventually takeover like Buu Kai...!

I don't know why they can't air 2 episodes a week, 8 and 8.30 then repeat 11 and 11.30 for Toonami, seems perfect.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Toei, Toei, Toei, Toei and Toei!! Toei have a phobia of streams. The fact that Kai still isn't even being streamed, the fact it took well over the year to get an actual subbed simulcast, we are stuck with AS/Toonami for the foreseeable future and just gotta hope the BDs eventually takeover like Buu Kai...!

I don't know why they can't air 2 episodes a week, 8 and 8.30 then repeat 11 and 11.30 for Toonami, seems perfect.
They will most likely do what HxH, Kill La Kill, and Swords Arts Online Part II did. They will air the entire season on TV and then released the DVDs afterwards. On other words, Toonami is the 'dub premier'. Toonami is also a limited block and they're not going to used one of their precious slots to air Super twice.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:46 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Toei, Toei, Toei, Toei and Toei!! Toei have a phobia of streams. The fact that Kai still isn't even being streamed, the fact it took well over the year to get an actual subbed simulcast, we are stuck with AS/Toonami for the foreseeable future and just gotta hope the BDs eventually takeover like Buu Kai...!

They will most likely do what HxH, Kill La Kill, and Swords Arts Online Part II did. They will air the entire season on TV and then released the DVDs afterwards. On other words, Toonami is the 'dub premier'. Toonami is also a limited block and they're not going to used one of their precious slots to air Super twice.
But aren't the last three shows on the block re-airings, Ghost, Jack and AoT? Sacrifice one of those you can easily make room for an hour of Super.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But aren't the last three shows on the block re-airings, Ghost, Jack and AoT? Sacrifice one of those you can easily make room for an hour of Super.
Yeah, but those are old reruns and Toonami some times cut those later slots. Also, it wouldn't be a good idea to put an hour of Super at 1am.

Also, fans of Toonami are already weary about the hour of Dragon Ball between Super and Kai. They don't want Toonami to become the Dragon Ball block like it was back during Toonami's peak.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But aren't the last three shows on the block re-airings, Ghost, Jack and AoT? Sacrifice one of those you can easily make room for an hour of Super.
Yeah, but those are old reruns and Toonami some times cut those later slots. Also, it wouldn't be a good idea to put an hour of Super at 1am.

Also, fans of Toonami are already weary about the hour of Dragon Ball between Super and Kai. They don't want Toonami to become the Dragon Ball block like it was back during Toonami's peak.
I meant sacrifice one of those and have Super air for an hour at 11 then push everything after back that way.

Huh people are being weary? But it is Dragon Ball... how dare they feel that way. :P Perhaps when Kai ends that is what they could do then?