"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:53 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
once again. its an OPINION
Once again, it doesn't make sense to me, so I don't get it.
i dont know how to explain to you in words why his voice sound childlish but it does. now. damian mills voice however. yeah i can see it working. but greg ayers voice sound like a kid
I can see that for his Guldo voice maybe, but not Frost. I don't know...
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm

You know what I find very funny? We had a Frost focused episode this week in Japan, and Toonami is airing the Frost debut episode.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Jesus, for the episode title I'm seeing, it, literally, says, "Surprise Universe 6! This is Super Salivan Son Goku," as opposed to the translated title.
Also, the ref is a Majin. What's up with that?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:58 am

WTF!? That's hilarious.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 am

WTF!? That's hilarious.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 am

It was kind of odd to me. Frost's first form voice seemed more high pitch than his Final. I wasn't too big a fan of form 3 but his final form sounds somewhat similar but appropriately different than Chris's Freeza. I expect it to be better next week though too because we will see him darken his tone a bit more from the reveal of Frost's true intentions...

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:07 am

Vegeta: "Goku's a fool but I bet even he can tell this is a lie"
Whoa whoa whoa... Vegeta just called him 'Goku' instead of 'Kakarot'. I hope someone notified Chris Sabat about that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:59 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Vegeta: "Goku's a fool but I bet even he can tell this is a lie"
Whoa whoa whoa... Vegeta just called him 'Goku' instead of 'Kakarot'. I hope someone notified Chris Sabat about that.
I thought that was Piccolo.
He was the one that said that, then Vegeta was like, "Yeah, right, final form my ass!"

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:03 am

Scsigs wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Vegeta: "Goku's a fool but I bet even he can tell this is a lie"
He was the one that said that, then Vegeta was like, "Yeah, right, final form my ass!"
I just watched it again to make sure and it was definitely Vegeta that said it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I just watched it again to make sure and it was definitely Vegeta that said it.
Found a clip. Yep, you're right.
https://youtu.be/K6V2c6hREfk?t=2m54s

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:48 am

I like Greg as Frost, gives him a lot more of his own identity from Freeza.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 am

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Once again, it doesn't make sense to me, so I don't get it.
i dont know how to explain to you in words why his voice sound childlish but it does. now. damian mills voice however. yeah i can see it working. but greg ayers voice sound like a kid
I can see that for his Guldo voice maybe, but not Frost. I don't know...
In all fairness Greg Ayres has been know to voice very childish characters and young characters.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 am

I liked that Funi removed the atatatatatatas and replace them with grunts. Excellent decision right there. Somehow they made the Goku vs Botamo fight slightly better than the original version..

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 am

frost voice was worse then i expected. he sounded so childlish. like a kid. which hes not. damian mills would be a better choice then greg ayers

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Ugh, it was so hard watching this episode because of the art and animation. On the positive side of things, at least this was probably our second to last "terrible" looking episode of Super from now on. Later episodes still have some bad art and animation, but other than episode 45, the rest of the series is pretty "watchable" for the most part. At least episodes 77 have little to no animation issues as the episodes early on in the series do.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

perucho1990 wrote:I liked that Funi removed the atatatatatatas and replace them with grunts. Excellent decision right there. Somehow they made the Goku vs Botamo fight slightly better than the original version..
I agree. The atatatatata got really old really fast.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm

gohan_black wrote:frost voice was worse then i expected. he sounded so childlish. like a kid. which hes not. damian mills would be a better choice then greg ayers
You mustn't spend much time with many kids to say something like that. Besides what is Frost MEANT to sound like? Anime dubbing 101 is don't try to copy the Japanese voice in terms of type of voice, make your own voice and if it happens to match the Japanese then great, but it's no priority #1. Dragon Ball is quite a big example of this, just look at Nozawa vs Schemmel. Frost can sound however the dub wants him to sound. You can point out flaws in acting, you can say you didn't personally like his voice, but saying it was bad and didn't fit Frost and stating it like it's fact doesn't leave yourself open to discussion and I'm pretty sure this is a discussion thread.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:24 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
gohan_black wrote:frost voice was worse then i expected. he sounded so childlish. like a kid. which hes not. damian mills would be a better choice then greg ayers
You mustn't spend much time with many kids to say something like that. Besides what is Frost MEANT to sound like? Anime dubbing 101 is don't try to copy the Japanese voice in terms of type of voice, make your own voice and if it happens to match the Japanese then great, but it's no priority #1. Dragon Ball is quite a big example of this, just look at Nozawa vs Schemmel. Frost can sound however the dub wants him to sound. You can point out flaws in acting, you can say you didn't personally like his voice, but saying it was bad and didn't fit Frost and stating it like it's fact doesn't leave yourself open to discussion and I'm pretty sure this is a discussion thread.
THANK YOU! This is what I've been saying. If you actually know what a child sounds like, this criticism makes no sense. At most, I would give him teenage years, but that's still far from "child."

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 am

I actually really liked Ayers performance as Frost here, it's cool they got his brother, sounds similar but not the same.

Anyone catch what the dub changed Frost third form name to? Was it Charging Form? A pretty unnecessary change from Assault Form wonder why they did that.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 am

nato25 wrote:I actually really liked Ayers performance as Frost here, it's cool they got his brother, sounds similar but not the same.

Anyone catch what the dub changed Frost third form name to? Was it Charging Form? A pretty unnecessary change from Assault Form wonder why they did that.
I heard Charging Form and it threw me, that's for sure. Silly change