"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Toei is the company that forced 4Kids to take One Piece when 4Kids just wanted another show they had, despite Funimation and Viz both bidding for it. Nothing they do will ever be as stupid as that, it's just a shame to see they haven't learnt anything.
Being honest though, 4Kids could have turned down the package deal
They tried and Toei said they couldn't. I can't remember what anime, but 4Kids wanted some anime from them, and Toei said "We won't sell you this unless you buy One Piece too". 4Kids never wanted One Piece from the very beginning and were forced to take it just to get that other anime.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Toei is the company that forced 4Kids to take One Piece when 4Kids just wanted another show they had, despite Funimation and Viz both bidding for it. Nothing they do will ever be as stupid as that, it's just a shame to see they haven't learnt anything.
Being honest though, 4Kids could have turned down the package deal
They tried and Toei said they couldn't. I can't remember what anime, but 4Kids wanted some anime from them, and Toei said "We won't sell you this unless you buy One Piece too". 4Kids never wanted One Piece from the very beginning and were forced to take it just to get that other anime.
I think it was Magical Doremi
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:19 am

I dont want to blame such a cute show for One Piece's potential being wasted by 4Kids. I know I might sound like in butthurt denial but 4kids DID want One Piece. I dont believe NO ONE would buy a show that had 2 companies drooling for it and that one even made a freaking pilot for it for Cartoon Network. Funimation and Viz REALLY wanted it. 4kids was lying to cover their asses.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont want to blame such a cute show for One Piece's potential being wasted by 4Kids. I know I might sound like in butthurt denial but 4kids DID want One Piece. I dont believe NO ONE would buy a show that had 2 companies drooling for it and that one even made a freaking pilot for it for Cartoon Network. Funimation and Viz REALLY wanted it. 4kids was lying to cover their asses.
Well, Viz made pilots too and they weren't made for Cartoon Network, they were made for Toei
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 am

For One Piece?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:For One Piece?
Yeah but I don't want to continue to get off topic

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm interested, but you are right, PM me.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I don't want to blame such a cute show for One Piece's potential being wasted by 4Kids. I know I might sound like in butthurt denial but 4kids DID want One Piece. I don't believe NO ONE would buy a show that had 2 companies drooling for it and that one even made a freaking pilot for it for Cartoon Network. Funimation and Viz REALLY wanted it. 4kids was lying to cover their asses.
Well, maybe not wanting it from the beginning is where the thing gets unbelievable, but what I've heard is that it was due to the amount of violence they had to censor to get it edited down to a TV-Y7 rating like their other shows. Pokemon usually had the violence between the animals & Yugioh's violence was mainly between the card game characters. Toning down dialogue is one thing when dubbing something, but visually editing something takes a lot more work. I don't know who they got to do the edits, but they had to do A LOT to get it to conform to standards the show was never meant to air with. What I think happened with One Piece when 4Kids got it was that they dubbed the first 3 episodes, since those have the preliminary things before the series starts getting into arcs, but then when they started getting more episodes from Toei, they quickly realized they had a show that was WAY too violent for them to dub, so they just said "screw it" & just dicked around with it for 2-3 years before they could legally drop it. I don't know why they just couldn't sell the license to FUNimation if they didn't want it, but whatever.
Even Kai was a bit much for them. On top of some dialogue edits, they had to do some truly stupid shit to get it passed censors; changing the halos to glowing orbs, changing "spirit bomb" to "spirit blast" with either soundalikes or rerecordings from Texas, recoloring Popo blue, etc. If you want anyone to blame for One Piece's wings being removed before it could be given a chance to successfully fly overseas, blame Toei. THEY were the ones who were so readily wanting OP to get overseas & gain popularity that they acted without thinking & gave the show to the wrong company in the first place. Honestly, it still utterly baffles me that they legitimately thought 4Kids could do a good job with the show over FUNi. Then again, they wanted Luffy to still be voiced by a woman in English &, originally, their test episodes had Eric Vale in the role, so who knows. With the success of DB at that point, it should've been a no-brainer to let FUNi dub the show, considering they were starting to hit their stride with the Yu Yu Hakusho & Fullmetal Alchemist dubs being great overall.
(Sigh)
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:38 pm

I think a TV Y7 Network dub of One Piece was possible. Sure it would be filled with all sorts of dumb edits but I would still bet a million bucks that it could be done. The terrible acting by 4kids wasnt any censor thing, The Music thing definitely wasnt a censor thing. I know it would look really dumb but I think even "Toonzai" levels of editing beat the shit out of both the version 4kids made of One Piece and of not having One Piece on TV at all.

Hell, I STILL run 2 facebook groups all about that!

https://www.facebook.com/FuniPiece/

https://www.facebook.com/KidsClickAnime/

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think a TV Y7 Network dub of One Piece was possible. Sure it would be filled with all sorts of dumb edits but I would still bet a million bucks that it could be done. The terrible acting by 4kids wasn't any censor thing, The Music thing definitely wasn't a censor thing. I know it would look really dumb but I think even "Toonzai" levels of editing beat the shit out of both the version 4kids made of One Piece and of not having One Piece on TV at all.

Except, they DID do a TV-Y7 version & it was terrible. One Piece is meant for an older audience overseas anyways. With al of the shit Oda puts into it, there's really no way you could let any kid below the age of, like, 10-12 start watching the show.
The terrible acting is just par for the course with 4Kids' dubs & the music was replaced so they could save money on licensing costs. I think they even got into trouble when they attempted to give Yugioh an uncut dub for not paying licensing fees for the music. Though it might also have to do with using Yugi's Japanese voice actor's dialogue because of some agency bullshit in Japan, I don't know. Things really shouldn't have to be changed to be able to be released when it comes to these things, as long as it can find an audience & One Piece certainly DOES have an audience.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think a TV Y7 Network dub of One Piece was possible. Sure it would be filled with all sorts of dumb edits but I would still bet a million bucks that it could be done. The terrible acting by 4kids wasn't any censor thing, The Music thing definitely wasn't a censor thing. I know it would look really dumb but I think even "Toonzai" levels of editing beat the shit out of both the version 4kids made of One Piece and of not having One Piece on TV at all.

Except, they DID do a TV-Y7 version & it was terrible. One Piece is meant for an older audience overseas anyways. With al of the shit Oda puts into it, there's really no way you could let any kid below the age of, like, 10-12 start watching the show.
The terrible acting is just par for the course with 4Kids' dubs & the music was replaced so they could save money on licensing costs. I think they even got into trouble when they attempted to give Yugioh an uncut dub for not paying licensing fees for the music. Though it might also have to do with using Yugi's Japanese voice actor's dialogue because of some agency bullshit in Japan, I don't know. Things really shouldn't have to be changed to be able to be released when it comes to these things, as long as it can find an audience & One Piece certainly DOES have an audience.
To be fair, it was the voice direction that made those voice actors suck. Despite 4Kids being a bad dubbing company, the voice actors that worked for the company like Veronica Taylor, Marc Diraison, Mike Pollock, J. David Brimmer and many others are definitely talented.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:To be fair, it was the voice direction that made those voice actors suck. Despite 4Kids being a bad dubbing company, the voice actors that worked for the company like Veronica Taylor, Marc Diraison, Mike Pollock, J. David Brimmer and many others are definitely talented.
Yeah, but most of their main actors were the only good actors they had. Many of the secondary & tertiary ones were so bad, it wasn't even funny.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:To be fair, it was the voice direction that made those voice actors suck. Despite 4Kids being a bad dubbing company, the voice actors that worked for the company like Veronica Taylor, Marc Diraison, Mike Pollock, J. David Brimmer and many others are definitely talented.
Yeah, but most of their main actors were the only good actors they had. Many of the secondary & tertiary ones were so bad, it wasn't even funny.
I think Brimmer's Crocodile was good, despite the bad direction and scripts. If he had better direction and scripts, then I think I would have preferred him to Swasey.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Well, Funimation's September solicitations are out and still no Part 2. I guess we'll be getting a tri-monthly release schedule for Super.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:Well, Funimation's September solicitations are out and still no Part 2. I guess we'll be getting a tri-monthly release schedule for Super.
That cover of One Piece Collection 20 with Ace looking badass is pretty sweet though!

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrLJH4LhV8
Around the 12 minute mark, Sean talks about them being on a hiatus with Super but that they were going to start recording again soon. This was back in May though so it's possible that it won't cause a break in the airing schedule due to the U6 arc starting in August. Isn't there speculation that they've recorded up to the end of the Black arc?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 pm

"No extra charge for the ice" made me laugh aloud
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:47 pm

The Dragon Ball Super Anime Expo panel will be streamed on Twitch and considering that the scavenger hunt happening there is based off the Black arc and everything else that has been hinted at over the past few months, I think the Black arc at the very least will have it's dub out soon

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:03 pm

Scsigs wrote:

That's why it got kicked off Toonami when they aimed it at adults and older kids. Twice. Look, you just said it yourself "The terrible acting is just par for the course with 4Kids' dubs & the music was replaced so they could save money on licensing costs." If Funimation had tried to get One Piece into Toonzai or some other block, I think the editing would have been extremely worth it. ESPECIALLY if it then introduced children into watching Uncut One Piece.

I'm not saying "Y7 TV ONE PIECE WOULD BE AWESOME",I'm extremely against censorship, but I'm ALWAYS pro exposure.I'm saying is "An horribly edited Funimation One Piece with all of their good acting and music on kids tv would have been AWESOME" especially since One Piece already has Uncut DVD's. As does Dragon Ball.

I think this is really important because the One Piece fandom is old. Like REALLY old. It desperately needs new blood and by "New Blood" I especifically mean children. The old guard is nice and all but they have literally no one to replace it when they either die or stop following the show. Dragon Ball has never had this problem because Funimation does make some edited broadcast or another to keep the Dragon Ball fresh to kids audiences.

And I know One Piece has some extremely "Nono" stuff for american kids, even if its okay for Japanese Kids. But that could be either worked around or somesuch. Toonzai, for all that is mocked, allowed some pretty nasty stuff slide and ThisTV could allow even more. Kids can handle more than people give them credit. So that's my Two Cents.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:30 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That's why it got kicked off Toonami when they aimed it at adults and older kids. Twice. Look, you just said it yourself "The terrible acting is just par for the course with 4Kids' dubs & the music was replaced so they could save money on licensing costs." If Funimation had tried to get One Piece into Toonzai or some other block, I think the editing would have been extremely worth it. ESPECIALLY if it then introduced children into watching Uncut One Piece.
I'm not saying "Y7 TV ONE PIECE WOULD BE AWESOME",I'm extremely against censorship, but I'm ALWAYS pro exposure.I'm saying is "An horribly edited Funimation One Piece with all of their good acting and music on kids tv would have been AWESOME" especially since One Piece already has Uncut DVD's. As does Dragon Ball.
I think this is really important because the One Piece fandom is old. Like REALLY old. It desperately needs new blood and by "New Blood" I specifically mean children. The old guard is nice and all but they have literally no one to replace it when they either die or stop following the show. Dragon Ball has never had this problem because Funimation does make some edited broadcast or another to keep the Dragon Ball fresh to kids audiences.
And I know One Piece has some extremely "Nono" stuff for American kids, even if its okay for Japanese Kids. But that could be either worked around or some such. Toonzai, for all that is mocked, allowed some pretty nasty stuff slide and ThisTV could allow even more. Kids can handle more than people give them credit. So that's my Two Cents.
If it was given a minimal editing treatment in both dialogue & visuals to tone it down a bit, I could see the show airing on an American kid's network. However, not to TV-Y7. That's a bit much. I'd say TV-PG & air it in the evenings to give it a better chance at retaining a lot of what makes it work, plus hit multiple demographics at once with a decent timeslot. That's assuming Cartoon Network even WANTS an anime show running n their network, especially since they let Disney XD take the broadcast rights to Pokemon, they absolutely HATE all overtly-serious programing for some reason nowadays, & putting One Piece on the network would conflict with their precious Teen Titans Go! undeserved marathons & repeats.
God, I hate the state of Cartoon Network nowadays.