"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:36 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Would Little Kuriboh be able to do it? Is he still in the UK?
I know Schemmel moved away from Texas, but I don't know if he records remotely or if they fly him back to voice Gokû and Kaio.
I heard that he moved from the UK a while ago on Twitter.
Sean records in LA, and Chris flys in to direct him there.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
I know Schemmel moved away from Texas, but I don't know if he records remotely or if they fly him back to voice Gokû and Kaio.
I heard that he moved from the UK a while ago on Twitter.
But for a few months now, they've been using a thing called Sourceconnect which lets them record him over the Internet rather than having Chris fly down there so that's how they record him now since flying down to LA was probably getting to be pretty expensive
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Oh yikes, I was just about to comment how amazing his performance was in the latest episode this makes me appreciate it so much more and am now very looking forward to the rest of the arc.

Hope he pulls through. Good luck and best wishes Chris.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:09 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
simtek34 wrote: I heard that he moved from the UK a while ago on Twitter.
But for a few months now, they've been using a thing called Sourceconnect which lets them record him over the Internet rather than having Chris fly down there so that's how they record him now since flying down to LA was probably getting to be pretty expensive
I didn't know that, that's much better, especially from a convenience and cost perspective.

My thoughts and prayers are with Chris right now, I hope he pulls through, best of luck to you, Chris.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

I can't believe that Chris was this ill. Godspeed, Chris. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. :(

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 pm

Poor guy. Hope he fights through all of it and makes a speedy recovery. He's without a doubt one of my favourite voice actors in all of Dragon Ball and just such a cool dude. Wish him all the best.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Is sad to hear that news,I'm hoping Chris ayres recovers, he's one of my favorite va in Funimation
Mostly active on discord.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:48 pm

He lives in California with his American wife. He has for the last several years or so. Besides, I think they could manage it over phone calls in recording studios anyways. David Tennant did it when he recorded his parts for Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Besides, they got MasakoX for the audio that ended up being deleted, so I don't think it'd be much of a hastle.
Also, someone on the Super dub thread said that they record Sean's dialogue over the phone, I believe, or Sabat flies out there & they book time in a recording studio for him, so no worries there.

Anyways, yeah, hope you get better, Chris.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:07 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Some pretty serious news about Chris Ayres: https://facebook.com/christopher.ayres. ... 2499650370
This is awful and I hope that can brave through it and get well soon. Apparently a back up Frieza has been found just in case but considering that the F arc has been dubbed since March and the Universe Survival arc won't be dubbed for a while, they may not be used unless there's a simuldub
My God...I hope he recovers.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm

So sad, I hope he recovers. If a backup has to be used I hope it's his brother Greg. I know many DBZ fans who have heard this news hopes that the backup is the return of Linda Young.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Horrible news about Chris Ayres, I hope he gets through it all. Definitely a big surprise to hear about all he's been going through.

But anyhow, despite this being sort of a meme video, I wish that the dub voice actor for Zamasu sounded like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEuyf52a4uw

Really hoping Funi recasts the guy from XV2, he was just awful.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Get well soon, Chris. :(
Caulifla best girl! :)

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Fuck, that's terrible! I sincerely hope he recovers, with no complications. Watching the new episodes of Super has made me extremely excited about hearing Ayres take on the new stuff. I hate to trivialize his illness by being disappointed in him possibly not returning for Super, but I adore his Freeza, and I think it'd be a shame to lose his talent.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 pm

So XV2 DLC, FUNi gave Merged Zamasu that reverb effect thingy similar to the Japanese. Wonder if they'll keep it for Super Ryhmestyle said he is not a fan of the whole reverb thing, guess I need to wait for more clear sound to make a judgement.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So XV2 DLC, FUNi gave Merged Zamasu that reverb effect thingy similar to the Japanese. Wonder if they'll keep it for Super. Ryhmestyle said he is not a fan of the whole reverb thing, guess I need to wait for more clear sound to make a judgement.
I can't see them NOT doing it. It makes too much sense.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:Fuck, that's terrible! I sincerely hope he recovers, with no complications. Watching the new episodes of Super has made me extremely excited about hearing Ayres take on the new stuff. I hate to trivialize his illness by being disappointed in him possibly not returning for Super, but I adore his Freeza, and I think it'd be a shame to lose his talent.
Not quite, they could bring back Linda Young to play the role in his place when he's absent :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Noah wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote:Fuck, that's terrible! I sincerely hope he recovers, with no complications. Watching the new episodes of Super has made me extremely excited about hearing Ayres take on the new stuff. I hate to trivialize his illness by being disappointed in him possibly not returning for Super, but I adore his Freeza, and I think it'd be a shame to lose his talent.
Not quite, they could bring back Linda Young to play the role in his place when he's absent :)
It'll probably be Greg Ayers that takes the roll. His Frost voice sounds similar enough that if he made it somewhat lower/deeper, they would be almost exact.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Noah wrote:
If you like Linda Young's Freeza, that's cool, but that would be the exact opposite of what I personally would want.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Noah wrote:
It's not gonna be, though. The voices are so different & they're, overall, trying to be more faithful to the Japanese in terms of casting, that they're most likely getting someone who can sound similar to Ayres, or can do the voice & accent 100%. If it IS his brother, great, since it matches the casting in the original Japanese of Frieza & Frost, plus Greg was casted as Frost partly because he can do a slightly different version of Chris' Frieza voice. Plus, the Linda Young VS Chris Ayres Frieza voice is such a big point of contention (personally, I feel that, in my opinion, Young doesn't even remotely hold a candle to Ayres' voice) that I don't think Sabat would wanna rock the boat between the nostalgia brats & Chris Ayres fans anymore than what's already come about, so they're most likely getting someone who can do a Chris Ayres soundalike voice, which shouldn't be too hard, depending on the voice actor. Plus, they don't wanna confuse younger fans who'd never heard of Young voicing Frieza originally.
I'm hoping that Chris will recover in time for when they start recording those episodes, though. We have, what, about a year or so before they absolutely NEED to record those episodes for the broadcast, right? Given that they have around 70-80 some odd episodes before they get to the Universe Survival arc's airing (plus Adult Swim & Toonami's semi-random marathons of other shows), it should be a sinch to have Ayres record his parts last, since that seems to be how they're handing the dubs; actor availability. Plus, whoever they get could just be counted as a placeholder until Ayres could dub over that person's recordings before they'd air, or get released on home media.