"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Edit- Art work

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Didn't like much the artwork, but as you said better than some Yamamuro stuff lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 am

jeffbr92 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Didn't like much the artwork, but as you said better than some Yamamuro stuff lol
Yeah I'd take anything over those covers but Yamamuro's singles cover are actually pretty decent so here's hoping FUNi use them as reversible covers, or they could have this artist do Beerus as the reverse which I wouldn't mind as you have Goku on the slip and then Beerus on the case would look cool.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm

My only gripe with this cover is the generic font on the spine when the show's logo is already there.

Cutting off one episode short before the end of the first arc also bugs me but I guess that can't be helped.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Lance Freeman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Super Part one BD July 25th eps 1-13.
xXInfinite026Xx wrote: ...Funi has an obligation to get Kai over with before they make room for their new Super home releases. It wouldn't surprise me if Vol. 1 of Super were to be released July 2017, but we surely won't be getting those releases as quickly as a month in between.
I just want to say, I called it :p

At least the artwork is more interesting than the typical "Yamamoto-pose" Kamehameha.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Here is how I see them releasing the next couple of sets:

August- Part 2 Freeza arc 14-26
September- Part 3 U6 arc 27-39
October- Part 4 SoL eps and start of Black arc- 40-53
January- Part 5 Black arc- 54-66
April- Part 6 Black arc and SoL- 67-79
July- U.S arc- 80-92
October- U.S arc 93- 105
Rest in that same monthly increment.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Here is how I see them releasing the next couple of sets:

July- U.S arc- 80-92
October- U.S arc 93- 105
I agree with the Episode listings, but not the release dates. Do you really think Dragon Ball Super will have a monthly release (For the Early Stuff)?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:11 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Here is how I see them releasing the next couple of sets:

July- U.S arc- 80-92
October- U.S arc 93- 105
I agree with the Episode listings, but not the release dates. Do you really think Dragon Ball Super will have a monthly release (For the Early Stuff)?
Hmm okay maybe not 4 straight months then but I do think at the least we will get the Freeza arc in August and if they do the U6 arc in September then they would be caught up and they can do the normal 3 or so month increment after that. When FUNi got Fairy Tail they released the first 36 eps (12eps a set) 3 months in a row and then slowed down, so that's why I can see something similar happening here.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm liking that cover, way better than the Boring and repetitive yamamouro artwork, but still I'm not buying it,I already watched in toonami so I already support the official released 8) ,I'm saving my money on dbs vol 1 and 2 and possibly ignoring vol 3
Mostly active on discord.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 pm

The gr wrote:I'm liking that cover, way better than the boring and repetitive Yamamouro artwork, but still I'm not buying it. I already watched it on Toonami so I already support the official released 8) , I'm saving my money on dbs vol 1 and 2 and possibly ignoring vol 3
Which is why I'm waiting for the season sets. :thumbup:
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Scsigs wrote:
The gr wrote:I'm liking that cover, way better than the boring and repetitive Yamamouro artwork, but still I'm not buying it. I already watched it on Toonami so I already support the official released 8) , I'm saving my money on dbs vol 1 and 2 and possibly ignoring vol 3
Which is why I'm waiting for the season sets. :thumbup:
Good call,I'm not gonna waste my Time with only 13 episode,I much rather have the full thing​,I wonder how long is going to take for a season set to Be fully released
Mostly active on discord.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:15 pm

So, um, if anyone can answer me a quick question about the Xenoverse 2 Pack 3 Twitch stream, https://youtu.be/6ms8LlcpB4E?t=39m20s, can anyone identify who's voicing Zamasu & did they have Sean do some different takes for Goku Black?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Scsigs wrote:So, um, if anyone can answer me a quick question about the Xenoverse 2 Pack 3 Twitch stream, https://youtu.be/6ms8LlcpB4E?t=39m20s, can anyone identify who's voicing Zamasu & did they have Sean do some different takes for Goku Black?
I haven't heard any good examples of Zamasu, though I haven't heard anything good so far. Schemmel took a vastly different approach this time, going for a more posh dialect. It's still not very good on its own yet, but I think it'll serve as a decent base for whatever Sabat and Schemmel decide on for the anime arc
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:So, um, if anyone can answer me a quick question about the Xenoverse 2 Pack 3 Twitch stream, https://youtu.be/6ms8LlcpB4E?t=39m20s, can anyone identify who's voicing Zamasu & did they have Sean do some different takes for Goku Black?
I haven't heard any good examples of Zamasu, though I haven't heard anything good so far. Schemmel took a vastly different approach this time, going for a more posh dialect. It's still not very good on its own yet, but I think it'll serve as a decent base for whatever Sabat and Schemmel decide on for the anime arc
Yeah, it's British for some reason. Yet Zamasu's isn't. That's the approach I didn't want them to take. It's supposed to be Goku's normal voice, just lowered in pitch, not a different accent altogether. Though since Zamasu's voice has an American accent, I can't get as mad at it as I would, but it still irks me.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Scsigs wrote:It's supposed to be Goku's normal voice, just lowered in pitch, not a different accent altogether.
Obviously, that won't work for the majority of dubs. A deeper version of Schemmel's Goku is not representative of Goku Black no matter how you slice it. It has to have an aristocratic poshness to it, which is best accomplished by tying to emulate a noble British accent. This is the correct approach for Zamasu as a whole, I think, not just Goku Black, though it still needs quite a bit of refinement either way if it's going to pass in the anime.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Zamasu sounds like Matthew Mercer to me
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Scsigs wrote:It's supposed to be Goku's normal voice, just lowered in pitch, not a different accent altogether.
Obviously, that won't work for the majority of dubs. A deeper version of Schemmel's Goku is not representative of Goku no matter how you slice it. It has to have an aristocratic poshness to it, which is best accomplished by tying to emulate a noble British accent. This is the correct approach for Zamasu as a whole, I think, not just Goku Black, though it still needs quite a bit of refinement either way if it's going to pass in the anime.
Thing is, where I'm coming at it is that the whole Future Trunks arc runs on a mystery on who Goku Black is and, while people can easily look up who it is, the dub should try to keep in line with that, at least until it's revealed in-show for those who don't know. A British accent would give it away too quickly if they were to give one to Zamasu as well, which I'm still afraid that they're going to give one to Zamasu when they dub that arc. If they give one to them both, it would totally ruin the surprise. My fear is that it'll kinda ruin the story if they keep it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Zamasu sounds like Matthew Mercer to me
I just wish they had the game audio louder so we could actually HEAR the damn thing.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Scsigs wrote:Thing is, where I'm coming at it is that the whole Future Trunks arc runs on a mystery on who Goku Black is and, while people can easily look up who it is, the dub should try to keep in line with that, at least until it's revealed in-show for those who don't know. A British accent would give it away too quickly if they were to give one to Zamasu as well, which I'm still afraid that they're going to give one to Zamasu when they dub that arc. If they give one to them both, it would totally ruin the surprise. My fear is that it'll kinda ruin the story if they keep it.
It'll still work for those who haven't seen it if they were both given the accent. Think about it, the entire arc leading up to episode 56 was already leading us to believe that Black was Zamasu, only to shatter expectations when it's revealed that Zamasu is actually his partner. This would have the same effect as using the time rings to go to Future Barbari and having Zamasu wear his Potara identically to Black in Episode 53, it's just one more indicator that will leave the audience dumbfounded once they get to the end of Episode 56.

I get where you're coming from, Nozawa's performance was integral to the anime's telling of that arc, but there's only one Nozawa. No dub is going to be able to replicate the original take perfectly, but they can get close enough, and I'm confident that giving Zamasu posh speak will do just fine to that end
Retired.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It'll still work for those who haven't seen it if they were both given the accent. Think about it, the entire arc leading up to episode 56 was already leading us to believe that Black was Zamasu, only to shatter expectations when it's revealed that Zamasu is actually his partner. This would have the same effect as using the time rings to go to Future Barbari and having Zamasu wear his Potara identically to Black in Episode 53, it's just one more indicator that will leave the audience dumbfounded once they get to the end of Episode 56.

I get where you're coming from, Nozawa's performance was integral to the anime's telling of that arc, but there's only one Nozawa. No dub is going to be able to replicate the original take perfectly, but they can get close enough, and I'm confident that giving Zamasu posh speak will do just fine to that end
Dude, don't come at ME of all people with how the dub can't replicate the sub 100% I'm the FIRST person who stands behind that mentality.
I know that the saga's full of mindscrews, but wouldn't letting Black have an American accent, at least, help with them? I don't really care if Zamasu has one, but I think it'd be better if Black didn't, at least not until the reveal. After that, if he slowly regresses to it, I don't think that'd be a bad thing, especially since that's where he & Zamasu essentially show off more of their xenophobic sides. Think about it, Goku's regular English voice & accent, just a bit more level & lower in pitch than normal, coming out of Black's mouth at first would be brilliant, then having Black slip back into the British that he had as Zamasu when he teams up with his alternate self would be great, especially for Sean, since it would allow him to show off his acting chops a bit more & it would give Black a bit of nuance, since he's supposed to be an evil Goku at first, then it's later revealed who he really is & he just lets loose as he & future Zamasu fight Goku & Vegeta. I think that'd be great for subtle acting right there. It'd keep with the Japanese performance for a while, then switch it up as the show does. Maybe I'm too hopeful, but that'd be great for the dub to do.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 am

Scsigs wrote:...I think it'd be better if Black didn't, at least not until the reveal. After that, if he slowly regresses to it, I don't think that'd be a bad thing, especially since that's where he & Zamasu essentially show off more of their xenophobic sides. Think about it, Goku's regular English voice & accent, just a bit more level & lower in pitch than normal, coming out of Black's mouth at first would be brilliant, then having Black slip back into the British that he had as Zamasu when he teams up with his alternate self would be great...
That's the thing though, Schemmel's Goku voice doesn't make for a good Goku Black at all. It's a really cool idea otherwise, I especially like the idea that he could slip into his posh speak as he goes into his self-aggrandizing speeches, but prior to that point, I just don't see Schemmel-Goku's voice working out for Black.

A version of what you're suggesting that I would enjoy would be to smoothed out a voice with only subtle hints of an accent until he reaches he reaches Rose in Episode 56, at which point he can be as flamboyant with it as possible, but I'm not even 100% sure that Schemmel could pull that off.
Retired.