"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

puar wrote:
Woman belly become noticible only near the end of pregnency. She could have gotten pregnant even before the black arc
That would still be months, not weeks.

Honestly, I think you're a troll at this point.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:53 pm

puar wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
puar wrote:
Between the moment goku used the kaioken against zamasu and the tournament of power are weeks. Goku couldent get used to it so easly and quickly
It's not. Bulma goes from not pregnant to about to give birth from the Black arc to the Tournament arc. At least 9 months have passed.
Woman belly become noticible only near the end of pregnency. She could have gotten pregnant even before the black arc
They start showing around 3-4 months in, and Bulma is toothpick in the Black Arc So the TOP arc is at LEAST 5 months after Black, and that's being generous.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
puar wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
It's not. Bulma goes from not pregnant to about to give birth from the Black arc to the Tournament arc. At least 9 months have passed.
They start showing around 3-4 months in, and Bulma is toothpick in the Black Arc So the TOP arc is at LEAST 5 months after Black, and that's being generous.
To add, she was still skinny in 71 and Goku noted that he hasn't seen Hit in about a year.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:25 pm

HeroR wrote:
puar wrote:

So because i dont agree with you it means I'm trolling? Might as well i can say the same. Stick to the topic instead of making accusations

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Yes, please, stick to the topic of the Funimation dub, not what you think filler means or when a womans pregnancy starts showing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm

puar wrote:
HeroR wrote:
puar wrote:

So because i dont agree with you it means I'm trolling? Might as well i can say the same. Stick to the topic instead of making accusations
No. What makes it look like you're trolling is, well, for one, your spelling errors, but also that your logic is incredibly flawed in both what is filler, canon, & when a woman starts showing her pregnancy. Plus the timings of the arcs. On top of that, you don't seem to be actually listening to anyone. You just seem to only care about your opinions, rather than informing your opinions based on new information. A troll does this on purpose to get a rise out of people all the time. That's why.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm

I think we need to stop using the word "canon" towards this franchise & use "continuity." "Canon" comes with the expectation that it's the one true timeline of the story. As far as we know, the true "canon" of the franchise is the DB manga/most of Z Kai & a filler-free cut of the DB anime if Toei were to make a recut of the show like Z. Although, you can take the manga continuity as the true "canon" if you want, since it's the same story told in a different way & fills in some gaps the anime staff didn't think to include &, thus, resulted in some plot holes. It's all up to personal preference, but I think using the word "continuity" is a LOT better than "Canon."
Here's my reasoning: The first continuity is the manga & anything Toriyama writes & supplemental material he gives separately, right? The DB manga & Super.
The second is the anime continuity of the shows. DB, Z, & GT. Then we have Kai, which is a condensed recut of Z that tries to adhere more to the manga's storyline. It still has bits of filler, but cut those out, or at least the more egregious ones, & the show tells the manga's story pretty well.
Then, most of the movies exist in their own continuities, except for the last 2, that take bits & pieces of the canon stuff to form their own stories, though some of them can be slotted into the main continuity decently without too many problems.
I think we can do this as a fandom & it'd be a LOT better.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:
HeroR wrote:

No. What makes it look like you're trolling is, well, for one, your spelling errors, but also that your logic is incredibly flawed in both what is filler, canon, & when a woman starts showing her pregnancy. Plus the timings of the arcs. On top of that, you don't seem to be actually listening to anyone. You just seem to only care about your opinions, rather than informing your opinions based on new information. A troll does this on purpose to get a rise out of people all the time. That's why.
my spelling errors are due to my weak english. you do realize that not everyone in this site are native english speakers right? just because its your native language dosent mean its everyone's native language. right now you are trolling by not sticking to the topic and going personal. i dont troll. i merely say what i think.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:46 pm

puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:
So because i don't agree with you it means I'm trolling? Might as well i can say the same. Stick to the topic instead of making accusations
my spelling errors are due to my weak english. you do realize that not everyone in this site are native english speakers right? just because its your native language dosent mean its everyone's native language. right now you are trolling by not sticking to the topic and going personal. i dont troll. i merely say what i think.
I'm not trolling, I'm just saying MY thoughts. Yeah, I get that not everyone on this site's a native English speaker, but that's the thing, one of the rules to be on this site is that you have to be able to converse in a coherent manner in English. You do, but the slight spelling errors DO grate a bit.
It's SO awesome when people think bringing up spelling errors is the pettiest thing that they cease taking any other point you have seriously & just fixate on the other shit, though. Just really great. You COULD take my advice AFTER that point, but NO, fixate on that point & blatantly ignore every bit of good advice I gave you. Jesus, I hate people on the internet sometimes.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:52 am

Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote: No. What makes it look like you're trolling is, well, for one, your spelling errors, but also that your logic is incredibly flawed in both what is filler, canon, & when a woman starts showing her pregnancy. Plus the timings of the arcs. On top of that, you don't seem to be actually listening to anyone. You just seem to only care about your opinions, rather than informing your opinions based on new information. A troll does this on purpose to get a rise out of people all the time. That's why.
I'm not trolling, I'm just saying MY thoughts. Yeah, I get that not everyone on this site's a native English speaker, but that's the thing, one of the rules to be on this site is that you have to be able to converse in a coherent manner in English. You do, but the slight spelling errors DO grate a bit.
It's SO awesome when people think bringing up spelling errors is the pettiest thing that they cease taking any other point you have seriously & just fixate on the other shit, though. Just really great. You COULD take my advice AFTER that point, but NO, fixate on that point & blatantly ignore every bit of good advice I gave you. Jesus, I hate people on the internet sometimes.
Because you dont watch the sub and because you dident even watched the trunks arc i know better then you what is filler and what isnt. Because i watched all of super while you watched only 43 episodes because you dont like watching anime in japanese. So as someone who actually have expirience with the show and who knows every episode of super i know better then you what is filler and what isnt. And this episode was pure filler. It is a fact. Either you accept it or you dont but its still remain a fact. You hate me? Ok it is your choice. I personally dont hate people just because they dont agree with me

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 am

I dont hate you but filler equals non canon is faulty logic. Just because you didnt care about an episode doesnt make it filler which in turn doesnt make it non canon.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I dont hate you but filler equals non canon is faulty logic. Just because you didnt care about an episode doesnt make it filler which in turn doesnt make it non canon.
Yea, but most people here has this flawed logic, so get used to.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:25 am

Still doesnt make it true. Still great advice! I will take it and shut up.I'm serious, I dont really want to fight.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm

puar wrote:Because you don't watch the sub and because you didn't even watched the trunks arc i know better then you what is filler and what isn't. Because i watched all of super while you watched only 43 episodes because you don't like watching anime in Japanese. So as someone who actually have experience with the show and who knows every episode of super i know better then you what is filler and what isn't. And this episode was pure filler. It is a fact. Either you accept it or you don't but its still remain a fact. You hate me? Ok it is your choice. I personally don't hate people just because they don't agree with me
So, because I didn't watch the rest of the series after what aired last Saturday, I can't judge what filler is? I've watched every single Star Trek series, I've watched Ben 10 Alien Force & Ultimate Alien, I've watched Naruto, One Piece, Digimon Tri Movie 2, etc, I know what filler is. I'm not saying this wasn't filler, because it is. What I'm actually saying is that filler =/= noncanon. That logic is flawed. If Toriyama were still writing the manga & Super was based on it, I'd say you were maybe right, but we don't know what's in Toriyama's plot outlines now do we? Just because Toyotaro doesn't have it in HIS manga doesn't mean it isn't canon to the show. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't canon to the show. These are just in-between episodes to give the arcs some cool-down time in between the major ones. Since Super tends to focus on Goku & Vegeta, these mini-arcs/slice-of-life/one-off episodes are fine. They're certainly not terrible, though the animation of this episode could've used some fixing for the Blu-Rays.
And, while I'm at it, I'm sick of this rampant elitism in some anime fans who insist that, because they watch the episodes in Japanese, they think they're more fit to judge something than people who don't. I'm sorry, but I thought that stories were supposed to be judged by the material presented & not by what language it was originally told in, or dubbed into. You wanna watch the show in Japanese? Fine. Enjoy your old women trying to sound like 30-something men, young me, & kids, your reading subtitles rather than being able to see the visuals most of the time, whatever. I have NOTHING against that. Just don't tell me you know what filler is & isn't. I KNOW what filler is, I'm a Dragon Ball fan. If there's ANYONE who knows what filler is, it's anyone who's a fan of DBZ. I don't hate YOU, though you're not helping your case at all, I hate the attitudes like yours that appear in fandoms; the ones without any sense of logic or consistency & just comes off as insulting rather than right or like you're ok with different opinions. It's filler, but it's not awful & it's certainly NOT noncanon. I think you lost sight of what this conversation was about because of what you started arguing & where this has come to. Look at most everyone else's responses to you & you'll see.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:51 am

Enjoy your old women trying to sound like 30-something men, young me, & kids, your reading subtitles rather than being able to see the visuals most of the time, whatever. I have NOTHING against that
as someone who is not from an english speaking country I'm used to reading subtitles all the time. i also watch most of my anime in japanese.you do understand that most people in the world arnt native english speakers and everyone read subtitles right? you call me elitist but you are a dub elitist yourself. judging by what you said about masako nozawa. this is the original goku voice. toriyama picked her himeself. so that means its superior to the english voice. i have no problem looking at visuals and reading the subtitles together. this isnt a pick or chose. so you skip entire show and only watch dubs. your hatred towords japan and everything outside of your home country is amazing. this is a japanese anime. and yet you hate this fact. so you only watch dubs because you love to pretend you watch an american show. thats how much you hate anything foreign to you.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 am

This is getting kind of nasty...

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 am

It's not my place to say anything because I'm not a mod but I think this little battle has gone on long enough
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:47 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:It's not my place to say anything because I'm not a mod but I think this little battle has gone on long enough
I'll try to end this.
puar wrote:As someone who is not from an english speaking country I'm used to reading subtitles all the time. i also watch most of my anime in japanese. you do understand that most people in the world arnt native english speakers and everyone read subtitles right? you call me elitist but you are a dub elitist yourself. judging by what you said about masako nozawa. this is the original goku voice. toriyama picked her himself. so that means its superior to the english voice. i have no problem looking at visuals and reading the subtitles together. this isnt a pick or chose. so you skip entire show and only watch dubs. your hatred towards japan and everything outside of your home country is amazing. this is a japanese anime. and yet you hate this fact. so you only watch dubs because you love to pretend you watch an american show. thats how much you hate anything foreign to you.
You're on an ENGLISH DUB FORUM THREAD. That comes with the expectation that, you know, you talk about the English dub of the show. You wanna discuss the show itself, go to the general Super forum. You watch the show, you stay up to date, go THERE if you wanna discuss the plot or structure of it, or start your own thread specifically about things you wanna talk about.

As for the other things you say, you accuse me of things that I'm not even remotely guilty of; that I "hate" anything not from my country. I am not Michael Braunstein (a guy who constantly shit-posts on my Power Rangers & Super Sentai-related YouTube videos). THAT'S someone who hates Japan. This is how I know you fixate on the trivial & try to make mountains out of molehills. I specifically said in the last post I made that I don't care if you watch the sub. That's fine. Go ahead & enjoy it. Doesn't mean I have to like it or watch it myself. I've tried watching the sub. Masako Nozawa may be the Japanese voice of Goku, but that doesn't mean she's MY Goku, savvy? I respect her as an actress, but I don't enjoy her Goku voice when he's an adult. I have the same hang-ups about any male character being voiced by women imitating a masculine voice when they're passed a certain age. I understand keeping her as Goku after he turned 18, but I don't have to like it. Why do you think the majority of the foreign language dubs of DB material have casted males as adult Goku? Especially when Z's the first piece of DB material dubbed or seen in a lot of places. For the English dub specifically, Schemmel has come around on the role significantly since his debut in '99. I'm not even against most of the Canadian Ocean Goku VAs. Schemmel's my Goku VA of choice. Deal with it. He matches, & in some respects, surpasses Nozawa. I'm not the only person who'll say that either. They both have pros & cons to their Goku voices. I just find Schemmel's less grating on my ears because it creates less cognitive dissonance between Goku's character design & his voice. It's why I also prefer Nadolny over Clinkenbeard for both his & Gohan's child selves. That voice sounds better to my ears than Clinkenbeard's attempt at a young male voice (that works for me for Luffy, mind you). I also prefer to not have to need to watch things with subtitles. I like to enjoy visual media. Haiyao Miyazaki himself emplores the dubs of his movies on the same principle; that visual media is meant to be enjoyed without having to read subtitles & just let you enjoy the images, music, & story presented to you. Do you see my logic at all?
And to give a few examples of my nonexistent hatred of anything not American, why do you think I'm on a Dragon Ball forum? For a refuge in audacity? No. I'm here to discuss a piece of entertainment I enjoy. I also enjoy Super Sentai & have been involved with a few forums for that franchise & Power Rangers in the past. I also enjoy the works of Studio Ghibli. And for a non-Japanese example, I recently dove into the works of British band Busted & was pleasantly surprised by their output. I enjoy more things from the UK as well than just music. Savvy?

And just to try to return this "discussion," if you can call it that, to what this started out as, & I keep trying to drill into your head, you started this by calling a slight filler episode noncanon, which it's not & it actually serves a purpose down the line to explain what could've been a plot hole. Given that Resurrection F had no tension by way of mentioning Whis' time-reversing powers at the start of it, I'd say this was the Japanese writing staff learning from the experience, since both the movie & the arc for that storyline were huge steps down from what came before, but at least the show has more things to mitigate those bad things. Not a lot, but I DO enjoy the show's version of that story than the movie.
Can you please focus on what this conversation is supposed to be about rather than the trivia?. I typed some of those things in frustration. They weren't exactly aimed at you, they were aimed at the actual sect of fans that belong to them. Anyone reading my posts could most likely tell that. "I hate some people on the internet some times," "elitists," etc. Those were all about general things I've seen online, not you. Please focus on the conversation at hand rather than things that were not meant to be so serious, or just give a final point before the mods come down on these posts. I've been involved in matters like that on this site before. I don't want trouble; I just want a normal conversation. Can you do that?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Sean on twitter:
"I’ve spent this entire week in Texas recording Goku, Goku Black and Rosé. I am confident these eps are gonna be off the hook! I can’t wait to hear the final mix! #exhausted #youallwillloveit!"

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sean on twitter:
"I’ve spent this entire week in Texas recording Goku, Goku Black and Rosé. I am confident these eps are gonna be off the hook! I can’t wait to hear the final mix! #exhausted #youallwillloveit!"
That's probably what Sabat was tweeting about when he said they were going back to something yesterday.