"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:48 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Scsigs wrote:If you're thinking of how they're doing the One Piece specials, those specials do not fall in between the episodes they aired with in Japan.
The difference is that Super's will introduce Goku's new form and start his final battle.
This time, it isn't a "special" for One Piece, it's the same as Super - 2 episodes pretty much joined together.
The scene with Luffy and Sanji is from the manga.
Is that something big the OP Manga? Because we know Goku vs Jiren is obviously big so if these two big things are happening makes more sense why they're doing back to back episodes.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Is that something big the OP Manga? Because we know Goku vs Jiren is obviously big so if these two big things are happening makes more sense why they're doing back to back episodes.
Do mean is Luffy Vs Sanji big in One Piece ? If so then yes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 pm

"On 10/7, get ready for a huge Dragon Ball Super one-hour special! More details to come soon!"
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 7327582208

Guess this solves any worry about licensing.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:"On 10/7, get ready for a huge Dragon Ball Super one-hour special! More details to come soon!"
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

There shouldn't have been any worry as they're just two normal episodes airing back to back, it's not like the One Piece and Toriko specials
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:"On 10/7, get ready for a huge Dragon Ball Super one-hour special! More details to come soon!"
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

There shouldn't have been any worry as they're just two normal episodes airing back to back, it's not like the One Piece and Toriko specials
I know! But a part of me was still slightly worried aha.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I know! But a part of me was still slightly worried aha.
Does this mean there'll be an English dub for the special?
How i predict the tournament will end:

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 pm

TheOne wrote:Does this mean there'll be an English dub for the special?
I mean, it's just another episode but longer.

So to answer your question, yes, it will be dubbed (when they get to that point in the series)
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:

So to answer your question, yes, it will be dubbed (when they get to that point in the series)
I should've clarified.

While I obviously know it'll eventually be dubbed, I was essentially asking did this open up the possibility of of a simulcast.
How i predict the tournament will end:

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:11 am

TheOne wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:

I should've clarified.

While I obviously know it'll eventually be dubbed, I was essentially asking did this open up the possibility of of a simulcast.
No way known we'll get a simulcast for a widely publicised double episode, when we haven't for the rest of the series

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:

I should've clarified.

No way known we'll get a simulcast for a widely publicised double episode, when we haven't for the rest of the series
To be fair it is being treated as a "special" but you are right it is really unlikely but that said FUNimation have been pretty weird in the past for example they simuldubbed Fairy Tail when they were still one arc (33 episodes) behind, which was so baffling on all accounts.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:32 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:To be fair it is being treated as a "special" but you are right it is really unlikely but that said FUNimation have been pretty weird in the past for example they simuldubbed Fairy Tail when they were still one arc (33 episodes) behind, which was so baffling on all accounts.
That's crazy

I think of FUNimation was interested in realising a simuldub and had the ability to do so, then we would have one by now. It's entirely possible that FUNimation want to produce one (I'm sure they want to catch up just as quickly as dub fans want them to), but there may be some kind of licensing or distribution issue getting in the way.

Such as the reason why it took so long to get dub Super to begin with.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:20 am

shadowmaria wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:To be fair it is being treated as a "special" but you are right it is really unlikely but that said FUNimation have been pretty weird in the past for example they simuldubbed Fairy Tail when they were still one arc (33 episodes) behind, which was so baffling on all accounts.
That's crazy

I think of FUNimation was interested in realising a simuldub and had the ability to do so, then we would have one by now. It's entirely possible that FUNimation want to produce one (I'm sure they want to catch up just as quickly as dub fans want them to), but there may be some kind of licensing or distribution issue getting in the way.

Oh definitely, Toei basically want Super on TV first before anything, Toei are so weird I swear like they won't let FUNi release OP series on BD despite the fact FUNi can stream it in HD... Ideally they should just let FUNi upload at least one episode a week on FUNiNow, that way we're not bound by Toonami. Kai proves episodes being available doesn't affect Toonami ratings.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am

shadowmaria wrote:
That's crazy

Is that also why it took so long for Super to go on Crunchyroll?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Episode titles
#34 "Piccolo vs. Frost: Stake It All on the Mankankosappo!"
#35 "Turn Your Anger Into Strength! Vegeta's Full-Bore Battle"

First "Son" now "Mankankosappo"...:eh:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Episode titles

They're being inconsistent with the names again.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:

With "Son" I was thinking it was might be a mistake and they forgot to omit it but with "Mankankosappo" there is definitely no way around. Maybe it has something to do with this "language asset manager" credit that has popped up recently in the credits?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Sean Schemmel recorded the God mode Kaioken x 10 scene for Episode 39 yesterday.
Recorded god mode kaio Ken x 10 for ep 39 yesterday. Voice? Gone. Thrilled with how it all turned out? Totally. Gonna be an amazing episode!
I'm very surprised they're still dubbing any of this Arc to be fair, though it is likely Chris Sabat had him recording screams for episodes already recorded months back in order to save his voice - we know he does do this, and most likely they just had to get this done in time to be mixed to the audio and sent over to Adult Swim in time to air.

I don't *think* it is an indication of how much they have recorded up to now.
I have a feeling that there is something going on behind the scenes they are looking to surprise us with.
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they may try a Simuldub at some point in time.

Threre was that video Forneverworld made back in early April, that *seemed* to hint at dub episodes going onto Funimation now.

Couple that with Funi including Super on their Simuldub trailer recently, and not to mention the Jason Douglas "slip" last July - if that was when they started, a Simuldub could be on the cards here by the end of Summer.

Could be wrong, likely am, but you never know.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Trying to keep track of things
Can someone repost the titles for 32 and 33? What's the source for locating these titles?

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:06 pm

Apologies for the double post

I just realised that FUNimation has announced casting for the competitors in the Tournament, but not for Fuwa, Fuwa's attendant, Zen-Oh, confirming Kibito will / won't still be voiced by Chuck Huber, confirming if Sabat will be reprising the announcer from Xenoverse 2, or who is the vocalist singing the Anthem of the Universes

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:

With "Son" I was thinking it was might be a mistake and they forgot to omit it but with "Mankankosappo" there is definitely no way around. Maybe it has something to do with this "language asset manager" credit that has popped up recently in the credits?
Um, is everyone forgetting that they actually introduced Goku's full name in the English dub of Kai? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gUJ_4SyY0. If they were to use it again, I don't think anyone would mind. As for Makankosappo, they've been pretty inconsistent on that whole thing. First they introduce it in Kai, but only for the first instance, then they revert it to the dub terminology for no reason. Even in Super, they've used the dub terminology for some reason.
shadowmaria wrote:I just realised that FUNimation has announced casting for the competitors in the Tournament, but not for Fuwa, Fuwa's attendant, Zen-Oh, confirming Kibito will / won't still be voiced by Chuck Huber, confirming if Sabat will be reprising the announcer from Xenoverse 2, or who is the vocalist singing the Anthem of the Universes
Um, Chuck is in Super already. He's voicing Pilaf & will most likely be reprising 17 in the future, since he also did 17 for Xenoverse 2 like he always has. Also, why the hell wouldn't he reprise Kibito? He voiced him again in Kai TFC, so that's a pretty good indication & that dub was only done a few years ago. He still lives in Texas, he still records dubs at FUNi, & he's part of the English dub script writing staff, isn't he? To think he wouldn't be reprising Kibito is just stupid.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs