"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

puar
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by puar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:54 am

2 weeks break? wtf?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:37 pm

puar wrote:2 weeks break? wtf?
It's the Holidays.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Ricno924 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Preview for #45
https://youtu.be/s3CtIC4ugSw

This. Is. Amazing.
Good Lord, that's great. I've always liked Drummond's Vegeta - glad to see him returning to the role, in a way.
That was fucking amazing, this makes these episodes way more worthwhile now, I'm excited!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 pm

I hope they use the "next dimension" line just for jokes.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm

It's amazing how great Drummond can still yell with the proper direction, wow, props to Sabat.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Can't believe I'm going to bring this up, but love how everyone's praising Drummond's casting as a nod to both the fanbase & the old dubs from Canada, but people were more divided that Team Four Star was originally in Kai before Toei forced them to change the voices for that scene.

Sorry, don't wanna spoil the mood, but I felt it was worth bringing up at least once here.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Let me get you guys' thoughts on this:

Ever since Drummond was announced to voice Copy Vegeta, I've hearing some people wanting some other Ocean dub voice actors in this dub.

For instance, some people want Scott McNeil to voice one of the Universe 6 Namekians. Now that would be pretty interesting, but I'm unsure if it would actually happen.

I've even seen some guy on Twitter say that he wished that Goku Black was voiced by either Ian James Corlett or Peter Kelemis. Although that would've been Super dope, we all know for a fact that it's not happening and Goku Black will be voiced by Schemmel.

You guys' thoughts?
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caulifla best girl! :)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Scsigs wrote:Can't believe I'm going to bring this up, but love how everyone's praising Drummond's casting as a nod to both the fanbase & the old dubs from Canada, but people were more divided that Team Four Star was originally in Kai before Toei forced them to change the voices for that scene.

Sorry, don't wanna spoil the mood, but I felt it was worth bringing up at least once here.
Not even remotely comparable, dude. Team Four Star's not even an official dub! Christ, it's not even an actual "dub" of the show. It's a fan parody.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:36 pm

To me, Brian Drummond -- like all the Ocean voices -- is permanently baked into my head as how the character is supposed to sound.
While I do appreciate Sabat's Vegeta, and consider both to be roughly on-level in a more objective sense these days(They're very different, but both valid and really awesome approaches), Drummond will always win out for me.

Seeing both on-screen at the same time... My god... This will be glorious.

There's little I wouldn't give to hear any of the Ocean voices in Dragon Ball again(McNeil, Drummond, Henderson, Brown, Sadiq, etc.), and although it seems Ocean Kai might finally be getting on TV thanks to Marni Shulman of Wow Unlimited, having Drummond back as Vegeta so soon...

My god, this will be GLORIOUS.

Serious props to Sabat and co. for doing this. This is so awesome, and I am so happy right now.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Let me get you guys' thoughts on this:
[snip]
You guys' thoughts?
Having Ocean voices brought in for Funi dubs will always be a win in my book. After all, they're all incredibly talented actors, and there's a lot of love for them in the DB fandom, particularly from UK and Canadian fans, and especially for the ones who were around back in the Saban days. I think bringing one of the Ocean Gokus back for Goku Black would be a bit weird, and I don't think they'd do it.
But, yeah, U6 Namekians played by McNeil would be rad. More stuff like that would be great.

I have a feeling any returning Ocean actors would have to be just cameos, though; like what's going on with Drummond as Copy-Vegeta.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Wow that is really cool of Funimation to do, he sounds great as well.

Got to say though this Potafeu stuff is up there with the worst of the Dragon Ball series. Only thing that saved this episode was Vegeta, the scene with him and Jaco in the ship was painfully awkward but got a few laughs from me.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:55 pm

nato25 wrote:Wow that is really cool of Funimation to do, he sounds great as well.

Got to say though this Potafeu stuff is up there with the worst of the Dragon Ball series. Only thing that saved this episode was Vegeta, the scene with him and Jaco in the ship was painfully awkward but got a few laughs from me.
I gotta disagree. The Potafeu arc in my opinion is better than the entire U6 tournament. Space exploration, getting to see more of Jaco and Monaka shenanigans, Goten and Trunks finally involved in something, fun character interactions like you said that Vegeta and Jaco moment was off the hook hilarious.

The U6 tournament was a lumbering, poorly animated, iffy stakes just total potential right down the toilet.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Both the U6 and Potaufeu arcs were just okay IMO. Potaufeu is quite short though, so it's not very bothersome if you're not a fan. U6 tournament took a while, though...

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm

The U6 arc started off poor, but once it got to the Vegeta/Magetta and Vegeta/Cabba fights, it picked up. Goku Vs. Hit in U6 is still very good to this day.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Can't believe I'm going to bring this up, but love how everyone's praising Drummond's casting as a nod to both the fanbase & the old dubs from Canada, but people were more divided that Team Four Star was originally in Kai before Toei forced them to change the voices for that scene.

Not even remotely comparable, dude. Team Four Star's not even an official dub! Christ, it's not even an actual "dub" of the show. It's a fan parody.
Doesn't make it any less though. Yeah, it's a parody, but that doesn't lessen their impact. Hell, some things seemed to have been directly inspired by them in Super, so you can't tell me any different. The only differences between Drummond & TFS are that Drummond's not as divisive & Toei doesn't hate him. That's, literally, it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:Doesn't make it any less though. Yeah, it's a parody, but that doesn't lessen their impact. Hell, some things seemed to have been directly inspired by them in Super, so you can't tell me any different. The only differences between Drummond & TFS are that Drummond's not as divisive & Toei doesn't hate him. That's, literally, it.
I think you're taking that a little far.

Drummond is a professional, seasoned actor. He was the original voice of Vegeta, and most older fans' introduction to Vegeta.

No offense to TFS, I love them, but the TFS actors are mostly based on the Funi voices, with some new tones/dimension added to them, and while they are certainly good actors, and many of them are now professionals, they're not really on the level of a legend like Drummond.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Scsigs wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:

Doesn't make it any less though. Yeah, it's a parody, but that doesn't lessen their impact. Hell, some things seemed to have been directly inspired by them in Super, so you can't tell me any different. The only differences between Drummond & TFS are that Drummond's not as divisive & Toei doesn't hate him. That's, literally, it.
The Ocean dub is a legitimate, official dub of the series. Hell, it IS the Funimation dub, only outsourced to do a different studio.

And I think Toei canning the TFS skit had more to do with how silly and completely unrelated to the original scene it was, not some vendetta against TFS. Hell, they've used TFS voice actors in bit parts in the show and in the games. If they had MasakoX, Lani, etc. voice the characters without all of the crazy meme lines and shit, Toei wouldn't have cared at all.

We're all fans of Abridged here, but you're really overstating their status.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:14 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: Not even remotely comparable, dude. Team Four Star's not even an official dub! Christ, it's not even an actual "dub" of the show. It's a fan parody.
The Ocean dub is a legitimate, official dub of the series. Hell, it IS the Funimation dub, only outsourced to do a different studio.

And I think Toei canning the TFS skit had more to do with how silly and completely unrelated to the original scene it was, not some vendetta against TFS. Hell, they've used TFS voice actors in bit parts in the show and in the games. If they had MasakoX, Lani, etc. voice the characters without all of the crazy meme lines and shit, Toei wouldn't have cared at all.

It was definitely the specific voices themselves they took issue with, though not necessarily the voice actors. Other International dubs that had their script based on Funi's still have the meme lines in there for that scene. Furthermore, if Toei cared that much about how their work was represented overseas, shows like Digimon wouldn't get so heavily altered here. Still, doesn't mean it's impossible for them to get roles by any means.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: Not even remotely comparable, dude. Team Four Star's not even an official dub! Christ, it's not even an actual "dub" of the show. It's a fan parody.

I mean, I get your guys' points, but here's the thing. I've actually seen some people say that some of the other foreign language dubs of Kai TFC, like I think the Mexican Spanish dub is the example I've seen used, had translations that were based off the original FUNi scripts for the series instead of direct translations from the Japanese. This makes sense because a lot of foreign language dubs do this as it's easier to translate from English than Japanese. This had the side effect of retaining the lines from TFS' version of the scene in that dub, so I'm more inclined to it being that Toei hates those guys, or at least DBZA, than the scripting. Toei, I don't think, are opposed to TFS' members being in the dubs of their shows, since I think Taka, or was Kaiser, played one of the Frieza grunts in Resurrection F, Lani has been a few tertiary characters in One Piece, & General Ivan's Gecko Moria in One Piece, a major recurring villain. It's just the fact that they directly referenced their web parody series, & that it was them, that made them remove the lines. I mean, in the first 98 episodes, there were some references to TFS in some of the dialogue, like Nappa hating the media, Goku saying Mr. Popo looked scary, & the Wilhelm Scream on that Frieza grunt. This leads me to think that it's just the combination of the facts that I've pointed out that caused them to get them to remove it.
The games, though, are a different case. Toei has no direct involvement with the games other than probably recording the dialogue at their studios for them, at least I don't believe they do. Those games are under the control of Bandai Namco & the developers of them. I'm betting all Sabat had to do was ask if they could bring them in & they said sure. And out of the 3, Taka's the only one who does the direct parodying of anything. Lani & Kaiser's were played straight, just with certain inflections with their voices. I don't think Toei had much say there.
Personally, I see both of these instances with Drummond & TFS on the same level; just Sabat having a fun time with fandom nods. He did a similar thing with Greg Ayres as Frost. But that's just me.
Valerius Dover wrote:It was definitely the specific voices themselves they took issue with, though not necessarily the voice actors. Other International dubs that had their script based on Funi's still have the meme lines in there for that scene. Furthermore, if Toei cared that much about how their work was represented overseas, shows like Digimon wouldn't get so heavily altered here. Still, doesn't mean it's impossible for them to get roles by any means.
Exactly, though Digimon wasn't in any way the worst show to get altered over here. At least they kept most of the names, locations, & other things intact, even if they still made the dub for kids. One Piece was probably the worst when 4Kids had it. For some reason, they were so eager to get the show overseas that they rushed it out the door to those guys & didn't bother to take into account how badly the series was gonna come across with 4Kids behind the dubbing. Not having FUNi dub it from the off was, frankly, stupid. Plus all those early censorings of DBZ, but those got rectified with the later releases.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 pm

The Ocean dub, good or bad, was an official produce of Dragon Ball and the Ocean dub is even completed, that version of Dragon Ball aired in Canada. Abridge isn't. It isn't hard to figure out.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 am

dident you said not to talk about TFS in this forum and that it has its own thread?