"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by gohan_black » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Here's a taste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hHDOSEIXw.
This one's good for smugness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8rR1zcRcE.
And Here he is as Silver. Mercer is just so awesome!
He's a great voice actor, but that doesn't really sound like Zamasu to me. He sounds too...chill. Zamasu to me is arrogant and I thought Shinichiro Miki captured that perfectly. So if Matthew Mercer does get cast as Zamasu, I don't know how he'd work. Guys, what is about Mercer that would make you think he'd be perfect as Zamasu? Because I kinda don't get it.
hes perfect for the role it just that when you hear a japanese voice actor then no english one can sound like him. but yeha its fairly very close

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: And Here he is as Silver. Mercer is just so awesome!
He's a great voice actor, but that doesn't really sound like Zamasu to me. He sounds too...chill. Zamasu to me is arrogant and I thought Shinichiro Miki captured that perfectly. So if Matthew Mercer does get cast as Zamasu, I don't know how he'd work. Guys, what is about Mercer that would make you think he'd be perfect as Zamasu? Because I kinda don't get it.
hes perfect for the role it just that when you hear a japanese voice actor then no english one can sound like him. but yeha its fairly very close
My question is: How?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Here's a taste https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hHDOSEIXw.
This one's good for smugness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8rR1zcRcE.
And Here he is as Silver. Mercer is just so awesome!
That was the only dub clip of Silver I could find, trust me once Silver got going in the show a lot of what Mercer did screamed Zamasu to me when thinking who should dub him, I will try and upload the scenes I am talking about.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:Don't doubt the power of Sean Schemmel EVER!
Don't overestimate him, mate. Sean Schemmel is a great VA and a few times I think he nails Goku better than Nozawa, but unfortunately I don't think he will ever top her performance doing Goku Black's voice, but I hope he'll do a good work.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah Sean said they had no context for XV2 and I think he said his Black in the show will be different.
Pardon, but that's a lame excuse. Is not like he was incapable of watching some scenes of Goku Black in YouTube to know a little better about the character.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: He's a great voice actor, but that doesn't really sound like Zamasu to me. He sounds too...chill. Zamasu to me is arrogant and I thought Shinichiro Miki captured that perfectly. So if Matthew Mercer does get cast as Zamasu, I don't know how he'd work. Guys, what is about Mercer that would make you think he'd be perfect as Zamasu? Because I kinda don't get it.
My question is: How?
he just sound very close to him. the tone of his voice fits perfectly. also. you know only his voice. you dont know in way he gonna talk while dubbing zamasu. zamasu has a very lets say ''special'' way of talking makes him sound like no one else. but this is the best they could have got

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Quickly whipped this up since I was bored:

What if Matt Mercer voiced Zamasu?

What if Vic Mignogna voiced Zamasu?

These are my top two choices!

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Quickly whipped this up since I was bored:

I'm digging Mignogna, definitely. Not feeling Mercer, but maybe it's just that specific voice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:14 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:

I'm digging Mignogna, definitely. Not feeling Mercer, but maybe it's just that specific voice.
Yeah I admit those weren't the best choices for Mercer but I still couldn't find the specific scene where Mercer left an impression on me as a good choice for Zamasu so thought I would use these in the time being, he is a bit too deep yeah I agree but that can tonned downn if he comes to dub Zamasu, I do think Mercer has potential to be a good Zamasu.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 pm

The tone of that Mignogna clip definitely fit how I would perceive a Zamasu moment to be like, but it's a bit too high pitched. If it were a bit lower, it would be perfect, imo. For Mercer, the problem I'd say is that it's too low. We need a nice inbetween.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:37 pm

The thing about using Trafalgar Law clips as examples of what Matthew Mercer sounds like is that the One Piece dub is still far from up to date. Law's earliest appearances in the series largely consist of him being kind of detached and smug. They're like two or three "seasons" worth of dubbing away from really needing Mercer to show any actual emotion as Law.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:He's a great voice actor, but that doesn't really sound like Zamasu to me. He sounds too...chill. Zamasu to me is arrogant and I thought Shinichiro Miki captured that perfectly. So if Matthew Mercer does get cast as Zamasu, I don't know how he'd work. Guys, what is about Mercer that would make you think he'd be perfect as Zamasu? Because I kinda don't get it.
Well, to be honest, those roles haven't exactly let him show his acting chops too much passed being calm, cool, & collected. It's a lot like Travis Willingham as Ace in One Piece prior to the latest arc they dubbed right before the timeskip. I've heard some talk about not knowing if he could really act the more serious scenes. Mercer is kinda the same way. Mainly what you need for Zamasu is a guy who can pull off arrogance & cockiness really well, then can yell that. Zamasu is mainly those things. If Mercer plays him, he can really sink his teeth into it. On top of that, he really seems like he could use a playing-against-type kind of situation here. That's my thoughts, at least. Don't doubt him until you hear him. That's the main thing here. What would you rather have, an actor who sounds exactly like the Japanese, but can't act for shit, or an actor doing his/her own thing that can act just as well as the original, if not better? That's how I think of these things.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 pm

I'd be down with Vic, but they've been making more of a conscious effort to not reuse actors if they can help it for new characters unless needed, hence why Schemmel's going to be voicing Black, because it makes sense. I'd love for Vic to be doing more voices for the franchise, but my money's still on Mercer, TBH.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Mercer I know most for being Kanji in Persona 4, or rather voice matching Troy Baker as Kanji. Mercer has range and is able to almost perfectly voice match Troy Baker, and well if anyone has seen some of Troy's more evil asshole roles from things like Code Geass, Far Cry 4 and Fullmetal Alchemist, if Mercer can get close to how Troy plays those characters. Then we have our perfect English Zamasu.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am

Scsigs wrote:

I'd be down with Vic, but they've been making more of a conscious effort to not reuse actors if they can help it for new characters unless needed, hence why Schemmel's going to be voicing Black, because it makes sense. I'd love for Vic to be doing more voices for the franchise, but my money's still on Mercer, TBH.
Sure I can get that and yeah Sean had to be Black from an in-verse perspective. The way Geekdome described Sabat talking about Zamasu definitely leads me to believe it will be a voice actor who hasn't done DB before. With the right direction Mercer would be great. The Trunks arc is where Sabat will have most his directing work cut out, just hope they make Vale ditch the grasp he had in Kai, I don't find it super grating like others but would prefer it not there.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Sure I can get that and yeah Sean had to be Black from an in-verse perspective. The way Geekdom described Sabat talking about Zamasu definitely leads me to believe it will be a voice actor who hasn't done DB before. With the right direction Mercer would be great. The Trunks arc is where Sabat will have most his directing work cut out, just hope they make Vale ditch the grasp he had in Kai, I don't find it super grating like others but would prefer it not there.
"Grasp"?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Scsigs wrote: "Grasp"?
He meant "rasp". As in, he thinks Vale needs to change his Trunks voice from sounding so raspy.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Yeah he sounded pretty off in xv1 but xv2 was a huge improvement I think, like he was remembering it again.

As for that zamas discussion i liked the mignogna clip better for sure. However I think it needs to sound a bit younger. I'm not talking about memes or anything but I think once the va learns to nail how to say "filthy mortals/humans" theyll be able to nail the role.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: "Grasp"?
He meant "rasp". As in, he thinks Vale needs to change his Trunks voice from sounding so raspy.
It's probably coming off voicing Sanji from the One Piece dub is the thing. He does Sanji with a raspy version of his Trunks voice. Personally, I didn't notice much different from how he usually voices Trunks in Kai.
nato25 wrote:Yeah he sounded pretty off in xv1 but xv2 was a huge improvement I think, like he was remembering it again.
It's most likely the fact that they didn't have the cutscenes is what was hurting his performance. Even they hate that, since their dialogue, while accurate, doesn't always match the character's mouths. Having played through a bit of the story of Xenoverse, I agree.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Weirdly enough Adult Swim went back to using the Japanese version of Hello, Hello, Hello this week.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:29 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Weirdly enough Adult Swim went back to using the Japanese version of Hello, Hello, Hello this week.
Was just about to mention this, something weird must be going on with licensing
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)