"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:59 am

Well yeah I meant this whole 'resurgence' era. I'd say everyone apart from maybe Magetta (who from what I've heard is just speech to text) has been done justice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote:Zen-Oh and Omni King? Oh I like this compromise. :mrgreen: Whoever the voice actor is, she sounds one-to-one with the Japanese, great casting.
Sounds a lot like Sarah Wiedenheft to me.

Edit- Just saw FUNi's tweet, cool! Also Goku called him dude lol.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 am

Tian wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:AAAAH!!! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!! OH MY GOSH!!!
Guys! Funimation just posted on their Twitter, an early look at Zeno's English voice, and.... Oh my gosh, he sounds so CUUUUUTE! I'll post it down here, so that you guys can hear the cuteness!

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/9 ... 7757459457

PS: They spelled it as "Zeno", not "Zen-Oh".
Oh Kami! That voice is really CUTE! It almost made me want to hug the monitor.

I bet CureDragon255 will like it.
Huh. NOW this has big shoes to fill!

"Sees Clip"

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

AND he doesnt have that extremely annoying "Yes/Hai!" vocal tic. So cute!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am

I personally loved how Sean delivered, "We're pawns, for now", "Just for now". And Champa's voice did a good job capturing Champa about to murder his team.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm

So, the clip's been officially uploaded to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpH9kfF ... ploademail.
I also commented how dub Zeno sounds like the twin girls from The Shining. it's so unnerving & creepy, but not in a bad way. The direction was clearly something like, "not human, but also childlike." Kinda similar to 19 in Kai.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 am

I love this recent fun episode. Not only is it great recap but also feels kind of new with the dub cast. Champa still steals the show. I was a bit worried they couldn't find a good VA to match his Japan counterpart, but they did and he's been great. I really like Frost and Cabba VA, and Hit eventually grew on me.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Scsigs wrote:So, the clip's been officially uploaded to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpH9kfF ... ploademail.
I also commented how dub Zeno sounds like the twin girls from The Shining. it's so unnerving & creepy, but not in a bad way. The direction was clearly something like, "not human, but also childlike." Kinda similar to 19 in Kai.
So do you know who voiced zeno in the english,they did a fantastic job with him.
Mostly active on discord.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:27 pm

The gr wrote:
Scsigs wrote:So, the clip's been officially uploaded to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpH9kfF ... ploademail.
So do you know who voiced zeno in the english,they did a fantastic job with him.
A lady by the name of Sarah Wiedenheft. She's totally perfect for the role!, great casting once again from Chris Sabat.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Damn, Sarah's Zen-Oh voice is so adorable!
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: A lady by the name of Sarah Wiedenheft. She's totally perfect for the role!, great casting once again from Chris Sabat.
Thank you.Sabat did it again,she did a great job voicing this adorable little abomination.
Mostly active on discord.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 pm

DBS Part 3 Feb:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Re used Resurrection "F" artwork again...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:DBS Part 3 Feb:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Re used Resurrection "F" artwork again...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
They could have used Hit, Champa, Cabba.... meh.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Toonami picked up an additional slot at 22:30 - Black Clover airs at 23:30, while Super and Kai move up 30 minutes.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Great choice for Zeno! I bet if the actress could speak Japanese, she would sound exactly like Zeno in the sub. These past few episodes have been amazing, particularly Hit and Goku’s scenes.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Toonami picked up an additional slot at 22:30 - Black Clover airs at 23:30, while Super and Kai move up 30 minutes.
Cool. Hopefully they'll actually get back to starting at an earlier time too like the old days eventually.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:A lady by the name of Sarah Wiedenheft. She's totally perfect for the role!, great casting once again from Chris Sabat.
Not really, the best choice would be to recast Linda Young. I miss her voice acting as Freeza
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Noah wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:A lady by the name of Sarah Wiedenheft. She's totally perfect for the role!, great casting once again from Chris Sabat.
Not really, the best choice would be to recast Linda Young. I miss her voice acting as Freeza
What are you talking about? For 1. this person's talking about Zeno, not Frieza.
2. You actually think she's a better Frieza than Chris Ayres...that's just insane on the face of it. Chris' performance blows hers out of the water.
3. Why the hell would Sabat recast Frieza back to her, when Chris has been the established voice for years now? Daman Mills is going to keep ding his Chris Ayres Frieza voice unless Chris is able to come back after his recuperation. If you honestly think there's even a remote chance of recasting Young as Frieza at this point, especially because she NEVER fit the roll (I've had that opinion since childhood, mind you), you are crazy. Miss her & like her if you do, but she's NEVER gonna be Frieza again. For the better, I say.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:What are you talking about? For 1. this person's talking about Zeno, not Frieza.
2. You actually think she's a better Frieza than Chris Ayres...that's just insane on the face of it. Chris' performance blows hers out of the water.
3. Why the hell would Sabat recast Frieza back to her, when Chris has been the established voice for years now? Daman Mills is going to keep ding his Chris Ayres Frieza voice unless Chris is able to come back after his recuperation. If you honestly think there's even a remote chance of recasting Young as Frieza at this point, especially because she NEVER fit the roll (I've had that opinion since childhood, mind you), you are crazy. Miss her & like her if you do, but she's NEVER gonna be Frieza again. For the better, I say.
Oh pardon then, I thought he was talking about someone who would replace Ayres while he was in his medical leave.

2. No, I think Ayres is better, but I enjoy Young performance too.
3. Why not? I think she's a great voice actress and you do Freeza again just fine.
Last edited by Noah on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Noah wrote:Oh pardon then, I thought he was talking about someone who would replace Ayres while he was on his medical leave.

2. No, I think Ayres is better, but I enjoy Young's performance too.
3. Why not? I think she's a great voice actress and would do Freeza again just fine.
How would you arrive at that? If you looked at how the thread's conversation was going, you'd get the context. Ayres hasn't been talked about on this thread in a while.
It's good that you think Ayres is better. I don't know how anyone could say the opposite with a straight face who wasn't blinded by nostalgia.
I REALLY don't think that anyone would want Young back at this point in time other than hardcore Z dub fans. She might've just been replaced because she couldn't keep up with the Kai scripts, but I think we got someone infinitely better from it. I, really, couldn't take Frieza seriously at all if they switched back to Young. She really couldn't act that well in Z without making it sound too hammy. That includes the games. It always felt like she was just speaking or yelling into a mic when doing the lines. Ayres has a great range in his acting, being able to sound sinister & arrogant, but can also scream. Young should stick to old women, not male aliens like Frieza. Coupled with the slight English accent giving Frieza a sort of poshness to his voice, he makes him sund like a sinister force to be reckoned with, as opposed to Young, who just sounds like a woman who smokes 10 packs a day.
On top of THAT, I really couldn't stand hardcore Z dub fans lording it over Ayres fans that she was back in the role. You know that would happen in a heartbeat if that was a case.
Luckily, though, we have Daman Mills doing his best Ayres impression. Short of tapping Little Kuriboh to do it officially, which I don't know if Toei would even allow unless they were forced, he's the next best thing.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Toonami picked up an additional slot at 22:30 - Black Clover airs at 23:30, while Super and Kai move up 30 minutes.
Unfortunately, it will result in Super being removed from 8:00 and 8:30. Here's the schedule for the next couple of weeks:

11/18:
8:00 Dragon Ball Super #40
8:30 Dragon Ball Super #41 (NEW)
9:00-11:00 Comedy
11:00 Dragon Ball Super #41 (Repeat)
11:30 Dragon Ball Z Kai #42 (NEW)
12:00-4:00 Rest of Toonami

11/25:
8:00 Dragon Ball Super #40 (Repeat)
8:30 Dragon Ball Super #41 (Repeat)
9:00-11:00 Comedy
11:00-4:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai Marathon #33-42

From 12/2:
8:00-10:30 Comedy
10:30 Dragon Ball Super #42 (NEW)
11:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai #43 (NEW)
11:30 Black Clover (PREMIERE)
12:00-4:00 Rest of Toonami

There will also most likely be marathons on 12/23 and 12/30 that will preempt all new episodes, so be ready for that, too.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.