"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:17 pm

gohan_black wrote:i know that its a dub thread but that episode brought me back to how toei shitting on piccolo charecter. he basiclly won this round. if not the poison he would really legitimitly win. then he just forfiet to give vegeta his place. just absulute fucking bullshit. piccolo should be eager to fight. toei is shitting on piccolo to give everything to goku and vegeta. they could have make an extra 2 episodes and show piccolo against magetta.
All that also happened in the manga. So it was most likely Toriyamas idea, not Toei's. Toei aren't responsible for everything that happens in the story.

They didn't poison your water supply, burn your crops, or deliver a plague unto your houses either.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
gohan_black wrote:i know that its a dub thread but that episode brought me back to how toei shitting on piccolo charecter. he basiclly won this round. if not the poison he would really legitimitly win. then he just forfiet to give vegeta his place. just absulute fucking bullshit. piccolo should be eager to fight. toei is shitting on piccolo to give everything to goku and vegeta. they could have make an extra 2 episodes and show piccolo against magetta.
All that also happened in the manga. So it was most likely Toriyamas idea, not Toei's. Toei aren't responsible for everything that happens in the story.

They didn't poison your water supply, burn your crops, or deliver a plague unto your houses either.
but they did poison dragon ball. burned its legacy and deliver a plauge to the franchise

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:59 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

but they did poison dragon ball. burned its legacy and deliver a plauge to the franchise
One could argue that was early FUNimation. The ashes could still be seen to this day. If you listen closely you can still hear the faint sound of Faulconer.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Um, did you forget Toriyama's writing the plot outlines to the arcs, minus the shorter ones, for Super? Blame Toriyama for stoylines being mishandled. Toei should only be blamed for bad animation & some stuff that we can be certain is what their writers are influencing into the story based on what's different in the manga.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Okora

Post by Okora » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 am

That was Toriyama's doing. Partially because Vegeta and Goku are the two most popular characters in this series. I mean didn't Toriyama say Piccolo was his favorite character in one interview?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:43 am

Titles:
#36-"An Unexpectedly Uphill Battle! Vegeta's Great Blast of Fury"
#37- "Don't Forget Your Saiyan Pride! Vegeta vs. the 6th Universe's Saiyan"
#38- "The 6th Universe's Mightiest Warrior! Engage the Assassin Hit"
#39- "Developed Time Skip Counterstrike? Here Comes Goku's New Move"

Okora

Post by Okora » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Titles:
#36-"An Unexpectedly Uphill Battle! Vegeta's Great Blast of Fury"
#37- "Don't Forget Your Saiyan Pride! Vegeta vs. the 6th Universe's Saiyan"
#38- "The 6th Universe's Mightiest Warrior! Engage the Assassin Hit"
#39- "Developed Time Skip Counterstrike? Here Comes Goku's New Move"
What episode number are we on?

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Okora wrote: What episode number are we on?
Episode 35 should be up next.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Mercer was great as Hit but what's with Magetta? His actor wasn't listed and it said "N/A" instead
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Yep, that sure was Matt Mercer as Hit.

Was that a synthesised voice for Magetta? If so, that's weird.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Hit's voice sounded fine for this episode. It's a shallow look but from the glimpse we've gotten it fits the character quite well while not being an exact 1:1 copycat of the Japanese take. It's certainly a step up from the interpretation we see in Xenoverse.

As for Magetta, though .... I really, really don't like it. An earlier comment points out it comes across as synthesized which I don't quite understand as I don't see how you could interpret that from the Japanese original? At the very least, you should gather that his voice would be rather doofy and would work fine being reused for the English, but this is just so radically different and comes across as stereotypical for a robot. If the point is that he's still organic despite his appearance, the approach taken comes across as one dimensional. Can you really see that direct a voice being able to pathetically cry like Magetta does in the series multiple times?
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:33 pm

What have they done to my adorable Magetta!? Damnit.

I get changing the voice but not to a more robotic version. That's something I'd expect from the early days of the FUNimation dub. Oh well. It's not terrible, but its a little disappointing.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:04 am

Is it just me or does it sound like Magetta says "Fuck" a lot? :wtf:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 am

Boo Machine wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

One could argue that was early FUNimation. The ashes could still be seen to this day. If you listen closely you can still hear the faint sound of Faulconer.
I prefer faulconer. Nothing wrong with that
How i predict the tournament will end:

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 am

TheOne wrote: I prefer faulconer. Nothing wrong with that
Sure. I like a few tracks myself. Just poking a little fun.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 am

English dub of Ending 3 from the Part Two Blu-ray: https://youtu.be/WICKm2xERQE
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:24 am

Don't know if anyone posted this yet but it seems that Funimation did in fact dub Usubeni (and changed the name to Twilight for some reason) and it's on the Part 2 Blu-ray https://youtu.be/WICKm2xERQE

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:24 am

SSGSS Goku wrote:Don't know if anyone posted this yet but it seems that Funimation did in fact dub Usubeni (and changed the name to Twilight for some reason) and it's on the Part 2 Blu-ray https://youtu.be/WICKm2xERQE
Just posted it here ;)

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:27 am

Oh lmao. Is there any info on who sings it?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:31 am

SSGSS Goku wrote:Don't know if anyone posted this yet but it seems that Funimation did in fact dub Usubeni (and changed the name to Twilight for some reason) and it's on the Part 2 Blu-ray https://youtu.be/WICKm2xERQE
Because "Light Pink" would sound silly?

By the way, everyone seeing why I wanted Mercer as Zamasu now? I mean, I know they prefer to get more actors for main & secondary characters unless it's needed for the story, or in-between shows, but having Mercer as Zamasu as well would be awesome. He's got a really cool voice & I bet he's more versed in voice acting than Marsters, so it'd be a good choice. I'll wait to see how Masters does in the show, as he & the rest of the production staff, have had months to watch all the way through the arc to figure Zamasu out, especially to tweak Schemmel's Goku black voice accordingly, so I'll bet his performance is a lot better than Xenoverse 2, though that wouldn't be hard to accomplish, but I'd sill prefer Mercer.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs