"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:I just realised that FUNimation has announced casting for the competitors in the Tournament, but not for Fuwa, Fuwa's attendant, Zen-Oh, confirming Kibito will / won't still be voiced by Chuck Huber, confirming if Sabat will be reprising the announcer from Xenoverse 2, or who is the vocalist singing the Anthem of the Universes
Um, Chuck is in Super already. He's voicing Pilaf & will most likely be reprising 17 in the future, since he also did 17 for Xenoverse 2 like he always has. Also, why the hell wouldn't he reprise Kibito? He voiced him again in Kai TFC, so that's a pretty good indication & that dub was only done a few years ago. He still lives in Texas, he still records dubs at FUNi, & he's part of the English dub script writing staff, isn't he? To think he wouldn't be reprising Kibito is just stupid.
Oh, I completely agree and it would be nuts if he didn't return to the role, but confirmation would be nice. Remember when everyone assumed Laura Bailey would be back as Kid Trunks, but then Alexis Tipton was announced? That's all I'm referring to.

You know what they say about assuming.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:16 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Oh, I completely agree and it would be nuts if he didn't return to the role, but confirmation would be nice. Remember when everyone assumed Laura Bailey would be back as Kid Trunks, but then Alexis Tipton was announced? That's all I'm referring to.

You know what they say about assuming.
Except, that's a completely different situation. Laura moved out to California years ago & has been steadily getting more work. Considering she worked on the last 2 Uncharted games for the last few years, as well as other voice acting gigs, I'm surprised she was able to come back for Kai & Battle of Gods. At least they had the benefit of estimating how many episodes TFC was gonna be, since they worked on the Z dub years ago, & Battle of Gods was an hour & a half to 2 hour movie that Trunks only spoke in for 2/3 of it or so, including his half of Gotenks. They don't know how long Super's gonna go for, so it made sense to recast him if she wasn't able to commit to it. Huber's still in Texas & still doing dubs for them, so to not assume he's back prior confirmation is just needless worrying.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Trying to keep track of things
Can someone repost the titles for 32 and 33? What's the source for locating these titles?

#34 "Piccolo vs. Frost: Stake It All on the Mankankosappo!"
#35 "Turn Your Anger Into Strength! Vegeta's Full-Bore Battle"
#32 "Matches Begin! We're All Off To the "Planet With No Name!""
#33 "Surprise, Universe 6! This Is Super Saiyan Son Goku!"

Sources:
http://adultswim.x10.mx
http://tv.twcc.com/tv/dragon-ball-super/10843531
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/dragon- ... aid=zap2it

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Trying to keep track of things
Can someone repost the titles for 32 and 33? What's the source for locating these titles?

#34 "Piccolo vs. Frost: Stake It All on the Mankankosappo!"
#35 "Turn Your Anger Into Strength! Vegeta's Full-Bore Battle"
#32 "Matches Begin! We're All Off To the "Planet With No Name!""
#33 "Surprise, Universe 6! This Is Super Saiyan Son Goku!"

Sources:
http://adultswim.x10.mx
http://tv.twcc.com/tv/dragon-ball-super/10843531
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/dragon- ... aid=zap2it
Thank you!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 am

Scsigs wrote: Again, you're talking the original Z dub. I would say DB's dub, even though it wasn't 100% with the original Japanese, it was far better than Z's, as was GT's They were far more consistent, far better acted, & decently translated & scripted for the time they were. In fact, you could go from DB to Kai & not really have many problems, I'd say. Would I like it to be far more accurate? Hell yeah. I'd love that for any anime, but it's just not going to come unless they reversion the original Dragon Ball like they did Z for Kai. I wouldn't be opposed to Goku saying "ain't," but then again, I don't care if he does or not. Peter was a fine Goku, but you can't expect people to keep doing soundalike voices forever.
Most older fans D only remember the original Z dub, which is a big shame. They're who I call the nostalgia brats. I always keep in mind that even actors in shitty dubs can be great & they shouldn't be why you'd hate a shitty dub, the scripting should.
While I like Kelamis' Goku and he sounds closer to Nozawa than Schemmel, he doesn't really sound that identical to her.

Maybe if he used this voice, he would sound identical to her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8foapEpd_cI
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:16 am

https://youtu.be/WzT6bVFVPWk

Mills as Monaka. Lmao this was hilarious :lol:

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:12 pm

EPISODE DELAYED???????????????

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:36 pm

gohan_black wrote:EPISODE DELAYED???????????????
Episodes don't air on American Holiday weekends.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 am

This is getting ridiculous!!

They should release the dvds!!

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:59 am

Hit!! wrote:This is getting ridiculous!!

No offense, but why is everyone overreacting now? Toonami has postponed episodes because of holidays for years. This isn't their first time doing this...

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:59 am

superfan2024 wrote:

No offense, but why is everyone overreacting now? Toonami has postponed episodes because of holidays for years. This isn't their first time doing this...
Exactly, you answered your own question.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 am

The impatience of some people is just crazy. It's a weekly syndicated TV program, it's gonna have weeks off. I'm a huge Hunter X Hunter fan and this means it's another week off for that dub, a dub we've been waiting over 5 years for. Yet you don't see me or any other Hunter X Hunter fan complaining. What about JoJo? That's another dub people have been waiting a while for, 3 years actually. It's going to air eventually and it's going to come to Blu Ray eventually, what's the point in getting so mad at 7 more days of waiting, 7 more days that can be predicted if you know how Toonami does things.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:57 am

Adult Swim runs marathons every five or six weeks, people need to get used to it. :roll:

If you're that impatient, just boot up your CR subscription and watch the sub :problem:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:24 am

superfan2024 wrote:

I'm guessing it hurts more now since we're in new material, either way it's whatever for me now I just hope the BDs eventually overtake.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:27 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Adult Swim runs marathons every five or six weeks, people need to get used to it. :roll:

If you're that impatient, just boot up your CR subscription and watch the sub :problem:
THE ANTICIPATION AFTER 2 RECAP ARCS TO FINALLY NEW CONTENT WITH NEW VOICES AND CHARECTERS IN ENGLISH IS HUGE.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Can't remember if this has been suggested but what about Tia Ballard as Zen-Oh? She voices Happy in Fairy Tail and Happy's JPN voice is similar to Zen-Oh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 am

Bad news guys...ep titles updated... :(

Dragon Ball Super
"Surprise, 6th Universe! This Is Super Saiyan Goku!"
Dragon Ball Super
"Piccolo vs Frost - Stake It All on the Special Beam Cannon!"

Knew it was too good to be true. Ah well.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:06 pm

We're finally gonna hear Clifford Chapin as Cabba. And Damian Mills as Monaka!

EDIT: And probably "Light Pink/Usubeni" dubbed. And it won't be the Mark De Groot version, which will be unfortunate for a lot of people.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:35 pm

It has began!
Caulifla best girl! :)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Can't remember if this has been suggested but what about Tia Ballard as Zen-Oh? She voices Happy in Fairy Tail and Happy's JPN voice is similar to Zen-Oh.
Bryn Apprill would be a good choice as well. Or perhaps Brina Palencia, which would be a fun bit of meta-casting since she also plays Chiaotzu.

I'm not as familiar with the Texas talent pool as the LA scene, so it's hard to fantasy-cast for the Super dub. When they get to the Tournament of Power arc, it's going to be "oh, I recognise that voice from MHA/Assassination Classroom" for me.