"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 15424
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby VegettoEX » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 am

We already know the FUNimation English dub cast for Universe 6. Frost was already voiced in Xenoverse 2 by Greg Ayres (Chris' brother), and unlike some of the other voices that received heavy criticism and perhaps necessitated a recast (see: Hit), Frost wasn't one of them.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| VegettoEX.com |] ::

User avatar
GodVegetto91
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:10 pm

The only voice i'm actually remotely interested in to hear in english is the Omni-King. Oh and maybe the Grand Priest and Goku Black too, but that's not for this arc. I want to hear Zeno-sama's voice!
"I'm from a much higher place than you and I've seen the truth of this world, this universe and all the things in it. I noticed the results and decided that Human beings should be destroyed. Humans are the one and only failed creation of the Gods. In order to make this world, the universe a beautiful paradise, I want to annihilate the humans on Gods' behalf, who won't admit their failure."

"You may believe it to be cruel, but it is what simply must be done, because it is my ultimate mission, to vanquish humanity in place of the gods who refuse to admit their mistake."

User avatar
Scsigs
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Son Vegito wrote:I wonder who will voice Frost now that Chris Ayres is sick. Perhaps Frieza and Frost will be voiced by the woman who did him in Z?

Um, first of all, no. They will NEVER get Linda Young back for either Frieza or Frost. Ever since Chris started voicing him, they've held to having him in the role. Plus, with the whole "Young VS Ayres" debates that keep cropping up, I'm doubting they'll wanna rock the boat any more.
Second, they already have an understudy, did you not know? Daman Mills voiced Frieza for a few lines towards the end of the arc & if Chris doesn't get better by the time they dub the arc, he'll most likely take over.
Third, did you not know it's Greg, his brother, voicing Frost? They've never had family members be voiced by the same person outside of young Goku & Gohan & young Vegeta & Trunks (in Kai). Seriously, it's been confirmed since one of the first few DLC packs came out for Xenoverse 2 that he's voicing Frost. The only recast we've had so far from the game to Super is Hit, so I'm doubting they've recasted him without letting everyone know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
gohan_black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby gohan_black » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We already know the FUNimation English dub cast for Universe 6. Frost was already voiced in Xenoverse 2 by Greg Ayres (Chris' brother), and unlike some of the other voices that received heavy criticism and perhaps necessitated a recast (see: Hit), Frost wasn't one of them.


i dident liked his voice in xenoverse 2. too childlish. he supposed to sound like frieza only little diffrent. the voice in xenoverse 2 kiddie and dident sound like frieza at all. i dont see a problem recasting chris ayers once again.

User avatar
Scsigs
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 pm

gohan_black wrote:i didn't liked his voice in Xenoverse 2. too childish. he supposed to sound like Frieza only little different. the voice in Xenoverse 2 kiddie and didn't sound like Frieza at all. i don't see a problem recasting Chris Ayers once again.

I don't get you, I really don't.
1. They only recast Ayres because he got sick & had to have major surgery done to save his life. That's it. Daman Mills also sounds almost exactly like him too, so if you hate Chris' Frieza voice, sorry, but the guy they have can sound almost exactly like him for Frieza. If you need a source, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebPM73k5U0.
2. What part of Greg as Frost sounded "childish"? As far as I can tell, he sounds almost exactly like Frieza, which he's supposed to anyways, as you can tell here: https://youtu.be/S7spLtuFnLM?t=59s. Not childish at all. Your argument makes no sense.
3. Now that I read your statement again, do you actually think Chris was supposed to voice both like the Japanese VA? No, he's not. Greg has been voicing Frost since earlier this year as a means of being a cool not to Chris. Greg's been doing some voices for DB ever since Kai & he's not gonna stop. Plus, why does Frost have to sound 100% like Frieza? He's his counterpart in U6, but he's not a clone. Having a voice that's mostly there is a great idea & having Chris' brother do it is a great choice.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
NintendoBlaze53
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

User avatar
Scsigs
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?

Unless FUNi have been holding out on us, yeah, it seems so.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7306
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?

Hasn't it been available to stream on AS website since day one.?
"You sure are strong, Lord Beerus...What do ya know...I never knew...there was..there was anyone..there was anyone out there that was that strong...so strong...so strong...beyond strong...and I don't understand..somehow..somehow I'm..somehow...somehow I'm...somehow I'm just excited, infact I have never been so excited in my entire life!"- Goku
"So a Super Saiyan who is as strong as a Super Saiyan God yet is not a Super Saiyan God but is the Super Saiyan version of that!?"- Freeza
"Look at this, is it not beautiful? If I were to give it a name matching your tastes, it would be...Rosé...Yes...Super Saiyan Rosé!"- Black
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures. Album of SSGSS shots. Album of Ultra Instinct shots. Album of SSRosé shots. Album of Vegetto Blue shots. Album of SSG shots.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1131
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Australia's anime streaming service, Animelab just added the dub of Dragon Ball Super's first 13 episodes. I believe this is the dubs first time up for legal streaming right?

Oh shit, that's awesome! I have a subscription with AnimeLab and I didn't even notice that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Kataphrut
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Kataphrut » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 am

It's funny this happens on the day my Australian Blu Ray copy arrives in the mail. Given I already have a premium subscription, I'd consider it a waste of money. I paid 55 dollarydoos for a Blu Ray box and two adorable videos of Sonny Strait and Chris Sabat teaching their daughters about Dragon Ball.

So totally worth it in other words.

User avatar
gohan_black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby gohan_black » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:i didn't liked his voice in Xenoverse 2. too childish. he supposed to sound like Frieza only little different. the voice in Xenoverse 2 kiddie and didn't sound like Frieza at all. i don't see a problem recasting Chris Ayers once again.

I don't get you, I really don't.
1. They only recast Ayres because he got sick & had to have major surgery done to save his life. That's it. Daman Mills also sounds almost exactly like him too, so if you hate Chris' Frieza voice, sorry, but the guy they have can sound almost exactly like him for Frieza. If you need a source, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebPM73k5U0.
2. What part of Greg as Frost sounded "childish"? As far as I can tell, he sounds almost exactly like Frieza, which he's supposed to anyways, as you can tell here: https://youtu.be/S7spLtuFnLM?t=59s. Not childish at all. Your argument makes no sense.
3. Now that I read your statement again, do you actually think Chris was supposed to voice both like the Japanese VA? No, he's not. Greg has been voicing Frost since earlier this year as a means of being a cool not to Chris. Greg's been doing some voices for DB ever since Kai & he's not gonna stop. Plus, why does Frost have to sound 100% like Frieza? He's his counterpart in U6, but he's not a clone. Having a voice that's mostly there is a great idea & having Chris' brother do it is a great choice.


there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me

User avatar
Tian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Tian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:i didn't liked his voice in Xenoverse 2. too childish. he supposed to sound like Frieza only little different. the voice in Xenoverse 2 kiddie and didn't sound like Frieza at all. i don't see a problem recasting Chris Ayers once again.

I don't get you, I really don't.
1. They only recast Ayres because he got sick & had to have major surgery done to save his life. That's it. Daman Mills also sounds almost exactly like him too, so if you hate Chris' Frieza voice, sorry, but the guy they have can sound almost exactly like him for Frieza. If you need a source, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebPM73k5U0.
2. What part of Greg as Frost sounded "childish"? As far as I can tell, he sounds almost exactly like Frieza, which he's supposed to anyways, as you can tell here: https://youtu.be/S7spLtuFnLM?t=59s. Not childish at all. Your argument makes no sense.
3. Now that I read your statement again, do you actually think Chris was supposed to voice both like the Japanese VA? No, he's not. Greg has been voicing Frost since earlier this year as a means of being a cool not to Chris. Greg's been doing some voices for DB ever since Kai & he's not gonna stop. Plus, why does Frost have to sound 100% like Frieza? He's his counterpart in U6, but he's not a clone. Having a voice that's mostly there is a great idea & having Chris' brother do it is a great choice.


there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me


Daman Mills is an understudy for Freeza in case Chris Ayres is not able to voice him.
And here's where I'd put my signature...IF I HAD ONE!

User avatar
Scsigs
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 pm

gohan_black wrote:there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me

That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Your saying his voice for Frost is "childish" is what I don't get. It sounds perfectly fine for him. Daman is his understudy who'll do his best to reproduce Chris' Frieza voice in the future if he can't come back, so get used to it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7306
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am

FUNi's December solicits go up today, fingers crossed for Super Part 3!
"You sure are strong, Lord Beerus...What do ya know...I never knew...there was..there was anyone..there was anyone out there that was that strong...so strong...so strong...beyond strong...and I don't understand..somehow..somehow I'm..somehow...somehow I'm...somehow I'm just excited, infact I have never been so excited in my entire life!"- Goku
"So a Super Saiyan who is as strong as a Super Saiyan God yet is not a Super Saiyan God but is the Super Saiyan version of that!?"- Freeza
"Look at this, is it not beautiful? If I were to give it a name matching your tastes, it would be...Rosé...Yes...Super Saiyan Rosé!"- Black
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures. Album of SSGSS shots. Album of Ultra Instinct shots. Album of SSRosé shots. Album of Vegetto Blue shots. Album of SSG shots.

User avatar
gohan_black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby gohan_black » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me

That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Your saying his voice for Frost is "childish" is what I don't get. It sounds perfectly fine for him. Daman is his understudy who'll do his best to reproduce Chris' Frieza voice in the future if he can't come back, so get used to it.


once again. its an OPINION

User avatar
Scsigs
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:there is nothing to get. this is my personal opinion. i just dont like it. his voice in xenoverse 2 was too childlish for me and thats it. it sound like kid frieza. frost is an adult. i dont know who damian mills is. i know that greg ayers did the voice in xenoverse 2. he dosent good enough for me

That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Your saying his voice for Frost is "childish" is what I don't get. It sounds perfectly fine for him. Daman is his understudy who'll do his best to reproduce Chris' Frieza voice in the future if he can't come back, so get used to it.


once again. its an OPINION

Once again, it doesn't make sense to me, so I don't get it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 2560
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Look its his opinion, take it or leave it, but he wont change it. Please understand as others have understood yours.


Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.

mecha3000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby mecha3000 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Look its his opinion, take it or leave it, but he wont change it. Please understand as others have understood yours.


Yeah, I feel the same way. People need to understand that not everyone thinks the same and we all have differing views on what we like, but that's what makes us fans. I routinely look through these posts and find sarcastic or rude replies from certain members when they find people aren't on the same page as them. It's really unnecessary over something that's essentially just a cartoon. In fact, I like Dragon Ball GT! Just wanted to end on a random opinion that most don't agree with to show that I can have my own opinion (Side note: I like some of Dragon Ball GT, not all).

Also, mad that Funimation is seemingly not going to release Super Part 3 until January. I'd prefer for the Blu-ray sets to be ahead of the broadcast like the old days, but I guess Funi is emulating Japan's "one episode a week anticipation rule" and they also want to capitalize off Super as long as they can because they don't know how long it will run for. It just sucks in this age of binge-watching that we have to wait when back in the day, Toonami aired four episodes a week. It's whatever though. Seems like the schedule I made below is now how they're going to be doing it for a while (I have no life).

Dragon Ball Super: Part 3 (Ep. 27-40 releasing January 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 4 (Ep. 41-54 releasing April 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 5 (Ep. 55-68 releasing July 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 6 (69-82 releasing October 2018)
Dragon Ball Super: Part 7 (Ep. 83-96 releasing January 2019)

This pretty much means the broadcast will ALWAYS be ahead, sigh.

User avatar
Scsigs
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 am

mecha3000 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Look its his opinion, take it or leave it, but he wont change it. Please understand as others have understood yours.

Yeah, I feel the same way. People need to understand that not everyone thinks the same and we all have differing views on what we like, but that's what makes us fans. I routinely look through these posts and find sarcastic or rude replies from certain members when they find people aren't on the same page as them. It's really unnecessary over something that's essentially just a cartoon. In fact, I like Dragon Ball GT! Just wanted to end on a random opinion that most don't agree with to show that I can have my own opinion (Side note: I like some of Dragon Ball GT, not all).

GT has some decent ideas, good animation, & a good ending, but I feel it really starts to go down hill at the tail end of the Baby Saga when Goku gets stranded in the mood-whiplashy-as-hell random filler involving that stupid extra-dimensional board game that was nothing but filler. After that, the writing takes a bit of a hit in quality after it improved after the hunt for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

As for that guy's opinion, for all your protesting about understanding other opinions, you guys aren't understanding my point of view either. I said I don't get his opinion, not that I care if he has it. It makes absolutely no sense to me because I simply just don't hear it. Yeah, it's different from Chris' Frieza, but it's not bad, or "childish" by any means. I just don't see it because I don't hear it whatsoever.
Not only that, but I just don't get how anyone can't like Chris Ayres' Frieza voice (even if you prefer Linda Young). He's just as good as Little Kuriboh, who's damn good in DBZA as him. He's just so deliciously evil & maniacal, a much-needed improvement from Linda Young, who never fit in the role no matter the scripting or direction. You can have whatever opinion you want, the reasoning just has to be clear & make sense, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
gohan_black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby gohan_black » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:18 am

Scsigs wrote:
gohan_black wrote:
Scsigs wrote:That's why paying attention to previous conversations in threads you post in is important.
Your saying his voice for Frost is "childish" is what I don't get. It sounds perfectly fine for him. Daman is his understudy who'll do his best to reproduce Chris' Frieza voice in the future if he can't come back, so get used to it.


once again. its an OPINION

Once again, it doesn't make sense to me, so I don't get it.


i dont know how to explain to you in words why his voice sound childlish but it does. now. damian mills voice however. yeah i can see it working. but greg ayers voice sound like a kid


Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Black Hawk, Google Adsense [Bot], HeroR, Kenneth La Torre, Michsi, SeniorMaj, sintzu and 20 guests