"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bang Zoom Dragon Ball Super Dub

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 am

noham-el wrote:Hm, guys... Who is Dana Hayes? (Goten, according to ToonamiFaithful) 'Cuz, for Google and IMDb... well... https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Dana+Hayes

She's certainly a nice lady, but Bang Zoom! choices becomes a bit too literal i think.
If that's not an alias, I'm now scared... :o

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:26 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: DBZ_Lee recently reached to BZ and they said it's only going to air in Asia and India, so I think she is mistaken.

Edit- Erika said they don't even have access to the dub! Welp. Down to the folks in Asia!
Well, Goku's actor mentioned Europe (later?)...
Kirby Morrow said the Ocean dub of Kai was being produced for Europe but the primary English-speaking countries used the Funimation dub. There's no guarantee countries like the UK and Ireland will not air the Funimation dub (That is, if our networks can get over the mindset of Super being "too violent").
My theory on this is that if a Turner owned channel such as Cartoon Network UK (or better yet, a resurrected Toonami UK) were to announce Super, we'd see the BZ dub being broadcasted in the UK. If that happens we might also see Ocean dub of Kai since Turner likely own that too.

If a smaller channel such as Kix were to acquire the broadcast rights instead then they'd likely have to go through Toei who would, in turn, give them the Funimation dub (as they did before). In the end I don't think any of this will happen though as, for some reason, Turner seem to be dead set against airing anime in the UK whilst Kix have already lost the rights and either aren't interested in Dragon Ball anymore or just simply aren't able to acquire the rights from Toei again.

As for Australia getting the BZ dub, I think it's possible, especially since South Africa is now getting the BZ dub on CN. In the past, English speaking territories outside of the UK, Netherlands and Canada were in a similar situation to Australia in terms of which dub was broadcast and what DVDs were released. I believe Australia, New Zealand and South Africa all got the Funimation dub on television unlike the Euro and Canadian territories. In Super's case I think it would most likely depend on if the channel is owned by Turner themselves. That being said, Australia could also have a deal similar to Toonami (US) which grants priority to the Funimation dub.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:41 am

NitroEX wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
sangofe wrote: Well, Goku's actor mentioned Europe (later?)...
Kirby Morrow said the Ocean dub of Kai was being produced for Europe but the primary English-speaking countries used the Funimation dub. There's no guarantee countries like the UK and Ireland will not air the Funimation dub (That is, if our networks can get over the mindset of Super being "too violent").
My theory on this is that if a Turner owned channel such as Cartoon Network UK (or better yet, a resurrected Toonami UK) were to announce Super, we'd see the BZ dub being broadcasted in the UK. If that happens we might also see Ocean dub of Kai since Turner likely own that too.

If a smaller channel such as Kix were to acquire the broadcast rights instead then they'd likely have to go through Toei who would, in turn, give them the Funimation dub (as they did before). In the end I don't think any of this will happen though as, for some reason, Turner seem to be dead set against airing anime in the UK whilst Kix have already lost the rights and either aren't interested in Dragon Ball anymore or just simply aren't able to acquire the rights from Toei again.

As for Australia getting the BZ dub, I think it's possible, especially since South Africa is now getting the BZ dub on CN. In the past, English speaking territories outside of the UK, Netherlands and Canada were in a similar situation to Australia in terms of which dub was broadcast and what DVDs were released. I believe Australia, New Zealand and South Africa all got the Funimation dub on television unlike the Euro and Canadian territories. In Super's case I think it would most likely depend on if the channel is owned by Turner themselves. That being said, Australia could also have a deal similar to Toonami (US) which grants priority to the Funimation dub.
When's the BZ dub starting in South Africa?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:05 am

sangofe wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Kirby Morrow said the Ocean dub of Kai was being produced for Europe but the primary English-speaking countries used the Funimation dub. There's no guarantee countries like the UK and Ireland will not air the Funimation dub (That is, if our networks can get over the mindset of Super being "too violent").

I'd like to know too. Was doing some digging a few days ago about Africa and DBS didn't get anything.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sangofe wrote:
NitroEX wrote: My theory on this is that if a Turner owned channel such as Cartoon Network UK (or better yet, a resurrected Toonami UK) were to announce Super, we'd see the BZ dub being broadcasted in the UK. If that happens we might also see Ocean dub of Kai since Turner likely own that too.

I'd like to know too. Was doing some digging a few days ago about Africa and DBS didn't get anything.
I think some guy in this very thread who has links with guys working over at turner international talked about it last week or so!!! I would love if bang zoom gets bigger audience.. Since i am sure that even with entire asia broadcast it wont draw anywhere near attention which USA, Canada, france or brazil gives to dragon ball!!!

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:18 am

hulkedoutdude wrote: I think some guy in this very thread who has links with guys working over at turner international talked about it last week or so!!! I would love if bang zoom gets bigger audience.. Since i am sure that even with entire asia broadcast it wont draw anywhere near attention which USA, Canada, france or brazil gives to dragon ball!!!
It will at least have more attention than in Brazil since currently Super is not airing there.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:30 am

hulkedoutdude wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sangofe wrote:
I think some guy in this very thread who has links with guys working over at turner international talked about it last week or so!!! I would love if bang zoom gets bigger audience.. Since i am sure that even with entire asia broadcast it wont draw anywhere near attention which USA, Canada, france or brazil gives to dragon ball!!!
This the closest bit of news I found:
"No official statement yet from Cartoon Network Africa, but Toei Animation Europe states that Dragon Ball Super is expected to begin on Cartoon Network in South Africa (DSTV channel 301) around mid 2017."
I think Africa is what the VA's mean by European airing since Toei EU are responsible for that part. But nothing on what dub will be shown and I highly doubt it'd get much attention there anyway as I asked Derek Padula about the history of Z in Africa and he said there wasn't much information. If the BZ dub airs somewhere in Europe proper then I think that'll be the best chance we and the voice actors have of seeing/hearing the dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Kirby Morrow said the Ocean dub of Kai was being produced for Europe but the primary English-speaking countries used the Funimation dub. There's no guarantee countries like the UK and Ireland will not air the Funimation dub (That is, if our networks can get over the mindset of Super being "too violent").
Wasn't the Ocean dub only completed in 2013? If so, it would make sense why Funi's dub was used.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:50 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote: I think some guy in this very thread who has links with guys working over at turner international talked about it last week or so!!! I would love if bang zoom gets bigger audience.. Since i am sure that even with entire asia broadcast it wont draw anywhere near attention which USA, Canada, france or brazil gives to dragon ball!!!
It will at least have more attention than in Brazil since currently Super is not airing there.
Haha that's true but i was talking dragon Ball as franchise in general though!!!

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:56 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I'd like to know too. Was doing some digging a few days ago about Africa and DBS didn't get anything.
This the closest bit of news I found:
"No official statement yet from Cartoon Network Africa, but Toei Animation Europe states that Dragon Ball Super is expected to begin on Cartoon Network in South Africa (DSTV channel 301) around mid 2017."
I think Africa is what the VA's mean by European airing since Toei EU are responsible for that part. But nothing on what dub will be shown and I highly doubt it'd get much attention there anyway as I asked Derek Padula about the history of Z in Africa and he said there wasn't much information. If the BZ dub airs somewhere in Europe proper then I think that'll be the best chance we and the voice actors have of seeing/hearing the dub.
Yeah if it aired in Europeit would have been easily accessible (not sure about Africa) ... Or atleast if it aired in India I knew some folks who could do it (they record Hindi dub a lot though)!!! I'll try my best requesting in anime FB groups where there are lot of Asian anime fans, may be some guy would record it... After seeing cast list my curiosity has grown 10 folds lol

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sangofe wrote: When's the BZ dub starting in South Africa?
Well, according to DBZ_Lee, who received his information from "a reliable source from Turner Asia."
DBZ_Lee wrote:I am now able to shed a little light on this dub. It is the property of Turner Networks, and therefor, if any Turner owned station wishes to use it in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) region, they will be welcome to do so.

This will be the dub that airs on Cartoon Network Africa later this year.
Because there aren't many other English speaking territories in the region, they may want to use this dub to help them translate into their native language.

No Turner Channel has picked the show up for UK broadcast (if they had have done so, it would have been this dub).
Although the dub is owned by Turner, in theory, they can sublicense it out if other Networks requested to use it.
Now, also consider this statement from Toei themselves which predated the announcement of Funimation's dub;
http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1731
Toei News wrote:(Monday 10TH October 2016)
Toei Animation Europe has secured a range of broadcast deals on behalf of Dragon Ball Super, the long-awaited follow-up series to the global anime phenomenon. Beginning between the Fall 2016 and Winter 2017, Dragon Ball Super will air in France on TURNER’s new kids network, Toonami; in Italy on Italia 1 and Italia 2; in Spain on Boing; and in English-speaking Africa on Cartoon Network.
The series has already launched this September in Israel on Nickelodeon and in Portugal on SIC.
At the time of this announcement we only knew of Toonami Asia's English version (which turned out to be Bang Zoom) so it was assumed that this would be the dub Africa would use. It's also important to note that this will be broadcast on Cartoon Network (Africa) which is a Turner owned network. From a business perspective it'll likely be cheaper for them to use it in that region rather than outsource the dub from Funimation.

The only factor that (I think) could stop the BZ dub from being broadcast in South Africa would be Toei Europe's involvement. We know that they previously forced UK channel Kix to use Funimation's Kai dub so they may do the same here, however since this is a big company like Turner and a major network like CN (and not a small channel like Kix), I doubt Toei would have as much influence this time.

Obviously Toonami and Adult Swim (US) are all Turner networks and they do air the Funimation versions however I believe they are the exception. Either way, I think it's safer to assume that South Africa will air the BZ dub so that fans over there are prepared to record it in the event that it does air.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm

We have two voice actors from the HG dub returning. Could anyone else from the Final Bout dub return besides Lex Lang? Kevin Seymour is dead, so we will never see him voice Freeza and Buu again (I do think his voice for Freeza was way ahead of its time).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:We have two voice actors from the HG dub returning. Could anyone else from the Final Bout dub return besides Lex Lang? Kevin Seymour is dead, so we will never see him voice Freeza and Buu again (I do think his voice for Freeza was way ahead of its time).
Dan Woren is still very active. Brianne Siddall shows up here and there as well. I wouldn't expect anyone else to come back.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote: Dan Woren is still very active. Brianne Siddall shows up here and there as well. I wouldn't expect anyone else to come back.
Last I heard Brianne Siddall suffered a terrible accident that required surgery to her spine and neck. Her IMDB page seems to indicate she's been working these past few years but I do wonder if her health would even allow her to come back for a vocally stressful anime like Dragon Ball.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote: Dan Woren is still very active. Brianne Siddall shows up here and there as well. I wouldn't expect anyone else to come back.
Last I heard Brianne Siddall suffered a terrible accident that required surgery to her spine and neck. Her IMDB page seems to indicate she's been working these past few years but I do wonder if her health would even allow her to come back for a vocally stressful anime like Dragon Ball.
It's not like there are a whole lot of intense female-voiced roles in Super. If she's working at all she would be fine for just some random minor characters if she ends up in the series.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 am

Btw at beginning of this thread i saw some of you guys mentioning that toonami asia has licensed 52 episodes and funi has 26 episodes for dub !!!! where did you guys get that info from??

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:40 am

hulkedoutdude wrote:Btw at beginning of this thread i saw some of you guys mentioning that toonami asia has licensed 52 episodes and funi has 26 episodes for dub !!!! where did you guys get that info from??
To the best of my recollection, Turner Broadcasting System allegedly announced Dragon Ball Super for its Toonami block. I lack the source for that, if it even exists. I believe IGN reported Dragon Ball Super's episodes in North America, too. Again, I don't bookmark those articles so you're justified in doubting my claims.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:08 am

hulkedoutdude wrote:Btw at beginning of this thread i saw some of you guys mentioning that toonami asia has licensed 52 episodes and funi has 26 episodes for dub !!!! where did you guys get that info from??
Turner does have connections with Toei Europe, and Toei Europe is already selling the second batch of episodes (27-52) so I guess it's probably from that line of thought.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:25 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
Turner does have connections with Toei Europe, and Toei Europe is already selling the second batch of episodes (27-52) so I guess it's probably from that line of thought.
The 52 first episodes have been dubbed in french already for what it's worth.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 am

sangofe wrote:
Gafonso6 wrote:
The 52 first episodes have been dubbed in french already for what it's worth.
Ohh that's great I guess, toonami asia is airing 2 new episodes every week so i would be surprised if they don't have at least that many episodes under their belt!!!