"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:39 am

Scsigs wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:Anyone else who uses VRV notice that Funimation now has their version of Super up? Or has it been there and I just never noticed?
You talking about the dub?
Shit, I think i mistook this thread as the official discussion thread.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:I don't think it was ever gonna happen anyway. Remember how Toei shut out the TFS scene in Kai's dub? Casting a TFS voice as the official character is arguably taking that even farther.
You left out the fact that KaiserNeko did Additional voices for Resurrection F and as well Justin Briner (Teen Gohan in DBZA) voices Kid Vegeta in the Funi dub of Super.
You're talking about situations where two actors play tiny bit parts completely unrelated to their abridged roles. This would be casting an abridged actor as the exact same character in the real show who also happens to be a major antagonist. I don't think Toei would have put up with it.
And yet they don't disapprove General Ivan/Chris Guerrero voicing Gecko Moria in One Piece after he voiced Gero & Metal Cooler in DBZA.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:
EnergizerConvoy wrote: You left out the fact that KaiserNeko did Additional voices for Resurrection F and as well Justin Briner (Teen Gohan in DBZA) voices Kid Vegeta in the Funi dub of Super.
You're talking about situations where two actors play tiny bit parts completely unrelated to their abridged roles. This would be casting an abridged actor as the exact same character in the real show who also happens to be a major antagonist. I don't think Toei would have put up with it.
And yet they don't disapprove General Ivan/Chris Guerrero voicing Gecko Moria in One Piece after he voiced Gero & Metal Cooler in DBZA.
Different character, different franchise.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote: You're talking about situations where two actors play tiny bit parts completely unrelated to their abridged roles. This would be casting an abridged actor as the exact same character in the real show who also happens to be a major antagonist. I don't think Toei would have put up with it.
Same companies producing both, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote: And yet they don't disapprove General Ivan/Chris Guerrero voicing Gecko Moria in One Piece after he voiced Gero & Metal Cooler in DBZA.
Same companies producing both, though.
I agree with Nightmare Wheel, that's probably why there is no problem with that
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:10 am

I asked Derek Stephen Prince if he could post video like this https://www.facebook.com/Derek.Stephen. ... 462537672/ but using his frieza voice, There is no other way to obtain clips of frieza (bz dub) anyway so if he do end up posting something like that, it would be fun I guess!!

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:55 pm

https://www.facebook.com/Derek.Stephen. ... 852438033/

He did his interpretation of Freeza here.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:01 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:https://www.facebook.com/Derek.Stephen. ... 852438033/

I mean, I can't properly judge it because it's not within the show, but I'm not a fan of it
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:21 pm

I'll leave my full thoughts until I watch a full episode or even a few, but based on this snippet alone, it's serviceable. The sinister edge to Freeza is still there but it lacks the eloquence of Chris Ayres, and even Damon Mills.

Hopefully we will one day get a similar portrayal snippet from Lee Tockar.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Much better than Daman Mills that's for sure. What I like is that he has the charisma of Chris, but puts his own spin on it.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 pm

I think first version sounds pretty good actually it's somewhere in-between Christopher and Nakao's take on frieza and i believe it would work wonders for frieza's character in actual episode but golden frieza version sounds bit iffy, even though he sounds great i don't know if it would work for frieza!! However like everyone i'll leave my full judgement after seeing actual episodes... For now considering the fact that he is not in usual recording environment it sounds great!!

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:47 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Much better than Daman Mills that's for sure. What I like is that he has the charisma of Chris, but puts his own spin on it.
Gonna have to heavily disagree there, Mills is much better at capturing Ayres' charisma than Prince is from what I've heard

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:27 am

Though we need to actually see the episodes to make a full judgement.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 pm

He said "Son Goku" in the audition line?
SOLD.

Jokes aside, the normal voice was fine but I didn't really care for the Golden Freeza voice. I've heard worse (*cough*Linda Young*cough*), but it just sounded a bit 'meh.'
Even if I don't care much for the FUNI dub in general, I'll happily concede on the part of Chris Ayers being perfect for an English Freeza, as I think he's about as close as you can get without dragging Nakao over here and teaching him English.
Still lookin' super excited to seeing more of this dub, and as others have said, it's tough to judge it all on a few lines.

Plus, it's always cool when VAs do this kinda thing for the fans.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

I'll leave my full thoughts until I watch a full episode or even a few, but based on this snippet alone, it's serviceable. The sinister edge to Freeza is still there but it lacks the eloquence of Chris Ayres, and even Damon Mills.

Hopefully we will one day get a similar portrayal snippet from Lee Tockar.
Someone could ask him on his Facebook to do Frieza.

Anyway, his voice for Golden Frieza reminds me of Chris Latta's Cobra Commander.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 pm

A buddy of mine went to a convention today where Ray Chase (voice of Piccolo, Oolong, and Tenshinhan) was present. I passed along to him to ask how far along Bang Zoom! is regarding the production of Super since I was curious about that.

Apparently, the Bang Zoom! crew have only done 27 episodes. Not to pass anything off as fact, but this could still mean a turn in dubs.

If Toonami Asia wasn't using any of FUNimation's work, I would think not. But the fact that they're proudly presenting Dragon Ball Kai with the FUNimation dub (7 days a week I might add) could mean that FUNimation still has some influence in that territory and could persuade Cartoon Network and Turner to drop the Bang Zoom! dub and use theirs.

I could be wrong on this, but it just seems weird to me.

Oh, by the way, Ray Chase appreciates anybody who's watching or is at least aware of the Bang Zoom! dub.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm pretty sure they've been showing Funi Kai since before the Bang Zoom dub was even a thing. If they aren't using Funi Super by now they're probably sticking with Bang Zoom in the foreseeable future.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 am

Yeah the re-run from #14 will begin again next week so them only dubbing 27 eps definitely is accurate.
Nightmare Wheel wrote:I'm pretty sure they've been showing Funi Kai since before the Bang Zoom dub was even a thing. If they aren't using Funi Super by now they're probably sticking with Bang Zoom in the foreseeable future.
Toonami Asia have licensed 52 episodes, so presumably that's how far the BZ will dub up too. If there is gonna be a change it'll happen after that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:29 am

I assume Bang Zoom are obligated to dub 52 episodes. The situation with this dub is not too dissimilar from Ocean Kai (which had 98 episodes dubbed because theoretically they licenced the same number of episodes Funimation did before The Final Chapters) only with more luck in terms of getting a TV deal.

Hopefully someone out there managed to record the Resurrection F, I'm still curious to see Bang Zoom's version now that Funimation's is done and dusted.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 am

That Golden Freeza reminds me of Lee Tockar in the Hulk VG.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.