"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 am

Someone tweeted me that Tom Baur voices Tagoma in this dub & wanted me to relay that info to those who care on here.
https://twitter.com/MammaMiaNotter/stat ... 9349519360
Don't know why me specifically, but message delivered, I guess. Do with that what you will.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 am

Confirmation from Tom Bauer
https://twitter.com/TomBauerVO/status/8 ... 6750090240

Doug Erholtz‏ (voice of Whis) posted a photo of his recording session, Turner International Asia Pacific Limited (TIAPL) initials are displayed on the footage.
https://twitter.com/DougErholtz/status/ ... 5084689408

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:03 am

Judging by the date on Erholtz' tweet with the picture, it seems like episodes for the dub are recorded just a few weeks before airing. That may be explain the shoddy quality like poor scriptwriting and mixing. Judging by Daman Mills' understudy lines that he did for Frieza in the FUNi dub for Episodes 26 and 27, and the time when Ayres first went into the hospital, the FUNi dub episodes are recorded 3 to 5 months before they air. I understand that both sides are going to need different scheduling due to how their respective channels show the show in the first place, but that type of rushed production on Bang Zoom's side isn't good
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm

TheAldella wrote:That Golden Freeza reminds me of Lee Tockar in the Hulk VG.
It kind of does sound like Tockar's Half-Life. Both would be great voices for Cobra Commander and Starscream.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:53 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Judging by the date on Erholtz' tweet with the picture, it seems like episodes for the dub are recorded just a few weeks before airing. That may be explain the shoddy quality like poor scriptwriting and mixing. Judging by Daman Mills' understudy lines that he did for Frieza in the FUNi dub for Episodes 26 and 27, and the time when Ayres first went into the hospital, the FUNi dub episodes are recorded 3 to 5 months before they air. I understand that both sides are going to need different scheduling due to how their respective channels show the show in the first place, but that type of rushed production on Bang Zoom's side isn't good
I really don't think this dub was intended as a serious competitor to Funimation's version. It was most likely commissioned by TOEI to make up for some of the revenue lost by a delayed English dub as was the case with Kai 2.0. The episodes are most likely made to be adequate and give Super airtime in English-speaking countries. Although with the Funimation dub out and doing well that seems like a moot point. I'm still happy to watch along as I enjoy comparing dubs and hearing different takes on the same characters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Judging by the date on Erholtz' tweet with the picture, it seems like episodes for the dub are recorded just a few weeks before airing. That may be explain the shoddy quality like poor scriptwriting and mixing. Judging by Daman Mills' understudy lines that he did for Frieza in the FUNi dub for Episodes 26 and 27, and the time when Ayres first went into the hospital, the FUNi dub episodes are recorded 3 to 5 months before they air. I understand that both sides are going to need different scheduling due to how their respective channels show the show in the first place, but that type of rushed production on Bang Zoom's side isn't good
I really don't think this dub was intended as a serious competitor to Funimation's version. It was most likely commissioned by TOEI to make up for some of the revenue lost by a delayed English dub as was the case with Kai 2.0. The episodes are most likely made to be adequate and give Super airtime in English-speaking countries. Although with the Funimation dub out and doing well that seems like a moot point. I'm still happy to watch along as I enjoy comparing dubs and hearing different takes on the same characters.
The dub was commissioned by Cartoon Network's parent company Turner. I would guess they did it to have a Super dub under their full egal control that could be shown in any region anytime without going through a middle man.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:34 pm

This whole situation more or less is due to a lack of communication between Toei branches and or poor planning. Toonami Asia were originally supposed to air July 16 but that didn't happen cuz Toei USA and FUNi hadn't struck a deal yet thus no dub to air so Turner had a mess on their hands they and or the responsible Toei branch probably went around looking for another dubbing company and presumably that's where they contracted BZ then surprise surprise that would take time and Toonami Asia finally aired in Jan 17 but guess what in between all that FUNi licensed the show and also aired in January as we all know... Well done Toei gg.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
This whole situation more or less is due to a lack of communication between Toei branches and or poor planning. Toonami Asia were originally supposed to air July 16 but that didn't happen cuz Toei USA and FUNi hadn't struck a deal yet thus no dub to air so Turner had a mess on their hands they and or the responsible Toei branch probably went around looking for another dubbing company and presumably that's where they contracted BZ then surprise surprise that would take time and Toonami Asia finally aired in Jan 17 but guess what in between all that FUNi licensed the show and also aired in January as we all know... Well done Toei gg.
FUNi was never involved with the Toonami Asia dub, they denied any involvement with it back when it was first announced. They probably wanted FUNi's dub to be the English language premiere rather than BZ's so that's probably why production on the dub and the initial premiere date were pushed back
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
It really goes to show TOEI dug themselves into a hole by insisting on TV deals for everything and not moving with the times. If they looked at other options Funimation could have had their dub of The Final Chapters out sooner, which would by extension mean less time and hassle for them licensing Super and Turner being able to sell their dub to Toonami Asia.

Nonetheless, I have few problems with this dub and enjoy it for what it, and especially things like McConnohie's King Kai so maybe there are redeeming aspects of TOEI's short-sightedness.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 am

Looks like we found out who's the voice director for this dub. It's Julie Kliewer, better known as Julie Maddalena.
http://adinrudd.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... Resume.pdf
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:30 pm

God I hope she wont get harrassed.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:57 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:God I hope she wont get harrassed.
Me too.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 pm

According to TAI, Dragon ball super apparently started airing on cartoon network india starting yesterday.. He didn't confirm if it was BZ or funi dub but he said he will be recording it once episode 14 starts!!
Follow TAI for more info on this..

Thesagebeast

Post by Thesagebeast » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:45 am

hulkedoutdude wrote:According to TAI, Dragon ball super apparently started airing on cartoon network india starting yesterday.. He didn't confirm if it was BZ or funi dub but he said he will be recording it once episode 14 starts!!
Who is this tai

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:28 am

Thesagebeast wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:According to TAI, Dragon ball super apparently started airing on cartoon network india starting yesterday.. He didn't confirm if it was BZ or funi dub but he said he will be recording it once episode 14 starts!!
Who is this tai
Toon Anime India. They recorded the previous episodes.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:37 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
Thesagebeast wrote:
Who is this tai
Anything new here?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:22 pm

sangofe wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
Thesagebeast wrote: Who is this tai
Anything new here?
Not as far as I know. It's a shame, too, because I rather enjoyed this dub even if I prefer the Funimation version. Lang was really starting to get better as Goku IMO and I really wanted to hear Prince's take on Freeza.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:34 am

sangofe wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
Thesagebeast wrote: Who is this tai
Anything new here?
CNI pulled it off air after episode 9 it seems, It was pretty much expected since there was absolutely no advertising done for it and they even aired it in place of other programme..
It might return to CNI but this time properly, Till then we have to wait I guess!!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:50 am

hulkedoutdude wrote:
sangofe wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
Anything new here?
CNI pulled it off air after episode 9 it seems, It was pretty much expected since there was absolutely no advertising done for it and they even aired it in place of other programme..
It might return to CNI but this time properly, Till then we have to wait I guess!!
Or it was cancelled...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Toon Anime India just said on their Facebook page Dragon Ball Super is back airing on weekends with 2 episodes a day, they didn't specify which dub it is but said that any new episodes of the Bang Zoom dub will be recorded as they air.