"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2045
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Another time and place...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Robo4900 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:"FUNimation Entertainment announced on Friday that it has entered into a multi-year agreement with Toei Animation to license Dragon Ball Super in the United States and Canada. The license covers streaming, digital download, home video distribution, broadcast opportunities, and merchandising."

Yes. Funimation own a license to stream Super on FunimationNow, they own a license to provide digital downloads, they own a license to produce home video, they own a license to produce a dub and air it on TV, and they own a license to put out merch.
They don't have an exclusive thing that means no one else can do any of those things, they just have the license to do those things. It's up to Toei whether or not anyone else can get a license to do it too.
Alex Steacy wrote:We're not on this asteroid for very long; let's try to be nice to one another.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Nia wrote:Best English dub of Dragon Ball we've had since the Ocean dub of the first three movies by far, despite some of the typical dubisms and the censorship.

Gotta disagree there. The best English dub for me still remains to be Ocean Dubs Z Episodes 1-53 and Movies 1-3, FUNimation has finally caught up with their Kai dub but it's pretty hard to top the masterpiece work done by Ocean Dub. Of course, it's my opinion.

If the FUNimation Kai dub didn't have Colleen Clinkenbeard I'd probably be more of a fan of it but I can't stand Clinkenbeard's Gohan/Goku, she just makes Gohan sound so annoying like a whiny teen girl and also with a glimpse of FUNi's Luffi.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
Nia
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Nia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Nia wrote:Best English dub of Dragon Ball we've had since the Ocean dub of the first three movies by far, despite some of the typical dubisms and the censorship.

Gotta disagree there. The best English dub for me still remains to be Ocean Dubs Z Episodes 1-53 and Movies 1-3, FUNimation has finally caught up with their Kai dub but it's pretty hard to top the masterpiece work done by Ocean Dub. Of course, it's my opinion.

If the FUNimation Kai dub didn't have Colleen Clinkenbeard I'd probably be more of a fan of it but I can't stand Clinkenbeard's Gohan/Goku, she just makes Gohan sound so annoying like a whiny teen girl and also with a glimpse of FUNi's Luffi.


Oh, don't misunderstand. I still think the Ocean dubs of movies 1-3 are better. I don't think anything will ever be on the level of that unless maybe Ocean Kai finally comes out, but even then it's gonna be hard to match what they and Pioneer managed. Let's hope someday we get the chance to see it.

User avatar
Scsigs
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:12 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Nia wrote:Best English dub of Dragon Ball we've had since the Ocean dub of the first three movies by far, despite some of the typical dubisms and the censorship.

Gotta disagree there. The best English dub for me still remains to be Ocean Dubs Z Episodes 1-53 and Movies 1-3, FUNimation has finally caught up with their Kai dub but it's pretty hard to top the masterpiece work done by Ocean Dub. Of course, it's my opinion.

If the FUNimation Kai dub didn't have Colleen Clinkenbeard I'd probably be more of a fan of it but I can't stand Clinkenbeard's Gohan/Goku, she just makes Gohan sound so annoying like a whiny teen girl and also with a glimpse of FUNi's Luffy.

Well, her Gohan voice is an aged-down Luffy, which she also uses for when Luffy's a child in One Piece. To her credit, though, Gohan being whiny isn't her fault. I thought similar things about Bulma being a bitch because of her newest VA. Then I realized that it's in the source material, she was just following the script & Sabat's direction. Colleen's performance is the same, but ultimately worse in my opinion because it's such a departure from Nadolny's Gohan, which sounded better to my ears. Her Goku's just as annoying, but what's weird is that in Xenoverse, she makes both sound more like Luffy by deepening the voice a bit, so I don't find them as annoying as in the anime. I really wish we had a definitive answer as to why Nadolny didn't come back for Kai. The most I've read is that there was a dispute between her & Sabat as to how she should play Gohan, so that's why she didn't come back. Yet when I try to find confirmation of this, I find absolutely nothing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Honestly, I'm glad they replaced Nadolny with Colleen for Kai. Nadolny was too raspy for an innocent character like Gohan and couldn't act her way out of a paper bag, while Colleen on the other hand, is a marvelous actress, even if she can be a bit grating at times.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2229
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:I sent Bang Zoom an inquiry about the dub if it is canceled or not and this was their response.

Unfortunately I do not have information on that at this time.

The decision to dub more episodes would be up to our client. You can always message Toonami Asia and tell them you are a fan and want to see more episodes. We would certainly be happy to do more.

Thank you for your support!

Best,
The Bang Zoom! Team


So it's not actually canceled but moreso pending.


Did you miss the part where Toonami Asia is getting shut down at the end of the month?

No more episodes ordered = cancelled
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Did you miss the part where Toonami Asia is getting shut down at the end of the month?

No more episodes ordered = cancelled

Well, Toonami Asia shutting down could mean the dub is getting cancelled but that's not what Bang Zoom! said themselves. It's not technically cancelled but indefinitely paused.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

User avatar
VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Did you miss the part where Toonami Asia is getting shut down at the end of the month?

No more episodes ordered = cancelled

Well, Toonami Asia shutting down could mean the dub is getting cancelled but that's not what Bang Zoom! said themselves. It's not technically cancelled but indefinitely paused.

No no no, it's cancelled. Bang Zoom doesn't dictate whether it is or not
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Tian
Regular
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Tian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:26 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Well, Toonami Asia shutting down could mean the dub is getting cancelled but that's not what Bang Zoom! said themselves. It's not technically cancelled but indefinitely paused.


No, it's definitely cancelled. If there's nobody going to give episodes and pay to Bang Zoom, then there's nothing to dub.
When Clustering Stars gather and unite, those new bonds will illuminate the road to the future! Become the path its light shines upon! Limit Over Accel Synchro! Light Of Evolution, Shooting Quasar Dragon!

User avatar
Scsigs
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Scsigs » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Tian wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:Well, Toonami Asia shutting down could mean the dub is getting cancelled but that's not what Bang Zoom! said themselves. It's not technically cancelled but indefinitely paused.


No, it's definitely cancelled. If there's nobody going to give episodes and pay to Bang Zoom, then there's nothing to dub.

This dub was always a low-quality one meant for one audience in Southeast Asia. The dub was also taking forever to produce the next arc, so this is no surprise, or at least shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. FUNi at least have a built-in audience that'll at least support the releases of the series no matter what, even if they don't like the dubs, so Bang Zoom can't compete with that unless they release DVDs in that region of the dub, which probably won't happen. Plus, Toei's archaic policies of needing their licensers having TV deals for their hotter properties, which is stupid, holding them back from dubbing more.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here
Posts: 2229
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Location: Hail

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Super Sayian Prime » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 am

Technically, Turner Asia could fund more episodes to run on Cartoon Network or Boomerang in the region. However, I don't think that's likely. For starters, outside of India, DBS appears to have been Toonami Asia exclusive, rather than also running on the sister channels. Turner Asia only had Bang Zoom do the first 26 episodes when they purchased 50 from Toei. By now they'd have the cast back in the recording booth doing those episodes if they planned on continuing it.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:00 am

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Nia wrote:I dare say Lex Lang has understood the character of Son Goku better than any other dub actor; his performance during the goofy moments absolutely does sound like a happy-go-lucky manchild fightmonkey.

I don't see how he understands Goku better than the other guys. He's simply miscast, even more than Kirby Morrow.

It ultimately comes down to direction. I mean, give Schemmel all the shit you want, at least he doesn't sound miscast, depending on your perspective of how Goku should sound in English, especially if you're looking for Nozawa's direct equivalent. Morrow, I wouldn't say he was exactly miscast. More so, he could only embody a more normal Goku than Goku's other main characteristics. Give it to him, at least it wasn't like Schemmel in the Z dub, where he doesn't sound confident in the role the majority of the time, but could sound powerful when he needed to. Morrow had the opposite problems Schemmel did from what I could tell.
Lang, I don't even know, dude. I've heard him in other things, but I've never thought of him as bad before I sampled this dub.

At first, I thought Schemmel was miscast but eventually he grew into the role.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
TheRed259
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby TheRed259 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 am

Don't know if this means anything...
https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork ... 0000187798

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby OmegaRockman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:16 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Don't know if this means anything...
https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork ... 0000187798


I can see it being either the Bang Zoom dub or the edited Funimation dub. Should be interesting either way!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Danfun64 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm going to predict that 28-52 will be Bang Zoom... then 53 onwards will be edited Funi (never airing edited Funi before that point ALA how YTV never aired the pre Cell Games episodes of DBZ with the Westwood Z dub). Reason being that the Indian dubs were based off the Bang Zoom dub, and I'd like to think that the 52 episode contract to Bang Zoom isn't completely trashed even if Toonami Asia is dead. As for ep 53 onwards, by the time India finishes ep 52, Funi will be way ahead of them with its dub, and with the contract fulfilled there wouldn't be any reason to keep using BZ... though I wouldn't be surprised if BZ 28-52 uses Funi's scripts like Westwood Z and Blue Water OG Dragon Ball did, even if heavily tweaked.

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2045
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Another time and place...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Robo4900 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I'm going to predict that 28-52 will be Bang Zoom... then 53 onwards will be edited Funi (never airing edited Funi before that point ALA how YTV never aired the pre Cell Games episodes of DBZ with the Westwood Z dub). Reason being that the Indian dubs were based off the Bang Zoom dub, and I'd like to think that the 52 episode contract to Bang Zoom isn't completely trashed even if Toonami Asia is dead. As for ep 53 onwards, by the time India finishes ep 52, Funi will be way ahead of them with its dub, and with the contract fulfilled there wouldn't be any reason to keep using BZ... though I wouldn't be surprised if BZ 28-52 uses Funi's scripts like Westwood Z and Blue Water OG Dragon Ball did, even if heavily tweaked.

I strongly disagree.

BZ is obviously a cheaper dub than Funi's, and it's picked up viewers. Switching dubs would do nothing but deter existing fans, and CN India would be paying more for it.
No reason the Indian dubs can't continue to be based off of BZ either...

Ultimately, I think if Super is successful enough for BZ to reach episode 52, they'll probably stick with BZ for 53+ aswell. Spending more on a sudden cast change and having less control over the dub... It just sounds like a rather bad business move in every way...

If they switch to Funi, I think it'll be straight out of the gate. But, I think it'll be BZ all the way.
Alex Steacy wrote:We're not on this asteroid for very long; let's try to be nice to one another.

Tian
Regular
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Tian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:00 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Don't know if this means anything...
https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork ... 0000187798


I bet it's gonna be another rerun of the 27 episodes.
When Clustering Stars gather and unite, those new bonds will illuminate the road to the future! Become the path its light shines upon! Limit Over Accel Synchro! Light Of Evolution, Shooting Quasar Dragon!

User avatar
Nia
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Nia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Don't know if this means anything...
https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork ... 0000187798


...Please be Bang Zoom! :o
Does TAI know about it?

I'd given up hope on more, but if there's a chance, then dammit... I want this dub back!

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3423
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:31 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Don't know if this means anything...
https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork ... 0000187798


For whatever it's worth, I'm friends/friendly acquaintances in real life with a few of the actors involved in the Bang-Zoom dub, as I'm an LA-based voice actor myself (albeit not a famous one, as my work is mostly commercials, promos, and non-broadcast narration). A few days ago, one of them posted on Facebook that they "hate" Dragon Ball Super now, and would explain why in more detail once they were given the OK to do so.

In the interest of not getting this voice actor in trouble, I won't say who it is or what role they played (although I will reveal at least that it's none of the voice actors who actually signed up for Kanzenshuu and commented on this thread). However, this actor was very, very, very excited to be a part of Dragon Ball, as this voice actor is a huge fan of the franchise. So, the timing of this announcement from Cartoon Network India, combined this voice actor's sudden change in attitude and their phrasing about talking about it in more detail once they were "given the OK," suggests that something happened behind the scenes with the Bang-Zoom dub.

It could mean several different things. Maybe this voice actor was recast. However, my interpretation--and I stress the word interpretation, here--is that the Bang-Zoom dub really has been cancelled, and the announcement video that TheRed259 brought up may very well be referring to the return of the show in the form of the FUNimation dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei wrote:"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2045
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: Another time and place...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Postby Robo4900 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:For whatever it's worth, I'm friends/friendly acquaintances in real life with a few of the actors involved in the Bang-Zoom dub, as I'm an LA-based voice actor myself (albeit not a famous one, as my work is mostly commercials, promos, and non-broadcast narration). A few days ago, one of them posted on Facebook that they "hate" Dragon Ball Super now, and would explain why in more detail once they were given the OK to do so.

In the interest of not getting this voice actor in trouble, I won't say who it is or what role they played (although I will reveal at least that it's none of the voice actors who actually signed up for Kanzenshuu and commented on this thread). However, this actor was very, very, very excited to be a part of Dragon Ball, as this voice actor is a huge fan of the franchise. So, the timing of this announcement from Cartoon Network India, combined this voice actor's sudden change in attitude and their phrasing about talking about it in more detail once they were "given the OK," suggests that something happened behind the scenes with the Bang-Zoom dub.

It could mean several different things. Maybe this voice actor was recast. However, my interpretation--and I stress the word interpretation, here--is that the Bang-Zoom dub really has been cancelled, and the announcement video that TheRed259 brought up may very well be referring to the return of the show in the form of the FUNimation dub.

That would suck. :(

I'm not sure what to think about this actor "Hating" super... Surely they would already know it was over if it was over, and after the long hiatus since episode 27 was recorded, it wouldn't come as much of a surprise?
Perhaps it is just a recast, perhaps there's some big overhaul about how Bang Zoom are handling Super... I dunno...

One possibility is that Bang Zoom are staying on, but they've decided the quality of the first 27 episodes wasn't up to snuff, so they'll be re-recording the first 27, along with recording the remainder of the 52-episode order, and along with this, some actors have been recast; so the actors that are staying on have to redo all their previous work, and a bunch of the previous guys have been kicked off. That may be bad enough for an actor to come out and say they hate the show now...
Alex Steacy wrote:We're not on this asteroid for very long; let's try to be nice to one another.


Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 8000 Saiyan, Freeza Soldier #156, Google [Bot], GreatJaiyaman, OmegaRockman and 30 guests