"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote: https://youtu.be/elx1ix3l_-c?t=703

Ben Diskin & I think Lex also mentioned similar tensions. & the way Patrick Seitz & Matthew Mercer (in the video) discussed it was pretty dismissive as if he wanted it as far as possible away.
Very disappointing to hear him talk like this. As someone who actually likes his work on this dub, It's unfortunate to see that he's treating this opportunity with such a dumb attitude. I get the whole respect thing but does he even realize that Sabat wasn't the original English voice for the character? Does he even know the abysmal circumstances surrounding Funimation at the time which essentially forced them to cast Sabat in so many roles? My guess is he's probably ignorant to all of this.

The funny thing is that, in all likelihood, Ray Chase probably went through a more thorough casting process than Sabat ever did for either Z or Kai (the latter of which he probably just cast himself in automatically). Ray has just as much right to call the character his own and I see no reason for him to bow down to his predecessors. What's actually really sad is that the original English voice of Piccolo, Scott McNeil (who's been passed on time and time again), probably would've loved this opportunity to come back and yet, instead we get Ray Chase just treating it like another paycheck. That just ain't right.
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts although I dont blame him for thinking this way. Also while I like Scott McNeil & his performance does evoke more of Piccolo's sinister nuance than Sabat's vague Hulk impression, I would still say that Ray probably has the most thorough casting process than the others, in a production that faithfully captures the actual story. He's not really established or has close to Scott's range, no, but he's easily good enough for Piccolo, his range is insane for someone with ~20 credits, lol.

This attitude, while unfortunate, is less about Dragon Ball and more about dumb licensing politics. Toei really should take care of this show's distribution better.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Well, it's a cartoon. I don't see why cartoony voices are out of place.
I meant that it was not really a humanoid-sounding voice, & inappropriate in that sense. We do have cartoony voices in DB (Agent Shu, Pilaf), but also many serious ones.
I think that you kind of ignore the fact that Sabat doesn't sound like Hulk anymore. He doesn't sound anything like Fred Tatasciore, who could be a great Piccolo.
NitroEX wrote:Very disappointing to hear him talk like this. As someone who actually likes his work on this dub, It's unfortunate to see that he's treating this opportunity with such a dumb attitude. I get the whole respect thing but does he even realize that Sabat wasn't the original English voice for the character? Does he even know the abysmal circumstances surrounding Funimation at the time which essentially forced them to cast Sabat in so many roles? My guess is he's probably ignorant to all of this.
I agree with this, but to be fair, the Funimation dub is more known than the Ocean dub. Whenever people think of the English voices for Dragon Ball Z, they think of people like Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, not Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote: Yeah, pretty much my thoughts although I dont blame him for thinking this way. Also while I like Scott McNeil & his performance does evoke more of Piccolo's sinister nuance than Sabat's vague Hulk impression, I would still say that Ray probably has the most thorough casting process than the others, in a production that faithfully captures the actual story. He's not really established or has close to Scott's range, no, but he's easily good enough for Piccolo, his range is insane for someone with ~20 credits, lol.
I don't know, I think you might be wrong on that one. The casting of Kai (for Canada) and the rumors that we heard about it hinted at a more faithful approach and in spite of that, Scott was still able to reprise Piccolo. The fact that Kirby Morrow was turned down also strongly hints that everyone was still asked to audition regardless of past roles.
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:I meant that it was not really a humanoid-sounding voice, & inappropriate in that sense. We do have cartoony voices in DB (Agent Shu, Pilaf), but also many serious ones.
I disagree that the voice doesn't sound humanoid. It can be over the top in terms of delivery but without that, it ceases to be that pompous, prideful character. If you've heard him talk about his creation process for the voice it also makes logical sense from a character design standpoint, due to Vegeta's short height. Add in the alien heritage and villainous roots, and I think the voice is justified. It may not be the most realistic approach in terms of how most people talk but for a show like Dragon Ball with a warrior space prince who practices martial arts, I don't really see that as being that big of an issue. That being said, I can see why you would prefer something closer to the Japanese.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:47 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think that you kind of ignore the fact that Sabat doesn't sound like Hulk anymore. He doesn't sound anything like Fred Tatasciore, who could be a great Piccolo.
Chris kind of has similar timbre to Fred, he could easily voice Hulk. A lot of Fred's typecasts are played by Chris at FUNi. I think Fred would be a good Piccolo (something along the lines of Gravitron but a bit deeper), although not better than Steve Blum or Keith Ferguson IMO. He'd be much better as Dabra although he could of course easily do Spopovich, Nappa, Recoome, Turtle, Mr. Satan, Gyu-mao, King Cold, King Enma, or of course Shenlong. Although I'm wildly deviating off topic.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think that you kind of ignore the fact that Sabat doesn't sound like Hulk anymore. He doesn't sound anything like Fred Tatasciore, who could be a great Piccolo.
Chris kind of has similar timbre to Fred, he could easily voice Hulk. A lot of Fred's typecasts are played by Chris at FUNi. I think Fred would be a good Piccolo (something along the lines of Gravitron but a bit deeper), although not better than Steve Blum or Keith Ferguson IMO. He'd be much better as Dabra although he could of course easily do Spopovich, Nappa, Recoome, Turtle, Mr. Satan, Gyu-mao, King Cold, King Enma, or of course Shenlong. Although I'm wildly deviating off topic.
What about Silverstein? He'd be a good Piccolo IMO.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:Notably, everyone here is done as a more proper dub casting, based on the Japanese performances. I think the only other DB English dubs that have had that are Final Bout & Harmony Gold (as much crap as it gets, at least it maintained the story & voices unlike FUNi's dub), to my knowledge.
Out of curiosity, what do you make of the casting for the Blue Water dubs? While the GT dub has everybody doing impressions of the Westwood Z cast, it doesn't seem nearly as so with the Original Dragon Ball dub. Interesting, some castings of Blue Water Dragon Ball sound closer to the French dub than Big Green does, like with Muten Roshi for instance (who actually kind of sounds like the Funi voice actors in Big Green)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Blue Water's King Kai sounds like Schemmel's take with a Canadian accent.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:Notably, everyone here is done as a more proper dub casting, based on the Japanese performances. I think the only other DB English dubs that have had that are Final Bout & Harmony Gold (as much crap as it gets, at least it maintained the story & voices unlike FUNi's dub), to my knowledge.
Out of curiosity, what do you make of the casting for the Blue Water dubs? While the GT dub has everybody doing impressions of the Westwood Z cast, it doesn't seem nearly as so with the Original Dragon Ball dub. Interesting, some castings of Blue Water Dragon Ball sound closer to the French dub than Big Green does, like with Muten Roshi for instance (who actually kind of sounds like the Funi voice actors in Big Green)
I'm sure ahmed doesn't like the Blue Water voices. He thinks that none of the DB or DBZ dubs were very good.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:36 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:https://youtu.be/elx1ix3l_-c?t=703

Ben Diskin & I think Lex also mentioned similar tensions. & the way Patrick Seitz & Matthew Mercer (in the video) discussed it was pretty dismissive as if he wanted it as far as possible away.
While it's a bit weird someone would ask for his autograph on Piccolo merch this quickly in North America, I think it's silly of him to act like that. Sabat has had no real issue doing "Over 9000!" a trillion times even though the meme is Drummond.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:01 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Yeah, the other Keith (lol) would be good, he has weight similar like the other two (& Drummond, Adler, & O'Brien, FWIW) but I kinda felt he'd be a bit nasal (although not nearly as bad as Liam O'Brien). I like Steve's very rough & gravelly tone of, especially for the more wise companion sides of Piccolo later on.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:While it's a bit weird someone would ask for his autograph on Piccolo merch this quickly in North America, I think it's silly of him to act like that. Sabat has had no real issue doing "Over 9000!" a trillion times even though the meme is Drummond.
Well, in this case, it's a substitute for strange licensing reasons, rather than a downsizing of the production. Although it's not like Chris (or any dubber) gets residuals based on airing (& thus, Chris isnt actually losing anything here), so I'm not really sure what the beef between actors would be here. I guess if FUNi's upset, then Chris is upset, & thus the substitute VAs are cautious about taking the roles.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Yeah, the other Keith (lol) would be good, he has weight similar like the other two (& Drummond, Adler, & O'Brien, FWIW) but I kinda felt he'd be a bit nasal (although not nearly as bad as Liam O'Brien). I like Steve's very rough & gravelly tone of, especially for the more wise companion sides of Piccolo later on.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:While it's a bit weird someone would ask for his autograph on Piccolo merch this quickly in North America, I think it's silly of him to act like that. Sabat has had no real issue doing "Over 9000!" a trillion times even though the meme is Drummond.
Well, in this case, it's a substitute for strange licensing reasons, rather than a downsizing of the production. Although it's not like Chris (or any dubber) gets residuals based on airing (& thus, Chris isnt actually losing anything here), so I'm not really sure what the beef between actors would be here. I guess if FUNi's upset, then Chris is upset, & thus the substitute VAs are cautious about taking the roles.
Although I think no one can be a better Ocean Piccolo than McNeil, Drummond'd be an interesting choice, but I think O'Brien'd be much better as Vegeta or Frieza. Adler could play Frieza, but there are better voice actors in western animation that would play Vegeta and Piccolo better.

BTW, I've noticed that you think Silverstein will play Frieza in this dub. I am familar with Silverstein's roles, but what kind of voice would he use for Frieza?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:56 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I feel the worst part about this is how Funimation have handled it. The Bang Zoom actors aren't going to deny work and Bang Zoom aren't going to deny a paycheck from Toonami Asia. Funimation's actors need to stop being so cruel to the Bang Zoom version, most Funimation actors are in house so they don't usually have to worry too much about getting work. But Bang Zoom's actors are some of the first anime roles for these actors in a while. I just can't help but feel it's Funimation inflaming tensions. If Mathew IS voicing Funi Zamasu it'll make the whole thing even more awkward cause he records all his stuff AT Studiopolis, where Bang Zoom's talent is all based.
It was only one moment with Rager and none of the other actors said anything about it heck Lex said Sean gave him blessings and advice, yes Sabat tried to defend Rager but once it kept going even Sabat himself said the whole thing was stupid and wanted it dropped, haven't seen anything mentioned about the BZ dub since from them. I think the awkwardness is steaming from the fact that the BZ dub is only meant for Asian market and the only reason fans in America are hearing it is through illegal means.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Although I think no one can be a better Ocean Piccolo than McNeil, Drummond'd be an interesting choice, but I think O'Brien'd be much better as Vegeta or Frieza. Adler could play Frieza, but there are better voice actors in western animation that would play Vegeta and Piccolo better.

BTW, I've noticed that you think Silverstein will play Frieza in this dub. I am familar with Silverstein's roles, but what kind of voice would he use for Frieza?
Seiji from Zetman, Hisoka from HxH. & FWIW, looking up his roles, his Coyote Starrk would've made a great Piccolo.

In regards to those actors, I just like cataloguing & gauging voices, & I generally found those guys really comparable in terms of weight. They tend to replace a lot of each other's roles, if you pay attention. Wolverine, Mugen, Red Skull, Starscream, Char Aznable, Super-Skrull, probably others too. I can imagine Nakao or Furukawa doing some of these too tbh.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Although I think no one can be a better Ocean Piccolo than McNeil, Drummond'd be an interesting choice, but I think O'Brien'd be much better as Vegeta or Frieza. Adler could play Frieza, but there are better voice actors in western animation that would play Vegeta and Piccolo better.

Seiji from Zetman, Hisoka from HxH. & FWIW, looking up his roles, his Coyote Starrk would've made a great Piccolo.

In regards to those actors, I just like cataloguing & gauging voices, & I generally found those guys really comparable in terms of weight. They tend to replace a lot of each other's roles, if you pay attention. Wolverine, Mugen, Red Skull, Starscream, Char Aznable, Super-Skrull, probably others too. I can imagine Nakao or Furukawa doing some of these too tbh.

I couldn't see Nakao play Red Skull, but he'd rock as Starscream and probably Green Goblin.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:44 pm

At Louisiana Comic Con this year, Sean stated that he records for Super in Los Angeles and Chris flies down there to direct him rather than having Sean fly up to Dallas to record. I find that pretty interesting because that means that Super is being recorded in the same city at two different studios for two different dubs for two different companies (Sean for FUNi's dub at North Hollywood Sound and Bang Zoom's dub for Toonami Asia at Bang Zoom)

Crazy
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:00 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:At Louisiana Comic Con this year, Sean stated that he records for Super in Los Angeles and Chris flies down there to direct him rather than having Sean fly up to Dallas to record. I find that pretty interesting because that means that Super is being recorded in the same city at two different studios for two different dubs for two different companies (Sean for FUNi's dub at North Hollywood Sound and Bang Zoom's dub for Toonami Asia at Bang Zoom)

Crazy
That's interesting, but a bit odd as Sabat has a whole other bunch of work for FUNi so surprised he has time to fly out. I guess Rawley directs the other actors at OT5000 when Sabat's not there, which could explain why he was directing Douglas back in July.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:09 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:At Louisiana Comic Con this year, Sean stated that he records for Super in Los Angeles and Chris flies down there to direct him rather than having Sean fly up to Dallas to record. I find that pretty interesting because that means that Super is being recorded in the same city at two different studios for two different dubs for two different companies (Sean for FUNi's dub at North Hollywood Sound and Bang Zoom's dub for Toonami Asia at Bang Zoom)

Crazy
Well, that already happened with the brazilian portuguese and european portuguese dubs of Pokemon, with Fábio Lucindo (brazilian voice of Ash) recording his lines in Lisboa from Portugal since he lives there now, while the european portuguese dub was being recorded in Lisboa too, in another studio.

Also, it can be some kind of coincidence, but there is a chance of that happening again with Dragon Ball Super's portuguese dubs, since Fábio can record his lines for Krillin(yeah, brazilian Ash Ketchum is brazilian Krillin too) directly from Lisboa again, while the european portuguese dub has already started to be produced. But unfortunally, there aren't so many informations of the brazilian dub until now to confirm that yet. It's being produced under confidenciality.

And actually, that situation about Sean recording it in Los Angeles explains a lot to me how can some american english actors like not only him, but too Kyle Hebert, Michael Sinterniklaas and Laura Bailey for examples can work a lot with studios in Los Angeles, New York and in Texas too almost in the same time.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:13 pm

They also took a little dig at the Bang Zoom dub here: https://youtu.be/68FrV_eT5ZA?t=37m36s
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:24 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:They also took a little dig at the Bang Zoom dub here: https://youtu.be/68FrV_eT5ZA?t=37m36s
Good dig.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:38 pm

It seems more like they're snubbing the Fillipino English dub, not Bang Zoom (which technically was made in the US).
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon May 01, 2017 4:30 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:They also took a little dig at the Bang Zoom dub here: https://youtu.be/68FrV_eT5ZA?t=37m36s
Sabat was talking about the Malaysian dub here. Hence he said "best southeast Asian dub". The Bang Zoom dub is a North American dub just made for a different market so it wouldn't fit that description.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: