"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:07 pm

FINALLY! Some people with actual sense! I could cry!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Scsigs wrote: It's the reason Ayres essentially copies his voice for his portrayal.
...What??

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:1. Yeah he could have, but that doesn't mean he did.

2. I suppose this is somewhat subjective, but I think you're just wrong. Chris Ayres is significantly less nasally sounding with a rough texture to his voice. This is really apparent in that first preview with him and the episode after where he's almost like Pauline Newstone. The accent is different too. LittleKurriboh is actually English while Chris Ayres' Freeza still has an American accent. His actual pronunciation is still 100% American. Him playing up the oily, smug qualities makes people think he sounds British because that kind of attitude is stereotypically associated with snooty Brits. It's not like LittleKurriboh invented this type of voice for Freeza either. It's all there in Ryusei Nakao's portrayal which Chris Ayres would obviously have been referencing given Funimation's modern dubbing practices.
The fact that there are several references to TFS already in Kai's dub make me think Frieza's voice was intentionally influenced by TFS to some extent. Just listen to Ayres in these clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEpzFtzIcc https://youtu.be/eGvS7LGAWkU?t=42s. I'm not saying the voices are always 100% identical, but Ayres' voice for the character is damn close to LK's. And, yeah, they were obviously initially looking at male VAs to replace Young because of his Japanese voice, there's no denying that, but either Ayres took some amount of inspiration from TFS when developing his voice for Frieza, or I'm tone deaf.
And, yeah, he sounds British because he's playing up Frieza's personality with a British twang in his voice. Like I said, he added a Poshness to him. LK played the character by playing up his natural British accent for the same reasons you just listed, so Ayres & Sabat did the same thing. It's a trope for a reason. RP was originally an actor's accent anyways for theater, so it's not like that's a bad thing.
Don't take this the wrong way, but exactly how good are you at judging accents? Because Ayres' voice for him certainly is not American.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but exactly how good are you at judging accents? Because Ayres' voice for him certainly is not American.
I dunno, how good are you? Smug or posh does not mean British. His r's and vowel sounds are all standard American as opposed to received pronunciation and he's certainly not doing a more specific regional accent like Cockney.

EDIT: I just checked your example comparisons and I still don't hear the similarity. I also think it's rather funny you've used two scenes which the Kai dub released BEFORE the TFS version.
Last edited by Nightmare Wheel on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Trans-Atlantic accent, maybe?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but exactly how good are you at judging accents? Because Ayres' voice for him certainly is not American.
I dunno, how good are you? Smug or posh does not mean British. His r's and vowel sounds are all standard American as opposed to received pronunciation and he's certainly not doing a more specific regional accent like Cockney.
It does have qualities of both, but it's still has a lot of British influence in it & there are different regional accents in the UK. Just check the comments of those videos I linked earlier, some of them also agree that it sounds British. It just doesn't go all the way with it. When did I say he was trying to do Cockney?
Also, it's not just the light 'r's' that define a British accent. There are many different traits. It's just that, by nature of the accent, RP is probably one of the easiest British accents to affect because it's meant to be.
Also, where do you think "Posh" came from? When you think of the upper class in English, you generally think British. Frieza generally carries himself as being upper class, so the British influence works. Here's the definition of "posh" from Oxford Dictionaries: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/posh. It generally means "upper class," or "elegant."

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Scsigs wrote: It does have qualities of both, but it's still has a lot of British influence in it & there are different regional accents in the UK. Just check the comments of those videos I linked earlier, some of them also agree that it sounds British. It just doesn't go all the way with it. When did I say he was trying to do Cockney?
Also, it's not just the light 'r's' that define a British accent. There are many different traits. It's just that, by nature of the accent, RP is probably one of the easiest British accents to affect because it's meant to be.
I was using Cockney as an example, I thought that would be obvious. No regional British accent I have ever heard sounds like Chris Ayres as Freeza. Same thing with stuff like the r's and vowel sounds. Those aren't the only indicator of an accent, but there some of the most apparent hallmarks of RP and Chris Ayres just isn't doing that. I've yet to see you give any concrete examples of how Chris Ayres is supposed to sound British beyond sounding smug and posh so I'm aiming for the most obvious things.

I don't even know what you're on about with the definition of posh. Being British doesn't give you a monopoly on sounding posh any more than, say, being from the American south gives you a monopoly on sounding like a hick. It's a stereotype, not a hard rule.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 pm

This discussion reminds of a discussion I saw on another forum ages ago where multiple people (IIRC) thought that Dameon Clarke gave Perfect Cell a British accent because of the haughty way he speaks in that form.

I do not agree with the idea that Ayres' Freeza speaks with a British accent, and I doubt LittleKuriboh's portrayal of the character in DBZA had any significant impact on the direction Ayres took with the character.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:I don't even know what you're on about with the definition of posh. Being British doesn't give you a monopoly on sounding posh any more than, say, being from the American south gives you a monopoly on sounding like a hick. It's a stereotype, not a hard rule.
That's what I was saying. If you checked the definition I linked, the main meaning of the word comes from the British meaning of it. Most accents you hear in media reflect more than just a regional birth place. For instance, in the Japanese versions of anime, different manners of speaking, without differing in accent, is generally a way of differentiating characters. Masako Nozawa constantly changes how she speaks. With Goku, she talks like a hick, Gohan she talks in a manner reflective of his intelligence, & Goten speaks more like Chichi since he was raised only by her for the first 7 years of his life. To get the appropriate manner of speaking across in English, Sean would have to speak in the equivalent manner, i.e. a Southern accent, to get the message across, but he doesn't.
Even if the accent was different, in Japanese, as I've read, the Kansai, I believe, accent is usually translated into a Southern American accent, or a Brooklyn accent because it's the equivalent due to similar stereotypes, even if the character isn't indicative of the stereotype. The same is true of the upper class, or nicer characters of a show. In Yugioh's dub, to indicate Bakura's nice character type, they gave him a British accent & to keep Jonouchi/Joey's personality intact, they gave him a Brooklyn accent. Check out Geekdom101's talk with MasakoX on Sean's Goku Black voice from Xenoverse 2. Masako said that Sean should give Black a British accent to bring out his smug tendencies more in the dub. While that might work for, say, Zamasu himself, I don't think that'd work for Black at all, given the whole mystery around him for newcomers who don't know, keeping his accent the same as Goku's, but with different inflections, would be the most beneficial there. Plus, who knows if Sean's that good at British accents in the first place. It's a stereotype, but it works.
Let's go to a nonanime/cartoon example. David Tennant played Kilgrave with the Estuary/RP accent he used for his incarnation of the Doctor. Even he agrees because of the accent, he comes off as more evil. The RP accent lends itself great to smug & stuff. He says so here, where he & other British people discuss British accents, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-J0suoSQM.
I'm sure the admins & others are getting sick of us discussing this here. If you wanna talk more, I have a thread on the inconsistencies of the Dragon Ball dubs, we can talk there, or in the DBZ Kai TFC English dub forum, since this one's dedicated to the alternate Super dub more than the main one.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm

You're just missing the mark. Can a British accent make someone sound more pompous or smug? Yes. Is every pompous or smug sounding person talking in a British accent? No, that's ridiculous. These traits also aren't the determining factor as to whether or not someone even has that kind of accent. Accents are based on pronunciation. Chris Ayres' Freeza does not have a British accent because he does not use British pronunciations and that's all I've got to say on the matter.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:You're just missing the mark. Can a British accent make someone sound more pompous or smug? Yes. Is every pompous or smug sounding person talking in a British accent? No, that's ridiculous. These traits also aren't the determining factor as to whether or not someone even has that kind of accent. Accents are based on pronunciation. Chris Ayres' Freeza does not have a British accent because he does not use British pronunciations and that's all I've got to say on the matter.
All right, all right. It doesn't sound British to you, while it sounds influenced by British to me. I'm just saying, it definitely isn't just American. It's definitely Posh. Whatever though.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Nightmare Wheel wrote:I don't even know what you're on about with the definition of posh. Being British doesn't give you a monopoly on sounding posh any more than, say, being from the American south gives you a monopoly on sounding like a hick. It's a stereotype, not a hard rule.
That's what I was saying. If you checked the definition I linked, the main meaning of the word comes from the British meaning of it. Most accents you hear in media reflect more than just a regional birth place. For instance, in the Japanese versions of anime, different manners of speaking, without differing in accent, is generally a way of differentiating characters. Masako Nozawa constantly changes how she speaks. With Goku, she talks like a hick, Gohan she talks in a manner reflective of his intelligence, & Goten speaks more like Chichi since he was raised only by her for the first 7 years of his life. To get the appropriate manner of speaking across in English, Sean would have to speak in the equivalent manner, i.e. a Southern accent, to get the message across, but he doesn't.
Even if the accent was different, in Japanese, as I've read, the Kansai, I believe, accent is usually translated into a Southern American accent, or a Brooklyn accent because it's the equivalent due to similar stereotypes, even if the character isn't indicative of the stereotype. The same is true of the upper class, or nicer characters of a show. In Yugioh's dub, to indicate Bakura's nice character type, they gave him a British accent & to keep Jonouchi/Joey's personality intact, they gave him a Brooklyn accent. Check out Geekdom101's talk with MasakoX on Sean's Goku Black voice from Xenoverse 2. Masako said that Sean should give Black a British accent to bring out his smug tendencies more in the dub. While that might work for, say, Zamasu himself, I don't think that'd work for Black at all, given the whole mystery around him for newcomers who don't know, keeping his accent the same as Goku's, but with different inflections, would be the most beneficial there. Plus, who knows if Sean's that good at British accents in the first place. It's a stereotype, but it works.
Let's go to a nonanime/cartoon example. David Tennant played Kilgrave with the Estuary/RP accent he used for his incarnation of the Doctor. Even he agrees because of the accent, he comes off as more evil. The RP accent lends itself great to smug & stuff. He says so here, where he & other British people discuss British accents, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-J0suoSQM.
I'm sure the admins & others are getting sick of us discussing this here. If you wanna talk more, I have a thread on the inconsistencies of the Dragon Ball dubs, we can talk there, or in the DBZ Kai TFC English dub forum, since this one's dedicated to the alternate Super dub more than the main one.
Schemmel doesn't need a British accent to be a great Black. All he needs is to act well.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:17 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Schemmel doesn't need a British accent to be a great Black. All he needs is to act well.
I know. That was the whole point of me bringing it up, coupled with logistics reasons.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Do we know when the next episode of BZ dub premieres or better yet how to even watch it?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:You're just missing the mark. Can a British accent make someone sound more pompous or smug? Yes. Is every pompous or smug sounding person talking in a British accent? No, that's ridiculous. These traits also aren't the determining factor as to whether or not someone even has that kind of accent. Accents are based on pronunciation. Chris Ayres' Freeza does not have a British accent because he does not use British pronunciations and that's all I've got to say on the matter.
Hey, um, not to dredge up this conversation, but this is more of an ending point, plus he just got back to my tweet almost an hour ago. Chris Ayres replied to my tweet asking if he thinks his Frieza voice as Posh at all &, while he doesn't agree that it's Posh, he says that there IS a bit of English in it, https://twitter.com/Chrisayresva/status ... 6348272640. As with me getting confirmation from Sean Schemmel about he & Sabat still voicing Vegito in Kai, & by extension Super, as they always have, I'll say, case closed.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Really? Whenever I hear Ayres' Frieza, he sounds at times British to me
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Really? Whenever I hear Ayres' Frieza, he sounds British at times to me.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Well I guess there's something there, but I still don't think it's particularly strong. He did say, "a bit English" after all.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:Well I guess there's something there, but I still don't think it's particularly strong. He did say, "a bit English" after all.
Yeah, but it's a far cry from just simply American, as you say he sounds to you. He definitely inflects that accent a bit when voicing Frieza. If you listen to Greg as Frost from Xenoverse 2, he does exactly the same thing as Chris does to an extent because Frost is the U6 equivalent to Frieza.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 pm

I STILL doubt Chris copied Little Kuriboh, its just a side effect of Little Kuriboh already being British. That battle was already won when someone pointed out that the dub was ready for months before the first Little Kuriboh as Freeza clip came.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: