"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm

God, what a terrible video. Love how he made it personal with Lex Lang by bringing up his name and face all the time, you KNOW some of the retarded Funi fans watching are going to go on social media to take a stab at the guy after that. If all you have to say is something that brings about more hatred towards people undeserving of it, why even say it?
Also, where the hell is his complaint about a poor script even coming from!? The ONE example he showed wasn't even that inaccurate at all! Definitely not so bad that it "changed the motivations of characters". And it being "insulting to the source material"? Come on, seriously?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:22 pm

The script is too literal. Characters aren't given natural dialogue. Sabat specifically talked about this when discussing how they're dubbing DBS and an example he gave is that the Japanese leave a lot of pauses in conversations and thus becomes too awkward in English so they add a couple of extra lines to help it flow better.

The BZ dub is a primary example of why a literal script for dubs is not a good things, dubs are supposed to be an adaptation so ya'know adapt.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The script is too literal. Characters aren't given natural dialogue. Sabat specifically talked about this when discussing how they're dubbing DBS and an example he gave is that the Japanese leave a lot of pauses in conversations and thus becomes too awkward in English so they add a couple of extra lines to help it flow better.

The BZ dub is a primary example of why a literal script for dubs is not a good things, dubs are supposed to be an adaptation so ya'know adapt.
That's certainly true to a degree, but it's not like any of the dialogue in the FUNI dub sounds natural. Most of the time something is "adapted" (read: written to be a bad joke or a stupid pop-culture reference) that comes off as though it was written by an 8 year old trying to sound cool. Then most of the characters sound dumbed down to the point of embarrassment (with the exception of Freeza, who they seem to actually try writing in-character).
FUNI's scripts are just as bad, if not worse than the BZ scripts.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:28 pm

Bang Zoom dubs usually are very literal. Even the Macekre ones, like Doraemon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:38 pm

Nia wrote:That's certainly true to a degree, but it's not like any of the dialogue in the FUNI dub sounds natural. Most of the time something is "adapted" (read: written to be a bad joke or a stupid pop-culture reference) that comes off as though it was written by an 8 year old trying to sound cool. Then most of the characters sound dumbed down to the point of embarrassment (with the exception of Freeza, who they seem to actually try writing in-character).
I certainly disagree, though I guess it depends on what you mean by "bad." Do you mean that they're just as guilty as BZ as taking things too far or what? And in terms of their dub not sounding natural, I'd disagree. And in terms of "Adapting" meaning "replacing dialogue with bad jokes & pop culture references," what the fuck dub have YOU been watching? If this were the Z dub, or a standard 4Kids dub, I could see it, but rarely does FUNi do that anymore. I don't think they've really ever done pop culture references & the insertion of jokes stopped after Z, unless it's a filler episode or a slice-of-life episode, like that episode at the beginning of the Resurrection F Arc, where Goku got punched away by Mr. Satan (and even then, it was an outtake they included just for the hell of it).
There are some one-off lines I think I could give you; "Super Saiyan please?" & the like, & Magetta's the only character I can say they took extreme liberties with (because he's ultimately a character that doesn't matter at all because he's a tertiary joke character who only grunted & laughed, I think, in Japanese, so it didn't matter), but other than that, I'd say they're actually taking great pains by going out of their way to stick to the original Japanese characterizations. Goku is the main example in this, since he's about as dumb & fight happy as he was in the original Japanese. He just doesn't speak like a hick, which I couldn't see taking seriously to be honest.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The script is too literal. Characters aren't given natural dialogue. Sabat specifically talked about this when discussing how they're dubbing DBS and an example he gave is that the Japanese leave a lot of pauses in conversations and thus becomes too awkward in English so they add a couple of extra lines to help it flow better.

I agree with the assertion that a too literal script is bad for a dub, but a script that takes too many liberties is also a problem. Like, I think FUNi often finds the perfect balance in many of their dubs after Z. I'm saying this after watching a lot of their dubs, like DB, One Piece, & the like regularly. But that's just me. The dialogue's often perfectly accurate, even if it's not 100% exact with the Japanese. I also think Viz improved in this area dramatically part way into their Naruto dub, when they stopped trying to be 100% with the Japanese script & started adapting the lines to sound more natural to English listeners. Their later dubs benefitted from this greatly. Like, I think their dubs of Sailor Moon & Crystal noticeably improved over time as well & those dubs were pretty good to begin with. Crystal's dub also benefitted from being done after the first season or 2 of the original show's dub.
It's my opinion, but I think dubs that do their own thing while being accurate in their translations end up being some of the better ones. Why else would Cowboy Bebop be remembered so fondly if the dub wasn't great?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:37 am

Scsigs wrote:
Nia wrote:That's certainly true to a degree, but it's not like any of the dialogue in the FUNI dub sounds natural. Most of the time something is "adapted" (read: written to be a bad joke or a stupid pop-culture reference) that comes off as though it was written by an 8 year old trying to sound cool. Then most of the characters sound dumbed down to the point of embarrassment (with the exception of Freeza, who they seem to actually try writing in-character).
I certainly disagree, though I guess it depends on what you mean by "bad." Do you mean that they're just as guilty as BZ as taking things too far or what? And in terms of their dub not sounding natural, I'd disagree. And in terms of "Adapting" meaning "replacing dialogue with bad jokes & pop culture references," what the fuck dub have YOU been watching? If this were the Z dub, or a standard 4Kids dub, I could see it, but rarely does FUNi do that anymore. I don't think they've really ever done pop culture references & the insertion of jokes stopped after Z, unless it's a filler episode or a slice-of-life episode, like that episode at the beginning of the Resurrection F Arc, where Goku got punched away by Mr. Satan (and even then, it was an outtake they included just for the hell of it).
There are some one-off lines I think I could give you; "Super Saiyan please?" & the like, & Magetta's the only character I can say they took extreme liberties with (because he's ultimately a character that doesn't matter at all because he's a tertiary joke character who only grunted & laughed, I think, in Japanese, so it didn't matter), but other than that, I'd say they're actually taking great pains by going out of their way to stick to the original Japanese characterizations. Goku is the main example in this, since he's about as dumb & fight happy as he was in the original Japanese. He just doesn't speak like a hick, which I couldn't see taking seriously to be honest.
Not all of them are just in DBS or even just the dub, but...

Goku talking about how he needs to get stronger so he can protect Goten and Chichi.
Videl's comment about Gohan being her "scholar arm candy."
Beerus repeatedly quoting the Price is Right when he was trying to get Oolong to play Rock-Paper-Scissors.
The use of Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk (I think those came back in Resurrection F, and never left the games; and yes it makes me cranky they use these in the BZ dub too). These are especially annoying following uncut Kai, and even censored Kai sometimes.
Battle of Gods' "I won't let you destroy my world!" line (admittedly, this one might be a bit nitpicky, but that line still sounds wrong to me).
EVERYTHING about Goku Black in Xenoverse 2 pre-Rose (and at least some post Rose).
Hit's "time to make donuts" comment in XV2.
Kuririn referring to #18 as "babe" constantly. (Yeah, that's really some painfully accurate characterization there. /s)
Dubisms leaking into the Crunchyroll subs for the Japanese version of the anime (along with random stupid things that not even the dub uses like "King Kai Fist").
The aforementioned Satan Punch scene (way to ruin one of the funniest scenes in the entire franchise by using a painfully unfunny outtake!).

You're not gonna tell me that shit is "natural" sounding.

FUNI still pulls that kind of crap all the time. It's not as noticeable as it was back in Z, but it got pretty noticeable after around the first half of the Freeza arc of Kai... and this is just stuff I've come across from barely paying attention to FUNImation's dub. Nobody is asking for a perfect 1:1 dub, but you're honestly kidding me if you think ANY of those "jokes" are an improvement over the Japanese version.
It's one thing to alter something that simply doesn't work in English, but altering it for the sake of alteration isn't an improvement. It doesn't matter if it's a "slice of life" episode, or a filler episode, or a gag character.

As for Goku's hickspeak, the least they could do is make him use "ain't" and mispronounce words occasionally (BZ also ignores this, but at least makes up for it by actually having him sound like a laid-back, oblivious goof).
Labrys in Persona 4 Arena had a Kyoto accent that was dubbed as a Chicago accent and the character was just as memorable and believable as they were in Japanese, so there's no reason they couldn't do a similar thing with Goku.

There's a fine line between "adapting an awkward sounding sentence to English," a Woolseyism, and "making up total bullshit." Maybe I'm just being overly nitpicky, but FUNImation's rewrites irritate me to no end, especially when there's no point to them. BZ may be over literal, but at least it's unlikely to wind up with anything even remotely as stupid sounding as "Goku Black likey." Those aren't 'cultural differences' that feel out of place in English; that's just idiotic.
I'm not saying there's not a place for rewrites or alterations, but none of what I mentioned was even remotely 'natural sounding,' and the normal unaltered dialogue still sounds like it could be written for any character in the dub because they all talk the same (with the exception of Freeza).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 am

Nia wrote:There's a fine line between "adapting an awkward sounding sentence to English," a Woolseyism, and "making up total bullshit." Maybe I'm just being overly nitpicky, but FUNImation's rewrites irritate me to no end, especially when there's no point to them. BZ may be over literal, but at least it's unlikely to wind up with anything even remotely as stupid sounding as "Goku Black likey." Those aren't 'cultural differences' that feel out of place in English; that's just idiotic.
I'm not saying there's not a place for rewrites or alterations, but none of what I mentioned was even remotely 'natural sounding,' and the normal unaltered dialogue still sounds like it could be written for any character in the dub because they all talk the same (with the exception of Freeza).
Well, let's take a gander at your list here.
Nia wrote:Goku talking about how he needs to get stronger so he can protect Goten and Chichi.
Beerus repeatedly quoting the Price is Right when he was trying to get Oolong to play Rock-Paper-Scissors.
The use of Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk (I think those came back in Resurrection F, and never left the games; and yes it makes me cranky they use these in the BZ dub too). These are especially annoying following uncut Kai, and even censored Kai sometimes.
Battle of Gods' "I won't let you destroy my world!" line (admittedly, this one might be a bit nitpicky, but that line still sounds wrong to me).
EVERYTHING about Goku Black in Xenoverse 2 pre-Rose (and at least some post Rose).
Kuririn referring to #18 as "babe" constantly. (Yeah, that's really some painfully accurate characterization there. /s)
Dubisms leaking into the Crunchyroll subs for the Japanese version of the anime (along with random stupid things that not even the dub uses like "King Kai Fist").
The aforementioned Satan Punch scene (way to ruin one of the funniest scenes in the entire franchise by using a painfully unfunny outtake!).
Goku talking about how he needs to get stronger so he can protect Goten and Chichi.

The man who's characterization partly revolves around saving the universe all the time can't say to his son that he wants to keep him & his wife/his son's biological mother safe, or declare to a legit threat to his planet that he'll stop him from destroying it? Considering how straight-up pissed Goku gets when he learns that Zamasu killed them after hijacking his body in an alternate timeline, I think that's perfectly enkeeping with his personality. He also reacts really violently to when he found Krillin dead in the Piccolo Daimao Arc, his best friend, goes to save his other son from his dick older brother in the Saiyan Saga, turns Super Saiyan after Frieza kills Krillin again in the Namek Arc after getting pissed again, works to make Gohan a better fighter to take Cell down, & teaches Goten & Trunks the fusion dance to defeat Buu (the later retcon that he says that he wanted to give them a chance to defeat Buu when he easily could've notwithstanding, since that arc was full of back-to-back asspulls, retcons, & just stupid shit in general from him), so I think that they're perfectly justified in bringing those parts of his character to the surface every so often in the dubs in few-second dialogue lines, y'know? Goku has several parts to his personality, remember. His heroic side, his simplistic side, his love of training & sparring/fighting, his love of food, & his love of his friends & family. Super blatantly shoves some of those to the side in its writing of Goku's character in a blatant attempt to adhear to what Toriyama set up in the manga & the anime did in the last 2 arcs of Z, since one of Toriyama's complaints about the Z anime was that he didn't care for them giving Goku some adaptational heroism. I imagine that was mostly in the filler & movies, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Kuririn referring to #18 as "babe" constantly. (Yeah, that's really some painfully accurate characterization there.)
The aforementioned Satan Punch scene (way to ruin one of the funniest scenes in the entire franchise by using a painfully unfunny outtake!)

Oh, a wife can't call her man good looking & acknowledge his intellect & a husband can't acknowledge his wife is hot. I see what you're getting at here.
In all seriousness, though, really? Videl's proud of Gohan being a scholar & why do you think Krillin married 18 in the first place? His whole thing about not using the remote to shut her off in Z to destroy her to make sure Cell didn't absorb her, as well as eliminate a threat from the world, was because he found her incredibly attractive. Having him acknowledge it in dialogue isn't that far removed from his characterization.
As for the "Satan Punch" scene, comedy is subjective, but I found that scene INCREDIBLY funny. The scene was set up as comic relief anyways, but I personally like that they included it. As Totally Not Mark has said in his evaluation of the dub thus far, the dub team's adapting a lot of the comedy to try to make it work for an English-speaking audience, since that's who the dub's marketed towards. Little touches like that are what I find funny. Japanese humor is often painfully over-the-top & obvious & I'm a person who either likes toned down or subversive comedy, or clever wordplay rather than over-the-top physical comedy, not that that doesn't have its place in comedy. That scene wouldn't have been nearly as funny to me if not for that outtake being thrown into the final mix. I've rarely laughed at Dragon Ball's comedy because it isn't often what I consider really funny, but that was hilarious! You're bound to find a lot of people who'll say the same.

I don't remember this, but then again, I don't watch that show, so to each their own.

Uncut dubbed Kai only had them call those by their original names the first times they're used. Why, I have no idea. Maybe it was a thing they were trying out, or the people mixing the dub dialogue for both the censored Nicktoons & uncut versions missed the trick, or maybe they just gave up on the attempt. I don't care for this either, since I think either having the original names, or translations of them, would work better. I LOVE the Viz translation of "Makankosoppo" being "Light of Death." I think that name's MUCH better. There's also the fact that Sonny Strait didn't pronounce "Kienzan" right. They also had him say "Taiyoken," but then later had Goku say "Solar Flare" instead in the same arc, I believe. It was weird & I'd rather either they went full out with it, or not done it at all.

I didn't like that either, but that boiled down to them not having the necessary info on his character, since they had yet to see that arc in Super, since it had just started by the time he was announced for the game. Plus, the fact that people said Nozawa used a variant on her SS4 Goku voice from GT for him didn't translate well AT ALL overseas, since Schemmel's variation on the SS4 voice was VERY different to hers. It created a very noticeable vocal dissonance between his lines & the voice, plus narm with the cutscenes. I hope they've heavily modified his voice for the upcoming dub of the arc.
His Rose voice...I don't like, but I understand why others would. It's a step in the right direction, but him being British for no reason is something I hope they either keep limited to that form for the show's dub, or they just drop entirely, since it could be established when he brags about how he loves the color & has finally accepted making Goku's body his own. At least, that's what they could say. His normal pre-Rose voice should just be Schemmel's Goku voice when Goku's serious, just with the arrogance &/or overconfidence turned up a few notches.

I don't think anyone was expected to take that seriously.

"King Kai Fist" was used in Budokai 1 & 2 as a translation of "Kaioken," but I agree it's stupid, especially when THE DUB uses "Kaioken," even when they pronounced it wrong at first back in the day.
As for the Crunchyroll subs, they apparently get them from Toei themselves, or at least that's what I heard, so blame them. FUNi had no input there. My train of thought on this one is that Toei wants to make sure they're accessible to the people who've only seen the dubs by using mainly their terminologies. The main problem with this, however, is that people KNOW it's not the dub, so doing that makes no sense, especially when FUNi's subs on their home releases done by Simmons are better done (I've also heard that the dub's more accurately translated than the official subs, but I don't know how true that is, so take that with a grain of salt).
The one translation choice that even sticks into some of the games that I don't get is "Hercule" instead of Mr. Satan. They stopped using that name for him in GT all the way back in 2005, so I don't know why the newer games still use it. BZ also has that problem & I wouldn't expect that to be a problem in Asia because they wouldn't have the same baggage, right? I don't know.
Anyways, yeah, the subs for the Japanese having dubisms in the names makes no sense to me & I don't like that practice, especially what I've heard "Kaio-sama" translated to, "King Kai-sama," which is just stupid.
Nia wrote:You're not gonna tell me that shit is "natural" sounding.
It really depends on what you consider "natural." Those isolated lines aren't really counting, as far as I'm concerned. Were they in the Japanese? No. Do they fit in English? I'd say yeah. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.
Nia wrote:FUNI still pulls that kind of crap all the time. It's not as noticeable as it was back in Z, but it got pretty noticeable after around the first half of the Freeza arc of Kai... and this is just stuff I've come across from barely paying attention to FUNImation's dub. Nobody is asking for a perfect 1:1 dub, but you're honestly deluded if you think ANY of those "jokes" are an improvement over the Japanese version.
It's one thing to alter something that simply doesn't work in English, but altering it for the sake of alteration isn't an improvement. It doesn't matter if it's a "slice of life" episode, or a filler episode, or a gag character.
It's only really noticeable if you're looking to critique their dub, which I think you were. Personally, I go into a dub looking for entertainment value & accuracy. If a dub can straddle that line well, I think it's what I'd call a good dub. Not all of those lines you pointed out were jokes.
And here's also a thing, the flipside can also be true. An episode can be dull no matter the language. I HATE the Battle of Gods arc, but love the movie. The dub alleviated some of the terrible pacing issues & some other things that I think I wouldn't have cared for if I were watching the sub, but that doesn't alter the fact that that arc's hot garbage. However, here's the thing. Why do you think the slice of life episodes exist? Or gag characters? They're meant to entertain &/or bring comic relief. Cowboy Bebop's 95% slice-of-life/standalone episodes & the dub worked around those things to make them enjoyable to an English-speaking audience. If it's to alter the comedy slightly, or bring something extra to a scene, that makes it more enjoyable to its intended new audience, I say go for it. Not everything's going to translate to a new audience 100%. I'm not saying alter it completely, but if there's something needed to help it translate properly, I don't mind.
Nia wrote:As for Goku's hickspeak, the least they could do is make him use "ain't" and mispronounce words occasionally (BZ also ignores this, but at least makes up for it by actually having him sound like a laid-back, oblivious goof).
Labrys in Persona 4 Arena had a Kyoto accent that was dubbed as a Chicago accent and the character was just as memorable and believable as they were in Japanese, so there's no reason they couldn't do a similar thing with Goku.
"Ain't," I wouldn't mind if they influenced into the script every so often. An accent...I don't know. Again, I don't think I could take that seriously. Sean's voice works already, so I don't see the reason to do such a thing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Nia wrote:
(Gonna cut the quote out just to save on space; apologies in advance if I miss something in my response because I'm too lazy to do formatting)

The "heroic" side of Goku was in a few parts even outside of filler/movies (actually, I think the movies often made Goku closer to his manga counterpart). One particular one was a slightly longer speech against Freeza before using the Kaioken x20.
Goku didn't generally do that stuff out of a sense of heroism. He mostly did it because of a personal grudge. That stuff is usually outright revenge; particularly with Freeza and Zamasu. You don't need to look any further than his dialogue against Freeza, where his speech pattern changed entirely, and became much more outwardly malicious. Admittedly, Goku doesn't like to see needless death, but those were almost entirely personal, not to mention the fight with Freeza was where he finally accepted himself as a Saiyajin (and began to become more and more... shall we say "primal?"; it was where the contrast between him and Vegeta started to switch sides, with Vegeta gaining more humanity while Goku became more of a battle junkie).
Remember, Goku doesn't view his family as family; they're basically just friends to him. He certainly gets mad when they get hurt or injured, but his priority is almost always "I wanna punch the strong guy!"
Also, the Goten and Trunks one is a REALLY bad one to reference, given that it was entirely just Goku being a dumbass. It had nothing to do with protecting the future; he straight up referred to them as a gamble and actually had no faith in them. There's no reason why he couldn't have obliterated Buu and still taught them Fusion for future threats. Rather amusingly, nearly every bad thing that happens in that arc is ultimately Goku's fault.
As I said, maybe that IS a bit nitpicky, but it was still an unnecessary change.

I'm not against those characters showing affection at their spouses, but those are things that NEITHER character would ever say. Kuririn is always super polite to his wife in the Japanese version, and that line Videl spouted just screams "cringe." I'm not saying he needs to call her #18-san in English or anything (while I do like honorifics being used in some dubs, I don't think it's a necessity in Dragon Ball), but him calling her babe just sounds entirely out of character. It doesn't help that I swear they follow it up with #18 always saying "he's so cool" in the dub, despite her wanting him to be careful in the Japanese version. Considering how tight of a family they are, it just makes me feel like they're trying to write them like a sitcom family.
As for the Satan Punch scene... your complaint is that Japanese humor tends to be extremely over-the-top, which may be the case, but... the scene itself is clearly over the top. I don't see how the outtake was funny. It didn't need any explanation; we knew Goku was stopping and getting his tractor, and then flying off with said tractor, doing an overdramatic scream just to escape his wife. We didn't need the half-assed yell, followed by "oh I forgot this." There's a phrase for this: "Don't explain the joke." And honestly, you're the first person I've seen actually defend the FUNI version of this scene.
It's not like the joke in DBZ movie 2, where Bulma makes a pun about brains upon seeing Dr. Uiro (I believe she yells out "ono" which is a word meaning something like brain, but sounds like "Oh no!"; my memory is foggy on this point). That joke simply wouldn't translate into English, and as far as I know, the dubs ignore the pun. I get that kind of change; this one just felt like they were trying to inject humor into what was already a damn funny scene, and in doing so, made it just lame.

I don't watch The Price is Right either. But I have no doubt that's what it was referencing, given Beerus' vocal inflection during the line.

I don't care much for the "Light of Death" name (which I believe was changed to that due to space limitations or something?), but I certainly prefer it to "Special Beam Cannon." It's also awkward that they finally pronounced Kaioken correctly (only took them a full decade after Ocean did it; allow me a moment to fanboy over the Pioneer/Ocean dubs of the first three movies despite still using Spirit Bomb instead of Genki-dama and mispronouncing Saiyan... no point in this discussion, I just really love those movie dubs).
I agree with this poin thought; they should have gone all in or not at all. It still annoys me seeing those names in the games when I have the Japanese voice track on, but I suppose hoping for Japanese subtitles is hoping for something that will never happen.

I know they didn't have much info on Black at the time, but was there any reason to not just use the Japanese lines? I mean, the performance probably wouldn't have been impressive, but at least nobody would have ever heard some of those lines.
I... actually don't hate his Rose voice. I'm even fine with the British accent, but it definitely seems weird given how Zamasu has no comparable accent.
I believe he's using the Rose voice full time now, but I wouldn't quote me on that. I do find it weird that he considers each form a different character (something he more or less said in a Twitter post, but I don't remember the specifics). To give the man credit, while I HATE his Goku voice... I don't hate the performance he gives for SSJ Goku most of the time (I think it sounds too smug for Goku rather than blunt and serious, but the actual performance was good), and I do think he finally learned how to emote as normal Goku in the DBS dub when acting the part of the doof, instead of just raising his voice to obnoxiously loud levels, so I do think when they dub the Future Trunks arc, he won't be the worst part of it.
...Unless the directing becomes really half-assed like XV2's.

That's... kinda the problem. Hit is a serious character. I don't think the line is necessarily a poor translation of a character more or less saying "time to get to work," but it's completely out-of-character for him. Hit isn't particularly humorous, and it feels like they're just trying to force in bad humor where it doesn't belong. It sounds like something Mr. Satan would say, not a grumpy 1000 year old assassin. The line itself is more or less a Woolseyism, but using it for that particular character is just wrong.

I'm aware King Kai Fist wa used in the first two Budokai games, and... it was really weird there. It's... not entirely wrong, admittedly, but there's no reason for that to be a thing. Also if I read Goku saying the word "delish" one more time, I'm gonna deck somebody... he's a hick, not a vapid valley girl. Honestly the subtitles are just pure wonk in a lot of ways. I do imagine that they had Simmons redo the subtitles, since I can't imagine the fanbase would be too pleased with the Crunchyroll subtitles crapping all over the Japanese voice track; it's bad enough they have to endure it on the site... I imagine people going berserk if they bought the DVDs and got the same poor translation.
I actually find it unintentionally hilarious that BZ uses "Hercule" but in episode titles, the attack names, and the name of the city they have no problem saying "Satan." I blame that more on Cartoon Network/Turner Asia than the dub itself given the amount of censorship (which is probably my biggest gripe with the dub), but it is frustrating either way.
It's not even "King Kai-sama." They always write the honorifics without the - inbetween, there's just a space. I don't know if that's considered wrong or not, but it really bugs me. Seeing "Beerus sama" just looks weird to the eye, instead of Beerus-sama. I'd even gladly take Lord Beerus. I feel like those subs are done somewhat accurately, then somebody with a bottle of scotch does a hatchet job on them.

I generally say if it's not something I could understand someone saying unironically in person, then it's probably not natural. Then again, I think "it can't be helped" sounds entirely natural, and a lot of people claim no native English speaker would ever say that. But I certainly wouldn't find someone calling their significant other "arm candy" or saying "[name] likey" without a hint of irony all that natural.

Most dubs I really only critique on a surface level. If it sounds good, then it usually won't cross my mind (most anime I watch an episode in English, then watch it in Japanese, and whichever one I like more, I go with). Dragon Ball is a different case because of the butchering it's suffered over the years, and frankly... FUNImation has never (and probably will never) do a good dub of the series. That's not to say there's not good aspects to it. It's obviously no secret that I love Chris Ayers' Freeza, I think Dameon Clarke was pretty fun as Cell despite being almost the polar opposite of Norio Wakamoto's performance, even if I dislike Schemmel's Goku voice I can appreciate some of his performances, etc. But in general, it still sounds amateur to me, and honestly, I find that many of the "imitations" whether in the parodies or even the BZ dub are often much better than the FUNI dub actors, and the oft watered down dialogue, characterizations and the changed lines for the sake of changed lines ruin it.
I also hated the BoG arc in Super, and only watched the BZ dub of it due to enjoying a fresh take on it. Truth be told, despite preferring the Japanese voice cast, I probably enjoyed that and the Golden Freeza arc better in the BZ dub. With the parts of the FUNI dub I've seen, it was either stuff I heard about, or stuff I caught when it was on TV and I was too lazy to change the channel (I'll admit, I may seek out the Fake Vegeta arc simply to hear Brian Drummond's Vegeta again).
The slice of life episodes do not exist for that sole reason; they're usually made for the sake of character development. Yes, they tend to be humorous, but you're severely marginalizing them. Many people cite the slice of life episodes of the Future Trunks arc as being part of the reason why it worked so well (namely Trunks interacting with the past characters, and reaffirming why he still fights). As for gag characters, there's certainly a point where they just don't work in English without alterations, but Dragon Ball has plenty of humor that makes plenty of sense in English and doesn't need rewrites. None of these changes "helped to translate it properly." An example of something that wouldn't work in English was the joke in the original Dragon Ball about the English words punch and panties sounding the same in Japanese. Viz didn't alter this joke in the English manga, and it took me a while to catch on to it. It's not something that really works in English. I don't know how FUNI or Blue Water changed it (been too long since I saw the FUNI dub of that episode, and sadly have never seen the Blue Water dub), but I imagine it was completely different in at least the FUNI dub, given how they watered down Kame'senin's perversions (though I don't think they ever went and made him have gambling debts :P).
In the case of Cowboy Bebop (to the best of my knowledge; I've never bothered to watch the Japanese version) were most likely altered because they simply don't make sense in an English context. Now, mind you, I wouldn't quote me on that.
A good example of a rewrite is a bit (once again using this franchise) in Persona 4. The character Naoto Shirogane is somewhat self-conscious about her speaking mannerisms if the protagonist enters a relationship with her. In the Japanese version, she asks if using the masculine word for "I" is weird. Obviously, that doesn't translate into English, because we don't have gender specific nouns for the first person. So the translators rewrote the line to reflect her speaking tone. It was a clever rewrite of the scene that keeps the original spirit intact while making it make sense in English. FUNImation's changes to the Dragon Ball dubs are rarely to help it make sense in English.
Remember, Goku's entire personality was rewritten back in Z for the sole purpose of "making him more relateable to American audiences" and in doing so, completely ruined everything that makes Goku who he is. While the changes may not be as extreme these days, they still don't "improve" anything, or make it work better in an English context.

Sorry, but I don't agree. I've never thought Schemmel was well cast as Goku, and I never will.
And it is something that loses the character's traits in the process, since the lack of his accent entirely or lack of mispronunciations just make him sound like 99% of the rest of the cast, to the point where you could swap out any other character's line and nobody would ever know.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:04 pm

"Oh, 脳!" (Sounds like "Oh, no". 脳 means "brain".)

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:33 pm

usotsuki wrote:"Oh, 脳!" (Sounds like "Oh, no". 脳 means "brain".)
I think that was the joke from movie 2, yeah. Couldn't remember exactly what it was!
Much appreciated! :thumbup:

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:02 am

Nia wrote:

Most dubs I really only critique on a surface level. If it sounds good, then it usually won't cross my mind (most anime I watch an episode in English, then watch it in Japanese, and whichever one I like more, I go with). Dragon Ball is a different case because of the butchering it's suffered over the years, and frankly... FUNImation has never (and probably will never) do a good dub of the series. That's not to say there's not good aspects to it. It's obviously no secret that I love Chris Ayers' Freeza, I think Dameon Clarke was pretty fun as Cell despite being almost the polar opposite of Norio Wakamoto's performance, even if I dislike Schemmel's Goku voice I can appreciate some of his performances, etc. But in general, it still sounds amateur to me, and honestly, I find that many of the "imitations" whether in the parodies or even the BZ dub are often much better than the FUNI dub actors, and the oft watered down dialogue, characterizations and the changed lines for the sake of changed lines ruin it.
I also hated the BoG arc in Super, and only watched the BZ dub of it due to enjoying a fresh take on it. Truth be told, despite preferring the Japanese voice cast, I probably enjoyed that and the Golden Freeza arc better in the BZ dub. With the parts of the FUNI dub I've seen, it was either stuff I heard about, or stuff I caught when it was on TV and I was too lazy to change the channel (I'll admit, I may seek out the Fake Vegeta arc simply to hear Brian Drummond's Vegeta again).
What do you mean never will ? They did produce a good dub for this series and that was DBZ Kai. I mean, the Superior voice acting and a script that was actually closer to the Japanese version unlike the original horrendous dub, so don't ignore that

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Issei189 wrote:
Nia wrote:

What do you mean never will ? They did produce a good dub for this series and that was DBZ Kai. I mean, the Superior voice acting and a script that was actually closer to the Japanese version unlike the original horrendous dub, so don't ignore that
Being better than the crap they previously produced isn't hard. And honestly, I don't think most of the acting was all that much better. I will say the new cast members introduced were great, especially Chris Ayers as Freeza (who, in case nobody noticed, I have nothing but praise for), but honestly, I still wouldn't rate that dub any better than a 6/10 at best (maybe 7 when Freeza is talking). If you'll allow me to fanboy for just a moment... listen to any line in that dub by virtually any actor, and then compare that to anything said by Freeza. His performance is miles beyond anything any other actor in that dub does, and it seems, for whatever reason, Freeza is the only one given any sort of special care to make him have a unique speech style. It's even more frustrating when I've heard the cast in plenty of other things and generally sound fine.
I think most of the main cast still is pretty bad, and while the script was closer to the source material, there's still really weird liberties taken. On top of that, it's just painfully inconsistent at times (attack names constantly changing and them never replacing Freeza's voice in the opening to the first episode).
Granted, it was a bit of hyperbole since Kai's dub is somewhat watcheable (not to mention FUNImation technically produced the Ocean dub, which had the first three movies under it's belt which I'd honestly say were amazingly well dubbed, and even the TV Ocean dub had good production values and acting), but too many characters still sound the same, and some of the actors really phoned it in. I may recognize Kai as their best in-house Dragon Ball dub, but I still find it to be inferior to most anime dubs in general, and certainly nowhere near the realm of something like Code Geass, Death Note, or either of the Ufotable Fate series.
I'll certainly give it points for what it gets right, but I still stand by Kai being mostly mediocre as far as dubs go. It's an improvement for sure, but it's like the difference in voice acting between Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2: not a high bar to surpass, and while there are really good voices/performances in there, the majority of it still isn't anything impressive.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Nia wrote:
Issei189 wrote:
Nia wrote:

Being better than the crap they previously produced isn't hard. And honestly, I don't think most of the acting was all that much better. I will say the new cast members introduced were great, especially Chris Ayers as Freeza (who, in case nobody noticed, I have nothing but praise for), but honestly, I still wouldn't rate that dub any better than a 6/10 at best (maybe 7 when Freeza is talking). If you'll allow me to fanboy for just a moment... listen to any line in that dub by virtually any actor, and then compare that to anything said by Freeza. His performance is miles beyond anything any other actor in that dub does, and it seems, for whatever reason, Freeza is the only one given any sort of special care to make him have a unique speech style. It's even more frustrating when I've heard the cast in plenty of other things and generally sound fine.
I think most of the main cast still is pretty bad, and while the script was closer to the source material, there's still really weird liberties taken. On top of that, it's just painfully inconsistent at times (attack names constantly changing and them never replacing Freeza's voice in the opening to the first episode).
Granted, it was a bit of hyperbole since Kai's dub is somewhat watcheable (not to mention FUNImation technically produced the Ocean dub, which had the first three movies under it's belt which I'd honestly say were amazingly well dubbed, and even the TV Ocean dub had good production values and acting), but too many characters still sound the same, and some of the actors really phoned it in. I may recognize Kai as their best in-house Dragon Ball dub, but I still find it to be inferior to most anime dubs in general, and certainly nowhere near the realm of something like Code Geass, Death Note, or either of the Ufotable Fate series.
I'll certainly give it points for what it gets right, but I still stand by Kai being mostly mediocre as far as dubs go. It's an improvement for sure, but it's like the difference in voice acting between Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2: not a high bar to surpass, and while there are really good voices/performances in there, the majority of it still isn't anything impressive.
I was a fan of Ian Corrlet's Goku, but right now I don't want to discuss about the Ocean dub, so Why you think the main cast is still bad ? I Objectively don't see anything wrong about them besides Vegeta who sounded like Piccolo in Kai and Currently, he sounds like a meat grinder in DBS
Last edited by Issei189 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Issei189 wrote: I was a fan of Ian Corrlet's Goku, but right now I don't want to discuss about the Ocean dub, so Why you think the main cast is still bad ? I Objectively don't see anything wrong about them besides Vegeta who sounded like Piccolo in Kai and Currently, he sounds like a meat grinder in DBS
I find most of them miscast, and many of them to be bland, whether from poor writing and poor acting.
I've never liked Sean Schemmel's Goku voice, though as I stated before, I do think he's been giving a good performance in Super, but outside of his "serious" Goku voice, most of his emoting until DBS was just raising his voice, whether it was Goku getting happy or angry.
I fully agree with you on Sabat's Vegeta... it sounds near identical to his Piccolo in Kai, and frankly, I think even his Yamcha sounds like them there. All his characters sound the same, and it's especially painful when you remember that he's the voice director.
Sonny Strait's Kuririn just... I don't like that voice, I don't like the performance, and I especially don't like how he's written. (However, I do really like his Bardock; that's a solid performance). He comes off as someone trying desperately to sound cool; this type of performance and writing sounds more akin to Yamcha than Kuririn.
I actually did enjoy Colleen Clickenbeard's Gohan since it never made me cringe and cover my ears like Nadolny's always did, though I think it's a bit too feminine.
Goten and Trunks are both fine, no complaints there (even if I prefer their BZ counterparts, I think both of these characters are perfectly fine, and I hadn't even noticed when Laura Bailey dropped Trunks and was replaced).
I used to really like Eric Vale's Future Trunks, but these days he's phoning it in so bad, and has that weird rasp to it all the time. That one is actually upsetting considering how good he used to sound.
I... actually have nothing negative to say about John Burgemeier's Tenshinhan. I think that one is excellent casting, so I'm always a bit surprised when people seem to dislike him.
I think Kyle Herbert is worse in Kai as Gohan than he was in Z. I can't explain why, but something about him sounds really off now. He's another one I didn't particularly dislike (along with Videl, who also sounded worse in Kai, for the same reasons).

Again, a there may be a bit of hyperbole, but of the cast introduced in season 3 that remained, I don't think there's any listed that I like other than Tenshinhan. The casting got better as the show went on for sure, but many who were there and remained there even in Kai just don't do the characters or the dub any favors. The recasts in Kai are all pretty good, but I think they should have recast more than just Gohan. The acting in general always sounds so forced to me for many of those characters. I don't hear the characters in those performances much of time; I'm just hearing the actor struggling to do a voice.

But, this is starting to get waaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic (apologies to everyone for that, since I think I'm probably the one who got it off the rails).

To try getting it back on point, almost every character I mentioned there, with the exception of Tenshinhan, I think is more in line and better acted than their FUNI counterpart (and obviously kid Gohan, since I don't believe he's been shown even in a flashack yet) in the BZ dub. Even Kaiji Tang's Vegeta, which was clearly inspired by Sabat's, sounds more natural in his performance. It doesn't hurt he toned down the impression after the initial appearance.
...Granted, that could be my inner fanboy of his performance of Archer in Unlimited Blade Works, but I'm gonna stand by that statement!
The only thing that I find inferior in the main cast regarding those characters is Lex Lang's yells still feel a bit off, but despite that, he makes up for it by clearly understanding Goku's laid-back personality, and completely selling the character's silly obliviousness.

usotsuki

Post by usotsuki » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:35 pm

For what it's worth, apart from her DB work, I mainly know Colleen Clinkenbeard as Ran Mouri from Detective Conan, and she does, I think, pretty well there.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Nia wrote:
Issei189 wrote: I was a fan of Ian Corrlet's Goku, but right now I don't want to discuss about the Ocean dub, so Why you think the main cast is still bad ? I Objectively don't see anything wrong about them besides Vegeta who sounded like Piccolo in Kai and Currently, he sounds like a meat grinder in DBS
I find most of them miscast, and many of them to be bland, whether from poor writing and poor acting.
I've never liked Sean Schemmel's Goku voice, though as I stated before, I do think he's been giving a good performance in Super, but outside of his "serious" Goku voice, most of his emoting until DBS was just raising his voice, whether it was Goku getting happy or angry.
I fully agree with you on Sabat's Vegeta... it sounds near identical to his Piccolo in Kai, and frankly, I think even his Yamcha sounds like them there. All his characters sound the same, and it's especially painful when you remember that he's the voice director.
Sonny Strait's Kuririn just... I don't like that voice, I don't like the performance, and I especially don't like how he's written. (However, I do really like his Bardock; that's a solid performance). He comes off as someone trying desperately to sound cool; this type of performance and writing sounds more akin to Yamcha than Kuririn.
I actually did enjoy Colleen Clickenbeard's Gohan since it never made me cringe and cover my ears like Nadolny's always did, though I think it's a bit too feminine.
Goten and Trunks are both fine, no complaints there (even if I prefer their BZ counterparts, I think both of these characters are perfectly fine, and I hadn't even noticed when Laura Bailey dropped Trunks and was replaced).
I used to really like Eric Vale's Future Trunks, but these days he's phoning it in so bad, and has that weird rasp to it all the time. That one is actually upsetting considering how good he used to sound.
I... actually have nothing negative to say about John Burgemeier's Tenshinhan. I think that one is excellent casting, so I'm always a bit surprised when people seem to dislike him.
I think Kyle Herbert is worse in Kai as Gohan than he was in Z. I can't explain why, but something about him sounds really off now. He's another one I didn't particularly dislike (along with Videl, who also sounded worse in Kai, for the same reasons).

Again, a there may be a bit of hyperbole, but of the cast introduced in season 3 that remained, I don't think there's any listed that I like other than Tenshinhan. The casting got better as the show went on for sure, but many who were there and remained there even in Kai just don't do the characters or the dub any favors. The recasts in Kai are all pretty good, but I think they should have recast more than just Gohan. The acting in general always sounds so forced to me for many of those characters. I don't hear the characters in those performances much of time; I'm just hearing the actor struggling to do a voice.

But, this is starting to get waaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic (apologies to everyone for that, since I think I'm probably the one who got it off the rails).

To try getting it back on point, almost every character I mentioned there, with the exception of Tenshinhan, I think is more in line and better acted than their FUNI counterpart (and obviously kid Gohan, since I don't believe he's been shown even in a flashack yet) in the BZ dub. Even Kaiji Tang's Vegeta, which was clearly inspired by Sabat's, sounds more natural in his performance. It doesn't hurt he toned down the impression after the initial appearance.
...Granted, that could be my inner fanboy of his performance of Archer in Unlimited Blade Works, but I'm gonna stand by that statement!
The only thing that I find inferior in the main cast regarding those characters is Lex Lang's yells still feel a bit off, but despite that, he makes up for it by clearly understanding Goku's laid-back personality, and completely selling the character's silly obliviousness.
This was a matter of personal preference, so no worries. I don't like Lex Lang's Goku voice and find it to be unfitting, so I consider him as a miscast. Now except for Funi Vegeta, Funi Trunks and BZ Goku, I don't have any problem with anyone. Also, I find it odd that you consider the Funimation VA's to be miscast, but the not the BZ guys xD

I guess this was your BZ fanboyism that kicked in, but no problem, let's move on

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Issei189 wrote: This was a matter of personal preference, so no worries. I don't like Lex Lang's Goku voice and find it to be unfitting, so I consider him as a miscast. Now except for Funi Vegeta, Funi Trunks and BZ Goku, I don't have any problem with anyone. Also, I find it odd that you consider the Funimation VA's to be miscast, but the not the BZ guys xD

I guess this was your BZ fanboyism that kicked in, but no problem, let's move on
There's definitely a bit of fanboyism on my part for sure, but a lot of the reason why I prefer many of the BZ guys is entirely in their performances and tones. Something about it just strikes me as sounding more natural. But many of these voice actors I'm only partially familiar with (the only role I knew Lex Lang from beforehand without looking it up was his Gohan performance way back in Final Bout, for instance).
It's the same way why, despite being an unofficial parody, I prefer many of the TFS voices to FUNI's, even when they're straight up trying to copy them.

In the case of Lex Lang's Goku, the voice isn't what I'd typically pick for Goku (honestly, finding a fitting voice for Goku in English is kinda difficult, since you probably don't want him sounding like Nozawa too much in English, but you still want that 'youthful doofus" sound; part of the reason why I always enjoyed Peter Kelamis' performance), but when he's speaking, particularly during moments when Goku is being a total dipstick, he really sells the personality. I wound up liking him a lot more than I was expecting, though I can see how it might throw a few people for a loop.
[spoiler]On a side-note, I think if I were to cast someone as Goku out of any voice actor I'm familiar with, it would be Roger Craig Smith, doing something inbetween his Chris Redfield voice and his Sonic voice. I feel like he has the range, and can definitely pull off the role. But that's a topic for a thread elsewhere.[/spoiler]

WitlessMass

Post by WitlessMass » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 am

Does anyone know if the dub has ACTUALLY been cancelled? Can someone ask Lex Lang or Kaiji Tang or even BangZoom on Twitter? Cause the people at Toonami Asia are ignorant as hell, they never reply.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 am

WitlessMass wrote:Does anyone know if the dub has ACTUALLY been cancelled? Can someone ask Lex Lang or Kaiji Tang or even BangZoom on Twitter? Cause the people at Toonami Asia are ignorant as hell, they never reply.
From what we've heard, no one's been asked to record additional episodes in months and there's been no indication that would change soon.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 am

No one's posted it yet, but I thought that Alan Smithee of YouTube uploaded a more fair critique and look into the BZ Dub than what was previously linked in this thread.

THE GOOD: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SYg-lE9B6Xw/hqde ... k39YcUx6Ig

THE BAD: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zO1OlgoZBng/hqde ... 4geTz2ZFOA

THE GOKU: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZawvEdPvABM/hqde ... 58lGPJjX4A