"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 am

I like Clinkenbeard's Luffy, but she can be a bit raspy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I like Clinkenbeard's Luffy, but she can be a bit raspy.
Funnily enough, the raspiness in her voice was actually ramped up because Toei requested that it be more raspy

Anyways, I still don't understand why they didn't cast someone like Ben Diskin or someone with a more suitable voice as Goku. Lex's deeper voice doesn't sound right when made to be all high pitched and child like and it makes it hard to believe that he's channeling Goku when it sounds like he's trying way too hard
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:04 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Funnily enough, the raspiness in her voice was actually ramped up because Toei requested that it be more raspy

Anyways, I still don't understand why they didn't cast someone like Ben Diskin or someone with a more suitable voice as Goku. Lex's deeper voice doesn't sound right when made to be all high pitched and child like and it makes it hard to believe that he's channeling Goku when it sounds like he's trying way too hard
Sometimes he sounds like a poor man's Schemmel, at least to me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:

He's definitely trying to emulate what Schemmel has going on but his voice can't perfect the type of sound that his voice gives off because Schemmel's voice isn't anywhere near as deep as Lex's
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Nah, she's a good Luffy
Yeah, but not my ideal pick, nor FUNi's actually. I like her as Luffy, but not Goku.
Actually, she was Mike McFarland and Christopher Bevins' top pick for Luffy when they sent multiple voices for the characters to Toei to have Oda choose from and Oda chose her. So yeah, she was their ideal pick and thankfully enough Oda ended up choosing her
Even though they first wanted Eric Vale to voice him before 4Kids got the license, then they did. I'm betting she was their top choice AFTER they learned Toei wanted a woman to voice Luffy in English as well as Japanese, so they focused on that.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Funnily enough, the raspiness in her voice was actually ramped up because Toei requested that it be more raspy

He's definitely trying to emulate what Schemmel has going on but his voice can't perfect the type of sound that his voice gives off because Schemmel's voice isn't anywhere near as deep as Lex's
Probably because Schemmel is more of a baritone & his Goku voice is just a modification of his regular voice, which isn't even that deep in the first place. Lex DEFINITELY was a bad casting choice. He should've been cast as Gohan rather than Goku, since he sounded like Kyle Hebert when he voiced him in Final Bout anyways, & Gohan's more of a character where a deeper voice fits than Goku anyways.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Yeah, but not my ideal pick, nor FUNi's actually. I like her as Luffy, but not Goku.
Actually, she was Mike McFarland and Christopher Bevins' top pick for Luffy when they sent multiple voices for the characters to Toei to have Oda choose from and Oda chose her. So yeah, she was their ideal pick and thankfully enough Oda ended up choosing her
Even though they first wanted Eric Vale to voice him before 4Kids got the license, then they did. I'm betting she was their top choice AFTER they learned Toei wanted a woman to voice Luffy in English as well as Japanese, so they focused on that.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Sometimes he sounds like a poor man's Schemmel, at least to me.
Probably because Schemmel is more of a baritone & his Goku voice is just a modification of his regular voice, which isn't even that deep in the first place. Lex DEFINITELY was a bad casting choice. He should've been cast as Gohan rather than Goku, since he sounded like Kyle Hebert when he voiced him in Final Bout anyways, & Gohan's more of a character where a deeper voice fits than Goku anyways.
The Toei request came before auditions so no, she was always their top choice, don't know why that's so hard to grasp. Mike said that the test dub with Vale was rushed so it wasn't a thorough casting decision or one that was indicative of what they wanted

Thesagebeast

Post by Thesagebeast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 am

Wow they censored the punch :sick:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:20 am

Thesagebeast wrote:Wow they censored the punch :sick:
Where Goku tests his strength at Kuririn?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Now that I've heard him in an actual episode, I can say without question that I dislike Derek Stephen Prince's Frieza. It is WAY too forced and it's trying too hard to be evil

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm going to have to hear more. It sounds like the voice is right, though the choice to make him overthetop and loud rather than more relaxed deliveries was kind of the wrong direction for that particular scene.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:27 pm

DSP sounds a bit off from the clip I've saw of him.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 pm

On the plus side, Sean Chiplock sounds pretty good as Future Trunks from what little we've heard of him in Episode 19 and that's probably the most positive thing that I've ever said about this dub

Thesagebeast

Post by Thesagebeast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 pm

This quality isn't 720 p

Thesagebeast

Post by Thesagebeast » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 pm

I hate gokus voice it so 2D and monotone

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm

I've probably said this before, but:
I'm gonna be that guy and say I like Lex Lang's Goku a heck of a lot better than Schemmel's. : x

While I do think Lang could do a bit better with some of the yells, he seems to at least understand Goku's personality. I feel like Schemmel only just barely started to get that Goku is kinda an easy-going doofus in FUNI's DBS, and that before he only ever tried to make Goku sound like a "masculine tough guy," and frankly, his voice always sounded too "aged" to me for Goku. It doesn't help that I personally think 90% of his "emoting" was raising his voice, both for anger and excited, rather than trying to sound angry or excited.

Lang just completely sells it as a guy who never really thinks things through, and just kinda gets through life as a manchild who never quite grew up. He may not be my ideal casting for the role (personally, I'd like to see how Roger Craig Smith would do in the role or bring back Peter Kelamis), but I'm enjoying it just the same.

Also, his take on the tractor scene is infinitely better than Schemmel's, and didn't completely ruin the hilarity like Schemmel's god awful "improv."

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:22 pm

I do like their Champa (Kirk Thornton) and Vados. Both fit their characters really well. And Sean Chiplock left a pretty good impression as Trunks

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Brian beacock's krillin and Ray chase Piccolo performences are pretty underrated in my opinion, they capture the calm undertone of characters perfectly which other english VA's could not.
If only lex can tone down goofiness in his goku's voice a little and also cut down the beerus's godly accent a bit this dub is going to be amazing. Pretty much all voices are amazing at this point!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:55 am

I've only seen clips of this dub since episode 13. It's been a mixed bag overall. Lex Lang still doesn't work for me as Goku, I appreciate he tries but its too formal, would definitely be a better fit for Gohan. Kaiji Tang does a good job as Vegeta. Brian Beacock and Ray Chase are also decent enough as Krillin and Piccolo respectively. Still think Chris Rager is better as Mr Satan. Haven't heard Derek Stephen Prince yet but I'm very curious. It's not a bad dub but its not as good as the Funimation version.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Nia wrote:I've probably said this before, but:
I'm gonna be that guy and say I like Lex Lang's Goku a heck of a lot better than Schemmel's. : x

While I do think Lang could do a bit better with some of the yells, he seems to at least understand Goku's personality. I feel like Schemmel only just barely started to get that Goku is kinda an easy-going doofus in FUNI's DBS, and that before he only ever tried to make Goku sound like a "masculine tough guy," and frankly, his voice always sounded too "aged" to me for Goku. It doesn't help that I personally think 90% of his "emoting" was raising his voice, both for anger and excited, rather than trying to sound angry or excited.

Lang just completely sells it as a guy who never really thinks things through, and just kinda gets through life as a manchild who never quite grew up. He may not be my ideal casting for the role (personally, I'd like to see how Roger Craig Smith would do in the role or bring back Peter Kelamis), but I'm enjoying it just the same.
I tend to agree with this although I wouldn't go as far as to say he's overall better. Lex certainly has the character down pretty well, I think he's more convincing as the doofus manchild than Schemmel's voice tends to portray, I actually laughed at the part of him bursting through the wall, I felt Schemmel's version of that was unnecessarily over the top and came off as more crazy than anything else. I also still dig Lang's signature battle yells too but man, there's just something off about the speaking voice that really makes it hard for me to get used to his take. For example, the majority of episodes 16-17 have him almost constantly stuck in this meek higher register when talking to his friends and it got grating really fast. To me it just didn't feel like Goku because of how timid he sounded. Thankfully he does seem to have shaken some of that off during the episodes with Vegeta but I don't think his voice will ever be my ideal for Goku, despite how well he performs.

Anyway, I think it's too early to be judging Derek Stephen Prince as Freeza, especially since he mentioned that he'd be changing up the voice as things progressed. So far it's more or less what I expected; More over the top than Ayres' portrayal and a lot more maniacal sounding but it has potential to be a fun performance. Will be fun to hear him with the rest of the cast.
Last edited by NitroEX on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I've only seen clips of this dub since episode 13. It's been a mixed bag overall. Lex Lang still doesn't work for me as Goku, I appreciate he tries but its too formal, would definitely be a better fit for Gohan. Kaiji Tang does a good job as Vegeta. Brian Beacock and Ray Chase are also decent enough as Krillin and Piccolo respectively. Still think Chris Rager is better as Mr Satan. Haven't heard Derek Stephen Prince yet but I'm very curious. It's not a bad dub but its not as good as the Funimation version.
He did play that role in the Final Bout dub.