"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:For whatever it's worth, I'm friends/friendly acquaintances in real life with a few of the actors involved in the Bang-Zoom dub, as I'm an LA-based voice actor myself (albeit not a famous one, as my work is mostly commercials, promos, and non-broadcast narration). A few days ago, one of them posted on Facebook that they "hate" Dragon Ball Super now, and would explain why in more detail once they were given the OK to do so.

In the interest of not getting this voice actor in trouble, I won't say who it is or what role they played (although I will reveal at least that it's none of the voice actors who actually signed up for Kanzenshuu and commented on this thread). However, this actor was very, very, very excited to be a part of Dragon Ball, as this voice actor is a huge fan of the franchise. So, the timing of this announcement from Cartoon Network India, combined this voice actor's sudden change in attitude and their phrasing about talking about it in more detail once they were "given the OK," suggests that something happened behind the scenes with the Bang-Zoom dub.

It could mean several different things. Maybe this voice actor was recast. However, my interpretation--and I stress the word interpretation, here--is that the Bang-Zoom dub really has been cancelled, and the announcement video that TheRed259 brought up may very well be referring to the return of the show in the form of the FUNimation dub.
That would suck. :(

I'm not sure what to think about this actor "Hating" super... Surely they would already know it was over if it was over, and after the long hiatus since episode 27 was recorded, it wouldn't come as much of a surprise?
Perhaps it is just a recast, perhaps there's some big overhaul about how Bang Zoom are handling Super... I dunno...

One possibility is that Bang Zoom are staying on, but they've decided the quality of the first 27 episodes wasn't up to snuff, so they'll be re-recording the first 27, along with recording the remainder of the 52-episode order, and along with this, some actors have been recast; so the actors that are staying on have to redo all their previous work, and a bunch of the previous guys have been kicked off. That may be bad enough for an actor to come out and say they hate the show now...
Yeah, I don't know what to make of it. It sounds like whatever they hate isn't related to the show's story, since that's a casual discussion topic that nobody needs to be "given the OK" to talk about. I doubt Bang-Zoom did any re-recording, either, because it would be odd to put more money into a dub that, realistically, relatively few people are going to see.

...Then again, I can't rule that out either. It'd be unprofessional of me to reveal what Bang-Zoom or FUNimation pay for their non-union dubs (I can talk about the union rates since the union dubbing contract is publicly available for anyone to read), but what I can reveal is that Bang-Zoom's standard non-union dubbing rate is higher than FUNimation's. It seems to be an oddly recurring thing that the TV-only dubs of Dragon Ball that fewer people see compared to the FUNimation dub end up costing more than the FUNimation dub.

As for knowing whether it's over or not, they wouldn't necessarily know that. The only production information that actors know about is info that the producers have elected to reveal to them, and they're not under any obligation to reveal anything to the actors. Let's remember, Tamara Ryan only said that she assumed the dub was cancelled, she didn't outright confirm that it was.

We can only speculate until Super comes back on Toonami India, I guess!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 pm

All hope may not be lost for some of these guys, I was watching FUNi's dub of Fairy Tail:Dragon Cry and Ray Chase played Zash, the villain, and a few other LA people (not counting the likes of Haberkorn and Leigh) popped up too including Erica Mendez who recently popped up as a recurring character in FUNi's Gosick dub last year so now this is looking less like an isolated incident. FUNi's dub of DBS already has quite a few LA folk and given the intensity of the Universe Survival arc... you never know! This is Sabat too he is the type of guy I could totally see giving some of these guys a cameo or role. Chase could play one of the Namekians of U6 for example (if the other is who know who that would be truly amazing!)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Before getting all excited, shouldn't you guys wait to find out if Toonami India is airing more than just the first 27 episodes again?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 am

So, that ad said "16th of April"...

It's the 20th...

So, was it Bang Zoom episode 1 again?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So, that ad said "16th of April"...

It's the 20th...

So, was it Bang Zoom episode 1 again?
Yes, apparently it was the BZ dub from ep. 1 again (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... __tn__=C-R). Guess we'll see if they go beyond ep. 27 next month.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 pm

wjbraden wrote:Yes, apparently it was the BZ dub from ep. 1 again (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... __tn__=C-R). Guess we'll see if they go beyond ep. 27 next month.
Ah, I see. Thanks. At the very least, hopefully these reairings provide the opportunity for some new/better caps to be recorded...

I guess we'll see about where we go in a few weeks. Hopefully they stick with BZ, and do more episodes.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:19 pm

I'll admit, I ain't holding my breath for it to go past 27... but man am I hoping.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat May 12, 2018 2:05 am

^
I kinda am too, despite not being that big of a fan of the BZ dub. Would love to see how the cast improves.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun May 13, 2018 11:11 am

If this dub was better cast and had better voice direction, then yes, I'd love if Bang Zoom dubbed more episodes. But as it is, no.

God I wish Ocean had been given the job instead of Bang Zoom.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 pm

The casting is alright, and the direction is mostly good tbh

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.regula ... h-may/amp/

With Toonami India gone, it seems very likely that the Bang Zoom dub of Super is too. It had a good run.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Fri May 18, 2018 10:45 pm

gokaiblue wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.regula ... h-may/amp/

With Toonami India gone, it seems very likely that the Bang Zoom dub of Super is too. It had a good run.
The Bang Zoom dub moved to Cartoon Network India a long time ago.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat May 19, 2018 5:39 pm

^
Ah. I must've forgotten. My bad.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:50 am

So, have we got any word on whether we're going past episode 27? I've heard we've just about reached the #27 mark in the airing now.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Any updates on this dub?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:10 pm

IIRC, we should be past the #27 mark now, so either we've looped back around, or we've got into new material in some form, so I'm curious what has come of this.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Any updates? Are they on #28?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 pm

No news is bad news.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am

Seems like the dub truly is cancled. Ah well. Maybe they'll get to episode 28 someday.