"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thesagebeast

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Thesagebeast » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:56 pm

floofychan333 wrote:How do I watch this dub? Is it legal to watch online? Or do I have to wait until it comes out on DVD?
Not possible to watch it legal unless you live in Malaysia

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Who do you guys think Shenlong sounds like? It's confirmed as neither Neil Kaplan, Patrick Seitz, nor Richard Epcar, for starters.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

I typed out a whole list only to have the site log out on me, so I'm just going to copy/paste Nightmare's BTVA list.

Link: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/for ... tcount=112

Whis - Doug Erholtz (Confirmed via official website.)

Majin Boo - Spike Spencer(See above)

Android 18 - Tamara Ryan(Proof)

Tenshinhan - Ray Chase(Proof)

Oolong - Ray Chase(See above)

Vegeta(Young) - Kaiji Tang(Proof)

Lord Kaio - Michael McConnohie

Not officially confirmed, but likely

Goten - Philece Sampler (Compare Taokaka from Blazblue)

Trunks - Erika Mendez(Compare Gon from HunterxHunter)

Obviously these two also apply to Gotenks.

Beerus - John DeMita(Compare Satotz from HunterxHunter. Alias Archie Fletcher has the same last name as John DeMita's wife.)

Muten Roshi
- Kirk Thornton(General vocal resemblance. I'm personally not 100% sure of this one, but most people seem to roll with it.)

Emperor Pilaf - Tom Fahn(This is pretty close. If you want something even closer I can dig up a clip of Eugene Grant from The Big O.)

Mai - Julie Maddalena(Compare Pinky from Pac-Man)

Kibito Kai and the Narrator - David Vincent(General vocal resemblance for Kibito Kai. For narrator compare to the JoJo narrator.)

Old Kaioshin - Steve Kramer(Sounds like him really pushing his voice higher. Can be heard as several other extras on the show.)

Yamcha - Grant George(It's obviously him doing a surfer accent. Compare to just about anything he's ever done.)

"Seer" the Oracle Fish - Brian Beacock(Basically just Krillin with a filter.)

Dende - Michelle Ruff(General vocal resemblance.)

Gregory - Spike Spencer(Sounds like Buu.)

King Vegeta - Michael McConnohie(It's blatantly him, just like Grant George as Yamcha.)

Shenlong - Chris Terglaferia (the low-pitching makes it difficult to tell, but it's closer to him than any other dubbing actor, & Richard Epcar & Patrick Seitz both denied it).

On the subject of Patrick Seitz, he's not in this. I'm not sure if he's in FUNi's dub (& he's in a ton of their non-DB dubs), but as a lot of VA's have hinted, there might be some animosity to Turner for not airing FUNi's, or such. Actually I think that's part of the reason for the pseudonyms.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:46 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:On the subject of Patrick Seitz, he's not in this. I'm not sure if he's in FUNi's dub (& he's in a ton of their non-DB dubs), but as a lot of VA's have hinted, there might be some animosity to Turner for not airing FUNi's, or such. Actually I think that's part of the reason for the pseudonyms.
He writes for DB dubs I think so yeah makes sense it is not him.
Thesagebeast wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:How do I watch this dub? Is it legal to watch online? Or do I have to wait until it comes out on DVD?
Not possible to watch it legal unless you live in Malaysia
Well I think most SEA countries with Toonami are airing this and as for DVD there is a 0% chance that this dub will be released on DVD just like the westwood dub we gonna have rely on tv rips.

LexVO

Post by LexVO » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:45 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
LexVO wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I really don't hate him. The casting choice could have been much worse, but this Goku is just so meh compared to his counterparts
I appreciate all of your opinions. Given the circumstances, the timing, direction, hours of screaming, and many different guiding people... I am trying to adjust in a way that is true to the character. I obviously haven't found the sweet spot yet, but I'll keep doing my best to get there. If you guys really hate it, maybe we can get Steve Blum or Eric Kimerer to do it, if it gets picked up for more episodes.
Please don't give up, Mr. Lang. While others may not agree, I personally think you've come a long way in these ten episodes. A bit more pep in places and some more oomph in the big yells are the only suggestions I could make. Well, outside of directorial stuff like the pronunciation of Kamehameha (it shouldn't be pronounced like the Hawaiian king's name - that was an error in previous dubs) and the somewhat stilted scripts, bit that's oUT of your control. I really think you're doing a fantastic job now, and you can only get better from here. You have a lot of that childlike enthusiasm that Goku exudes and your Bruce Lee yells are great. Your portrayal is a bit different from other actors', but that's part of what I love about it - it's a breath of fresh air.

Also, while I love Sean Schemmel's portrayal, he's had over fifteen years to perfect his performance. Masako Nozawa, the truely definitive Goku, has been doing it for over thirty. You have big shoes to fill, but you're doing everything you can to bring Goku to life with your version despite that. So I don't want you to give up on the role - I want you to come back stronger. Plus, I think you'll really shine as Goku Black.

Lastly, one of my best friends would be very disappointed if you quit - he was super excited to hear that you were cast as Goku in this dub and really likes your performance. You might remember him as Sailor Doom from AWA last year. You don't want to disappoint Sailor Doom, do you?
For Sailor Doom!

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:17 am

LexVO wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
LexVO wrote: I appreciate all of your opinions. Given the circumstances, the timing, direction, hours of screaming, and many different guiding people... I am trying to adjust in a way that is true to the character. I obviously haven't found the sweet spot yet, but I'll keep doing my best to get there. If you guys really hate it, maybe we can get Steve Blum or Eric Kimerer to do it, if it gets picked up for more episodes.
Please don't give up, Mr. Lang. While others may not agree, I personally think you've come a long way in these ten episodes. A bit more pep in places and some more oomph in the big yells are the only suggestions I could make. Well, outside of directorial stuff like the pronunciation of Kamehameha (it shouldn't be pronounced like the Hawaiian king's name - that was an error in previous dubs) and the somewhat stilted scripts, bit that's oUT of your control. I really think you're doing a fantastic job now, and you can only get better from here. You have a lot of that childlike enthusiasm that Goku exudes and your Bruce Lee yells are great. Your portrayal is a bit different from other actors', but that's part of what I love about it - it's a breath of fresh air.

Also, while I love Sean Schemmel's portrayal, he's had over fifteen years to perfect his performance. Masako Nozawa, the truely definitive Goku, has been doing it for over thirty. You have big shoes to fill, but you're doing everything you can to bring Goku to life with your version despite that. So I don't want you to give up on the role - I want you to come back stronger. Plus, I think you'll really shine as Goku Black.

Lastly, one of my best friends would be very disappointed if you quit - he was super excited to hear that you were cast as Goku in this dub and really likes your performance. You might remember him as Sailor Doom from AWA last year. You don't want to disappoint Sailor Doom, do you?
For Sailor Doom!
For sailor doom!!!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:23 am

SERA DOOM NO TAME NI!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 am

So from tomorrow episodes won't be uploaded in facebook like he usually did (he is quitting recording of most of his regular shows it seems so he is deleting his site) and his facebook page might go inactive, but he will be recording dragon ball super and I think most people here know where to find it, if incase someone doesn't know where, feel free to ask (i won't post any links here so)..

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:57 am

Episode 11 is up and looks like he did upload there, so check it out!!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:58 am

Watched most of ep 11. Lex's Goku really has improved. His agony screams are good. General screaming not bad. Speaking voice is okay, too.

I really like Piccolo and Gohan.

Beerus could be better.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:22 am

sangofe wrote:Watched most of ep 11. Lex's Goku really has improved. His agony screams are good. General screaming not bad. Speaking voice is okay, too.

I really like Piccolo and Gohan.

Beerus could be better.
Beerus voice is good but the direction he is receiving is not... If they make john demita voice beerus based of his character and not of his godly status he could turn out to be best beerus voice ever, I feel like this is just wasted opportunity!!! There is still time they could fix it before champa saga, because its really hard to take him seriously after that and this godly/posh accent definitely wont work well for beerus then!!!

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:54 am

Goku's screaming really improved this episode. His Power up yell was the only time I felt the performance didn't match the intensity of the picture. The way they mixed that scream probably didn't help either as it sounded very distant for some reason, almost as if he was standing away from the microphone. That effect felt more appropriate on the Kamehameha than it did on the power up, in my opinion.

The dialogue sounded pretty great all around, my only nitpick were a few of Goku's lines to Beerus in the atmosphere of Earth. Beerus' calm and indifferent tone sounded quite appropriate for the context but Goku's "No wait, I'm ready now!" and "How dare you threaten to destroy all those lives down there!" were far too reserved, he really should've been instructed to have more panic and anger in his voice, as well as to project his voice more whilst delivering the line. The distance between the two characters made the delivery of these lines sound even more inappropriate.

Beerus is doing a great job considering the script for him is often awkwardly written. It kinda works in the sense that he's a God and thus wouldn't talk in the same way that humans do, at least, that's the way I like to look at it. The only time his yelling felt off was before the Kamehameha hit, other than that he's doing great in my opinion.

Piccolo honestly sounds fantastic at this point, better than Sabat even. I just hope he can eventually work on his yells too.

Not much else to say other than that. Everyone else sounded good as usual, aside from the Elder Kai, still can't get used to that voice.

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Dragon Ball Super Episode 11

Goku- I'm sorry. What? WHAT? OKAY. WAIT. So, let me get this straight, in the course of one episode, his voice has gone up in pitch, gained some serious emotion, and his punches have some oomph to them? Lex, man! Holy shit, was this like a new session? I remember you saying 10 episodes had been recorded when episode 1 started. There are some minor complaints still that really bug me, like the Bruce Lee yells just really take the performance down a notch, but my god the improvement from episode 10 to 11 is immense! As I've said, I knew you had it in you, but I didn't think you'd get the chance to reach it, let alone this well! It's still quite clear you are reading a script, but hot damn this voice is great. I also really really loved that pain scream during the repeated back hit scene. My only advice would be to ditch the Kenshiro Screams, it really makes it hard to hear all the effort that goes into them, and it sounds like Goku is comedically yelling. And while I'm sure you know by now, I'll say it again. KAH-MAY-HAH-MAY-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Really pronounce that A, and yell that Haa like your being stabbed, man! I'm so, so looking forward to seeing more improvement.

Beerus- Not as good as I'd want, but still pretty good, and much better than Episode 10.

The Kais- It sucks, the Old Kai is clearly script reading.

Others- Same as before, a little better.
-Insert Something Creative-

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Lex's Goku has really gotten better in the yelling and screaming department. I'm still not a fan with Beerus, but it has become more tolerable. Bulma and Piccolo continue to be the standout performers.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:43 pm

I've never heard of someone improving their voice acting skills so much in a single week. I know the first 10 episodes were recorded in a batch, you don't have to tell me.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:13 pm

He's making an effort but it still sounds like his screams are being held back by something as well as sounding like they're being performed wrong, still not there yet
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

ProjectAlpha22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ProjectAlpha22 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:I've never heard of someone improving their voice acting skills so much in a single week. I know the first 10 episodes were recorded in a batch, you don't have to tell me.
I know, right? I sat down, honest to god pessimistic due to how bad episode 10 was, and then HOLY SHIT WHAT? Like, Lex, why were you holding out on us XD? This HAD to have been a seperate session, but what changed? Was there a new ADR, did you drink more coffee? Whatever it is, keep doing that please. The only thing are those yells, the pain yells are fantastic but the Bruce Lee noises make me feel like I started watching Kung Pow: Enter The Fist! Which isn't necessarily a BAD thing, but for Dragon Ball Super it doesn't work. I could totally see it in a scene where Goten is sparring with Goku or something though, with Goku doing that to be entertaining. I know we won't hear that change for a while, but perhaps give it a shot for an episode and see what you think personally!
-Insert Something Creative-

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:07 pm

I've gotta disagree on the Bruce Lee yells - they're one of the best things about Lang's Goku for me. I feel the yells give his take a layer of personality that sets him apart from other Gokus who use more standard yells. I can see why it doesn't work for everyone, but I really like it.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Definitely feels like the yells were a bit more full bodied this time. Maybe needs just that build up in the beginning of each one to have it on spot? I dunno.
Also, did anyone else notice the echo-filter was a bit closer to how it sounds in the Japanese version when he did the Kamehame-Ha (also, not fully understanding the complaints about his pronunciation in this episode; sounded right to me)?

Wish there'd been more to the episode, but that's an issue with the show itself, not the dub. Gonna be a rough next few episodes, as it gets to what I consider to be the worst part of Super so far... the friggin' universe punching bologna.
At least we need only wait a handful of episodes until we get to Super's best part: Goku and the tractor. Been really enjoying your stuff as the goofier side of Goku, so I'm expecting really great things from you on the tractor scene, Mr. Lang! I'm sure everyone knows the one I'm referring to.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Nia wrote:Also, did anyone else notice the echo-filter was a bit closer to how it sounds in the Japanese version when he did the Kamehame-Ha (also, not fully understanding the complaints about his pronunciation in this episode; sounded right to me)?
The pronunciation issue isn't present when performing the attack, but talking about it in conversation. He says it the way Funimation used to, pronouncing it like the Hawaiian king's name. Again, not an issue when he's actually performing the attack, and I'm pretty sure it's a directorial issue on top of that.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube