"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Toon Anime India just said on their Facebook page Dragon Ball Super is back airing on weekends with 2 episodes a day, they didn't specify which dub it is but said that any new episodes of the Bang Zoom dub will be recorded as they air so fingers crossed for their version of the Resurrection F arc.
They're going to record more episodes? That's cool.

Even though it would never happen, I would love it if Bang Zoom somehow got Jim Cummings to play Botamo.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Toon Anime India just said on their Facebook page Dragon Ball Super is back airing on weekends with 2 episodes a day, they didn't specify which dub it is but said that any new episodes of the Bang Zoom dub will be recorded as they air so fingers crossed for their version of the Resurrection F arc.
They're going to record more episodes? That's cool.

Even though it would never happen, I would love it if Bang Zoom somehow got Jim Cummings to play Botamo.
All we can do is hope this dub will continue airing past episode 13. I'm extremely grateful someone is taping as its great to have recordings of alternate dubs to look back on in the inevitable event they become long lost rarities.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Toon Anime India just said on their Facebook page Dragon Ball Super is back airing on weekends with 2 episodes a day, they didn't specify which dub it is but said that any new episodes of the Bang Zoom dub will be recorded as they air.
Yeah and it's bang zoom dub again, Don't know how long it's going to air this time. With 4 episodes a week they could air season 2 just after 3 weeks!!

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Huh, turns out a friend of a friend from some low budget work a few years back is working on this. I think last time I posted about this there was some concern about turnaround times on the episodes. I have no idea if the lack of showings has any effect on the production schedule (and I doubt it, but I worked on a show that had some serious production issues as a result of the schedule where they did pickup recordings for DVD releases, so you never know) but I can confirm they've at least cast for episodes beyond 3 standard 13 episode "seasons".

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 pm

ButtfaceKalinski wrote:Huh, turns out a friend of a friend from some low budget work a few years back is working on this. I think last time I posted about this there was some concern about turnaround times on the episodes. I have no idea if the lack of showings has any effect on the production schedule (and I doubt it, but I worked on a show that had some serious production issues as a result of the schedule where they did pickup recordings for DVD releases, so you never know) but I can confirm they've at least cast for episodes beyond 3 standard 13 episode "seasons".

So they've cast for the U6 tournament? Interesting.

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 pm

sangofe wrote:
ButtfaceKalinski wrote:Huh, turns out a friend of a friend from some low budget work a few years back is working on this. I think last time I posted about this there was some concern about turnaround times on the episodes. I have no idea if the lack of showings has any effect on the production schedule (and I doubt it, but I worked on a show that had some serious production issues as a result of the schedule where they did pickup recordings for DVD releases, so you never know) but I can confirm they've at least cast for episodes beyond 3 standard 13 episode "seasons".

I've looked up a list of episodes to see what you mean and yes, even further than that

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm

ButtfaceKalinski wrote:
sangofe wrote:

I've looked up a list of episodes to see what you mean and yes, even further than that
It's not too unexpected as they did license the first 52 episodes, well rather Toonami Asia did but I guess that extends to BZ.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ButtfaceKalinski wrote:
sangofe wrote:

It's not too unexpected as they did license the first 52 episodes, well rather Toonami Asia did but I guess that extends to BZ.
Hopefully we will get to see at least the first 52 episodes. I'm interested to see how Bang Zoom handle Resurrection F, Universe 6 and early Goku Black stuff.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ButtfaceKalinski

Post by ButtfaceKalinski » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ButtfaceKalinski wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Well, that makes sense. I was just catching up with somebody and they told me in passing that somebody was cast as a certain character, past tense so they might even be finished.

It's not on their public resume yet so I won't say anything that could violate an NDA on their behalf, but this production has got some good new talent from the generation that saw the effect the internet had on voiceover work and didn't run screaming in the opposite direction, so props to them.

EmmJr

Post by EmmJr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Uhg! Finally! For a moment I thought that my account wasn't going to get approved!

Well, hi everyone. I'm (obviously) new on Kanzenshuu, but not new on forums. I'm a little rusty on all this 'cause the last forum I was member of, was closed like three years ago.

Anyways, I'm from Latin America (Dominican Republic to be specific), and for those who don't know, Dragon Ball is extremely popular in my country. Also, I'm a dubbing enthusiast, really love what's behind all this industry and also it's art. I'm more focused, and a little more educated about dubbing (actors, directors, studios, etc.) here in Latin America, but I also have some bits of knowledge from dubbing all over the world, including of course, the U.S. (and Canada), especially the very "special" history that revolves around the various dubs of the Dragon Ball franchise in the english speaking world.

Months ago when I got the news that there was going to be a Los Angeles based alternative dub for Super (aka the Bang Zoom dub), I got really happy for you guys that enjoy the series in english, 'cause I know the amazing voice actors that work in L.A. This is because, some may agree with me in this point and some others not, Funimation hasn't made true justice to the Dragon Ball franchise, by this I mean acting-wise (for a lot of characters, not all of them), etc etc, you all know what I'm talking about. But the thing is Funimation's been on this franchise so many years that mostly everyone in the english speaking world got used to them, and so, became satisfied with their work. But I'll stop on that there, 'cause this isn't a "Funimation bashing" thread.

The thing is that since I got news about Bang Zoom's dub, I've been looking on the internet to see how things where going, found some comparisons on YouTube, etc. Recently I was searching again and got a little worried 'cause there wasn't any news about it, so in my last search is where I landed on this thread and got to know Kanzenshuu. And I really got hooked on everything you where discussing here, 'cause I ended up reading the full 59 pages on this thread.

But well, I'm happy to be on a forum again, and also very happy for this Bang Zoom dub. I hope that even at this slow pace, it keeps on going. There are some very good stuff here, on Lex, he's doing a good job, I think it's a little difficult to accept for some because you have years used to Sean's Goku. Also, one of the best things for me was finally hearing a real Krilin in english, amazing Brian Beacock. And sorry to some of you guys, but I never ever could stand Sonny Strait's Krilin, he's everything but Krilin, that clown voice plus the dialogue Funimation writes for the character seem to off-character for me, on the other side, Beacock really feels like Krilin's character is supposed to. Oh, I forgot to say that even if I watch/ed Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super in my language, I've been an expectator of Funi's dub via the videogames, as you may know these get distributed with the Funi dub all over the world, and the old games could only be played with the english voice track, unlike the new ones where we can switch to japanese.

We'll guys, again it's a pleasure to be here.
Last edited by EmmJr on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmmJr

Post by EmmJr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I was hoping the English dub scene wouldnt be as petty as the latin american one... how shameful.
What do you mean pal?
Draconic wrote:...Compare it to Sabat, who not only has two main roles in Dragon Ball, but dozen others recognizable names in a bunch of anime.
Two? Haha! But for every ten characters in DB, seven are voiced by him.
Nia wrote:I've been lurking on this thread for a while (since I think the first clip was shown), so I may as well say my thoughts on this, especially seeing as how this thread is why I signed up for these forums.

Honestly, I'm greatly enjoying this dub for the most part. There's a few issues I dislike (mostly leftovers from the FUNI dub, such as the mispronunciation of "Saiyan" (I don't mind them using that spelling over Saiyajin, but it would be nice if they'd say 'sigh-yahn' instead of 'say-yan' and what-not), but I can safely say I enjoy it more than the FUNImation dub.

My thoughts on the voice acting:

Goku - Lang's got the easy-going part down. He sounds so laid back, and completely unaware of the ramifications of his actions, that I totally hear Son Goku in it. I've got a legitimate laugh out of him saying "My bad!" when he does something stupid, and gets called out on it.
On the other hand, I'm not quite sold on the yells yet. His grunts/kiai/etc. are fine, but the yells sound a bit off. It sounds a bit like a warm-up exercise, as opposed to a legitimate roar.
Despite the yells, I think he's got the character's thought process (or lack thereof) down pat. It's the first time I've heard Goku in English since Peter Kelamis played the part where I can recognize him as the character (discounting MasakoX, but... that's kinda cheating).

Vegeta - I believe my thoughts on Kaiji Tang being cast as Vegeta were along the lines of ol' 'Geta's thoughts in the TFS parody of the first Broly movie: "Never in my life have I needed something so much and never known until I recieved it." While he started out like a Sabat-clone with (in my opinion) much better acting, he's gotten a lot less gruff, and in the video he sent to LittleKuriboh for his birthday, he sounded a lot like something in between Brian Drummond and Ryo Horikawa... which was pretty great.
Plus, now I can make a joke about Vegeta being an Archer class Servant joke.

Piccolo - Pretty much a dead-on Piccolo performance and voice. He sounds calm and wise, and I don't get the claims of him sounding like Sabat at all, either. He's precisely what I would want out of an English speaking Piccolo (even if I always liked McNeil's voice for the role).

Gohan: A good choice. He hasn't done anything mindblowing performance wise, but it's suitable, and sounds similar to Lang's Goku. Not unlike Kyle Herbert's voice in the role, but I don't think that's a bad thing either.

Goten: Nothing spectacular, but it works. Has a good 'bonehead' vibe in contrast to Trunks' more haughty performance. No complaints, other than in a couple of the earlier episodes, it seemed like they occasionally veered in and out of character.

Trunks: Good lawd, every time they have a line, they steal the show. Absolutely superb. This voice and performance completely sell the idea they're Vegeta's son, no question. Easily one of the standout performances.

Videl: Just like Trunks, a complete and total show stealer. They sound so entirely natural, and the voice works so well. I'm really looking forward to hearing them in the mini-arc focusing on Saiyaman.

Bulma: As expected from Wendee Lee (that's who voices her, right? I'd feel dumb if I get one of the names I think I know wrong), this is a great performance. No complaints here.

Chichi: This is probably the only English speaking Chichi that I've ever liked (the Ocean voice I was indifferent toward, and Cynthia Cranz kinda irked me in the role, never really seeming all that motherly). I was actually a bit unsure about Michelle Ruff being cast, as I was a bit worried she'd use her Jill Valentine voice, but I needn't have worried.

Roshi: I've actually never had a problem with any of the English voices for ol' Muten Roshi, and this one is just fine amongst them. Seems to be especially good at the goofy old man stuff (though I'm sad his perverted nature got toned down).

Kuririn: He sounds like an actual person! By far my favorite English performance in the role. They didn't make him sound goofy, and he doesn't have any weird gruffness to his voice. Very satisfied.

Yamcha: I was surprised when he popped up sounding like Shinjiro Aragaki! I thought I'd dislike this performance, but... it's entirely fine. Looking forward to him in the baseball episode.

Tenshinhan: He hasn't said a lot (unless I missed it), but it seems okay. Although, in all fairness, what I have heard isn't as good as Burgmeier, whom I will gladly give props to.

Mr. Satan: Suitable, but hasn't blown me away yet. Still, it's a good enough job.

Buu: I think he's a bit more 'childish' in his performance than the FUNI performance, though if you put the voices one after another, I don't think I'd be able to really tell the difference. I don't dislike it, but it's not particularly good either. He's 'passable.'

Kaio: I can listen to Kaio-sama in English without rupturing my eardrums again! WONDERFUL! Also, his back and forth with Lang's Goku has been cracking me up the whole way.

Kaioshin: This one is okay. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Just okay.

Elder Kaioshin: His performance is fine, but that voice is nails on a chalkboard. Probably the only voice that actually outright annoys me.

Beerus: I uh... I don't get the hate on this one. His acting was a bit stiff at first, but around the time he started screaming at Gotenks, I feel like he got in the zone. He could stand to have a few more cat-like mannerisms, but only the Japanese VA does that to the best of my knowledge.

Whis: This VA sounds like he's having the time of his life in the role, and it's infectious. Clearly he likes his job, and his performance and voice have both been excellent.

As for the script... it can be a little off, but nothing has really bothered me about it in terms of it being 'too literal.' The only things that bother me are the dubisms as I mentioned before, and the censorship, which does bum me out.
The audio mixing in some episodes does seem to get a bit wonky, which is a shame. Also, the 'echo filter' put over the voices when charging doesn't particularly bother me, as a similar effect is used in the Japanese version, although I wish the dubs would take a cue from the Japanese version and use the Oozaru roar when a Saiyajin does their transformation.
Either way, this is the first time I've truly enjoyed an English dub of the series in general since the Ocean dubs of the first three movies, and I hope it goes the distance.

Sorry for the long post!
I highly agree with you. And what you said about Krilin is 100% what I think, that really IS him, not a cheap clown.
Nia wrote:... when he did the Kamehame-Ha (also, not fully understanding the complaints about his pronunciation in this episode; sounded right to me)?...[/size]
Me neither, I think that's another of Funimation mistakes, and they made the fans think that the correct pronunciation is "Ka-may", but it is really "Ka-meh" because it comes from 'Kame' (turtle), that as you may all know is the style of the one who created the technique.
Danfun64 wrote:Somehow I don't think they could get away with LittleKuriboh as Freeza. Maybe as Frost, but that would only be if DBZA doesn't cast him as Frost first, and in that case LittleKuriboh would lose the right to play Frost outside of the Bang Zoom dub and privately (like in conventions). Remember the Cell Games Reenactment incident with Funi Boo Kai?
Fun fact: Even of the controversy that it created on Toei, and that in the last minute they had to replace the Cell Games "TFS" Reenactment dialogue, this parody dialogue was officially written in Funimation scripts and it stayed that way. When Toei made "The Final Chapters" as a specially international product for distribution outside Japan, they sent over the Funimation script to all countries to translate based on it, because of that, this parody dialogue that was removed in the Funimation dub is still present in all the other dubs of "The Final Chapters". So Toei effed it up, because they removed the Team Four Star dialogue from one dub but accidentally kept it on all the other dubs.
SaintEvolution wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:At Louisiana Comic Con this year, Sean stated that he records for Super in Los Angeles and Chris flies down there to direct him rather than having Sean fly up to Dallas to record. I find that pretty interesting because that means that Super is being recorded in the same city at two different studios for two different dubs for two different companies (Sean for FUNi's dub at North Hollywood Sound and Bang Zoom's dub for Toonami Asia at Bang Zoom)

Crazy
Well, that already happened with the brazilian portuguese and european portuguese dubs of Pokemon, with Fábio Lucindo (brazilian voice of Ash) recording his lines in Lisboa from Portugal since he lives there now, while the european portuguese dub was being recorded in Lisboa too, in another studio.

Also, it can be some kind of coincidence, but there is a chance of that happening again with Dragon Ball Super's portuguese dubs, since Fábio can record his lines for Krillin(yeah, brazilian Ash Ketchum is brazilian Krillin too) directly from Lisboa again, while the european portuguese dub has already started to be produced...
In the Latin American Spanish dub we have a somewhat similar situation: Genaro Vásquez (voice of Supreme Kaio and Android 17) lives in Canada, and he has to travel to Mexico to record his dialogue.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:12 pm

I don't think it was the dialogue that Toei didn't like, but a combination of the TFS actors and Goku saying (paraphrased) "This show is the best I've ever seen!" Although TBF, keeping the dialogue for the Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs was kind of dumb because their audience probably won't recognize the memes from the English fandom.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

EmmJr

Post by EmmJr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 am

Danfun64 wrote:I don't think it was the dialogue that Toei didn't like, but a combination of the TFS actors and Goku saying (paraphrased) "This show is the best I've ever seen!" Although TBF, keeping the dialogue for the Latino Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs was kind of dumb because their audience probably won't recognize the memes from the English fandom.
Well, as I said, it was Toei's call to send Funi's script overseas without checking it over. I don't think they intended that the Latin Americans fans to "enjoy" TFS's dialogue, as usual, their only goal was to lower costs. Aside from that, using Funi's script resulted in some consequences on the finished dub, consistency-wise. As for the jokes itself, yeah as you said, not everyone recognised it, but still there was a bunch of people that got 'em. Yeah, TFS is THAT popular.
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:...On topic: some of the major voices were good. HG Goku & Bulma are wonderful, Roshi's legit aged, instead of fake "old man" voice...
True pal, it's truly delightful to hear Roshi as a real old man, in our dub we've always had that and it's the best.

Also guys, I know what I'm going to ask isn't correct but is the only option we have on this side on the globe, where do I get the episodes that have been aired so far with the Bang Zoom dub?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 am

EmmJr wrote: Also guys, I know what I'm going to ask isn't correct but is the only option we have on this side on the globe, where do I get the episodes that have been aired so far with the Bang Zoom dub?
Can't really talk about that here but I'll send you a PM.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:46 am

supercat wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
supercat wrote:
Actually their best feat thus far was giving Piccolo and Base Gohan a slight challenge. that's no where near the likes of real powerhouses like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, or Frieza.

It wouldn't be boring nor unoriginal. There really haven't been powerful Namekians, so this would almost be a first. I guess Piccolo was powerful speaking relatively, but that was almost always brief.
Your missing my point, beside a different character and different coloured flashy lights, how would the content of the fight be any different to any other fight where an opponent won because they were simply stronger?

The answer is, it wouldn't be any different. Also, having fighters whose only key attribute is their strength, makes them completely expendable as characters as they have nothing else of value to offer once the hurdle in power has been surpassed and other stronger fighters come a long. This is why I and a lot of other people liked Hit, he was a fighter whose key attribute didn't make him expendable in the long-term of things, even though his battle strength had already been surpassed.
It's not always about how the battle looks or what techniques are used. Sure, that's one component of originality, but so is the actual context within the battle. Having strong Namekians in the series was always a rarity, and it would be great for that to change. A Namekian fighter who constantly trains and keeps up with the Saiyans would be refreshing in and of itself, considering the fact that Piccolo had been surpassed back in the Buu saga.

Although Piccolo probably did manage to climb back up on the power scale and finally surpass the top contenders of the Buu saga, it still doesn't take away from the fact that the Saiyan fighters are still leagues ahead.

A new Namekian fighter keeping up with top contenders like Goku, Vegeta, Android 17, and Frieza, would by far be more intriguing than a pair of weaklings somehow getting lucky with their strategy.
First off, your first paragraph is completely laughable, is everyone forgetting that Piccolo was Goku's rival for several arcs? And before you say "but they weren't strong in comparison to how they are now", the feat are still the same, nothing about the fighting has really changed, all that happened was Goku got a bigger number and thats it.

Also, strong fighters are boring, if all they had was that "they're really strong", then they already irrelevant as there are just obstacles to overcome with a bigger number. If they had a strategy that characters couldn't overcome with strength, then that would make them instantly more memorable opponents than say the 100 fighters who were just "really strong".

Also sorry for the late reply.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Because it was requested of me on Twitter, Tamara Ryan, a relatively new voice talent, who voices Android #18 in the Bang Zoom dub, also does the voice of Vados.

She even makes the comment on her own Twitter that she hopes to actually see it "one day." Meaning I guess that Bang Zoom isn't giving clips to the talent, similar to how Ocean and Blue Water would hold onto the tapes with an iron fist.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:34 am

Arian wrote:Because it was requested of me on Twitter, Tamara Ryan, a relatively new voice talent, who voices Android #18 in the Bang Zoom dub, also does the voice of Vados.

She even makes the comment on her own Twitter that she hopes to actually see it "one day." Meaning I guess that Bang Zoom isn't giving clips to the talent, similar to how Ocean and Blue Water would hold onto the tapes with an iron fist.
Someone requested I do the same thing. I just ignored it because I really don't care. if that person wants to share the info, they really should just make an account on here & post it themselves. I really don't get the logic of not doing so by now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:39 pm

TAI uploaded episodes 14 and 15 in the MEGA folder
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:TAI uploaded episodes 14 and 15 in the MEGA folder
I wouldn't be so specific on this forum. Simply saying that TAI uploaded episodes 14 and 15 would be sufficient.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Finally season 2 started airing after loooong wait lol, anyway from which episode frieza starts making his appearance in dbs? Excited to see champa and vados in episode 18 too which would air next week,