"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SuperKirillin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:
SuperKirillin wrote:
How did you find out about this? From where did you know about this?

On Sunday (17.03.06) Toonami India aired Episode 5.
Ohh they aired episode 5? I looked through toonami asia schedule on their website and they listed episode 1 on sunday so i thought it would be same for india broadcast too!! From next week no new episodes i guess
Toonami India has aired 5?
Which language dub is?
I am not following the dubs so got no idea
English. They haven't made any plans on a Hindi or any Indian language dub

Also can you suggest me a way to watch Cartoon Network USA for free live online?

Also are there any satalite television providers in USA?

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
hulkedoutdude wrote:
Ohh they aired episode 5? I looked through toonami asia schedule on their website and they listed episode 1 on sunday so i thought it would be same for india broadcast too!! From next week no new episodes i guess
Toonami India has aired 5?
Which language dub is?

Also can you suggest me a way to watch Cartoon Network USA for free live online?

I don't know about cartoon network live stream but there is definitely toonami live stream and they stream it live every weekend, I usually watch hunter x hunter and dragon ball super there... If you want i can send you link!!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 am

hulkedoutdude wrote:
SuperKirillin wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Toonami India has aired 5?
Which language dub is?

I don't know about cartoon network live stream but there is definitely toonami live stream and they stream it live every weekend, I usually watch hunter x hunter and dragon ball super there... If you want i can send you link!!
Well, seems like hulkedoutdude got you covered :thumbup:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 am

Has this gone on hiatus after episode 13?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 am

sangofe wrote:Has this gone on hiatus after episode 13?
Bang Zoom only dubbed up until EP13.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 am

They're showing re-runs now. Kind of dumb that they did two episodes a week when BZ obviously didn't have that many episodes in the bank.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
They're showing re-runs now. Kind of dumb that they did two episodes a week when BZ obviously didn't have that many episodes in the bank.
They probably did it to get ahead of Funimation, although unless they get more episodes out within the next 3 weeks that won't matter.

I'm starting to wonder if Bang Zoom has pulled the plug now and won't be dubbing any more episodes because the process was taking too long and Toonami Asia opted to buy the rights to the Funimation dub for future episodes instead. The fact this dub was originally planned for release last July does make such a concern plausible, although I hope not because I am curious to see how the cast handles episodes 13 (which I haven't seen), 14 and the Resurrection F arc.

We also don't know for a fact it will be airing anywhere outside of Asia yet.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:25 am

The episode titles on the Toonami Asia website are the FUNi episode titles so I think that the Bang Zoom dub is done
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 am

I would hope not, mainly for the sake of the actors. And wasn't Kaiji Tang talking on twitter about dubbing some scenes with him and Whis? When is Episode 14 set to air so we can get a definitive answer?

EDIT: FOUND IT!
https://twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/834587220266749952
So they're dubbing it. I just hope this doesn't end up a Ocean Kai or a California Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL situation....
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I would hope not, mainly for the sake of the actors. And wasn't Kaiji Tang talking on twitter about dubbing some scenes with him and Whis? When is Episode 14 set to air so we can get a definitive answer?

So they're dubbing it. I just hope this doesn't end up a Ocean Kai or a California Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL situation....
Funny enough my theory has been that this dub is a more successful Ocean Kai scenario where TOEI gets in the way of future broadcasts in favour of the Funimation dub, only this time the dub was lucky to have at least the first 13 episodes aired rather than nothing at all.

Never heard of an alternate Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal dub, but I'd be curious to learn more about it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:47 am

It might end up being more of a Westwood Kai scenario, where the Funimation dub is used until Bang Zoom has not only caught up with but surpassed Funi in episode count, with some Bang Zoom episodes first being shown in reruns.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
They probably did it to get ahead of Funimation, although unless they get more episodes out within the next 3 weeks that won't matter.

I'm starting to wonder if Bang Zoom has pulled the plug now and won't be dubbing any more episodes because the process was taking too long and Toonami Asia opted to buy the rights to the Funimation dub for future episodes instead. The fact this dub was originally planned for release last July does make such a concern plausible, although I hope not because I am curious to see how the cast handles episodes 13 (which I haven't seen), 14 and the Resurrection F arc.

We also don't know for a fact it will be airing anywhere outside of Asia yet.
I don't see why they would care about FUNi since it's another territory and as you said FUNi will over take them again soon so if that is the reason then it's even dumber of Toonami Asia. Re-runs kills momentum they should have just done it weekly.

I do agree once the initial licensed batch of episodes, which seems to be 52 they (presumably Toei) might just make them switch over to FUNi it will be the most cost effective thing to do. Though Lex's comments about he hopes fans get the actor they want after he was criticized leads me to believe thay they might have licensed for less than 52 episodes. Considering Toei is breaking DBS in seasons could be possible that BZ have been hired to just to S1 (up to ep 26) for the time being.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I would hope not, mainly for the sake of the actors. And wasn't Kaiji Tang talking on twitter about dubbing some scenes with him and Whis? When is Episode 14 set to air so we can get a definitive answer?

Funny enough my theory has been that this dub is a more successful Ocean Kai scenario where TOEI gets in the way of future broadcasts in favour of the Funimation dub, only this time the dub was lucky to have at least the first 13 episodes aired rather than nothing at all.

Never heard of an alternate Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal dub, but I'd be curious to learn more about it.
There's a comment on BTVA (Behind The Voice Actors) written by PurpleWarrior13 about this :

"Kristi Reed, the ADR director for Bang Zoom, mentioned that ADK had contracted them to do an English dub of YGO Zexal during the lawsuit with 4Kids. They completed 26 episodes (with two more in production) before the project was shut down when 4Kids got the license to the show.

The Bang Zoom dub was still edited, and still had replaced music, but featured a more accurate script, and the folks at Bang Zoom got the original animation files and were able to reanimate lip flaps if needed. It featured Johnny Yong Bosch as Yuma, Vic Mignogna as Shark, Cassandra Lee Morris as Tori, Liam O'Brien as Astral, Sam Riegel as Kite, and Richard Cansino as Bronk.

Kristi talks about the project quite extensively here, and a clip of this dub is shown at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... xPs0pM-Pq4"

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:16 pm

I don't see why Toonami Asia would suddenly be in any rush to switch over to Funimation's dub. If history is anything to go by, Funimation DB dubs aren't licensed cheaply to television networks and the same is probably true of their Super dub. In all likelihood, the Bang Zoom dub is the more affordable option and I'd bet that was the main motivating factor in it's creation.

Running out of new episodes and having to play reruns for a little while isn't exactly a reason to switch over to Funimation either, this is a very common thing for long-running shows and actually helps attract new viewers who missed out on the initial first airing.
Tian wrote: Kristi talks about the project quite extensively here, and a clip of this dub is shown at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... xPs0pM-Pq4"
Fascinating stuff! The Ocean Kai dilemma comes to mind as a similar situation. Although with Kai, that was obviously a much bigger "clusterfuck" with 90+ episodes to her 26/28. I would've liked to have seen their Zexal dub, if anything, just to compare the animation changes.

hulkedoutdude
Beyond Newbie

Post by hulkedoutdude » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Looks like kaiji tang is reading comments from this thread everyday!!
https://twitter.com/KaijiTang/status/844661692336226304

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 pm

On his interview with The Codec (that's a Metal Gear reference), Richard Epcar mentioned he was in "the new Dragon Ball". He's done some stuff for FUNi before, in Fujiko Mine (as Zenigata because Sabat had been doing Jigen), but I'm leaning towards the assumption he's in Toonami Asia's dub. He's in tons of BZ stuff.

My first hunch is he's playing Hit...although Kaiji Tang mentioned they're doing Vegeta vs Freeza currently, so that's likely not remotely it. Although, that said, they may reuse him later down the line - most of the male characters introduced in ROF arent around very long, & this dub reuses often enough. Ray Chase did 3 main characters, lol.

My thought was Epcar has a deep & aged low baritone voice, similar to how he's portrayed in the Japanese VO. He is 1000 years old, so that'd fit very well I think. Gowasu is also a possibility although I feel that doesnt suit him too well (Steve Kramer or Kirk Thornton'd be good there).

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Judging by where they're at, he's probably Sorbet or Shisami. Though, him being Hit wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 am

OR MAYBE HE COULD PLAY TOPPO! EVERYONE LOVES TOPPO!!

...I'll show myself the way out.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LexVO

Post by LexVO » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Guys! Just wanted to give an update. We are moving along recording the episodes and I am getting better at Goku everyday! Really starting to get to know the character. Remember, we were told to make it our own, and not copy anything anyone has done before, so that is very challenging, but also allows us to bring new life and expressions to the character.

Anyway, it's been lots of fun getting to know the show and the characters, and I am looking forward to making this dub one of the best out there. This cast is a star studded cast of pros. So proud to be among them. Every episode we all get better and better, as the story develops. Thanks for the support along the way. Who would have known? At the beginning it was pretty bleak, now it's getting pretty awesome! We've been getting great reviews the last few episodes because the voices and yells are finally falling into place. (it took a while) But now we have a show that I would be proud to see anywhere in the world. Congrats to the whole cast for coming so far!

all the best!
Lex

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm

LexVO wrote:Hi Guys! Just wanted to give an update. We are moving along recording the episodes and I am getting better at Goku everyday! Really starting to get to know the character. Remember, we were told to make it our own, and not copy anything anyone has done before, so that is very challenging, but also allows us to bring new life and expressions to the character.

Anyway, it's been lots of fun getting to know the show and the characters, and I am looking forward to making this dub one of the best out there. This cast is a star studded cast of pros. So proud to be among them. Every episode we all get better and better, as the story develops. Thanks for the support along the way. Who would have known? At the beginning it was pretty bleak, now it's getting pretty awesome! We've been getting great reviews the last few episodes because the voices and yells are finally falling into place. (it took a while) But now we have a show that I would be proud to see anywhere in the world. Congrats to the whole cast for coming so far!

all the best!
Lex
One question, Lex. Will Bang Zoom surprise us with their take on Frieza?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.