"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by NitroEX » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 am

One of my favourite LA voice actors! I listened to him a lot growing up.

I suspect his take on Freeza will sound more bratty than Ayres, then again, he might surprise me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 am

Derek Stephen Prince is a great choice. I'm excited to see how he'll compare to Ayres (Pity we still haven't seen Tockar's take in Ocean Kai).
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 31, 2017 9:17 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Derek Stephen Prince is a great choice. I'm excited to see how he'll compare to Ayres (Pity we still haven't seen Tockar's take in Ocean Kai).
I agree, although I knew it wasn't going to happen as with all the Ocean cast (especially Richard Ian Cox as I can't even begin to describe my curiosity about his Goku) part of me was hoping Toonami Asia would go the extra mile to have Tockar in this dub, but alas I'm still interested to hear Derek Stephen Prince's take and how he compares to Ayres. That is assuming the remainder of this dub doesn't suffer the same fate as Ocean Kai....
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Derek Stephen Prince is a great choice. I'm excited to see how he'll compare to Ayres (Pity we still haven't seen Tockar's take in Ocean Kai).
I agree, although I knew it wasn't going to happen as with all the Ocean cast (especially Richard Ian Cox as I can't even begin to describe my curiosity about his Goku) part of me was hoping Toonami Asia would go the extra mile to have Tockar in this dub, but alas I'm still interested to hear Derek Stephen Prince's take and how he compares to Ayres. That is assuming the remainder of this dub doesn't suffer the same fate as Ocean Kai....
Tockar might be a little expensive for this dub since he's an union actor and this dub is non-union.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Wed May 31, 2017 3:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Tockar might be a little expensive for this dub since he's an union actor and this dub is non-union.
That's a pretty big difference in market. Dubs in Canada are a bigger deal because they tend to import more & thus pay better (about 2.5x); the unions are different between US & Canada & (as 8000 Saiyan pointed out) this dub isn't even unionized. Most VAs as successful as Lee Tockar would not do a dub in the US; we've had David Kaye, Trevor Devall, David Sobolov, Eric Bauza, Tara Strong, & a few others come from Canada & they've almost never done dubs since then. Unless Tockar massively failed for awhile (as Erin Fitzgerald mentions she did), he wouldn't really do a big part in this sort of dub. There's also Saffron Henderson who was in LA for a year (she was on Naruto which was union & had decent budget), but found it wasn't enough & made more money in Canada.

Another thing is this dub is kind of makeshift & is boycotted by friends of FUNimation (btw it's kind of a crap attitude for FUNi to have, to dislike actors in this dub) who are the main distributors; it's only a pleasant surprise we're getting some great castings on here (because this dub is, as typical of LA dubs, more accurate to the JP VO). There's no reason for Toonami Asia to put that much into this dub.

Anyway I do hope this dub goes through & finishes properly; at very least I do hope we get to see everything of the dub that gets completed.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
That's a pretty big difference in market. Dubs in Canada are a bigger deal because they tend to import more & thus pay better (about 2.5x); the unions are different between US & Canada & (as 8000 Saiyan pointed out) this dub isn't even unionized. Most VAs as successful as Lee Tockar would not do a dub in the US; we've had David Kaye, Trevor Devall, David Sobolov, Eric Bauza, Tara Strong, & a few others come from Canada & they've almost never done dubs since then. Unless Tockar massively failed for awhile (as Erin Fitzgerald mentions she did), he wouldn't really do a big part in this sort of dub. There's also Saffron Henderson who was in LA for a year (she was on Naruto which was union & had decent budget), but found it wasn't enough & made more money in Canada.

Another thing is this dub is kind of makeshift & is boycotted by friends of FUNimation (btw it's kind of a crap attitude for FUNi to have, to dislike actors in this dub) who are the main distributors; it's only a pleasant surprise we're getting some great castings on here (because this dub is, as typical of LA dubs, more accurate to the JP VO). There's no reason for Toonami Asia to put that much into this dub.

Anyway I do hope this dub goes through & finishes properly; at very least I do hope we get to see everything of the dub that gets completed.
Has Bauza ever done an anime dub before? Because I don't think he has.

And as for Henderson, she actually lived more than one year in LA, I believe.

Now, when it comes to Derek, I hope he does his own take (a variation of his Vexus voice would work) and isn't Ayres 2.0.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 am

It seems Derek Stephen Prince was influenced to sound as close to Ayre's portrayal as possible but thankfully he pushed back against it after recording his first episode. This is very encouraging but at the same time, it further confirms my fears that the people in charge of this dub are making critical errors when it comes to directing their actors. Needless to say, I'm still excited to hear his portrayal. His attitude towards this role has made me an even bigger fan than I was before.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 pm

NitroEX wrote:Image
It seems Derek Stephen Prince was influenced to sound as close to Ayre's portrayal as possible but thankfully he pushed back against it after recording his first episode. This is very encouraging but at the same time, it further confirms my fears that the people in charge of this dub are making critical errors when it comes to directing their actors. Needless to say, I'm still excited to hear his portrayal. His attitude towards this role has made me an even bigger fan than I was before.
Thank god he's doing his own take instead of copying Ayres.

Bang Zoom loves Funimation so much, that's why they tell their actors to copy FUNi's takes.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:10 pm

That quote was a response to me actually. I said to him how excited I am to hear him as Freeza as he is one my favorite VAs ever.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

NitroEX wrote:Image

And people said that Bang Zoom wasn't trying to copy FUNi's potrayals and this confirms that they in fact do try to. I'm curious to hear his take on Frieza but I'll prefer Ayres forever personally
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Has Bauza ever done an anime dub before? Because I don't think he has.
Bauza isn't exactly a regular, but as a favor to Jamie Simone (who began to use him heavily in his original cartoons) likely, he did Ezekiel Stane in Rise of Technovore, & Amadeus Cho in Avengers Confidential. & Baron Zemo in the latter too (no JP VO actually). Plus he did an Ace Combat dub by Kris Zimmerman. Must've spoke wrong about Henderson then, I suppose...
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:And people said that Bang Zoom wasn't trying to copy FUNi's potrayals and this confirms that they in fact do try to. I'm curious to hear his take on Frieza but I'll prefer Ayres forever personally
Kaiji Tang mentioned they were using them as a starting point to be familiar to Asian audience, but you can tell they're casting more on the Japanese voices & performances, & that's probably due to Wendee Lee, a fan of the medium & a long-time associate of Bandai's English branches, being in charge. Ray Chase, Grant George, & Kaiji Tang don't normally sound like FUNi's versions of their characters - they're doing impressions of FUNi, but the actual castings are much more clearly inspired by the Japanese ones. I hope it improves as we see more of it than the 13 we've seen. Whis especially sounds closer (although Ian is great anyway), Kaio is really obvious, etc. I'm not saying there's no influence - it's been discussed why there is some of that (including personal actors' fandom) - but there's an opportunity here (that's being taken advantage of a bit) to be accurate in a way that FUNi isn't really required to be.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:19 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Has Bauza ever done an anime dub before? Because I don't think he has.
Bauza isn't exactly a regular, but as a favor to Jamie Simone (who began to use him heavily in his original cartoons) likely, he did Ezekiel Stane in Rise of Technovore, & Amadeus Cho in Avengers Confidential. & Baron Zemo in the latter too (no JP VO actually). Plus he did an Ace Combat dub by Kris Zimmerman. Must've spoke wrong about Henderson then, I suppose...
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:And people said that Bang Zoom wasn't trying to copy FUNi's potrayals and this confirms that they in fact do try to. I'm curious to hear his take on Frieza but I'll prefer Ayres forever personally
Kaiji Tang mentioned they were using them as a starting point to be familiar to Asian audience, but you can tell they're casting more on the Japanese voices & performances, & that's probably due to Wendee Lee, a fan of the medium & a long-time associate of Bandai's English branches, being in charge. Ray Chase, Grant George, & Kaiji Tang don't normally sound like FUNi's versions of their characters - they're doing impressions of FUNi, but the actual castings are much more clearly inspired by the Japanese ones. I hope it improves as we see more of it than the 13 we've seen. Whis especially sounds closer (although Ian is great anyway), Kaio is really obvious, etc. I'm not saying there's no influence - it's been discussed why there is some of that (including personal actors' fandom) - but there's an opportunity here (that's being taken advantage of a bit) to be accurate in a way that FUNi isn't really required to be.
I don't really see how they're closer to the Japanese ones outside of King Kai and that could just be because they couldn't find anyone that could do an impression of Schemmel's voice for him. I just wish that they'd give their own take on the characters
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:14 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I don't really see how they're closer to the Japanese ones outside of King Kai and that could just be because they couldn't find anyone that could do an impression of Schemmel's voice for him. I just wish that they'd give their own take on the characters
Sabat has a pretty deep brutish voice, & I feel as if if they wanted to do a perfect impression of that they'd use Chris Terglaferia, Paul st. Peter, Jamieson Price, or Richard Epcar.

Grant George, Ray Chase, & Kaiji Tang sound a lot more like the Japanese actors that voice these characters. Toru Furuya has kind of a "pretty boy" voice, Furukawa's Piccolo is husky but not very deep, Vegeta is high but kind of gruff. This is pretty close to what I'm used to with George, Chase, & Tang respectively.

& I'm pretty sure that's due to Wendee Lee's casting sensibilities. Problem is obviously they're being directed to do impressions, so it kind of takes away from that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:33 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:I don't really see how they're closer to the Japanese ones outside of King Kai and that could just be because they couldn't find anyone that could do an impression of Schemmel's voice for him. I just wish that they'd give their own take on the characters
Sabat has a pretty deep brutish voice, & I feel as if if they wanted to do a perfect impression of that they'd use Chris Terglaferia, Paul st. Peter, Jamieson Price, or Richard Epcar.

Grant George, Ray Chase, & Kaiji Tang sound a lot more like the Japanese actors that voice these characters. Toru Furuya has kind of a "pretty boy" voice, Furukawa's Piccolo is husky but not very deep, Vegeta is high but kind of gruff. This is pretty close to what I'm used to with George, Chase, & Tang respectively.

& I'm pretty sure that's due to Wendee Lee's casting sensibilities. Problem is obviously they're being directed to do impressions, so it kind of takes away from that.
I think Horikawa's Vegeta is more smooth than gruff, at least with Z.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

I think Horikawa's Vegeta is more smooth than gruff, at least with Z.
Yeah, before the tobacco smoke made it more gruff.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:55 am

So Horikawa started to smoke? That's news to me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:15 am

Even if Prince did a perfect voice match, I'm glad that he's taking it in a different direction. Not because Ayres is bad--quite the contrary, I think his performance as Freeza has been f***ing amazing--but trying to "match" another actor's performance always results in an inherently inorganic performance, because the actor is thinking in terms of, "How would this actor say this line," as opposed to, "How would this character sound?" Heck, FUNimation's cast is proof of this, as they all started sounding much, much better when they stopped trying to imitate their Ocean counterparts and started interpreting the characters their own way.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:18 am

Ayres is perfect match for Nakao, if he's going in a completely new direction than that isn't promising to me.

Regardless if the scripting is still shit it doesn't matter his performance will still be hindered, like everyone else.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:So Horikawa started to smoke? That's news to me.
Yeah, he smokes. I don't know when he started to, though. He really shouldn't.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:So Horikawa started to smoke? That's news to me.
He's been a smoker for many years.